6 STRANGE REQUESTS
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Marva could barely believe the absurdity as Sorem put her to rest on the bar counter yet again the same day. What they needed-she needed—was the hunchback. That was the only guarantee of freedom.

But instead, this fool spent the day abusing her power, all for the sake of finding some woman.

Now with her on the counter, that meant he had need for her. This was the last straw—she'd get him under control again.

"Prince—"

He grabbed her cage and gave it a violent shake before slamming it down, drawing everyone's focus.

Trembling, Marva thought better of engaging this bastard. He was unhinged.

Now with all her drive and energy adequately quelled, she bowed her head and went back into her power position, legs tucked up, fluttering.

At one time she'd enjoyed the rediscovery of flying. Now...now she couldn't stand it. One reason was Matax, the other was surely Prince Sorem. Yet a third reason remained. The more she used this meditation, the more knowledge flooded her mind. A time or two, she'd blacked out.

Gaining this much power and knowledge, seemingly overnight, terrified her.

"Innkeeper," Sorem called when the woman tried to hurry by with a plate of food. "I have a question. The woman from earlier, do you know her?"

The resistance this time was so faint it was barely a trifle. "Yes. She's my sister-in-law. Everyone loves her."

"Good," Sorem said, satisfied with the answer. "Why was she running away? What is she afraid of?"

"Oh." After a brief pause, one which caused Marva to flutter her wings faster, the woman answered, "She was avoiding Wyrn."

"Wyrn?" Sorem sat up, emboldened. "And who is this...this Wyrn?"

"He rules this valley."

The conviction in Sorem's voice faded when he said, "Oh?"

"Yes. He's the final authority on everything you see in this village and two other villages bordering us. He controls all Jaffo."

"Jaffo?" Sorem sat up. "What is a Jaffo?"

For a long while, nothing happened. Sorem repeated the question.

The silence that time drove Marva to open her eyes and witness Sorem's scorn for her.

"What is wrong?"

Marva wasn't sure at first but now that she looked, the glow along the innkeeper answered her confusion.

"She's under a spell. This entire valley is. Whatever they are is hidden." Marva was careful and measured when she warned, "That's why I tried to advise you against staying here. These...these people aren't human. I'd argue none of them are. They only have a human form."

In public, Sorem never spoke to her, but his stare meant he wanted more details.

"For example, the innkeeper's a succubus. But the men, I do not know."

Sorem's spirits sank. He stared at the countertop and muttered, "Even Vadde?"

"No," Marva said, because she could see the markers clearly. "She is human. At least she started out as one. Assuming these people don't transform her eventually. Her human form is very authentic."

And just like that, Sorem's woe vanished into satisfaction. Marva regretted not mustering up a lie. She couldn't tell many but that was what half-truths were for.

Now, instead of giving up on Vadde, Sorem proclaimed, "She is in need of rescue."

Marva would argue that so was she. But that would do no good. They needed that hunchback and quickly. Desperation drove her to make compromises.

"Please engage the hunchback, and I will owe you a favor. Simply engage him."

Sorem considered her words then turned to the still enchanted innkeeper again and asked, "Will Vadde come here tonight?"

The innkeeper scoffed, "If she's avoiding Wyrn? Not on your life."

Disappointed, Sorem threw a few coins onto the counter, snatched up his birdcage, and retired for the night.

Something about the way he moved convinced Marva that Sorem was not keen on cooperating. And she was right.

He tossed the cage down on the table in his room, sat on the bed, and demanded, "Why are you so fixated on this mission? It is not your mission."

The question, the very tone, had her backing up until her wings touched the bars. Although panicked, she was quick to hide her obvious investment in the completion of this quest.

Marva struggled to find a truth—she couldn't afford another lie.

"The faster you do what you are tasked, the faster I win my freedom."

She said it convincingly enough, she was sure, and yet, he still stared at her in the fleeting daylight. Finally, he let out a huff and kicked off his boots.

His intent was to sleep, and to sleep early no doubt in order to awaken in time to visit that lagoon.

