Chapter 2 – Nova
40 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Though my feet screamed in pain, I kept running. I knew that if those evil Elites caught me then I’d be dead meat for sure. But I didn’t know how long I could continue. I hadn’t eaten for 2 days, and with the constant running, this body was bound to burn out eventually. Even though I’m an Elite, my body can’t go much longer than a normal human. Even though I have the stamina and strength of a dragon, it’ll be tough to get to the city. I know I have to get evaluated in order to compete in the Elite Royale tournament, but if I die before then, it won’t matter in the slightest. So I kept going. I looked up at the status window looking before me in it’s ever-present golden yellow glow. As always, it said:

 

Name: Nova Farland

Class: Dragonborn

Unique Skill: Soul Of The Dragons

Money: 0 Rez

 

Stats:

 

Strength: 546

Agility: 324

Intelligence: 229

 

Skills:

 

Passive Skills:

Soul of the Dragons (Level 1)

Description: The soul of the dragons grants you dragon-like properties. You can breathe fire for a short time up to a distance of 20 feet, and have skin as tough as dragon scales. Your hands have large claws on them that can be used as weapons. At level 5, this skill allows you to grow wings.

 

Active Skills: 

 

Flame Breath (Level 1)

Description: you can breathe fire for 20 seconds up to a distance of 20 feet. The range and time increases by 5 for every one of this skill’s levels beyond the first.

 

Shout of the Fallen (Level 1)

Description: using the rage you feel for your fallen comrades, you can emit an ear-piercing shriek that stuns all who hear it aside from yourself.  Your unarmed damage increases by 50% against enemies who are stunned by the effects of “Shout if the Fallen”.

 

Heir to the Dragon Throne (Level 1)

You can transform into a dragon after feeling immense pain, rage or guilt. This effect lasts for 20 minutes, or until you run out of energy and/or lose the source of the transformation. All of your normal abilities are increased tenfold on the dragon state. You grow wings.

 

I sat down against a tree to rest. I know I can’t stay here for more than a few minutes, but any reprieve is better than none. I’ve got to get back to the Association’s main building to get myself tested as an Elite. After I get my S-rank, they’ll stop chasing me because I have a unique class. Suddenly, a man driving a cart pulled by a horse came around the bend. I jumped up. “Sir, could you please help me? I’m looking for transportation to the city of Avarise.”

 

“I’m not sure, are you a scam artist? Are your bandit friends waiting just down the road?”

 

“No sir, it’s just me. All I ask is passage to the city and nothing more.”

 

“Alright, I’ll take you. Hop in.”

 

“Thank you, sir.” I hopped into the cart. The man spurred the horse and we continued on our way towards the great city of Avarise, the capital city of Ranare. After a few days, I arrived at my location. I thanked the man and stepped into the city. I slowly took it all in. Large buildings made of an alloy called dura-iron made up the towering buildings. Between every few buildings were alleyways where you could go to purchase some cheap weapons or get robbed at knifepoint. Your choice. As I continued towards the heart of the city where the Association is located, there became a surplus of people living in poverty, begging on the streets for money to purchase food for the day. I suppose I’m one of them, considering I have 0 Rez, but due to my unique class I’d soon be one of the richest people in the city. 

 

Finally, after fending off beggars and aggressive males, I reached the association. As I approached the doors, they silently opened, allowing me to enter. I approached the front desk and requested that I have a professional observe my skills. “Of course ma’am, I’ll get you one right away.” I thanked her and sat down in the reception area. I’m glad that I finally got away from those terrible males. They were trying to capture me and sell me for money. A few minutes later, my name was called, and I stood up to go with the receptionist. She led me to a room in which a man was waiting with a clipboard.

 

“Hello, I’m Horus and I’ll be your specialist for today. It came to my attention that you would like a formal class and rank check?”

 

“Yes, that’s exactly it. How will I be determining these things?”

 

“We have multiple Elites on standby from each class. You’ll fight each one and whichever one you beat you’ll be put into that class.”

 

“Sounds good. Where’s the first one?”

 

 “Right there.”

 

An E-rank elite stepped out of a door on the wall, wearing tons of gear and holding a stainless sword. “I’m supposed to fight you first?” I remarked, before stepping forward to take him on. “Feel free to attack me in any way you like.” He yelled and charged me, sword pointed straight ahead for a stabbing attack. Compared to the movements of the monsters I’m used to fighting, the strike was pitifully slow. I unsheathed my claws and destroyed the back of his armor in a matter of seconds. He went down hard. I laughed. “Bring on the next one!” I shouted with a grin on my face. Within the span of a few minutes, I had already taken down the D-rank, the C-rank, the B-rank, and the A-rank. Now I just had to beat the S-ranker. 

 

A hulking, beast of a man stepped out of the tunnel. Immediately, I could feel the pressure of his pure energy. But in terms of energy, I’m in a league of my own. Before he could even blink I was behind him. It was all he could do to stay alive and block my onslaught of claw strikes. I leaned back and took a deep breath. He looked puzzled before realizing that I was probably charging an attack. He put up his shield just in time. My blast of flame breath was so hot it was white. His shield was now a slag heap on the ground. He stared at me in shock. My mouth, still smoking, opened and unleashed a scream of rage. Suddenly, he found he couldn’t move his body at all.  I dashed at him, my body becoming a blur on the ground, as if I were in a 1930’s movie. My claws tore into him. Before you could say, “oh golly the bloody dingo’s after me” I had taken him down.

 

Horus  stood with his jaw so slack it looked as if he had dislocated it. “Uhh, ma’am, if I may, what- uhh- class do you happen to be?”

 

“I’m a Dragonborn. My unique skill is ‘Soul of the Dragons’.” I laughed. “You better give me an S-rank.” Horus gulped.

 

“O-of course, ma’am. I’ll see to it right away.” He ran away. I smirked. What a moron. The strong control the weak. That’s how it will always be. That’s certainly how it was in my last life. I shuddered. Pushing the memories out of my mind, I left the arena. Before I could blink, someone had grabbed me from behind and pushed a cloth onto my mouth and nose. Even though I didn’t breathe in, the fumes of the chloroform still sneaked through my nose and mouth, muddling my brain. Then everything went dark.

1