Chapter 87: Breaking News
16 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"And I get to stop by the island's University? You never told me that I'd be gettin' a full-on tour!" Aurrie gave Tamma a nudge on the shoulder. "Free food. A little hike. This is turnin' out to be a great trip," Aurrie said as she caught up with Miwah and Tamma. The group gathered in front of Chaston's door, with Alson waiting for confirmation to open it.

"You say that now. But just wait until you hear the real reason why you have been chosen to be a Purifier," Miwah said.

"I figured it wasn't gonna be all fun and games," Aurrie said. "But at least I can enjoy a bit of upper-Farrowport life while I'm here."

"Let's just hope we all survive long enough to keep ‘enjoying’ this life,” the guard said as he unlocked the door. "You girls didn't tell your new friends about what they're getting themselves into?"

"I think they know enough, lad," Tamma replied. "Aurrie here can hold her own."

Alson turned around and eyed Daego. "And what about you? Do you have any special powers? Or maybe some kind of combat training?"

The swindler shook his head and shrugged. "Nope. But I'm a good a persuader."

Alson rolled his eyes. "Yeah. I'm sure that will come in handy with what we're dealing with." The sarcasm in his tone was more than obvious. 

"Leave him alone," Tamma said. "He's got some skills that might be of use. Besides, I'd rather have him on our side than no one at all."

"Fine." Alson pushed the door open and held it open with one hand and gestured with his other for everyone to get inside. "Chaston's room is at the end of the hall."

"Thank you," Miwah said as she passed the guard. 

Tamma stayed behind to fasten Lug's leash to one of the posts next to the building. "Stay here, boy. Hopefully we won't be too long." The hunter gave Lug a rub on the neck and received a lick on the cheek in return. 

"Is Lug part of the team too?" Alson said with persistent sarcasm. 

"I'd say so. He's loyal. And a bit obedient."

The group remained silent until they reached the end of the hall. Tamma and Alson looked at each other then at the door to the researcher's room. "You want to knock this time?" the guard asked. "He already seemed frustrated with me the last time I tried talking to him."

"Sure, lad." Tamma knocked on the door with the back of her hand. In a few seconds, it opened and Chaston stood in front of them. His glasses were off, showing the long bags underneath his eyes. His posture was slumped forward as he rubbed the back of his shoulder. The man's hair was messy with stray strands sticking out of place with neither rhyme nor reason. 

"Tamma..." he said drearily. He rubbed one eye with the back of his hand and then scanned the rest of the group. "Looks like you've brought some new faces along."

The two residents of lower Farrowport emerged to the front of the group. "This is Aurrie. And that's Daego."

Chaston saluted them with a tip of his hand. "Greetings." He stepped out of the doorway and looked further down the hall. "Did you... happen to bring anyone else?"

Miwah shook her head. "Just us. Oh, and Lug."

"That's it?" Chaston said, unable to hide a bit of disappointment. "No one else in lower Farrowport wanted to help out?"

"You're asking for a lot, sir," Tamma replied. "You know how the folks down there are."

"But you should not underestimate Aurrie," Miwah added. She placed a hand on Aurrie's shoulder while keeping eye contact with Chaston. "She can hold her own."

"I apologize for potentially jumping to conclusions. Or maybe it's because I don't have my glasses on, but I don't see how a young girl could prove to be of much help in our dire situation."

"She's got strength, sir. A special kind," Tamma said.

"I can confirm. Tamma, Daego and I all saw what she is capable of firsthand."

"She took down one of the Cutthroat's biggest men!" Daego added. The researcher's eyes grew at the remark.

"Really?"

The housekeeper nodded and flexed her arm upwards. "Really."

"Well, we don't have the luxury of being picky." The researcher stepped inside his room and gave enough space for the group to enter. "Please, come in. Make yourselves at home. We have a lot to discuss."

"Is it all right if I shut my eyes a bit?" Daego asked as he wobbled inside. 

"Oh... sure." Chaston pointed at a chair in the corner of the room. "Feel free to rest in that seat over there."

"Thanks." Daego followed through with the offer and sat in the chair with arms crossed and eyes closed tight.

