14 ABSOLVED
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Marva watched on, appalled.

"I for one have no problem stealing stolen land," Matax declared.

After a long pause, Matax made his way down the hardly-used path and held out his hands to Jeze.

She blinked at him but once then charged, tripped, and stumbled into his hold.

Matax dipped to catch her and laughed as he swooped her up. "You look absolutely frightfully stupid as you try this."

Jeze grinned wide.

At each smile, Matax's eyes lit up. Marva watched them, slowly dying inside.

Everything about their presence was unbearable, especially when Matax pressed their foreheads together then stole a kiss. "So," he whispered, "the Jaffo suggested we cuddle first then try to fuck. I think it's a good idea."

Vadde gasped. "What?" Her eyes settled on Wyrn who eyed her in kind. "Is this really the advice you should be giving these two?"

"And what's wrong with it?" Wyrn challenged.

For a brief moment, Vadde had no response. Finally, she said, "I suppose—I suppose it's not a terrible idea. But why is it our business—?"

"It's not our business and it's not mine. You're the one making it into far more than it is."

The tension had Marva looking between the couple. A pit in her stomach formed and she sagged.

What was happening? Marva was unsure, but she fell to her knees and held her gut. Picking her head up to observe this crowd took everything in her, and she was greeted with a large face and a grin.

Matax.

His black eyes scanned the cage—he couldn't see her in this form, but he said, "If you're feeling sick. You're in for a slow death, night fairy. Stay out of my way."

"Matax," Jeze called from a distance. "I think I have to go."

With an instant grin, Matax stood. "Go where?"

"Go. Go go," Jeze said, unsure. As expected, she broke out into a giggle again.

Matax approached her and crouched. "Come on. I hate walking with you."

Jeze regarded his back for some time. "Oh, this is nice. Isn't it?"

With a small jump, she clambered on. Matax was sure to tease Vadde and her husband before bustling into the brush. That left the three big people.

The hunchback's anger came off him in waves. Each time he shot off an insult, Marva felt sick. But it was when Vadde answered with equal hate that a pain shot through Marva's body.

It was them...this couple. Their tested love was...painful to absorb.

And Marva was absorbing it. She used all her strength to cling to the cage bars and entreated, "Prince Sorem? Prince Sorem, please. I need...I need some distance from these two. Please. They're...."

But Sorem lingered in Wyrn's presence, bathing Marva in that anger and hurt. She slid to the cage floor, winded. And by the time he turned and caught up with Vadde whose cries of anguish resounded, even before she'd shed that actual tear, Marva flopped down, struggling to compose herself.

What was happening? And why didn't she know?

The world faded. When it came back, Matax and Jeze had returned, laughing while shaking their feet.

Nostrils flared, Wyrn asked, "What is that smell?"

Jeze laughed. "I missed," she answered to which Matax let out a hearty chuckle.

"I'd figured you'd aimed."

Wyrn's scowl adequately conveyed everyone else's disgust. "You two are stupid."

Voice soft and tentative, Vadde took a step closer to her husband and suggested, "I'd just seen a river down the way. Maybe...they could get cleaned up there?"

But Wyrn turned away from her and climbed on the wagon without giving an answer.

The sound Vadde made had Marva clutching her gut in pain. She needed to be away from these two, whatever they were.

Everyone piled into the wagon, all but Sorem. Instead of continuing on the road, however, the hunchback guided the mules in the direction the princess once took. After a short trek, they reached the river and Matax jumped down and picked Jeze up.

"I suppose we can abandon these shoes finally."

"Never!" Jeze declared. "We're washing them, too. And besides, if we can't, we can always just go to the border and shove both feet in so that they disappear, too."

Matax scoffed. "As funny as that would look, I think we should hold off for now. Come."

Sorem led his horse to the river, further upstream, and allowed it to drink its fill.

From there, however, Marva observed the warring couple who didn't exit the wagon. Wyrn still at the reins with Vadde sitting with her knees to her chest.

They seemed calm, if not disinterested.

Wyrn was the first to speak. "You frightened me."

Posture unchanged, Vadde admitted, "You frightened me, too." Her next attempt at speaking had her burying her face in her knees. "If anything happens to you, it's my fault. Why can't you understand that I can't stand that thought? I'd selfishly rather I die and leave you instead."

At the silence, Wyrn looked back at her. They made no movement until he climbed over into the wagon and she clung to him.

"Throw the charms away," she begged. "They'll bring you death."

Wyrn gave no argument as he sat beside her, pulling her to him.

"I won't lie and say it's not dangerous. But I don't know if it's all right to just...toss them to be picked up by someone else. What if they get hurt instead?" He let out a sigh and pulled her closer to him. "But why did you have to do this, Princess? Hadn't you any faith in me?"

"It was wrong, and I'm sorry. And I'm sorry about this—this ridiculous quest business. All of it. Please. Let's turn back."

