Chapter 10: Woman’s Best Friend
166 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tamma fastened Lug to the harness attached to the front of the wagon. There was some resistance from the brillick, but after some patting on the head and a promise of treats, Tamma was able to successfully put the animal in place. She curled her lips and let out a sharp whistle, drawing the animal's attention immediately. Tamma then marched forward and Lug followed right behind her while dragging the cart behind him.

"Lug is very well trained," Miwah said as she kept her eyes on the brillick that trailed behind her and Tamma.

"'Well-trained' might be a bit of an exaggeration," Tamma replied. "He's more 'play' than work. But good ole Lug is more loyal than any person that I've ever met."

"That is the most valuable trait for a person or an animal to have," Miwah replied, still looking at the brillick as it trudged along the forest's floor.

"Wouldn't replace him for anything," Tamma said as she smiled.

"Where did you find him if you are fine with me asking?"

Tamma sighed and stretched out her arms above her head. "It's a long walk back to Farrowport. I guess it's one way to kill a bit of time on the way there." The hunter then looked at Miwah. "Are you sure you're all right with sitting through the story?"

Miwah nodded. "Of course."

"Alright," Tamma tapped the front of her chin with her finger. "Let's see. I've known Lug for about seven years. Can't believe it's been that long since we've been together."

"I assume he was not always as well-mannered as he is now."

"Nope," Tamma shook her head and chuckled. "He wasn't a troublemaker either though. Lug was rather shy and timid as a pup." Tamma looked down, keeping her gaze fixated on the forest's floor. "But I suppose it’s all my fault."

Miwah remained silent, instead choosing to keep her attention on the peaceful animal behind them that continued to follow along happily despite Tamma's abrupt pause. "If it is too hard for you to recall, I understand if you would prefer to change the subject," Miwah said.

"No, no. I can explain. It was a long time ago. I've long since moved past it." Tamma lifted her head back up, her eyes somewhat reddened, conflicting with her gentle smile. "And I don't think Lug even understands what happened."

Miwah gave one more confused glance at the brillick. "I am a bit confused," she said.

With a hefty sigh, Tamma lifted her head up and continued the march towards town. "I was twelve. My father had given me a bow as a gift before he and my mother departed back to Bahnwa. They left me in the care of my grandmother until their return." Tamma paused. For a moment, the only, the only sound came from the gentle crushing of soil and leaves. "I still haven’t seen my parents since they departed. My grandmother was my parent at that point. But she was old.”

Tamma looked to the side, holding onto her arm as her posture slouched forward. “I was frustrated. I took my bow and just... wanted to use it. On anything. I ran off into the forest with my arrow drawn. There wasn't any target I had in mind. If it moved, I was going to aim for it."

"I see."

Another pause ensued. Miwah kept her eyes focused of the distressed hunter beside her as their progression slowed to a crawl.

"It didn't take long for me to come across a shadow moving through the trees. I homed in on it. Held my breath. I followed it as closely and as silently as I could. My nerves started to get to me. Looking back, the whole thing only lasted a few minutes at most. But to me, it felt like... hours. Following. Tracking."

Tamma lifted her head up and looked straight ahead towards an empty patch in the middle of the forest. She stopped. Grass swayed from side to side from a gentle breeze. "I had a clear shot. I drew my arrow. Closed an eye. Held my breath. It was a brillick. I saw it grazing in the grass... and as it did... I pulled the arrow back even further. When I let go, I shut my eyes."

The hunter looked down at her hands. "As soon I fired, I regretted what I did. I closed my eyes. Couldn't bear to see the arrow hit the brillick. But the sound of metal piercing flesh forced me to look. I heard a whimper. Almost as quickly as the arrow had soared the air, the animal had disappeared. But there was a trail of blood left behind in its wake."

Another paused ensued. "You followed it?" Miwah asked.

Tamma nodded. "Yes. It didn't get far. The arrow was stuck in its side. The trail of blood led me to it. She was laying on the ground. The way her chest rose and fell. I could tell that she didn't have much time left. I knelt down beside her, turning her head towards me." The hunter let out a blunt snicker before turning to face Miwah. Her eyes were red but dry. "You might think I'm crazy for saying this, but I think she knew that I was guilty. There was a look of... resentment in her eyes. But as I went down to look at her, I saw Lug."

"That was his mother?"

"Yes. This little pup crawled out from underneath her stomach. She was protecting him. From me," Tamma said as she put a hand on her chest. "I can still see how he looked at her dying mother. Lug couldn't have been bigger than my hands placed next to each other. He... didn't know what was happening. The way he nudged her with his snout. It looked like he was trying to play with her. The mother nudged him out of the way, like she was instructing him to run. But he wouldn't budge. Then she looked at me one last time."

Tamma shook her head. She blinked twice, clearing out the few tears that formed in her eyes. "I'm telling you Miwah. This brillick was talking to me with her eyes," she said as she pointed her own pair with her fingers. "All of her anger was gone. She was asking for mercy. To put her out of her misery and to spare her child."

"Did you...?" Miwah began, hesitant to finish her question.

"Yes. I moved Lug out of the way. I took the knife I brought with me and made it as quick as possible." Tamma took in another sigh. She turned her head back to Lug. He looked back at her with the same anxious look as before. "I left her there. I took Lug with me. We got out of the forest as fast as possible. While I was running, I could hear Lug whimpering the entire time. His heart was racing; I could feel it through my top and on my chest. Once we were out and in the edge of Farrowport, I stretched out my hands and just… stared at him. If brillicks could cry, then Lug did. Big wet eyes. Deep and rapid breaths. The poor pup was terrified."

"And you took care of him from then on?"

"We've been together ever since," Tamma said with some relief in her voice. "I like to think I've taken good care of Lug since then. They've got a lot of predators. Who knows how long he would have lasted if left in the wild? But that still doesn't make what I did anymore right."

Miwah slowed her walk down so she would be right next to the brillick. She rubbed her hand against the back of the animal's neck. He let out a gentle purr as he wagged his head while marching forward. "I've never seen a brillick before, but Lug seems healthy and happy. He does not have to worry about getting eaten by whatever lurks in this forest. Just look at how strong and friendly he is!"

"You're took kind, Miwah," Tamma said with a chuckle. "Brillicks can be strong and loyal if they're raised right."

"And that is exactly what Lug is."

"Thank you, Miwah. I appreciate your sincerity."

"I am just being honest."

The hunter tilted her head back and gave out a hearty laugh. "You have a way with words, Miwah. But now that I've let you know a bit about myself, maybe you could tell me a bit more about you. We don't get too many people from Xiwao because of the war."

The seamstress stopped petting the brillick and caught up with Tamma. "Oh, I am not too exciting," she said awkwardly.

"Come on, Miwah. I found you hanging from a net in the middle of a forest. There has to be more to you than just being a seamstress from Xiwao."

The seamstress bobbed her head up and down as she contemplated her answer. "I suppose that would be fair. But I do not have any stories like you do. My entire life could be summarized in a few sentences."

"Let me hear it," Tamma replied with a smile. "I'm all ears!"

5