But there was a problem with that area. Marva felt it even as Sorem trudged through the fields and into the forest the next day—there was something else here. Something...powerful.

Whether ancient or accidental, this forest allowed their entry and should they make a mistake, it would not allow them an exit.

Prince Sorem, that fool, didn't understand the danger in which he put himself each time he risked challenging rune magic of unknown origins.

Marva knew, so she kept her wings fluttering. She had to; she needed the knowledge of this valley to return. Somehow, she knew this place, but the memories were still buried deep.

Only one salvation came with their venturing to the lagoon that morning, the hunchback was already at his previous spot by the tree, watching.

Sorem stopped a good distance away, disgusted. "That awful hunchback." His fingers traveled to the dagger on his belt which he traced temptingly. "If only he were not needed."

Then I could expose him and kill him to win Vadde's favor.

Per their agreement, Marva had granted him the ability to hear conversations pertaining to him...in exchange for some of his thoughts.

Biting back a sigh, Marva reminded him, "Your quest is just. It is to save your beloved cousin. Why rush to do away with him now when it will come eventually?"

Despite her reasonable words, his fingertips still drummed on the jeweled hilt of his blade.

Finally, he sighed. "Fine."

Even without hearing Sorem's thoughts, she understood his intent as he found a tree to climb. They would watch this woman together.

Marva held her tongue though she wanted to scream at both these fools.

The sun was good and high for that morning, Sorem still resting forward on a tree branch when a grim conclusion came, Vadde was a no-show.

Delighted, Marva listened to each racing thought in Sorem's mind, pleased and in fine humor at just how insane he began to wax excuses.

She's injured perhaps. Or she's seen us—seen me. No. I've been careful. Blast that hunchback. He's run her off. He's ruined everything!

On and on he went until he gasped. The hunchback turned and made his way out of the field. Some distance away, his donkey waited, tied to a tree.

Finally, Marva thought. "Go back to the village and engage him this very day."

"Don't tell me what to do."

Sorem at least fell on his ass when he tried to climb down. Marva took some satisfaction in that.

But at least the bastard did as he was told. The hunchback wasn't all that fast in his pace, so it was easy to follow him back into town. He was a gentle sort, greeted by all who saw him. At this distance, Sorem couldn't hear all people said, but Marva could, and her heart began to pump in panic.

"Prince Sorem," she called, "perhaps—"

He boxed her and she took a tumble. Times when he was like this, she hated him.

Fine. She would give him no warning this day. He deserved none.

If she could ever pay Sorem a compliment, it would be for his skill of stealth observation—he was rather good at keeping out of the way.

In their time together, she never had the nerve to engage him in conversation. He was her captor, and it were best to study him rather than lob flattery.

Still, she thought to try. "It is amazing that no one is taking notice of you."

They traveled through the village at a leisurely pace behind the hunchback.

It was nearly thirty minutes later that Sorem answered her kind words. "I am the head priest for a reason, you know. Espionage is at the base of that." He would have continued if something hadn't caught his attention. Far ahead of them, the hunchback met upon the five burly men from some days prior and handed over the reins of his donkey. "Interesting...."

Moments of Sorem's humanity were few and far between but Marva felt sorry for him enough to say, "About the hunchback—"

"If you keep interrupting my concentration, I shall drop you in some water for a time. How is that?"

The threat stole Marva's drive in all forms. It was good to have it. Considering their situation, she should need no reminder of his cruelty, but she appreciated it, nonetheless.

While holding the donkey's lead, one of the big men pointed to a nearby shop. The hunchback hurried to peer into a window. He then dropped down and hid.

Marva shook her head at the absurdity. They were watching someone watching someone.

She hoped whatever interested the hunchback was something they could use to entice him to aid them.

Sorem's breath caught, and Marva sighed when she saw why. Vadde stepped from the shop, a small basket in hand. Before she walked on, she took off one shoe, hobbled to the corner where the hunchback hid, and emptied the dirt there without looking, presumably on the hunchback's head.

