Chapter 82: Another One Added to the List
17 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"How's everyone feeling?" Tamma led the group to an empty alley between Lower and Center Farrowport. She stood at the entrance, her body hidden by the brick wall separating the two parts of town. The area outside was sparsely populated, allowing Tamma to meet up with the others.

Miwah rubbed her forehead. "I am a bit sore. But I will recover."

The hunter looked at Daego. He sat on the ground crisscross and propped his back against the wall. "Head's still spinning. I can hear some ringing too, but I think that's a side effect of chugging too much Rhoda Rum too fast and not because of... whatever Aurrie did back there."

"What about you Aurrie?" Tamma carried a look of concern as she placed a hand on the housekeeper's shoulder. "You didn't get too hurt back there, did you lass?"

"Nope. Not at all," she said with confidence.

"What about having to... you know..." Tamma twirled her hand in the air, trying to get Aurrie to understand what she was saying without being specific.

"What? You mean killin' Wystan?"

Tamma shied away and rubbed the back of her neck. "Yeah. That."

"He was gonna strangle Daego to death!" she said with genuine surprise. "It was either Wystan or Daego!"

"Even I have to say that was not a difficult decision," Miwah said.

"I know, I know. Even after what Daego did to us, I would have made the same choice a thousand times over. But that still doesn't mean it must have been easy to just... take someone's life like that."

"Speak for yourself!" Aurrie said with a scoff. "I've been dreamin' about puttin' an end to that buffoon for a while now!"

"I had no problem killing my first enemy, either," Miwah said.

The startled hunter bobbed her head back. "Oh. I guess that makes me the odd one out."

"I know it's one of the harder parts of being a Purifier, Tamma," Yalch said. "But it's something that you'll have to come to terms with on your journey. Not everyone can be spared in battle."

The hunter lowered her head. "I understand. If it ever came down to a choice between one you or a Cutthroat or a Ghenkan... I'd do what I'd need to."

"I can take a bit of comfort in that," Aurrie said. "I saw how you handled yourself with a throwin' knife and some glass mugs. You must be really deadly with an actual weapon in your hands!"

"She is," Miwah said, smiling and nodding.

"And don't let Miwah's petite frame fool you." Tamma lifted one of Miwah's hands above her head and pointed to the seamstress' arm. "She's a lot more lethal than she looks."

"After what we've been through, I believe it." Aurrie crossed her arms before looking at Yalch. "You said I can't use my... Purifier form again? For a while at least?"

Yalch bobbed up and down. "Yep. I'd say about half a day. Give or take."

"Good thing you two girls got your Beacons back. Looks like we're all the Cutthroats' hitlist. Together. I don't know if I'd be able to take on the rest of the gang without bein' able to transform again."

Tamma patted the housekeeper on the shoulder. "We'll keep you protected, lass. We're not going to let you or Daego get hurt after what you've done for us. That's what a team does."

Aurrie couldn't suppress her grin. "Wow. Never would have considered myself a team player."

"Neither would I!" Daego called out.

"You handled yourself exceptionally well back there," Miwah said. "Yalch. You did a good job in finding a candidate for the last Beacon."

"Much better than Narrita, that's for sure," Tamma said.

"Three out of four isn't too bad!" Yalch replied with a wide smile.

"That's just the news I needed to hear," Aurrie said, her smile quickly inverting. "Narrita's got one of these necklaces for herself. And I just killed one of her strongest men."

"Don't worry. Miwah here killed that pet snake of hers. Narrita's probably used to her gang shrinking in size by now." Tamma gave Miwah a blunt pat on her back, sending her staggering forward.

Aurrie groaned and rubbed her forehead. "Great. I'm one of the Cutthroats' most hated enemies. I'm outta job, too. Now I'm really startin' to think that takin' Yalch's offer wasn't the best idea."

"But Aurrie! It's not just by chance that you have Potential. There's a reason so few are given such a precious gift." Yalch floated in front of the housekeeper's face and stared at her with big round eyes. "You really think it was just by coincidence that you were able to do what you did back at the inn? You've got a Purifier's instinct! You even managed to use your spell without anyone telling you how!"

"You talkin' about that loud ring I did with my two weapons?"

"Yep! Not only did you use it, but you also knew when to use it."

"Try not to use that around us if you don't have to," Tamma said. She rubbed the inside of her ear with her finger. "Or at least give us a heads up the next time you decide to."

"Are you talking about that clank Aurrie did back there?" Daego asked.

The three girls nodded.

"That wasn't a pleasant sound. But I'm surprised that it was able to send Wystan to the ground writing in pain but left us tensed up."

