Snake’s Requiem: Chapter 5 – The Shack in the Marsh
22 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"What are you doing over here in the middle of our marsh?" the small girl asked, still holding the decaying rabbit between arms. 

"Your marsh?" a startled Narrita said. "You telling me there's more than just you around here?"

The girl nodded her head. She then stroked the bit of healthy fur on the top of Mister Cuddles' head. 

"And besides your rabbit."

"I live with Mother as well."

"Inside a ratty old shack in the middle of those trees?" Narrita pointed in the direction from where the girl came. 

She nodded. "Yes." 

"Well what do ya know? Looks like you were right," Horace said. 

"Tell me kid. What's your name?" Narrita asked the child. 

"Edith."

"All right. Edith. Can you take us to where you and your mother live?"

The child shook her head. "I'm not supposed to be talking to you. Mother says it's dangerous to talk to people that I don't know."

Narrita eye's narrowed, doing little to prevent her frustration from being shown off. "But... you're talking to us right now."

"Only 'cause you asked me questions. And Mister Cuddles scared you."

"That rabbit thing? He didn't scare me," Narrita replied, still annoyed. "You've got it all wrong kid. I probably scared him."

"Mister Cuddles isn't scared of anything." Edith stoked the rabbit's nape, making him relax. "Not even willow lions!"

"Yeah. Sure. Hey kid. Can you tell me what happened to Mister Cuddles there?" Narrita pointed towards what little remained of the rabbit's left ear. Looks like he's... seen better days."

"Mister Cuddles has always looked like this." Editha pulled her pet to the side, still hugging him tight as she turned her head away from the Cutthroat leader. "For as long as I can 'member. Mother said she found him like this." 

Narrita and Horace looked at each other. The woman raised an eyebrow while giving a sideways glance to the child. She then put one finger over her lips and let out a hush. "It is very important that we meet your mother, Edith."

"Why?" 

"Why? Because... it has to do with Mister Cuddles. He's... in danger."

The little girl trembled, wobbling backwards but making sure that her grip wasn't too tight on her pet. "What? What's wrong with Mister Cuddles?"

"He might be very sick. I can tell just by looking at him." Narrita pointed at the exposed eye socket of the creature. "Look. That part shouldn't be that red. And just look at how his ears move. Err... rather how they don't. That means he's sick." 

"Oh no!" Edith bore a look a pure worry as she lifted the rabbit by his underside. With both hands, she lifted him above her head and began her own examination. "Mother said he was fine earlier today!"

"Maybe he got sick after running through the swamp. You know how many diseases and illnesses there are out here? He could have gotten anyone of them." Narrita walked over to Horace and placed one hand on the heft bag that he had slung over his shoulders. "Good thing we're a group of traveling animal doctors. We have all kinds of medicine in here that can make him better. We just a place to rest for a bit. Then we can help Mister Cuddles out with whatever problem he has."

“Really?” Edith snuggled her rabbit against her cheek. "I can take you to where me, Mother and Mister Cuddles live." 

Narrita smiled and nodded her head. "That sounds like a good idea. And we'll make sure your little friend there gets all the help he needs!" She leaned in closer, hesitantly putting one finger on the limited area of healthy flesh on the animal's head. "Wouldn't want something bad to happen to... such a lovely... creature."

"You promise?" Edith asked, her eyes brimming with tears. 

The lips of the Cutthroat leader trembled. She opened her mouth but paused on what she was going to say next. "Of course, kid," she said with little conviction. "You can trust us. We know all about animals."

"All right. I can you to our home." Edith turned around and began walking towards the dense trees. Narrita trailed behind her while the other two stayed in a single file formation. The child's movement was brisk, navigating the myriad of trees with certainty and ease. Narrita kept up with the spry girl while the Horace and the Cutthroat limped along with the luggage that they brought along. 

"Hey kid!" Horace called out. He stopped next to a tree, hunched over and panting to catch his breath. Both Edith and Narrita turned around to face him. "How much longer until we're at your place?"

"Not much longer. It's a short walk." 

"Come on Horace," Narrita chided. "Are you going to let a little kid show you up?"

"She hasn't been lugging around all this stuff like I have! Let alone been walking for hours already." 

"Don't listen to him, kid. There's a reason he's not the leader. Can't even be bothered to walk a few more feet without complaining." 

