Chapter 65: In the Inn
24 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Is this where we'll be starting our search, Tamma?' Miwah asked as they stood on the gravel trail that led to a large and dilapidated building. It had multiple stories and cast a shadow that shaded them from the afternoon sun. Miwah squinted her eyes and pressed her hand to her forehead as she looked up towards the top of the structure. "Looks tall."

Tamma put her hands on her hips as she sighed. "It's the first place we've come across that gets a lot of traffic. If we're going to start some place, might as well be here." 

As all three continued to stare at the big wooden building, people passed in and out through the entrance at a steady rate. The individuals contrasted with those from the Governor's sector. Their clothes were tattered and covered in stains. Bulky men kept their beards long and unkempt while the women that passed through clearly exhausted and just as grimy. 

"We are not classy enough to fit in with the upper part of town. And now we are so tidy, we are guaranteed to stand out among the people in this area," Miwah whispered. 

"I know this place well, lass. Just stick with me. I know how to talk with the folk of this part of Farrowport."

"You always say that. And it rarely turns out well."

Tamma put on a smile and nudged Miwah in the side with her elbow. "We're still alive, aren't we?"

"Yes, but for how much longer?"

"Listen. You worry too much. We've got Yalch with us. Our Beacons are ready to go in case things get out of hand. But it's not like we're getting into something that we can't handle. Hundreds of people make it through just fine in his part of town every day!"

"But how many people also get hurt?" Miwah asked coyly, her head tilted to the side. "I am sure the amount of crime down here is far greater than anywhere else on the island."

"Come on, lass. Don't tell me that you want to back out now. There are plenty of good people down here too. They're just stuck living in these parts because of factors beyond their control." Tamma crossed her arms in front of her chest and tapped her foot. "You want to hear another saying that we have back in Bahnwa?"

"I have a feeling that you will tell me regardless of my answer."

"Tough times make even tougher people!" Tamma said with a smile. "I think that's something everyone can agree with. And getting by in this part of Farrowport is no simple task."

"She's right, Tamma!" Yalch said with a big grin. "That's why I like to say that Purifiers are forged." The ghost took his hand and lifted up an imaginary hammer and thing swung it an equally imaginary anvil. "Out of the hottest of fires come the strongest of Purifiers!"

"You always take Tamma's side," Miwah said with her arms still crossed in front of her chest. 

"That's because I'm wise for my age, lass. Now, do you want to keep discussing sayings or do you want to start looking for a teammate? The sooner we find someone, the sooner we get to leave."

"Now that is one way to get me motivated." Miwah stepped towards the inn first while Tamma followed behind with a confident grin on her face. 

"See, Yalch?" the hunter whispered to the ghost. "Don't I have a way with words?"

Yalch bobbed up and down. "Yeah, I'd say so. Maybe you can use your charm to see if you can convince the next person with Potential to join us!"

"We will not need Tamma," Miwah interjected. "I am sure that your cuteness will be more than enough to persuade whatever ruffian is blessed enough to have been born with Potential."

"I'd say that you were trying to be sarcastic, but there's plenty in that statement, lass. I'm positive a smile from Yalch could melt the coldest of hearts."

The ghost chuckled, placing one hand over his mouth in a futile attempt to stop any sound from escaping. "If only everyone could see me. Then maybe I could convince those Ghenkans to just head back home."

"Wishful thinking, Yalch," Tamma replied with a sigh. "Wishful thinking."

****

Tamma opened the door to the inn with a soft push. The planks that formed it were split and warped, making the bottom scrape against the floor with a grating sound. The hunter took a long step inside, her facing curling once the scent of alcohol and sweat flooded her nostrils. Miwah entered right behind her, blinking a few times as she processed the thick aroma. 

"This place smells exactly like the tavern!" Miwah said to Tamma as she looked into the center of the inn's floor level with the corner of her view. "It is not even afternoon yet!"

"Farrowporters love their liquor, Miwah. It's the best way to forget about your troubles."

