18 SWALLOW THE SUN
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The temple of the Fairy King out-shined all others. It was summoned, conjured up with fairy magic and grown out of the ground rather than built.

As with most structures of importance, it stood on a steep hill overlooking the kingdom of Rowil.

Sorem, long forced to abandon his horse due to Vadde's bitter fight all night, held her in a vice grip and dragged her down the road. Even now, hours from when he first stole her away, she still struggled. Where did she find the energy?

The white tower resembled at tree at its base, even at this distance. Upon reaching the hilltop of his own tower once in the past, Sorem found that it was not his imagination. The tower was...organic to some degree. The white roots of the building resembled something eerie.

Fairies. Other than the Fairy King, himself, none were worth much use. And none were stronger. So why wasn't Sorem making much ground?

Moving with Vadde at his side was laborious, made worse by the damn troll marker which trod on ahead of them some distance. No matter how fast they moved, which wasn't all that fast because the princess wouldn't let up, they couldn't seem to outrun this blasted hunchback's domain.

"He's doing this on purpose," Sorem muttered. "Blast him."

Sorem didn't loosen his hold, but she walked beside him as they continued on their path toward Rowil. That was a relief, because she was a lot of work.

Getting her and keeping her on the horse had been the hardest thing. It made the two-hour journey to Rowil from the werewolf territory last a good six.

Only now in the light of day, upon seeing the troll marker well ahead of them, did she calm. Sorem, eager to leave the hunchback's territory behind, picked up speed to test a theory.

Vadde planted her feet, forcing him to drag her on. That was the reason he slowed in his stride once more and she walked on beside him.

This situation wasn't ideal, but Sorem still found it unbelievable.

Other than the prospect of leaving the troll marker, she offered no other resistance, a fact that convinced him all the more that this was an enchantment. Someone truly reluctant would curse and scream? Would they not?

Now, with night fleeting and the sun dragging itself up above the tree line, Sorem found the forest path on either side of them eerie. Was this also the hunchback's power? He did not care.

"What exactly will you do with me?" she asked at length. "Do it quickly and leave me here. I do not care anymore. I'd take that to being disappeared."

Now, she was talking nonsense. "I'm an honorable man," Sorem said, face set in a frown. "For you to even suggest something like that is beyond insulting. And that is the very reason I could no longer stand to see your suffering."

"Suffering?" Vadde waited but he had no other words to give her. "What suffering?" When he didn't answer, she started to struggle yet again.

At this rate, he'd have to use more force to hold her. And how would that look? Bringing her back to her people bruised?

Therefore, he explained, "You're under an enchantment."

She fell silent for some time then said, "I am aware of that."

Her words had his feet coming to a halt. He turned and regarded her in confusion. "How are you able to know? And if you do know, why do you fight me?"

Eyes heavy, red lips trembling, she shed a tear and said, "I don't understand what you mean. What does my enchantment have to do with you?"

Upon looking ahead, Sorem could barely make the troll marker out. He gave her a tug and they walked on.

The silence after that had him glancing at her on his left.

He wondered how much of her senses were intact. "What honorable man would see you in such distress and leave you there, do you imagine?"

She was upset, that was clear to see, and yet, she gave no quick response. In fact, she instead asked, "How exactly do you plan to end this enchantment? You act as if I don't want it ended. Of course I do, but there is simply no way."

Annoyed, Sorem reminded her, "You said it yourself. Once you leave the hunchback's valley, you will be free from the spell. And it is true. The closer we come, the less you resist my efforts."

He risked doing just that, walking faster.

She hurried along beside him but looked out at the marker and then up at him again, alarmed.

"Prince Sorem, please. Be reasonable. You've been so kind till now. Please be reasonable. I don't want to leave this valley. If my enchantment must come at the price of leaving. I don't want to! Please! I'll disappear from my husband's eyes forever. I do not want to do this. Please."

Husband. That one word had Sorem coming to a stop despite knowing the troll marker would carry on without them.

Now, without movement, he could see that she trembled. Her eyes were red and raw, but whether from anger or tears, he was unsure.

She was upset, however, and by extension, so was he.

"I am a prince. I am a man of honor. I will not leave you to be a hunchback's plaything—anyone's plaything. And the moment you come to your senses, I hope you will offer me a proper apology."

The lone tear this time had him heaving a sigh.

"You hurt him," she said, her voice breaking. "You hit him with a rock. I don't even know how much you've hurt him."

Her eyes held something beyond sorrow. Sorem could describe it as nothing but passion. For a fleeting moment, she almost had him believing in this faux love.

"Let us get you from this valley in order to speak."