"Our house is just beyond those trees." Edith pointed one hand towards the clump of curved trees in the distance. They matched the description that Narrita elaborated on earlier; the size and colors of the wood was inconsistent all through the trunks and branches. Branches that looked withered carried healthy and vibrant leaves. Among the branches, a small window reflected a small bit of sunlight. 

"I think I see it, kid. It's hidden pretty well. Would have missed it you didn't come along to help us out."

"Mother grew more trees. We were robbed a long time ago. She said it has to stay secret."

Narrita paused, masking her nervousness as she eyed the child from the corner of her eye. "What a shame," she said. "Maybe we could help your family get back whatever was stolen."

"Really?" Edith turned around, giving the woman a look of awe. "Mother has been upset ever since the thieves stole from us. They took something very important and she has been really sad."

Narrita's muscles twitched. Her heart raced. A small bit of sweat formed over her skin, not from the sun's rays but from her nerves getting to her. "Oh yeah? Has she said anything else about the thieves? Maybe she’s got an idea of who was responsible."

Edith shook her head. “No. All she said was that if she ever sees the thieves again, they'll be in big trouble." 

"Right. Makes sense. It's only fair." 

"Hey boss," Horace said as he placed his bag on the firm ground of the marsh.

"What is it, Horace?"

"I wanna call an emergency meeting."

Narrita looked at the little girl. "Could you stay here for me? We need to discuss some adult things for a moment. Taxes. Responsibilities. Stuff like that."

"But what about Mister Cuddles?"

"We'll get right to helping him out once we finish our little chat. Now don't go anywhere. Understand?" Narrita nodded. Edith responded by doing the same. "Good. Now, we won't be long. Once we we're done, we'll make sure to make your little friend nice and healthy!" She patted the child on the head before convening with the rest of her gang in a small huddle. 

"Looks like we got ourselves into a bind here," Horace said with a whisper. 

"What do you mean?" Narrita asked.

"What do I mean? You've been lying to the kid nonstop as soon as you met her!"

"I know what I'm doing."

"That weird kid and her mother can... change the dead! You saw that rabbit of hers!"

"Exactly! That's why we need to meet this girl's mom! She most definitely has a way to bring back Pierce! It's a no-brainer! Or maybe that's the wrong term to use, seeing as how even you are having a hard comprehending what this all means!" Narrita shot back, as loud as a whisper could possibly be. 

"You really want to go meet up with a witch that can control the dead? After we lied to her kid and stole from her? And without our weapons?"

"Just let me handle everything, all right? I know what I'm doing." She tapped her forehead. "I've got everything planned out. Managed to get us here safe and sound, didn't I?"

"Debatable," the Cutthroat still holding onto Pierce's body remarked. 

"Whatever. Just let me handle this. All of us will be back in no time. Pierce included." 

"But Narrita. You saw Mister Cuddles. Even if all the stars align and this witch for some reason decides to help us out... there's no guarantee he'll even be the same," Horace said.

The leader cut her eyes towards Horace. "You sure like to be a downer, don't you?"

"Guess there's no changing your mind."

"Should've done a better job of convincing me before we crossed the marsh! Now that we're here, we might as well go all out!"

In the midst of their conversation, Edith made her way next to Narrita and tugged on the bottom of her blouse. She cut the talk with her gang short to make eye contact with the child. "Are you three almost done? I'm not supposed to be outside."

"Oh. We were just ending our conversation. Go ahead and lead us to your place." Narrita gave the child a big smile. "We'd love to meet your mother!" 

Edith skipped the rest of the way to the thicket that hid her house. She pushed away branches and leaves that blocked the small dirt trail that led to the shack. "There it is!" the girl exclaimed, her finger pointing to a crooked wooden shack in middle of a lush garden. Along with the ominous trees, large vines and flowers covered up the sides of the home, making it look like a natural part of the environment. Only a small section of the tiles on the roof and the lone window on the front wall of the small structure were free from being obscured by foliage. 

"Quaint," Narrita commented. Horace and the other Cutthroat caught up and stared at the home with confusion. 

"I'm gonna double down on this being a bad idea," Horace said. 

"Oh hush," Narrita whispered back. Edith took hold of her hand and tugged her along the winding trail to the shack. 

"Hurry up! I want Mister Cuddles to get better soon!"

1