"I can find out why," Yalch said. "Just give me a minute to get into your mind?"

Aurrie stared at the ghost with one eyebrow raised. "My... mind?"

"Don't worry it won't hurt. We just need to both close our eyes." Aurrie obeyed. She took in a deep breath and relaxed her body while keeping her eyes sealed tight. "And try to think about your time as a Purifier. I'll do the rest of the work."

A silence followed. Everyone looked at Aurrie as Yalch cast Insight. A full minute passed of the two facing one another with their eyes closed. Yalch opened his first and smiled. "All right. You can open them now."

Aurrie blinked a few times. "Well... that was a bit of an experience."

"I know there's a bit of a tingle if you're not expecting it. But what's important is that I was able to get a glimpse of your stats."

"Oh."

The ghost explained what he saw to the group.

Name:

Aurelia Illipoulos

Class:

Centurion

Rank:

2

Current Weapon(s):

Rhomphaia and Phylax (Defense)

Element:

Metal

Lethality:

7

Proficiency:

11

Vitality:

130

Guard:

13

Agility:

7

Vigor:

10

 

"I don't know what any of that means," Aurrie said.

Yalch rubbed the back of his head as his mouth formed an awkward smile. "Right. I know it's a lot to take in if you're new to this. But Miwah and Tamma came to understand it pretty quickly. I'm sure you'll understand in no time."

"Not to mention that some of those stats are self-explanatory," Tamma said.

"But your class is Centurion. And your element is Metal. That means that you've got a lot of defense and you're able to stay a Purifier for longer than average."

"Right, right." Aurrie nodded her head, feigning comprehension. "Imma just let you girls worry about all those stats and stuff. I'm just here to deliver some good, ol' fashioned payback. How does that sound?"

Miwah and Tamma both laughed. "That is just fine with me," the seamstress said. "As long as you are on our side.”

"Don't forget that you managed to get stronger after that fight, Aurrie. You're able to pick some stats to level up now that you've gone through your first ever battle!"

The housekeeper shrugged her shoulders. "Doesn't matter to me. No one said I had to do math when I became a Purifier. I'll do whatever our group needs. I'm not the kind to fuss over small details."

"That is quite ironic coming from someone who earned a living cleaning inns and taverns," Miwah said.

"And that's exactly why I'm not worried about 'em. Spent so much of my time makin' sure every nook and cranny was just right. I don't need anythin' else stressin' me out."

"That's good to hear," Tamma said. "Seems like each one of us can focus on a different branch. I've been strengthening my stats in the Technique branch. Miwah's got her eyes on Offense."

"So that leaves me with defense then, huh?"

"Of course, if you are fine with that," Miwah said. "And just because you are a Centurion, that does not mean you can diversify your abilities. For example, I put some more points into Vigor so I can transform for longer and not have to wait as long for my abilities to return."

"That's what Vigor does, huh?" Aurrie said with a tap of her foot.

"The three of you can stay transformed for about fifteen minutes, give or take depending on the exact number of your Vigor. Then it's roughly half a day. About ten hours for your typically novice-level Purifier."

"We won't be fighting all day, will we?" Aurrie asked with a bit of worry in her voice. "Sounds exhaustin'. I spent only fifteen minutes as a Purifier and I'm ready to collapse on a soft bed underneath some warm sheets."

"You'll get better the longer you are a Purifier. And trust me, I've seen it all. It's possible that you'll spend more time as a Purifier than in your normal form."

Aurrie shook her head. "I can tell ya right now that's not somethin' I'm lookin' forward to."

"Don't worry. It's a rare occurrence. I have seen it before to some of the most powerful Purifiers. Let's just hope that our current situation doesn't require you girls to live in your Purifier forms."

"You're doing a good job of convincing the lass to change her mind, Yalch," Tamma said as she stepped closer into the conversation. "We are in a bit of a rush. And I know you're tired. Fortunately, I know of a place where we can get a bit of rest."

"Is there anything you need back at the inn?" Miwah asked. "Unfortunately, I have a feeling that you will not be able to return. But if there is something truly important... perhaps we can make an exception and help you retrieve it."

Aurrie sighed. "No, no. I don't think so. That place is nothtin' but bad memories anyway. And the Cutthroats took everythin' that my Pa ever owned once he lost that bet."

"If there's nothing left to do here, then we'll be heading on to Upper Farrowport."

"We're goin' up there?"

Tamma nodded. "But we'll have to make a stop on the way."

"Are we going to pick up a certain... someone?" Miwah asked.

The hunter winked. "You know it!"

1