She anchored herself. "Please. Do whatever it is you want and just let me return to my husband. Please."

Sorem was forced to drag her by both hands. "Why do you keep saying such despicable things? This must be a part of the spell," he grumbled.

"Please. Just do as you like and let me go. Please."

All energy drained from Sorem's body. He still faced forward though he held her. Disgust fueled him as he began to walk. She still hurried along with him, no longer crying, but negotiating.

"If that is what it will take. Please. And here is fine. Right here on this road."

"Please, stop speaking."

They traveled in silence with little to say until the troll marker came into view.

It no longer moved.

"The end of the valley," he cheered. "We've reached."

Vadde let out a scream that had the birds taking flight.

"No. Please. Why must you do this? Why? What must I do to get you to stop? We have riches! We have so many. I'll get you gems or gold. I swear it. Please do what it is you want and leave me here. He'll never pursue you. I'll never tell."

Sorem whipped around to face her. His right hand caught her in the cheek on its own. That must have been what happened, and yet, he held his hand high, ready to strike her yet again.

Her lip bled, but her eyes held no defiance, just a bitter resolve. "Would that be a better fit?" Now with one hand free, she rooted up her dress. "Fine. Then carry on. Do what you must but leave me in this valley, I beg."

Once she was out of what she wore under, which wasn't much, she waited.

He didn't look down to where she'd thrown it. Instead, he shook his head, disgusted.

"You can't help what you've become, what he's made you. But I swear, you will live with your head held high after this. I won't let anyone know the sorted details."

But they made no movement toward the marker which wasn't all that far now. It would probably require more dragging but he could get her past it.

"Don't you want to go home?" Sorem asked. "Does that never cross your mind? To see your family, your people? To come and go as you please? Surely that desire is there. I only wish to end that enchantment and offer you just that."

Vadde's expression softened. It was the most gentle he'd seen her in hours when she regarded his grip on her right hand then his eyes yet again.

"I do want to go home. But how can you provide that? That curse is life-long."

Sorem sighed. "Not if I get you out of the valley."

Eyes cast down at his chest, she was thoughtful. He took the opportunity to scan the surroundings for her unmentionables and wore a blush as he spotted them and gave them back to her.

"Here. Please stop saying such awful things. I'm here for a rescue, not a plunder."

Face crimson, she shed another tear. She looked pitiful and hopeless there using one hand so he risked letting go of her right wrist.

She didn't run and even turned away from him as she put her underwear on once more. Once she smoothed out her clothes, she couldn't make eye contact.

"I offer you salvation, Princess, and you've greeted me with cruelty."

What he expected was for her to lash out, or to even turn and run, not to crouch down with her face in her hands, crying.

"I do want to go back. I more than want it. I dream about it. More than once, I've awoken in the night thinking I was back in my own bed. Dreaming I could walk hand-in-hand with Wyrn and go home. I would give anything for that."

"Wyrn?" Sorem's blood boiled. "Stop speaking nonsense. He's stolen you away."

Her body no longer trembled as she remained still. Finally, she looked up at him and stood.

"Sir, I think perhaps you've misunderstood, and I've misunderstood. Some—some years ago, an awful prince stole me away with evil intent. He—he nearly succeeded."

"The hunchback—"

"Please stop calling my husband that."

"And please stop calling your kidnapper your husband!" Sorem snapped.

Realization dawned in her eyes, and she gasped. "My captor? My kidnapper? Oh no, sir, you're wrong. He's never kidnapped me. Why would you think that?"

Bitter and infuriated, Sorem pointed at the troll marker in the distance. "That right there. Your very own admission. His very own admission!"

Vadde was gentle as she sighed. "Oh. The Jaffo men stealing women away."

She said it so casually as if it was not even a trifle. Sorem had to remind himself that she wasn't in her right mind. No normal person would speak like this then.

"But I wasn't stolen away here. I was given away." She crossed her arms, hugging herself but kept her head hung. "I apologize for accusing you of what I did. But—but you must understand how it looks."

How it looked.

Sorem's blood ran cold. "You're being used by a wicked hunchback, even in broad daylight. Even in an open campground with no regard to your own sensibilities and I was supposed to stand by and allow it to happen? And how many others had he given you to?"

Her gasp held anguish. "Sir!" She looked up at him, appalled. "I do not defend my behavior but surely two people in love do foolish things. Haven't you ever done something foolish with the woman you loved?"

The question threw Sorem completely. He didn't appreciate the edge on her glare.

"Hadn't you?" Vadde said yet again. "Isn't it...a bit addictive to be entangled with a lover? I admit...." Eyes scanning the ground, she sighed. "I admit, my...appetite...." She brought her hands to her face, laughing through a sob. "Oh dear."

