Chapter 43: Farrowport’s Finest
45 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tamma pushed away the sword by its flat side. She continued to stare at the guard with an angered look. The man let his arm dangle to his side, still holding onto his sword. His angered expression matched that of Tamma as both continued their long, silent glares.

"Quit playing around, Alson!" Tamma's frown immediately inverted and her posture relaxed. "You're lazier than Lug! You wouldn't stop us from coming through if we told you personally that we're here to take out the Governor!"

"Tamma!" Miwah blurted out with worry.

"Don't get yourself in a knot, lass!" Tamma stood next to the guard and placed her arm across his back. "Alson and I go way back! We've known each other for years!"

"Since we were kids!" Alson added, pointing to himself then to the hunter.

The look of worry on the seamstress’ face shifted to embarrassment as her cheeks turned red and her eyes drifted to the side. "Do I still need to pretend that I am sick?" Miwah asked Tamma.

"This fellow doesn't care. As long you're not doing anything to make him work, he's fine with turning a blind eye! That's how I'm able to spend to so much time up here in the Governor’s District! I can only get away with it when it's Alson's shift."

The man put his sword back inside the sheathe and then used his other his hand to point at his forehead. "You call it being lazy, I call it working smart. I get my coin regardless." The guard then faced the hunter. "So, who's your friend?"

"Alson, meet Miwah! She's from a small village in Xiwao." Both parties extended hands and shook them.

"I could tell."

"She's a seamstress, so maybe one day she can finally sew up that hole in the middle of your tunic!" Tamma grabbed part of the fabric that covered Alson's front, pulling on the aforementioned section. The guard looked down and stared at the gaping hole towards the middle of his outfit.

"Stop tugging on it! You're going to make it bigger!"

"I’m surprised the captain hasn't gotten on your case about it."

"He has." Alson took one hand and smoothed out the wrinkles Tamma had made. "But I had it just right so that he could only see it up close."

"Do I still need to pretend to be sick once we get past the gate?" Miwah interjected. She kept her hands on the edge of her hood as she shifted her eyes between the two. "Or can I stand upright again?"

"Alson won't snitch on us. That would require him to go to his captain."

"You know me too well, Tamma." Alson scratched the back of his head, shyly turning his head away from the hunter. "What brings you and your new friend to this section of Farrowport?"

"We need to meet Chaston. Would you happen to know if he's in his office at the moment?"

"I think I saw him roaming the property not too long ago. But I don't know for certain if he's in his office right now."

"Wonderful. Hopefully he hasn't gone for one his mid-afternoon jaunts. He could be anywhere on the Governor's property."

"And you know how chatty he can be when he starts talking with one of the other scholars."

Tamma rolled her eyes. "Don't remind me. We could be here all day if things don't go our way."

"Looking for a bit of advice on something? Hope I'm not coming across as nosy, but I might be able to help you out depending on the circumstances."

"It is a very important matter." Miwah stepped closer to the other two, taking both of their attention. "We need an expert's advice as soon as possible."

"She's right, Alson. As much as I'd like to stay here and keep talking, we did come here for a very important reason. And only Chaston's expertise can help us out."

"Oh. Maybe I could come along with you two? Three people looking for Chaston could find him faster than just two."

"Don't you have to keep watch of the entrance?" Tamma asked as she looked at Alson confused.

"I don't have to. If I know that there won't be any trouble, that is. Ever since I've worked this position, I don't recall a single serious confrontation happening. Sure, I've had to shoo away a few drunkards and the occasional lost child, but no one bothers to intentionally cause trouble up here."

"Or do you intentionally not confront it?" Tamma asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Eh, you want me to help you or not? You know how Chaston likes to roam and that Xiwaoans aren't the most well-liked people in this part of the town. If you let me stick with you two, I could keep an eye out for Chaston and at the same time make sure no one nosy comes by and causes you two trouble."

"I appreciate the offer, lad. Just don't come crying to me if the captain comes by and sees you've abandoned your post."

Alson shrugged his shoulder and waved his hand. "The man’s not even around at the moment, so I've got nothing to worry about. He’s taken the week off for personal reasons."

