Chapter 28: Change of Plans
78 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"What do you know about the Cutthroat gang then?" Miwah asked as she hopped off the bed. She made a straight line for her shoes and put her feet inside them without bending over. 

"They've got to spend all of that stolen loot eventually, right? What's the point of getting all those coins if you're not going to use them?"

"Some people just like to collect and steal for its own sake."

"Yeah, but that's not what the Cutthroats do. If they did, they'd be more than wealthy enough to leave this place and rob people in wealthier sections of Remcroft. They like to blow their coins on frivolous activities. Gambling. Alcohol. Stuff like that."

"I assume there are areas all over Farrowport where one can participate in such past times."

"And you'd be right!" Tamma snapped her fingers together. "But there's one place that the Cutthroats love more than anywhere else. It's almost like their home."

"Where would that be?"

"Colligan’s Tavern!”

Yalch clapped his hands together and smiled. "That's good! Now we have a place to start looking!"

"It's not that easy though," Tamma replied. 

"I assumed it would not be. Things have not been easy ever since my arrival."

"What we saw in the alley was just a fraction of their numbers. I know they like to convene at Colligan’s every once in a while to spend their spoils on ale and gambling."

Miwah straightened out the kinks in her hair and stood closer to Tamma. "Are you saying that we will have to take on an entire gang just to get those Beacons back?"

"Unfortunately," Tamma said with a weak nod.

"At your rank Miwah, I don't think you'd even have enough time to take them all out! And that's even if your other stats were enough to deal with them in the first place!" Yalch said. "Maybe we should come up with another plan! Where else do they like to hang out?" the ghost asked Tamma. 

"Not sure," the hunter replied, shrugging her shoulders. "I try to make sure I interact with them as little as possible. They could have members anywhere in the town at any time. Coming across one wouldn't be too hard. But finding Narrita and the others isn't guaranteed."

Miwah looked at Yalch with a ponderous gaze. The ghost faced her, looking just as perplexed as she did inquisitive. "You got something brewing in the brain of yours, Miwah?"

"No one can see you unless they have Potential, correct?"

"Yep!" Yalch replied. "The worst part about being a spirit." His hands drooped down low and his smile inverted in a moment. "Gets lonely when I'm not working with Purifiers."

"Right, right. But remember what we said earlier? We will have to use that to our advantage! You could do some scouting and report back to us."

"Ohh!" Yalch smiled. "Yeah, that's a great idea, Miwah! What do you think, Tamma?"

"I'm fine with it. Plenty of places to hide by Collilgan’s. Yalch goes in, keeps an eye on the place and comes back when it's a good time to strike."

"Perfect!" Miwah said with confidence. "Are you sure you want to come along though? Perhaps it would be best if I was the only one to go on this mission."

"What? What makes you say that?" Tamma asked.

"The Beacons were my responsibility. I should be the one going to reclaim them. Not to mention that I am the one with the Purifier form to defend myself with."

"Normally I'd agree with you. Life isn't worth risking of some jewelry." Tamma then looked towards Yalch with one eye. "But your friend here told me that I can use that same transformation spell as you! If backing you up means that I can get in on this Purifier business, I'm all for it!"

The discussion disturbed Lug from his sleep. He groggily got up and began rubbing his snout against the side of Tamma's leg. "What about him?" Miwah asked while looking down at the brillick. "As much as I like Lug, I do not think he would be of much use."

The hunter knelt and started brushing back Lug's hair. "He'll be fine by himself here. He gets a bit antsy when he's alone in a small place for a long time. But he'll just have to make do." Lug started to whimper as Tamma continued to stroke his nape. "Come on, boy. It won't be long. Hopefully."

"Oh, he looks so friendly!" Yalch said with joy. He hovered in front of the animal, waving his hands in front of Lug's face. Despite being mere inches in front of the brillick, he paid the ghost no mind as if he wasn't there at all. Yalch's excitement then turned to disappointment. "See what I mean? Being a spirit isn't all that it's cracked up to be."

