Snake’s Requiem: Chapter 8 – Once a Purifier
27 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"So, what do you need to know?" Narrita asked. She sat opposite of the witch, leaning forward on the table with one elbow. Gertrude placed the necklace in the middle of the table, equidistant from both of them. "I remember everything like it was yesterday."

"Wasn't it the day before, Narrita?" Horace said. The Cutthroat leader shot him a mean look before returning to look at the witch. 

"First and foremost, tell me how your friend was killed."

With a bit of trembling, Narrita took in a deep breath and closed her eyes as her mind went back to the very moment that was requested. "Someone slashed him. Cut his head clean off with a single slice."

"I see." Gertrude rested her chin on her hands as looked Narrita in the eye. "Now. I don't want you to skip out on any details, nor do I want you to alter any facts. At my age and raising a daughter, it becomes very easy to tell when someone is lying to me. If you try to mislead me..." Gertrude trailed off as she looked towards a long snouted skull that dangled from a hook on the wall to her right. The Cutthroats all shuddered at once.

"Fine. I'll be honest with you. Didn't even plan on lying in the first place."

Narrita's response was met with a condescending glare. "Now, go on," Gertrude said with a wave of her hand.

"What happened was that we got into a fight in a tavern. These two girls... they used necklaces just like those to transform. They disappeared in a flash of light and once that was gone they were in completely different outfits. One had a bow with some kind of magic string that could make arrows out of nothing but light!"

"I see."

"And the other girl. She looked a bit like a dancer to me. Had some kind of long bladed... baton... thing..." Narrita raised her right arm, mimicking Miwah's grip of Liberator. “Along with a mask.”

"Anyone else of note there?"

The Cutthroat leader bobbed her head. "Yeah. There was one more there. But it wasn't a person."

"A ghost?" Gertrude replied while raising an eyebrow. 

"So you know exactly what I'm talking about!" Narrita's eyes lit up. She leaned back in her chair and pointed at the two men that accompanied her with her thumb. "And these two thought I was crazy. I saw that little ghost man. And Pierce saw him too!"

Gertrude froze. "You said your snake saw the ghost?"

"Yep. He said something and we both turned around to see who had said it. We were both looking at him."

"That's… almost unheard of. An animal with... Potential?" The witch cocked her head back and looked towards the ceiling while tapping her chin. "I have an idea of what that could mean.”

"You have got to tell me! Are you implying that has something to do with getting Pierce back? Do I need to go and find that ghost person again?"

"Ah. I see. So the ghost didn't stay with you. He must be assigned to the other two as their Mentor. That must mean you have no idea of what being a Purifier entails despite being capable of becoming one."

"Purifier?"

Gertrude groaned. "I suppose it is up to me to give you all the details now. I'll make it short seeing as how it is a rather complicated affair." She reached over the table and picked up the necklace, letting the amethyst stone dangle. Narrita watched it slowly twirl with big eyes, as if she were mesmerized by it. "This here is a Beacon. They contain a powerful magic that can transform its user into a capable warrior."

"That explains what happened with those other two girls at the tavern! The one that killed Pierce was kinda scrawny but still managed to hold her own against Horace!"

"Yes, that sounds about right. A Purifier’s strength at even a low level could match that of a seasoned soldier. However, the power doesn't work with anybody." Gertrude pointed towards Horace. "You come here. Put this necklace on press the stone against your heart."

Horace obeyed, carefully threading his bulky neck through the relatively tiny chain. Once on his body, he pressed the stone against the left section of his chest. He held it there for a few moments as everyone else watched in silence.

"See? No effect whatsoever. Your friend here does not have Potential which is required to become a Purifier."

"Drat!" Horace snapped a finger and promptly handed the jewelry back to the witch. 

"Don't feel too bad. A male with Potential is exceptionally rare. I personally have never come across one." Gertrude turned her head to the side and looked Pierce's body bag. "At least... one that was a human... as well as in one piece."

"So that's all I gotta do if I wanna do what those two did?" Narrita reached towards the necklace with a greedy smile. Gertrude pulled her hand back, keeping the Beacon out of Narrita's reach.

"Yes, I suppose that's true. But it's not something that you can just... turn on and off at a will. There are many limitations, especially at a low rank such as yourself. I wouldn’t recommend you transforming just yet. Once you place it on you, there’s no changing your abilities. However, I do know a bit of magic that can alter its properties."