Tamma looked at Miwah and then up towards Yalch. The ghost shrugged his short stubby shoulders. "Are you fine with Alson tagging along?"

"Whatever gets us to finding Chaston faster, the better."

Alson took hold of the belt around his west and gave it a short adjustment so it fit around his waist better. "I'm your best bet at finding him! We'll just stop by his office first."


As the party moved to the far end of the estate, they travelled past few other upper class Farrowporters. Most didn't notice the Xiwaoan woman, and those who did stare and whisper among themselves were promptly silenced as Alson placed on hand on his weapon and gave them a cold glare. The short walk ended once Alson led them to a wide building towards the far end of the estate. The structure was relatively low; only one-story in height, being dwarfed when compared to the Governor's building itself.

Along the walls were a series of square, dark black windows. Alson stopped in front of the entrance to the building, placing one hand on the handles attached to the tall wooden doors. "Chaston's office is right inside. Just take the first—"

"I know how to get there, Alson."

"Your friend doesn't! I was just trying to be nice." He then pulled the door open wide and held it back from closing on itself.

"I get it. And I appreciate it. But I think we can go inside and knock on his door without a full tour of the place."

The guard huffed and crossed his arms before propping his back against the wall of the research building. "Fine. I'll be waiting here. Just... call me if you get in trouble." Alson then placed his hand on his sheathed sword. "I've been trained in the Farrowport military. I know how to use this thing! Don't hesitate to—"

Both Miwah and Tamma giggled. Yalch put one hand in front of his mouth, failing to stop from laughing himself.

"What's so funny?"

"Nothing, Alson." Tamma waved her in Alson's direction. "I appreciate your concern. But I have a feeling that we would be able to handle ourselves in case something went wrong."

"We need to get going, Tamma," Miwah remarked, the smile from her previous giggle still lingering on her face.

"Of course. Don't go anywhere, Alson. We'll come back outside and update you."

"Fine with me."

Tamma pulled on the other handle to the research building's entrance. She kept it ajar, letting Miwah walk through first. "Take the first right and keeping heading straight. His office is at the very end."

Without looking behind her, Miwah adhered to Tamma's directions. She slowly took the right turn as the hunter instructed and began a slow walk towards the end of the hall. Her pace reduced to a crawl as her eyes wandered the narrow cobblestone walls. Tamma caught up, standing behind her.

"Hey Tamma," The ghost called out.

"What is it, Yalch?"

The ghost hovered in front of Tamma's face, travelling backwards at the same rate that she walked so he could maintain both eye contact and a steady distance away from her. He looked at her with his typical smug smile as he placed his arms behind his back. "That fellow has a 'thing' for you."

"Alson?"

"Yep."

"Ah, that's just him being friendly. I doubt he's got a crush on me. He talks that way to everyone he's close with."

"You don't understand, Tamma. I have been around more than long enough to know when someone is infatuated. I guarantee, one hundred percent, that you're on Alson's mind."

"What do you think, Miwah? Are you good with romance?"

"No." The seamstress shot out bluntly.

"Fine then, Yalch. What makes you say that?"

"It's all in the eyes!" Yalch pointed to his pair of big pupils with his fingers. "The way he looks at you when you're not looking at him. And then there's the way he doesn't look at you. It's all very telling."

"So you give Purifier advice as well as tips on dating?" Tamma said, making her sarcasm more than obvious. "Seems like you're the perfect friend to have around."

"Thank you! I find it that when a Purifier's personal life is happier, they tend to be more effective once they transform as well."

"I thought you did not want us to become too acquainted with others," Miwah said dryly.

"I'm not telling her to get married. I'm just telling her the truth. And this bit of truth just might help her build a bit of confidence."

"Well, even if I wasn't a Purifier, I don't know if I'd be interested to be completely honest. Some people just aren't compatible. They make great friends and that's about it."

Yalch sighed. "Poor Alson. From what I could tell, he wants to be more than just friends."


Art Spotlight: Alson Brundst

2