The little giggle to follow sounded like a pig finding food. To Marva's shock, it came from Sorem.

"She is adorable," he declared.

The hunchback brushed his long brown hair off as he stood and gave chase. Wherever the woman went, he wasn't far. A time or two, he didn't even hide. Those were the times he suffered the most.

Vadde past the bread maker and shoved a sign down. The hunchback tripped over it.

Times like these excited Sorem more. "She's noticed him. She's running."

And it was true, the hunchback closed in on her, reaching for the hem of her dress. She gained speed and disappeared behind a shop. The hunchback followed.

There was no hesitation this time, Sorem drew his weapon.

"This is the perfect chance—"

"Sir," Marva warned. "Sir!"

But it was too late. They reached the shop and looked behind it to find a poorly used path. It was hard to make anything out due to the dense vegetation but Vadde, picnic basket in hand, ran full force, and the hunchback chased. He was closing in.

Marva's foolish captor charged in without any forethought.

Despite Vadde's dainty run and the hunchback's sloppy pace, they were a good distance away.

The hunchback caught up in time to lift Vadde's dress in the back and slap her rear end.

A gasp left Sorem again and he gained speed. Marva struggled with something to do, to say.

Vadde's screams had the birds taking flight. Now the hunchback caught hold of her, and she struggled. When she slipped from his grip, the shoulder of her dress came down with it.

"That cad!" Sorem pumped his legs faster, determined to come to her rescue.

It was by the second shoulder of the dress coming down that Vadde came to a stop and wrapped her arms around the hunchback's neck, laughing.

The hunchback kissed her throat, then her lips then finally he took her left nipple into his mouth and sucked.

Vadde pulled him in but gasped. "Stop. Someone will see."

When he hoisted her against, reaching under her skirt, Sorem finally came to a stop. He left the path and hid himself behind a tree.

The couple shared a languished kiss before Vadde held his face and guided the hand under her skirt, between her legs, down yet again.

Basket still in hand, she looked left then right, took the hunchback by the hand, and slipped further into the forest.

Well. That was that. Or it should have been. But Marva found herself on the move.

"What in the...?" She looked up to witness the scowl on Sorem's face. "Where are going?"

"That's not right," Sorem insisted. "Somethings' wrong. He's enchanted her."

Marva thought to offer him foresight, a wider hearing, anything to get him to stop. But giving power without an exchange was reckless and forbidden.

She prayed he'd demand something of her, and after five minutes into the woods and seeing the hunchback and Vadde run in a field where he chased her before a playful tackle, it finally did.

"Allow me to hear them. Now."

"In exchange—"

"Anything. Just do it."

Marva hung her head to hide her smirk as she fluttered her wings and granted his wish. A flood of memories rushed to her, and she tensed.

This was the only advantage to using her power unabated. Just like Matax had said, the more magic she used, the more she gained.

As Marva could already hear at a distance of her choosing, she listened with him.

The hunchback landed atop Vadde but was careful to ease up. "Have I hurt you?"

Her laughter died down, replaced with a serene tone. "You're back. You've made me whole."

They shared a kiss and he complained, "Wouldn't have guessed you'd want me back after you threw dirt on me. Literal dirt."

Her hands traced his face as she confessed, "You left without a goodbye. And I waited in that lagoon for you. So yes, I was angry."

He was gentle as he brushed the black hair from her eyes. "I had to leave that way. It was already so hard to leave with you so angry. And as you recall, you were angry long before the morning."

She let out a sigh and turned over, giving her back to him in the grass.

"Princess..." the hunchback said, stroking her bare shoulder, "if you're still cross, I'll let you calm."

"No." She grabbed him before he could do just that. "No. I'm still vexed but it doesn't mean you must run from me."

"Princess?" Sorem's mouth hung open. "Princess...the princess of Rowil? She still lives?"

Marva could admit to his awe, but she waited, because the biggest shock was yet to come.

Vadde turned, holding her lover's face as she asked, "Husband, will you take me here?"

That sharp intake of breath from Sorem was why she muted him when he screamed, "Husband!"

0