Chapter 77: Drink Deep
19 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Someone order the Rhoda Rum?" Aurrie shouted. She kicked the stairwell's door wide open and came barging through with two barrels, one wedged beneath her arms. She slammed the containers onto the bar next to the Cutthroats. Daego and Wystan ended their handshake and watched the housekeeper as she fixed a spout onto the top of the keg. 

"Finally! Took you long enough!" Wystan said. He got up from his seat and made his way to the drinks, pushing past his small sea of underlings. Once in front of Aurrie, he extended his mug underneath the spout. 

"You're goin' first?" Aurrie asked. 

"Yes ma'am."

"And... uh... you paid for this already, right?" she asked, raising one eyebrow.

Wystan gestured over his shoulder towards Daego with his thumb. "That nice fella over there agreed to pay for it all. Now go ahead and fill it up."

Aurrie shrugged her shoulders before pressing down on the handle. "Just tell me when to stop." Wystan kept his glass underneath the spout as steadily as his shaking hands would allow. The rum flowed like a waterfall, filling the glass in seconds. 

"Keep going!" the Cutthroat demanded despite the dark brown liquid reaching the rim. The beverage overflowed, making Donna wince as she watched the rum drip on the floor. "There we go. That should be enough." He lifted his mug inches away from his lips. "For now, that is." 

"Wait, Wystan!" one of the Cutthroats exclaimed as he placed a hand on his shoulder. 

"What? What is it?" he responded with anger.

The underling turned around and pointed at Daego who remained seated towards of the middle bar and hunched over the counter. Wystan put the mug on the countertop and slid it across the surface. The swindler extended his hand and grabbed the speeding drink. 

"You better start drinking now," Wystan grumbled as he reached behind the bar and plucked another mug off the shelf. "Because I'm dying to get a taste of this rum." Aurrie filled up the second glass. With alcohol in hand, Wystan waddled to the seat next to Daego and sat down. "Hey, lady!" Wystan shouted across the room. Aurrie stopped filling the glass to address the Cutthroat. "Keep those glasses coming! This is just the start for me." 

Wystan sniffed his glass. He turned his face to the side while his nose scrunched. "This is some heavy stuff," he said after waving away the heavy aroma. 

"Regretting your decision already?" Wystan said smugly. 

"No." Deago shook his head. "I've had worse. I got an empty stomach. Still think I've got a good shot."

"Yeah. Keep dreaming." 

"How are we doing this?" Daego asked.

"Glass for glass." Wystan leaned back in his seat and put his drink to his lips. With a tilt of his head, the Rhoda Rum vanished from the mug, going down Wystan's throat like a funnel. Within seconds the glass was empty again. The Cutthroat slammed it on the counter with enough force to make Daego jump in his seat. "That's one down. Now you got to finish yours."

Daego held his mug and angled it in his hand. He shrugged his shoulders, closed his eyes and put drink to lips. He started with a small sip, making a loud gulp at first. With his free hand, he plugged his nose and tilted his glass back further. It took longer, but Wystan finished his drink in half a minute. He put the glass back on the bar and let out a small burp. The swindler shrugged and smiled. "I can see why this warrants such a hefty price."

Wystan grimaced. He looked back at Aurrie and gestured with his hand for another drink. The housekeeper topped off another mug and slid it across table. "Get another one ready for this guy. I want to end this as soon as possible." Like the first glass, Wystan downed the beverage in seconds. 

Daego and Aurrie made eye contact. The swindler swayed slightly from side to side, unable to keep a steady gaze on Aurrie. The housekeeper became concerned as she got the next glass. "Here ya go," Aurrie said as she pushed Daego’s second glass toward him. 

"Thanks, Aurrie." Daego reached over with both hands shaking and intercepted the drink before it spilled over. "No point in taking my time." He shut his eyes again. One hand held the handle while the other balanced the drink by its base. The swindler downed the drink again, this time spilling rum out of his mouth and down his cheeks. He paused in between gulps to breathe through his nose. After roughly a minute, the rum was gone from the glass. 

"You feeling all right there?" Wystan asked with smug confidence. 

"Never..." Daego hiccupped. He put the glass on the top of the bar sideways. "Never... felt better!"

The Cutthroats all laughed. Daego continued to smile as his body swayed like a blade of grass in a strong wind. "I think he's done, boys!"

"No he ain't!" Aurrie called out. She placed both of her hands over the counter and looked down at Daego. "I know this fella. It's all part of the game he plays!"

Wystan gave Aurrie a side-eyed glare. "Huh? What are you talking about, lady?"

"This man knows how to cheat people," she replied, pointing at Daego with her thumb while facing the Cutthroat. The swindler put his arms on the bar and buried his face into the palm of his hands. "This is all just part of his plan. Always trickin' people with bets like these."

"You saying this is just for show?"

The housekeeper nodded. "Oh yeah. I've seen him down way more than that. He's tryin' to get you keep your guard down."

"Is that the case, Daego?" Wystan reached over and pulled the back of Daego's collar. With little effort, he was pried from his laying position.

"Huh?" Daego asked with eyes half open as his head wobbled. 

"I'm tellin' ya! He's a good actor!" 

Wystan lowered Daego back onto the bar counter, his head coming to a rest on the surface. "He looks done to me. But I don't want to take any risks. What's the biggest glass you got?" 

"You looking for something more than your standard mug, huh?" Aurrie vanished into the back of the bar and returned with two pitcher-sized containers. She plopped them between a still-slumped Daego and Wystan. "How are these for ya?"

"Perfect!"

Without another word, Aurrie returned to the keg and filled up one of the pitchers. All the Cutthroats watched with glee as the rum cascaded into the container. After a few seconds, the alcohol filled the pitcher. 

"Here ya go." She placed the drink in front of the large man. He rubbed his hands with glee before picking it up with both hands. With pitcher in hand, he looked back at Daego. He kept one eye open with his head resting on his arm stretched out across the counter.

"G-go for... it..." the swindler muttered. He gave a sloppy thumbs up.

The Cutthroats started to cheer their leader on, clapping their hands and shouting Wystan's. Without hesitation, he tilted his head back and started to chug the rum. The first few sips were slow. Once enough of the drink vanished into his gullet, he angled the pitcher steeply to let the remainder go down. He leaned back too far and soon lost his balance, falling out of his seat and landing on his back. 

"Gah!" he cried as he tried to get to his feet. His men scrambled to his side, all working together to get him upright and back on his stool. Once seated again, he used his arms as pillows as he lay his head down. 

"I tried to warn you," Aurrie said as she stood over the drunken man. 

"D-Daego," Wystan lifted his eyelids enough to look at Daego. He lay across the table in the same manner except both his eyes were closed. "He... can't even drink..." 

Aurrie walked over to Daego's side and prodded him in the ribs. "Well won't ya look at that." The swindler remained motionless save for the rhythmic movement of his chest as he breathed. "Looks like both of you had a tad too much."

"Still... I won..." Wystan said with what little breath he had.

"I'll be sure to tell him that he's a Cutthroat now once he wakes up." Aurrie patted Wystan on the head. "You just worry about enjoyin' your hard-earned victory." She then whistled, grabbing the attention of the celebrating Cutthroats. "All of y'all a free to pour your own rum." She gave one of the kegs a kick with the side of her heel. "Just try not to break the barrels or the spouts."

The men swarmed the area, clamoring to get a glass and fighting over who would be next to get a taste of Rhoda Rum. With the Cutthroats focused on getting their drink, Aurrie made her way towards the storage closet.

1