"But they could not wait for evening to drown out their sorrows with alcohol?" Miwah asked with a whisper. Tamma's only response was shrugging her shoulders. Both women looked around the inn in silence. Wooden tables were scattered about the main area, most of which were occupied by disheveled men and women in tattered attire standard of the population in the lower section of Farrowport. 

Those who were inside were too busy focused on their own affairs to pay any mind to the two women that entered. Yalch floated a few feet above them, frantically moving his eyes in all manner of directions. Miwah angled her gaze upwards to look at the agitated ghost. "Is everything all right, Yalch?" she asked quietly. He placed his hands over his shaky antennas, only for them to pass right through his transparent fingers. 

"There's definitely someone in here with Potential! I know it!"

A hefty slap smacked across Miwah’s back, making her stagger forward. The seamstress turned around and saw Tamma grinning from ear to ear. "What did I tell ya, lass? Hasn't even been a few minutes and we're about to stumble across a candidate the other Beacon!"

"Sounds more like dumb luck than an educated calculation."

"Call it what you want, but it looks like our task might end earlier than expected."

"I would not get so excited." Miwah looked away from Tamma and towards a man slumped forward on the table in front of him; a glass of alcohol tipped over and dripped onto the floor. His eyes were closed shut and his mouth open as spittle dripped onto the table with each breath he took. "This place looks more like it is meant to house the dregs of society. And that is saying a lot considering where we are."

"Lass. We haven't even been here for five minutes and already you're complaining. I know you're still not used to life in Farrowport. Just let me and Yalch handle things. We'll find that person with Potential in no time.

Miwah tossed her hands up in exasperation. "Seems as though I have yet learned my lesson. Please, Tamma," the seamstress said as she bowed and extended one hand towards the center of the inn. "Show me the way."

"We've got to fit in first and foremost." Tamma lifted her eyes off Miwah and looked at the long counter at the opposite end of the building. A tired and weary older woman hoisted a bottle into the air with hand, letting the brown liquid crash into a dingy glass mug. 

"And that's all yer getting!" she barked bluntly. A shove sent the drink sliding a foot to the right, only to be stopped by a burly man hunched forward over the smooth countertop.

Miwah looked in the same direction as Tamma, widening her eyes in exasperation as she scanned the length of occupied seats. "There?" she whispered while pointing straight ahead.

Tamma winked and nodded. "Yeah, lass. You feel like drinking today?"

"Not at this hour! And especially not when we have such an important mission to complete."

"Xiwaoans aren't about having fun, eh?"

Miwah crossed her arms. "You said you will lead. But perhaps this was all just a ruse for you to get a bit of drinking done."

"We're not going to get drunk." Despite her eyes rolling, Tamma still smiled. "Just enough to become more... sociable."

Miwah opened her mouth, eager to speak only to freeze as she Tamma staring at her with her usual calm smile. "What?" Miwah asked, perplexed. "Do you know what I planned on saying?" It was clear by the way her lips formed a frown and her hand pressed against her chest that she was offended.

The hunter lifted her right hand at shoulder height, pressing her four fingers against her thumb to mimic a moving mouth. "Back in Xiwao," Tamma began, imitating Miwah's accent. "Alcohol is forbidden! We only drink tea and go to bed six hours before sunset every night!"

"You act like you never bring up Bahnwa!" 

"In Xiwao we would never charge someone to sleep in our home! Tamma continued. "All visitors are welcome in—"

"I get it, Tamma. We shall go ahead with your plan." Miwah crossed her arms in front of her body and gave Tamma an irked stare.

"She warned you that Bahnwans have sharp tongues, Miwah," Yalch said after he finished his chuckling.

"Let's leave poor Miwah alone. Before she regrets letting me have this Beacon." The hunter walked in the direction of the counter. Yalch trailed behind her while Miwah was last in line, still annoyed by Tamma's joking.

"Just you wait, Tamma," she whispered after catching up. "Xiwaoans are not ones to take acts of war lightly."

Tamma giggled in silence. "I'll be waiting, lass."

2