Chapter 37: Pep Talk
67 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Both women continued up through the crooked passageways of the lower part of Farrowport. Despite having been on the run for what seemed like an eternity, neither one looked back during their sprint. Miwah came to a halt first, bringing herself to a complete stop as she pressed one arm against the wall. She dropped Liberator to the ground and placed her now free hand on her knee as she hunched over to regain her breath. Tamma stopped as well, turning around as she brushed back her wavy brown hair. 

"I can't believe... it worked..." Tamma said as she paced around in a small circle. She continued to inhale rapidly. During her resting, another white flash obscured her. Once the light faded, her clothing returned to normal. She looked at her arms and then her legs, her face baring a look of disappointment upon seeing her original attire on her body. "That's it?" She then looked at Miwah who was dressed in her Purifier Ensemble. "Why does yours last longer than mine?"

Yalch flew in front of Tamma, waving his hand. "Oh! I can explain that to you! But maybe when you have more energy. It's a lot to take in and you'll need to stay focused to remember it all."

The seamstress picked herself up off the wall and shook her head. "Did you just say... that you did not believe it worked?"

Tamma gestured to herself with her thumb. "Me?"

"Yes, you. You just said that a few seconds ago."

"Oh, right. I'll be honest. I didn't have full faith in that plan. But see what confidence can do? I was able to convince you to go along!"

Miwah clenched her fists. She closed her eyes and took in a deep breath through her nose before letting it out through her mouth. "I will forget you just said that. Because the plan worked. But from now on, we will have to take a vote. Yalch will decide if there ever is a tie."

"Sounds fun!" Yalch interjected. 

Miwah took out the pouch and emptied the remaining beacons into the palm of her hand. A single necklace fell out, a lone rounded sapphire stone. All three closed in on the Beacon, staring at the sole jewel. 

"Is that the only one?" Tamma asked. "Wasn't there a purple one too?"

"I... think so..." Miwah replied hesitantly. 

"Yep. There were three," Yalch said, pressing his thumb and fingers across his perfectly round chin. "You two each have one. Then the one Miwah is holding. Looks like the amethyst necklace got left behind in the scuffle."

"After all of that... we still failed," Miwah said as her entire body went into a slump.  Then the bright light engulfed her, putting her back into her normal attire.

"I wouldn't go that far," Yalch said. He hovered over Miwah's shoulder and let his hand slip through her back as he mimicked the motion of a pat. "The Cutthroats only have one Beacon. That's a lot better than them having all three!"

"But it is worse than them having none!" Miwah snapped. Yalch flew backwards, shivering from Miwah's mean glare. "And we need to talk about how you almost got both of us killed!"

"It was an accident," Yalch replied, putting his arms close to his body as he shivered. "I'm sorry!"

"You gave away our cover! We could have been in and out if you would have just remembered that Narrita and her snake could see you."

"I was worried about Tamma!"

"So you called out her name aloud?"

"I...I..." the ghost continued to tremble as his big eyes grew even larger. His mouth quivered up and down as the ghost let his arms dangle straight down.

"Miwah!" Tamma called out. The seamstress turned around, still looking angered. "Everything worked out in the end. Give the little guy a break."

"You are one to talk!" Miwah turned around and gave Tamma the same frustrated expression that she gave Yalch. "If you decided to take the safe route home, we would have never gotten into this ordeal in the first place!"

"Sorry for taking you to the bathhouse to get washed up after being crammed inside a crate for who knows how long! If we had skipped that part, then I would have had more time to get some sales in before getting robbed by the Ghenkans. Oh. And wasn't it you that decided to show of your precious Beacons to all of Farrowport? You were practically inviting the Cutthroats to come around and rob us!"

"In Taipen, I did not have to worry about thieves robbing me with every step I took."

Tamma turned her head slowly from side to side, spreading her arms wide. "You notice something Miwah? This isn't Taipen!"

"I know!" Miwah stomped her foot and wadded up her fists, letting them dangle to her sides. "I wish I was back home instead of this filthy, horrible island!"