"Ah, I get it." Narrita slunk back into her chair, propped against the tall and ornate back of the seat. She crossed her arms and her legs and maintained almost rivalrous eye contact with the witch. "I'm all ears."

"Now. Purifiers are meant to be defenders of the innocent. Punishers of the wicked. It is their goal to rid the world of evil threats. Hence the title."

"Sounds like a lot of responsibility," Narrita said. 

"That's because it is. But just because someone is a Purifier, that doesn't mean that they have to follow the duty they were born for. I've seen more than my fair share of Purifiers use their abilities for their own personal gain." She then smiled but lowered her head while letting her eyes close. "I myself am even guilty of it."

"You were a Purifier? Is that why the necklace is glowing for you too?"

"Yes, that is correct. But the light is nowhere near as bright for me as it is you. As I have gotten older, my Potential has faded. But I still have a bit left in me."

"This all sounds like interesting stuff, lady. I appreciate you telling it to me but will this lead to us getting Pierce back. For good? I’m not looking to be a hero or anything. I just want you to work your necromancy."

"So impatient," Gertrude replied with an expression of annoyance. "I was going to get to that."

"Sorry," Narrita said timidly before breaking eye contact. 

"Back to what I was saying." Gertrude moved her angered eyes back to the necklace. "I was once a Purifier. Probably around your age. I used to have a team of friends with similar powers as I and a ghost companion as well. We all worked together to fight dangerous forces all across the world."

"I think you could still do that now," Narrita said. "The way you summoned that wolf corpse? No one in their right mind would want to try and mess with you."

"Yes, but my bones are still frail. I can bring back the dead... to a certain extent. But I can't restore the function within my own body. Somewhat ironic, isn't it? I can bring back what is lost but I am unable to restore what is ailing."

"So you can't heal at all, huh?"

Gertrude shook her head. "No. At least not beyond what a standard potion can handle. But that's neither here nor there. I chose to surrender my Beacon long ago, and along with it much of my power."

"Why would you do something like that?" Narrita watched her reflection in the purple jewel as it spun on its chain. "If I can turn into a Purifier, I'm never letting go of that necklace!"

"Because being a Purifier isn't just about power, woman! It's a job. A duty. And that is why I gave mine up. I no longer wanted to be a Purifier, so I gave it up for someone who would be willing to take up the responsibility."

Narrita lazily leaned her head on the palm of her hand. "Sounds like a big mistake if you ask me."

"Good thing I didn't ask you. I had my reasons. For one, I found someone." Gertrude lowered the Beacon back onto the table and then pulled out the medallion that had been returned to her. "His name was Linwood. A wonderful man. Former member of the Farrowport Guard. Travelled across the sea to fight the Xiwaoans. Returned home missing an arm but a hero. This medallion was given to him to commemorate his services."

"Gertrude," Narrita said quietly. "If we had known the importance of that medallion..." Her lips trembled as the witch's icy stare went straight through her. Despite the foul look, she maintained steady contact with Gertrude's dark red eyes. "We wouldn't have taken it."

There was silence as the pair continued to stare at one another. Gertrude eased back in her seat first, placing the medallion on the shelf behind her. "Interesting. You seem to be telling the truth."

"I know I am."

"Didn't think the leader of a band of thieves would have any bit of honor whatsoever."

"Us Cutthroats have some moral standards."

"Some," Gertrude chortled. "Seems like you have the foundation for being a decent person. But you're still a long way off. Perhaps if you didn't rob for a living, you might make for a somewhat-competent Purifier. What you do now is not compatible with the power that this Beacon will bestow upon you!"

"If I never become a Purifier, I'm more than fine with that. I just want my buddy Pierce back!"

"And that is why I mentioned the necklace in the first place! During my times as a Purifier, I had a familiar that I worked with. Whenever I transformed, he would fight alongside me." Gertrude's focus shifted from Narrita towards the sky, looking longingly upwards. "Much like you, I had lost a close companion prior to finding a Beacon of my own. A wolf that I had known for almost my entire life. But once I joined my team, the companion that travelled along with us told me that I could use the necklace's power to channel him."

Narrita squinted, perplexed by the witch's words. "Sorry. I still don't think I fully follow."

"It is a bit complicated. I think the best thing to do would be to just show you what I'm talking about."

2