Both hands wrapped around her, he rubbed vigorously. "Maybe it's not a curse, though." Wyrn stared out at the river. "I'd left, trying to see how far I could take you or if I could find some nice attractions. A few coins could grant us passage into a few lands. I...I even found some unicorns for you to ride." He leaned in close and whispered, "Their presence is supposed to be...um, well, they radiate...desire."

Vadde picked her head up. "Desire?"

Wyrn shrugged. "Maybe with a bit more desire, I could manage to give you what you wanted."

She leaned away from him, brows furrowed. "We're not getting the baby, are we?"

He didn't answer at first but finally shook his head. "No, darling, I don't think we can." His eyes drifted to her lips and he took a kiss. "But look, we're on a quest, and we're so close to where the unicorns are. I—I hadn't imagined I'd gain part of the werewolves' territory. Isn't that good luck? And we'll go see the unicorns and...and maybe some of its magic will fix me."

Vadde held his face and turned to him fully in his tight embrace. "There's nothing wrong with you. I'm just impatient."

Whatever she did, it made him flinch.

"Besides," Vadde said, "you do this very well and I'd never say it was broken."

The languished kiss between them ended with him holding her hand in place.

"Let's wait until tonight. After we figure out a way to see the unicorns. It won't hurt to try."

Vadde let out a groan. "This is one disadvantage to traveling, we're forced to wait. Back home we could just put down some runes and enjoy ourselves whenever we wanted."

Wyrn laughed then kissed her again while stroking her cheek with his thumb.

"Good that offspring come to us with difficulty. At this rate, your appetite would have us spawning an entire army."

"My appetite!" He pressed his fingers to her lips, and she laughed while whispering against it. "I never see you complaining about my appetite."

He kissed her chin, then her neck, simultaneously bringing his right hand up to cup her left breast.

It was brief but Marva noticed it. Judging from the immobility of Sorem, the prince saw it, too.

Maybe that was why no one realized that Matax and Jeze...were gone.

Wyrn was discrete to pinch Vadde's nipple on his next stroke down her arm before he broke the kiss and hopped from the wagon. "Come on. Let's go see about...." His eyes scanned the empty riverbank as his lips parted. "Those two."

Vadde joined him in his confusion. "Where are they?"

"Wherever it is, it's certainly up to no good."

Where they were, was across the river, racing toward them. Jeze kept falling, forcing Matax to run back for her. Finally, he hefted her across his shoulders and ran for dear life.

There was a shallow bridge down river and Matax stomped across it. He didn't stop moving, or laughing, until he reached them yet again.

"You won't believe what we found," Matax said.

Jeze slipped to stand. "Or who."

Wyrn ignored her laugh and asked Matax, "What were you two doing?"

Sorem's breath hitched before he ran towards them. "Princess," he said, ignoring al others, "would you like to see a unicorn?"

Vadde's face flashed red.

Her gripping of Wyrn's hand was automatic but Marva worried more about Sorem's motives.

Hmp. Good. Always remember who showed you your first one, Sorem though, triumphant.

"That's," Matax began, stifling a snicker, "is what we wanted to tell you. Across the river is open land. It's a business. We can enter it from here."

Relief spread across Wyrn's face and he gave Vadde a loving smile. "See? It's a good omen." He didn't seem to mind relinquishing his stolen thunder as he ran to where Sorem's horse drank and peered across. "Great. Let me secure the wagon and we can go."

Matax grinned wide then fought back a laugh. Jeze, grinning equally wide, struck him in the stomach.

"Shh!" she ordered.

Traveling with two yellow fairies was certainly taking its toll on everyone's patience. Sorem secured his horse as well and hurried down to test the bridge.

There was no railing or visible rope. In fact, it was a path of wood, propped up by some rocks. Water passed underneath rather easily but should heavy rain ever strike, someone standing there would no doubt get washed away.

Vadde met him there. "Prince Sorem, have you thought about my—my request?"

Eyes cast low, Sorem tested the bridge. "What? Oh—oh yes. Yes, I've—I've thought about it. I'm sorry. I still need some time to—to reflect and mediate. I must consult my heart on the matter."

"Oh." Vadde hesitated then agreed. "I understand. If—if you'd consider it, I'd greatly appreciate it."

"Well," Sorem answered, still focused on the bridge which he climbed up on and stomped, "it is a matter—a matter of life and death, you see."

"Oh?"

Wyrn reached them and she brushed herself off and took his hand. His slipping from her grip came as a shock.

"For now," Wyrn explained, "let's just not go as a couple. Jaffo still have a bad reputation to some."

They reached the stable in no time, Wyrn nearly overtaking everyone. But he slowed, breaking into a smile when they closed in. He looked behind him often, perhaps to be sure his wife didn't vanish from reaching a barrier.

"A dwarf runs this place. He's a bit prickly but not terrible," Wyrn assured.

But ten minutes later, they weren't greeted by a dwarf, at least, not to Marva.

Yes, the man was of dwarf size, but he lacked the one important thing for a dwarf, the source of their magic, a beard.