"How many people do you think have Potential, Yalch?" Tamma inquired. 

The ghost tapped his intangible chin with his just as intangible hand. "That's a tough one. If I had to estimate... it has to be less than one percent of people for sure. Maybe one in one thousand!"

"Wow!" Miwah exclaimed. "What a coincidence that both Tamma and I were able to meet as individuals with Potential."

"Not as much as you'd think. If there are Beacons nearby, folks like you are unconsciously drawn to them. Remember what I said earlier back on the escape boat?" Yalch pointed towards the antennas that now stood up straight and twitched slightly. "There's still others in this town with Potential! You and Tamma aren't the only ones."

"I guess that means we need to hurry up and find those Beacons before someone else gets to them," Tamma said. 

"That's what I was talking about! We don't want any of them getting into the wrong hands! It has happened before. Definitely not something that I want to see happen again."

"I think we could use a bit more information on that, Yalch," Tamma said. "What do you mean by 'wrong hands?'"

"You know. People that want to use their Purifier abilities for personal gain. You two can become very powerful with enough training and leveling up. But that kind of strength can easily corrupt. I've seen some turn on their friends and use their power on innocent people!"

Miwah gasped. "That is terrifying! If you had told me that beforehand, I would have been even more careful!"

"Sorry. I had to pick and choose the really important details that night."

"But you trust me?" Tamma asked with a cocked eye. "I know I wouldn't do anything like that. But why do you have faith in me, or even Miwah, as opposed to anyone else?"

Yalch shrugged his shoulders. "Gut instinct I guess."

"You have no gut, Yalch," Miwah stated. 

"Oh, right," the ghost replied with a frown, poking his underside with one finger.

"Seems like we'll have to act now then." Tamma stood and punched the palm of her hand. "There's no way those Beacons will be going to good people if Narrita is holding onto them."

"Are we going to leave for Colligan’s now?" Miwah angled her head towards the window. She squinted her eyes and followed the trajectory of the sun. "It still seems early. Would they be out drinking at this hour?"

"You really do have a Xiwaoan mindset, eh lass?" Tamma said with a chuckle. "Cutthroats don't wait for a specific hour to start guzzling away. It's not like getting drunk is only for special occasions here in Farrowport."

"With Yalch around, I suppose it could not hurt for him to go out scouting for us."

"I'm all for it!" Yalch exclaimed. "Anything to get those Beacons back and out of the hands of evil!"

"That settles it then," Tamma said. She reached over to the corner of the room and picked up her bow and quiver. "Looks like we're making a trip down to Colligan’s! The hunter then slipped on her boots only to have Lug come by and rest on her foot. The brillick placedhits weight on the ground, pinning the woman's sole to the ground. "Come on boy. Don't act that way now! We've got important things to deal with!"

Lug turned his head and gave Tamma a long store with wide open eyes. He whimpered again before adjusting his body further so that he covered more of the hunter's foot. 

"Aww, looks like he's afraid of being lonely!" Yalch said, putting his hands in front of his mouth. 

"He'll be just staying up here for a few hours by himself. Lug is always looking for attention." Tamma huffed and lowered herself, patting the brillick on the side. "Up, boy. We'll go for a walk for a bit. How does that sound?" The brillick opened his mouth, letting his tongue droop out and saliva drip across the wood floor. "You two fine with putting our plan on a bit of a hold? That way Lug can get his exercise for the day in case everything doesn't quite pan out."

"That is fine with me," Miwah said. 

"Me too!" Yalch added. 

"Good." Tamma continued to pat Lug on his side, making him pant.  Besides, that gives us more time to question Yalch."

"Oh! That is a good idea!" Miwah said while smiling. "I have got a lot of questions for you. And try not to skimp on the details this time around."

The ghost place one hand over where his heart would be and raised the other to the side. "I promise to do my best!"

3