Chapter 23: Looted
87 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Miwah felt around for her Beacon's diamond. She shifted the stone across her chest and pressed it against her heart with the palm of her hand. The seamstress closed her eyes and inhaled through her nostrils. Tamma stared, waiting for the transformation to take place. After a few seconds of her eyes being shut, Miwah opened one eye and looked down at her arm. Both eyes opened wide when she noticed the long sleeves of her robe.

"Yes, Miwah," Narrita said mockingly with a smug grin. "Show me what I want to see."

The seamstress pressed the jewel against her heart one more time. After a short pause, Tamma gave Miwah one more nudge with her elbow. "Is everything... all right?" she whispered.

Miwah shook her head from side to side. "I-I am not sure."

"We're busy you know. We've got other matters to attend to besides the two of you. So, I'm not going to ask politely anymore." Narrita wagged the fingers of her open palm. "Give me those necklaces."

Miwah shifted her hands from her chest to the side of her hip where she kept her pouch of Beacons. "You cannot take these!"

The Cutthroat leader giggled. She flicked the stray strands of hair from the front of her face and stepped forward. Pierce followed suit, uncoiling himself to raise his head above Miwah's height. The snake widened his jaw, rattling his tongue as he loomed over the woman. She raised one arm above her head in a defensive manner. "Come on... Mimi. Or whatever your name is. Just make it easy on everyone and hand over the jewelry. No one has to get hurt." Narrita looked at Lug. With a quick shift of her head, two of the Cutthroat gang members darted forward and took hold of the brillick. He squirmed and squealed as his legs were seized.

"Leave Lug out of this!" Tamma shouted. She pulled her arrow back again, only to retreat when Pierce shifted his attention from Miwah to her.

"Don't be a hero, Tamma," Narrita said with scorn. "You'll just be wasting everyone's time."

"What should do with the pig?" Horace shouted. He held a long wooden rod coated with studded metal in one hand. "I think little guy would make for a good breakfast!" The man licked his lips as he knelt to examine the brillick closer. Lug squealing turned into a whimper as Horace brushed the side of the animal's face with the cold metal of his weapon.

"Only kill it if the little lady doesn't comply," Narrita said. She faced Miwah again, still holding onto the side of her hip. "Well. It's all on you."

Miwah reached into the side of the band that fastened her robe shut. She pulled out the sack and dropped it into Narrita's open hand. "Miwah..." Tamma said, reaching forward just the seamstress stepped back.

"There," Miwah muttered. "Now are we free to go?"

Narrita unfastened the string around the pouch. She flipped it to one side, letting the necklaces fall out onto the palm of her hand. She smiled with glee once all four necklaces were in her palm. The gold chains and the jewels attached to them glistened from the sun's rays as she brought them closer to her face. The rest of the gang walked closer, unable to take their eyes off the ill-gotten loot.

"Now that's a haul!" Narrita smiled from ear to ear. "Especially this purple one! What is it? Amethyst?" The woman pulled out the necklace and dangled it in front of her face. "I might have to keep this one."

"You got what you wanted," Miwah said. "Now let Lug go free."

"Why are you issuing out orders, huh? You think you can tell me what to do in your situation?" Narrita stuffed the necklaces back into the pouch and tucked it away in her jacket pocket. "I don't see you lasting too long here in Farrowport with that kind of attitude."

Tamma stepped forward, placing herself between Miwah and Narrita. "She's new here. Miwah is still learning how everything... works here."

"You obviously didn't tell her enough about us Cutthroats." Narrita reached down and snatched the bow out of the hunter's hands. "Nobody tells us what to do!" She tossed the bow back to one of her men. "Now, get going!" She pointed towards the alley behind her with her thumb. "And leave the wagon behind. Unless you want to drag it back along with that brillick of yours. Except he’ll be the only hide you’ll have in there."

"But Narrita," Horace said with disappointment. "I was lookin' forward to some brillick bacon in the morning!"

"We've got meat already. Let Tamma and her little pet go free,” Narrita said while contemptuously looking at Miwah from the top down. “Oh, and the brillick too. That way we can keep her hunting and take in a cut of the profits the next time we see her."

