Chapter 74: Part of the Plan
23 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Maybe you could distract 'em," Aurrie said. Daego broke free from his pensive state to look at the housekeeper.

"What?"

"Ya heard me."

His eyes widened. "You're saying that I should go down there and be the one to get the the Cutthroats' attention?”

Aurrie nodded. "You're the one that got 'em into this mess. Seems only fair that you're the one that's going to do the most to get 'em out."

The swindler groaned as he brushed back the stray strands of black hair resting on the front of his face. "Yeah. You're right about that part. But if I distract them, then what are you going to do?"

"I'll be the one actually doin' the rescuin'." Aurrie pointed towards herself. "Everyone knows I'm the one tasked with keeping this place in order. I go in an' out of that closet all day." Her eyes darted around the room before stopping at a broom resting in the corner. She walked over and picked it up. "If anyone asks, I'll just tell 'em that I gotta trade this out for a mop."

"Oh yeah?" Daego replied. "And what are you going to do if they stop you, huh? What if I can't draw all their attention at the same time and one of them sees you going through the closet?"

Aurrie held the broom in both hands and pointed the bristles at Daego. She made a few quick stabs in his direction. "Then I'll show 'em what's what! That's what I’ll do!"

"All you need to do is get inside," Yalch said. "You won't need that broom if you're able to get your Beacon!"

"Oy! That's right!" The housekeeper smiled and nodded her head. "That way I'll get those new-fangled powers you were talkin’ about!"

"I'll go down there and give Miwah and Tamma a heads up about your arrival. That way they can have your Beacon ready to go."

Aurrie continued to grin as she tapped her chin. "Right. And you said one of those Cutthroats is holding onto the girls' other Beacons?"

The ghost nodded. 'Yep. The big one. Wystan, I think."

"Ugh. Of course it would be that one," Aurrie groaned. "At least we got the basics down, I suppose. Yalch is gonna give the two captives a heads up. Daego does whatever Daego is good at. Distractin' people. Gettin' their attention. Then I go in and actually do the rescuin'." Her eyes panned between Daego and Yalch. "How does that sound to ya?"

The swindler shrugged his shoulders. "I guess that works. At least as an outline. Maybe we should come up with some kind of back-up plan in case all of this doesn't pan out? Or maybe I could at least get a moment to figure out how I'm going to distract an entire gang of bloodthirsty criminals?"

"You know how much they love money. Not to mention that they're probably a bit drunk right now with all the celebrating they've been doing." Aurrie paused her sentence and angled her ears towards the doorway. The rumbling and ruckus travelled up the stairs and into the room. "You can still hear 'em even all the way up here."

"That does sound like a drunken party," Daego added. "I think I can work with that." He nodded and scratched the back of his neck. "Maybe a contest?"

"A drinkin' one?"

"Yeah!" Daego's face lit up. "Get 'em even drunker! Then promise a reward for the last Cutthroat still standing!"

"That's perfect!" Aurrie said. "Those Cutthroats will be too busy trying to outdo one another to notice me sneaking into the closet!"

"I've seen the Cutthroats' drinking competition now that I think about it. Nothing more they love more than drinking the night away. Except maybe a bit of looting."

"That's great!" The ghost added, moving himself between the two Farrowporters. "Looks like we have the foundation of a solid plan now!"

"Right," Aurrie said. "You gonna tell those other two about the plan we got goin’?" 

"Yep. I'll be right back. While I'm gone, you two can keep working on the finer details of what you're going to do." With that, Yalch sank beneath the floor and disappeared from Aurrie's view. Both her and Daego stared at the same spot in the ground where Yalch vanished.

"Is... uh... that new friend of yours gone now?" Daego asked.

"Yeah. Said he's gonna tell 'em what our plan is."

Daego bobbed his head. "I see. He... is real right?" he asked nervously. Aurrie lifted her eyes off the floor and squinted at the swindler with annoyance. "I mean... if this crazy idea of ours does actually somehow come together, those two girls will back up what you're saying about a talking ghost I assume?"

The housekeeper placed a hand on Daego's shoulder. "Just focus on what you're gonna say to grab the Cutthroats' attention, all right? We'll worry about my state o' mind later." Aurrie let go of Daego and placed the broom under her arm and grabbed a bucket from the corner of the room. "Come to think of it, maybe I am just seeing things after all. That's the only way to explain me agreein' to this crazy scheme in the first place!"

****

"Miwah! Tamma!" Yalch's voice came from the top of the room. Both women turned their heads towards the sound of the ghost. Miwah remained low, resting on the heels of her feet while Tamma kept a hand on her back. 

"Everything all right?" the hunter inquired.

"I found the girl we were looking for!" Yalch exclaimed giddily. "She's going to help rescue you two!"

"That's great news!" Tamma said.

"I saw you two only hand over your Beacons. Miwah, do you still have the other necklace on you?"

Miwah reached into robe and pulled out the Beacon in question. "Yes. It is right here."

"Perfect! She's going to come down here any second. Make sure to give it to her."

"You didn't find another Narrita, did you?" Tamma asked. "You sure she isn't working for the Cutthroats either?"

"Nope. I can tell that she's genuine. Although I will say her personality is a bit... coarse... but she's got a good heart."

"That is more than enough for me." Miwah stood upright and took a deep breath in silence. "Perhaps we can give her a brief explanation on how to use her Purifier powers."

"But can she take on all those Cutthroats alone? I know Miwah and I might be able to. If we had our Beacons. But this'll be her first time being a Purifier."

"I told her to focus on Wystan since he still has your necklaces," Yalch explained. "If you can manage to take them back, getting out of here shouldn't be a problem. Not to mention that Daego is going to get them drinking more. Taking down a regular Cutthroat is already an easy task for even an entry-level Purifier. If they’re even drunker, dealing with Wystan's crew shouldn't be a problem!"

"Daego?" both women exclaimed simultaneously.

"Oh, right," Yalch said with a nervous chuckle. "I forgot that he was the one that got you two in this situation in the first place."

"Why is he helping us?" Tamma said. 

"Seems like him and this other girl with Potential know each other. But believe me when I say that he was wracked with guilt over what happened. Besides, the only way for the plan to work is if he lends a helping a hand."

"And how exactly is he going to help?" Miwah asked.

"Since the Cutthroats 'trust' him," Yalch explained, making a pair of imaginary quotation marks in the air with his hands despite it almost pitch black, "he is going to get them drinking even more."

All three remained quiet. The Cutthroats continued to make a commotion just beyond the closet. There was screaming and belching, followed by the sound of stomping. The men joined together in singing a shanty. Despite their voices being out of key, they managed to sing the lyrics in unison. 

"Sounds to me that they don't need Daego's help in getting drunk," Tamma noted.

"Couldn't hurt to put more alcohol in their system," Yalch replied. "Now that you know the plan, I'm going to return to Aurrie and Daego to let them know that I've told you what to expect."

"That's the name of the other lass? Aurrie?"

"Yep."

"We will wait here." Miwah clutched the remaining Beacon tight in her hands.

"She'll be down as soon as possible. I promise." Yalch flew up to the floor above, leaving Miwah and Tamma alone to listen to the synchronized shouting of the Cutthroats outside.

Tamma put her hands over her ears and winced once the men began to hum. "I'm hoping they'll come sooner rather than later."

1