"Is he all right?" a confused Chaston asked.

"Yeah, he's fine. Just a bit too much Rhoda Rum," Aurrie said.

"Ah."

"What news do you have for us, Chaston?" Tamma asked she hovered the researcher's desk. Books and papers were scattered across its surface and all around the floor. She reached over and picked up the pair of glasses resting on top of a dusty book and handed them over to Chaston.

"I think I have a lead as to where the Insectus could be hiding." Chaston said as he put his glasses on. "But it's dangerous."

"Of course it is," Alson groaned.

"Yes. That's why I was hoping for some more reinforcements. I'm not fond of sending young men... and especially young women... out to risk their lives on such a deadly threat. If you don't want to go through with this I understand. I would never ask you to do something that I wouldn't do myself."

"Let's hear what we've got to deal with first, sir," Tamma said with confidence. 

"Right. The Insectus has to make a nest from what I gather. From the diary entries I've looked through, it seems that they might be attracted to damp locations. The moisture allows them to reproduce rapidly."

"There are plenty of places like that! We're on an island for cryin' out loud!" Aurrie said.

"I know. But I've parsed together some other details that can help us narrow down the possibilities. A damp environment isn't the only prerequisite for their breeding. Like any other species they need to feed. So that leaves a lot of the more densely populated out."

"Feed?" Aurrie said with confusion. "What exactly are we talkin' about here? I thought we were dealin' with Cutthroats!"

"We are," Chaston said. "And Ghenkans. And a rare breed of carnivorous and parasitic monsters called the 'Insectus.'"

Aurrie's face froze with a look of utter disbelief. 

"I'm sure Yalch told you that it would be dangerous," Tamma said to the awestruck Aurrie.

"Yeah. He did. And that’s it. Not much else."

"Yalch?" Chaston asked, looking just as confused as Aurrie.

"Don't worry about it now," Tamma said.

"All that fella told me was that bein' a Purifier is like a job! Never mentioned anything about... monsters and Ghenkans."

"If he was with us now I am sure he would have something witty to say," Miwah said.

"Now I'm confused," the researcher interrupted. "Purifiers? Yalch? Am I missing something here?"

"A bit. But we can elaborate on it later," Tamma said nervously. "Think you could go back to explaining what you discovered?"

The researcher adjusted his glasses and picked up a sheet of notes from the top of his desk. "Right. Once I'm done with all this, I would like some clarification though."

"Could I get some clarification first?" Aurrie crossed her arms and tapped her foot. 

Tamma looked at the researcher. "I'll handle it, Chaston." She then faced Aurrie. "You heard of Ghenkans, lass?"

"In passin'."

"They're a band of fierce warriors. Stronger than the Cutthroats, that’s for sure. They slaughtered all of Miwah's village and now they're probably planning on clearing out Farrowport next."

"And there's even more we gotta deal with?" Aurrie moaned.

"Yeah. They're only half the problem. Turns out they brought along some kind of bug. They dig into animals and take control of them. Make them crazy and bloodthirsty. We found some of their victims up in the forest."

"And it is possible for them to take over humans, too," Miwah added.

"According to Chaston, they're also a sign of great danger. Apparently, no one's seen or heard of them in centuries outside of a few myths and legends in foreign lands. But the main thing to worry about is their queen. Once she starts breeding, Farrowport is done."

"You summed it up fairly well, Tamma. But you didn't mention that the queen isn't like what you'd see in normal insect species. It's far larger and deadlier."

"How deadly are we talkin'?" Aurrie asked.

"Extremely. Armored exoskeleton. Rumored to grow to the size of a small building. And I think it is safe to assume that she'll come with all sorts of offensive capabilities as well."

Alson winced. "Just thinking about it makes my skin crawl."

"That's why I hope to exterminate it before it becomes a serious threat. But it's hard to plan against something that has so little information readily available on it."

"What about where the Insectus prefers to nest?" Miwah asked. "We could easily siege it and destroy all of traces of it."

"I was planning on getting to that. But other topics were brought up and derailed the conversation."

"Oh, right," Tamma said.

The researcher smacked his page of notes with the back of his hand. "Now then. Shall I continue with my recent findings?"

1