Sorem watched her with a heavy heart. "The enchantment must be waning. Come. Let us continue. I've sent word to your father. He will meet us soon."

Voice muffled, Vadde insisted, "That is not the enchantment of which I speak. We truly are misunderstanding one another." She wiped her eyes and stared up at him, renewed. "I am cursed, sir. I cannot return to Rowil. That is the enchantment. And yes, in the past Jaffo men had...had carried out terrible acts such as stealing wives. But I was not stolen. And I am not in distress. The spell for the valley is to offer the Jaffo safety."

"Safety from what?" Sorem asked, intent on showing the shaky logic of her reasoning. "From whom?"

Her hands fell at her sides. "From enemies." After staring at his chest for a time, she met his gaze and said, "They're ~"

Sorem could not make out the words. He could not even make out the shape of her mouth.

His furrowed brow was why she sighed.

"You mean them harm. That is why you cannot hear their true form." She pointed in the distance to the troll marker. "That spell is to ensure their safety. When you take me out of it, because I know what they are, it will wipe those memories clean and render me invisible. I'll lose my husband and my friends and return to a land where I am not welcome." Hands clasped together, she entreated, "Please let me go."

Sorem stared at her.

Hurt.

When he fought to find the right words to describe himself, only one came to mind. He felt hurt.

"I just want to rescue you."

"From what? From a loving husband?" At his silence, she stepped forward. "From good sex?"

The word had Sorem flinching. He hadn't realized at first, but he'd taken a step back. His lips had parted but he didn't know why.

"Is—is that why you insist I'm whisked away?" She looked him up and down, disgusted. "Because I'm enjoying the throes of passion with a hunchback?" A laugh left her. "And I'm enjoying it quite often?"

The next outburst had her doubling over.

But to Sorem they were daggers in his ears. "This is no laughing matter."

"Oh," she said with a gasp, fighting to breathe, "I disagree." When she composed herself enough to stand once more, she wiped her eyes. "I understand now. You're...you're used to the cold stilted marriages of the monarchy. Marriages for land, or power, or treaties, rather than love."

"I've seen love and passion," Sorem countered. "I've encountered it! And—"

He stopped short.

What was he doing arguing with this madwoman?

"And?" Vadde challenged. "And? And what? And they dull with time?" Her own words had her staring up at him in wonder. Maybe she'd finally heard what she'd been saying. "I suppose that's true. Love like this does tend to fade in time—passion at least." There was a peacefulness about her expression when she met his gaze again. "But ours has not. I love my husband. I—I was willing to trade my body to stay with him if I had to. That was no jest and I had not made that decision lightly."

Each word from her lips had Sorem feeling like a pit was dragging him in. He was devastated.

If not for the power of the Jvalan, he would have taken it all for...

"Lies." Sorem focused on the cage. Perhaps it was asleep yet again. What he found left his world spinning. The prison of the Jvalan...held nothing. Empty. Relief filled him. "You're lying," he told the princess.

The woman had the nerve to look shocked.

"I had a night Fae. No one could lie in its presence, not to the one who'd captured her. That was why you'd told me of the enchantment and of the Jaffo's evil deeds." He nodded down at his belt. "And she's escaped." When their eyes met again, he said with conviction. "And I believe nothing you say now."

Mouth hanging open, Vadde struggled with another lie, but none reached her.

"You speak of marriage and love and passion but that is not what I see when I look at yours and his behavior. It's crass. It's savage. It's base and hedonistic. A wife begging her husband to take her in public isn't love, it's the fantasy of a pervert."

"Then I'm that pervert," she said. "And never should you set your mouth to accuse my husband again. Do you hear me?"

Her posture held a challenge, but he grabbed her hand and dragged her on. "Enough!"

"Wait." She tried to pull at his grip with her free hand. "Wait. Haven't you been listening? Didn't you hear anything I've said? I do not want to leave. There's nowhere to go!"

The first outline by the troll marker drew Sorem's focus. He was confused by it but thrilled when the man on horseback came into view.

"King Hern!" The king even came in person.

What was confusing was the next row of knights, and the next after. He'd brought an army.

"Look! Look, Princess. Salvation. Look! Your father's arrived."

Shock made Vadde go limp. It gave Sorem the chance to pull her along even faster. That troll marker neared. She no longer resisted.

"Ahoy! Ahoy!" Sorem shouted. We're here."

The border closed in. Finally.

Finally!

Finally. They were free.

The king did not look their way. Instead, he stared ahead, raised his right hand for his men to come to a stop, then bellowed, "Archers at the ready!"

0