Chapter 40: The Better Part of Farrowport
50 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

All three stayed close together as they travelled through Farrowport under Tamma's leadership. The town was busier than the day prior as the warmth from the sun began to evaporate the rain from the day prior with citizens continuing on with their daily lives. Tamma pushed through the sea of Farrowporters while Miwah stayed as close to her as she could, keeping an eye on Tamma's curly brown hair that stood out among the crowd. Yalch floated above the hustle and bustle, letting his gaze wander around the surroundings.

"How much longer until we make it to the estate?" Yalch shouted out. Tamma paused the procession, turning her head upwards to the sound of the ghost's voice.

"It's in the center of the island. So, a bit of a walk from here," Tamma said as loud as she could to overcome the ruckus of the city. "But this is why I usually like to go through the alleys. I get to miss out on trying to worm my way through all these people!"

Miwah felt the hair from the arm of a bulky man brush past her face. Accompanying the fuzzy arm was a pungent aroma that made her nose curl. "I am starting to think that it might have been best to take our chances with the Cutthroats and gone through the shortcut. Even all the rot in the alley has a better smell compared to your average Farrowporter."

"We'll just have to lie low by being around as many as possible for the time being. Cutthroats get mad and then they get even. And you took out Pierce. That only means they're going to be looking for blood the next time we meet."

"We cannot just hide indefinitely, Tamma. Sooner or later, we will have to confront them again."

"I know, I know. But seems like we'll have to be aiming for later. We are not ready to take them on at our Rank."

In a few more minutes of walking. the crowd began to disperse. The cobbled and cracked ground of the main area of the town gave way to clean and well-kept stone. The sand in the cracks disappeared, turning into soil with patches of grass jutting out. The attire of the people began to shift as well; individuals wore more elaborate tops and fancy pants as opposed to the dirty and tattered rags of the average pedestrian.

The buildings of the area were larger and more ornate along with wider spaces in between them. Tamma made a quick scan of the surrounding area, her body shaking as she stepped further into the center area of the island.

"Fortunately for us, law enforcement is actually present here. That means we're less likely to come across you know who in this area."

"These buildings look nice." Miwah's head tilted backwards as she stood on the tips of her toes to watch the smoke rise out of the chimneys.

"Yeah, well, don't get used to the scenery. This is where the upper-class folk live. They're not too fond of people from the lower part of Farrowport loitering around. They're more than willing to call the Farrowport Guard on anyone that looks 'suspicious.'" Tamma turned around and eyed Miwah. The hunter's eyes slowly moved up the length of the seamstress' body before she put on a large frown. "Speaking of suspicious..."

"What?" Miwah said nervously.

"A Xiwaoan would definitely stick out. Back down in the Market Center, nobody would be concerned about someone from a warring country if they were accompanied by a local. But here in the Governor's District, I'm worried that might be a different story. Wouldn't put it past the wealthier people up here to cry 'spy' the moment they lay eyes on you."

"Then what do you suggest, Tamma? This seems like the kind of detail that would have been important to know prior to our departure."

The hunter scratched her head, pondering what to do as she looked up at the cloudy sky. She snapped her fingers as an idea came across her mind. "Got it!" She then took off her cloak and wrapped it around Miwah's shoulders. Tamma then took the hood and pulled it over Miwah's eyes.

"Hey!" the seamstress exclaimed.

"Just play along, lass." Tamma pressed one hand against Miwah's back and made her hunch forward. "Now hold that pose."

"What convoluted scheme have you come up with this time?"

Tamma tugged on the top of the hood, giving Miwah just enough vision to see the smiling hunter standing before her. "My plan at the tavern worked, didn't it?"

"Yes. But we would not have needed that plan if you did not have the idea to cut through the alley to save a few minutes!"

"One out of two isn't bad." The hunter let the hood droop down, obscuring Miwah's face once more. "Keep that hunched posture. Maybe cough a couple of times. And whatever you do, don't let anyone see your face. Understand?"

"You are going to pass me off as sickly?" Miwah replied, following the instructions Tamma had given her. Her upper body slumped over as she placed one hand over her mouth.

"Yep. There's a special healer on the Governor's Estate. If anyone tries to stop us, I'm just going to tell them that you have a highly contagious disease. Even the Guard will turn around the other way if it means not getting sick."

"I hope this works, Tamma," Miwah muttered. She placed the inside of her face against her mouth and let out another cough. "I really do. I do not want to get arrested for being a spy. Spending my days in a cell is the last thing I need right now."

"You trusted me on the last one. You can trust me again. Just keep your head down and follow close to me." Tamma walked slowly across the smooth stone. The path they travelled along was wide, allowing for plenty of room for the relatively few patrons that utilized it. The men and women that walked by in their silk and satin clothing all looked at the pair of women walking along the edge of the stone trail with dubiety before going on with their business.

As Miwah kept her body hunched forward, Tamma walked in front with exaggerated steps. One leg would step forward in long a stride while the other limped behind her. She let her arms dangle at her sides, swaying from side to side as she continued to stagger along. Doing as Tamma told, Miwah's head remained low. Her eyes remained elevated just enough to watch Tamma continue her charade, making her wince from embarrassment. With all her strength, Miwah fought the urge to make a remark and maintained the posture that was instructed of her.

The group entered further into the Governor’s District. The path became narrower, forcing them to walk closer to the other pedestrians using the sidewalk. Those that walked by kept their eyes focused on Miwah as they stepped off the trail and onto the grass. As they passed other Farrowporters, their whisperings were just loud enough to be heard.

"That doctor mage needs to head down to the lower section of Farrowport. I'm tired of all the ill coming through here."

"Of all the times to bring the sickly... they chose to come by in the middle of our walk?"

"She looks like a goner to me."

The comments continued. Miwah began to angle her head to the side to get a better look at those who were addressing her until an abrupt stop by Tamma put the procession to a complete halt. The hunter stepped back and leaned next to Miwah's ear.

"Just our luck," Tamma whispered. "Looks like the Farrowport Guard is here. Just keep doing what you're doing, Miwah. You play ill really well."

Miwah faked a cough and patted her chest. "Thank you. I try." She lifted her head enough to see the men on the path ahead. Underneath the long and vibrant green leaves of the weeping willows that crowded the edge of the path stood two men clad in chainmail. Sheathed swords dangled from their hips. The metal of their armor rattled as they readjusted their upright posture. Despite being straight ahead and Tamma and Miwah being the only ones facing them, the two guards didn't appear to notice them. Rather, they stayed focused on the part of the road that travelled deep into the distance.

"Depending on who's working, these Farrowport Guard can be either friendly... or real sticks in brillick dung."

"Ah," Miwah replied. She faked another cough.

Tamma placed one hand over her head to block out the sun from view. "I don't recognize either of the two fellows ahead so it could go either way. As usual... just play along."

"Understood."

"What about me?" Yalch asked, hovering between the two women. "Is there anything I can do to help?"

"Yeah. Don't distract us," Tamma replied. "We're going to have to keep calm and steady. Things could turn bad fast if we're not careful."

2