"A lot of good wishing is going to do you!" Tamma shot back. "Why don't you just—" As Tamma took another step closer to Miwah, Yalch flew in between the two, spreading his arms across as his eyes fervently darted between both women.

"Stop! Stop! There's no need for you two to start fighting now! Both of you made it out fine and we still have one more Beacon. I'm just disappointed as you are that the other one is in the possession of the Cutthroats but having lost one is a whole lot better than losing all three. Don't you two agree?"

Miwah and Tamma both turned their heads to the side, avoiding eye contact with one another. "Yes," both women simultaneously in a drawn-out fashion.

"Good! Remember, you aren't enemies! You're friends. It's only been two days and how many times have you helped each other out?"

The hunter chuckled. "A lot."

"Exactly. Now, it doesn't matter whose fault it was that the Beacons got stolen. All that matters now is that it's in safe hands again."

"I suppose so," Miwah replied. She looked to the ghost with narrowed eyes. "I still do not have a grasp on this Purifier business. Not only with the transformation, but with the responsibilities that accompany it. If defending these Beacons and making sure that they stay out of the possession of the wrong people is a crucial part, then perhaps I am not suited for this."

"No, no, no! Don't say that! You have done a great job so far! Trust me, Miwah. You have what it takes." He put a hand on her shoulder and then turned his head to face Tamma. "You too! Every Purifier's journey is a rough start. Nobody starts off mastering anything in life, right?" Yalch continued to maintain eye contact with Tamma. By the way she looked back at the ghost, she was intent on listening to what he had to say. "You weren't an expert hunter the first time you stepped into the forest, were you?"

"Nope," Tamma said with a wag of her head. "I already told Miwah about my disastrous first hunt." 

"And you, Miwah. Could you sew a full gown from the first time you were given a needle and some thread?"

"Of course not."

"So why should being a Purifier be any different? It's one of things that takes a lot of time and a lot of experience just to become competent! You two know that I've been doing this since before your great grandparents were born, and there are still things that I'm learning! But what I can say for certain is that you two have done amazing so far!"

"Why? Because we are still alive?" Miwah said with some sarcasm. 

"Exactly!" Yalch bobbed up and down.

"I like the way you think, Yalch. Always looking at the bright side," Tamma replied. "We need more people like that in Farrowport."

"Thank you!" The ghost took his hand off Miwah's shoulder and hovered roughly a foot in front of the seamstress' face. "Miwah. Don't let a small bump in the road deter you from greatness."

Miwah grinned. "That sounds like something my father would have said. Although... if what just we went through is a 'small bump,' then I dread of what the more serious obstacles will look like."

"That's where practice and getting stronger comes in. That battle may have seemed like a life-or-death situation, but in time, encounters like that will be a breeze!" Yalch lifted one hand and snapped his fingers, but no sound came out. 

"Seems like we'll need a lot of practice to get to that point," Tamma added. "Even when I was a Purifier, Pierce still overpowered me. I was helpless until Miwah rescued me. I could have died on the first day!"

"It happens," Yalch said his arms hung low. Both Miwah and Tamma gave the ghost wide-eyed stares. "Not often. Rarely, actually. Probably only once now that I really think about it. And it's a complicated story. But I was new to the job back then! With me around, you two will be just fine."

"What do you say, Miwah?" Tamma stuck out her hand, requesting for the seamstress to shake it. "Want to put our little spat behind us and focus on being Purifiers instead?"

With a firm grip, Miwah shook her hand. "Absolutely. I was just a bit frustrated is all. But I have calmed down now."

"Good! The best part of this job is seeing friendships bloom!" Yalch closed his eyes as he grinned from non-existent ear to non-existent ear. "We'll have to go over some the basics, Tamma. Miwah and I have already gone through them, but it couldn't hurt for her to hear about them a second time. After that, it will be a while before either one of you can access your Purifier forms again, so it might be best to lay low for about half a day or so."

2