Horace grumbled, kicking at the ground as he stepped away from the wagon. "Whatever."

"Go get the brillick and get out of here. The Market Center is winding down and more people might try to come through here. We don’t want you spoiling our surprise."

Tamma shook her head, her lips pursing as she turned to obey the Cutthroat leader's command. She unfastened the harness around Lug's body and walked next to Miwah. "Let's get out of here," she whispered in disappointment. Miwah kept her eyes focused on the exit, avoiding looking at Narrita altogether. From the corner of her vision, Miwah could see the woman's smile grow wider as they left the intersection. Despite her anger, Miwah maintained her composure, staying right behind Tamma as they trekked through the narrow alley.


"What happened back there?" Tamma asked. Both her face and voice were filled with disappointment. "Why didn't you use that transformation magic from before?"

"I tried, Tamma!" Miwah exclaimed. All three picked up the pace, verging on a full sprint as they looked behind them to see if the Cutthroats followed them. "I followed the instructions that Yalch gave me."

"Some power you've got there!" Tamma replied with frustration. "If I had known that you wouldn't have been able to use that magic transformation of yours, I would have taken the long way around!"

"We should have gone that way regardless! Their entire gang was waiting for us in that alley!"

"You could have at least scared them! You think someone getting engulfed in light and completely changing your outfit is normal? Half of them would have turned around and ran away once they saw that long blade!"

They left the alley together. They stopped next to one of the walls of the closest building, resting against the corner of the exit. Both leaned forward with their hands on their knees as they gathered their breath. Lug darted out next and took a spot next to Tamma.

"And what if they did not flee, Tamma? What would I have done then?" Miwah said as she lifted her head to look at the exhausted hunter.

"We could have... taken them."

"Even the snake? You saw how long those fangs were, correct?"

"Yeah, I've across Pierce on more than one occasion. But you managed to take out that grizlewulf. If you can do that, dealing with Pierce wouldn't have been any more difficult!"

"I think you overestimate my abilities." Miwah got up and brushed away the strands of hair that had gone astray. "I am only a Rank 2 Purifier! There's only so much I can do."

"Rank 2?" Tamma said with confusion. "What are you talking about?"

Miwah rubbed her eyes. "I wish Yalch was here right now. He is much better at explaining these things than me. Although you probably would not be able to see or hear him anyway."

"Oh right. That little ghost fellow you brought up earlier. Maybe you should ask him where you can find a book on this whole Purifier thing you've got going on! It'd be nice to know when you can and can't transform. As you can see, it can mean the difference between life and death!" Tamma raised her voice, drawing the attention of nearby pedestrians.

Miwah put her fists on her hips and tilted her head while facing Tamma. Her eyes narrowed and her face angled upwards. "I only learned about this yesterday, Tamma. You know about as much as I do on how being a Purifier works."

The hunter got up from her relaxing position and placed a hand on Miwah's shoulder. With her breathing back at a normal rate, she looked at Miwah in the eyes. "I'm sorry if I came off as angry, Miwah," Tamma said with a sigh. "Getting all those furs and meats took up a lot of time. And that wagon cost me a pretty coin. But I don't fault you for what just happened. I've only got myself and the Cutthroats to blame. But mostly me for being so centered on trying to teach those lowlifes a lesson for all the times they've stolen from me and other hard-working merchants."

"I understand. If given an opportunity to get back at Eijnar and the rest of the Ghenka Clan, I would have most likely acted the same."

"A bit of revenge can taint anyone's thinking."

"What now?" Miwah asked. She looked down at Lug who was still cowering behind Tamma. "Are we going to your home?"

"I'd say so. I think I'm done for the day. After losing my wagon, I don't think I'm in the mood for hunting. Not like I'd be able to bring much back anyway. I just want to lay down for a bit and come up with a new plan once my mind's on straight."

"I think that is a good idea,' Miwah replied. "Looks like Lug could use a bit of sleep too. I know for sure I could."

"It's settled then. Looks like we're heading back to my place for the afternoon," the hunter said. She turned her head to the opposite side of the fountain. "As usual, stick close to me if you don't want to get lost."


Art Spotlight: Horace Alvoroso

3