Wyrn was taken a back. He stared at the dwarf but cleared his throat. "Um...I'm back and I've brought—brought my friends. Um...."

Matax and Jeze huddled together, snickering.

The dwarf, standing before the fence leading to his barn, eyed them.

"What's so funny?" he asked.

Jeze was the first to bite back a laugh, followed by Matax who wouldn't look at the unicorn expert.

Wyrn became serious and asked, "Sir, what...what happened to you?"

The dwarf's hand went up to his chin but stopped short. "If I'm honest, I don't know. I fell asleep under that tree. Just woke up to find all my beard gone. It'll take a year to grow it back. You're a Jaffo, had you said?"

Nodding absentmindedly, Wyrn answered, "That's right."

"Good. It's the dirty brownies that'd done this. I'm sure. You promise me justice and I'll wave the fee. Bad enough I lost a bag of gold two days ago. Now this?"

"Gold?" Wyrn asked. His head rotated so slowly to face Matax that he nearly looked possessed. He stared Matax down but answered the dwarf. "Gold, you say?"

"There's no justice living under the werewolf's rule!" the dwarf complained. "We've gotta rent and we get no protections."

But Wyrn stared Matax down rather than offer the dwarf any assurances.

"Well, that's a fine deal, isn't it, Jaffo?" Matax said, clearing his throat. "Good dwarf, how does this...fertility thing go? Nothing morbid, I hope."

"What?" The dwarf looked up at him and Matax and Jeze broke into a laugh. Without a hint of embarrassment, he told them, "You wouldn't believe the dumb, weird things people attempt. It's not for fertility. It's for a wish. All you've gotta do is ride one and make a wish. That's all. But one side effect is that the magic of the unicorn leaves a residue on women, and they tend to give birth within a year. But despite the gross assumptions, there'ain't nothing sinister here."

Vadde and Wyrn traded a glance and he nodded.

She drew herself up to her full height and stepped forward. "Well, good sir, I—we'd like to try."

Jeze gasped and hurried to stumble until she was standing beside her. "As would I!"

The dwarf looked Jeze up and down and declared, "You, okay." When he settled on Vadde, he shook his head, "But not you."

"What?" Vadde gasped, devastated. "But we can pay."

"Yes. And you can pay till forever and a day, you're not getting anywhere near a unicorn. If you do, you'll regret it for years to come."

Sorem waited for Wyrn to do something. Once he felt sure no protest would sound, he stepped forward, bold. "Now see here, this is a princess, and you will respect her as such."

The dwarf cocked his head. "Oh?" He gave a deep bow then said, "How's dat?"

Sorem bristled but Wyrn cut him off. "Stop. Leave him alone."

Matax couldn't believe his eyes. "But Jaffo...." At Wyrn's defeat, he turned and asked the dwarf, careful to keep his eyes averted from the shaved face. "Why can't she go? Do you have a problem with princesses?"

"It's not who she is," the dwarf explained, "it's what she is. I bring her anywhere near a unicorn, and it'll go berserk. I'm sorry. If I still had my power, I could probably giv'it a try. But no beard, no magic. You've got terrible timing."

He waited and Vadde finally gave Jeze a nudge. "You go on."

For once, Jeze didn't laugh or snicker. "No," she said, her voice genuine, "no. I'll be okay. It wouldn't be as fun. It's just...it's just a silly ole unicorn. We can find regular horses to ride. Won't that be fun?"

"Um, yeah," Vadde muttered but she was already heading back toward the river, her feet falling faster with each step. "Yeah, sure."

Wyrn watched after her then let out a sigh.

The dwarf shook his head. "The reaction's always the same with one-a them." He turned to Wyrn finally. "Now, about my brownie problem."

While Wyrn forced himself to answer the dwarf, giving him advice on which plants to keep in key areas, Sorem went after Vadde.

He found her sitting in the wagon, a despondent look on her face.

Marva expected him to approach but everything in his thoughts said he didn't want to risk calming her. He planned to use this opportunity to his advantage.

He more than earned that chance when everyone returned to the wagon and prepared to leave.

"We're going home," Vadde announced.

Sorem's heart soared. For while Vadde acted on impulse, he counted on the laws of diving promise to interfere.

"We can't go home," Wyrn told her, climbing up into the wagon, "we've accepted a quest. Breaking it now will lead to worse luck."

Vadde stared at her feet, trembling when she begged, "Please."

The wagon didn't move for some time, finally, Wyrn said, "It's too far to get back before dusk. We'll find an inn and see about it tomorrow."

Silence greeted his words as Vadde hung her head. Marva waited for Wyrn to flick the reins but instead, the hunchback didn't move.

Right hand held up, Wyrn pleaded, "Come closer to me, Princess. Now."

It was Sorem to yelp at the first gutter growl. One werewolf stalked from the tall grass, then two. When the full pack came into view, Wyrn held his hands up in surrender.

0