Chapter 91: An Anxious Introduction
25 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

All three paused. The light from the stars above created just enough illumination to give a definitive view of the silhouette they had been chasing. They stood several yards away and stared in awe.

"That's gotta be it," Aurrie whispered. 

"Has to be. Don't who else would build a home like... that... in the middle of a place... like this..." Tamma whispered back. She slowly pulled the arrow against the string of her bow, her finger trembling to keep the projectile from launching. 

"You are overexaggerating," Miwah said lowly. "Remember? Chaston said she helped him study magic. I doubt she will be a threat if she is that open to teaching a stranger."

"I'm more concerned with the bodies she's brought back! They might be restless."

The seamstress held onto Tamma's hand that clutched the arrow. "Put it away. If things go wrong..." Miwah jingled the chain of her Beacon.

With a sigh, Tamma obeyed. She stashed the arrow in her quiver and placed the bow over her shoulder. The trio ventured together, side by side. As they zeroed in on their destination, their steps slowed. In the next moment, all three were close enough to see shadows moving in the light that shined through the window. 

"There's someone in there!" Tamma exclaimed as loud as whisper could be. "What should we do next?"

"Probably knock," Aurrie said. "No point in hesitatin,' tryin' to come up with a plan when we've already come this far." The housekeeper travelled along the trail and stopped in front of the door. She turned around and noticed that only Miwah caught up with her. The two girls together waved at Tamma. With some hesitation, the hunter caught up.

"Who's gonna knock?" Aurrie asked Miwah. "I know Tamma ain't gonna do it. That just leaves me and you. You’re a whole lot politer than I am. But I ain’t afraid of a witch, either. So if your nerves are getting’ the best of you, I’m willin’ to knock."

"I am fine. I can knock on the door." The seamstress tapped on the front door with the back of her hand. The shadows in the window stopped moving as if they were staring outside before vanishing to the side. Miwah stood with her arms behind her back Aurrie stood with arms crossed. All remained silent as they waited for the door to open. 

"Not like it's a big place," Aurrie whispered with a bit of annoyance after a minute passed as she tapped her foot. 

"Just be patient. They must not be used to visitors."

"Try knockin' again." Aurrie rubbed her bare arms with her hands. “It’s cold out here.”

Miwah lifted her hand again, ready to tap on the door until it opened. Her hand lingered mid-air as a warm light escaped from the hut and illuminated the space in front of the door. All eyes quickly looked down at the small girl standing in the doorway.

"Hello," the soft voice said. The girl cradled her pet bunny in her arms as one hand gently brushed the small bit of fur left on the half-decaying head. Both Miwah and Aurrie jumped back with wide open eyes when they saw the undead rabbit peering back at them with one open eye. Tamma let out a yelp and reached for her bow but paused as her hand lingered over her quiver of arrows. 

"Edith!" And older, tired voice called out from the depths of the hut. An elderly woman stood over the small child and put a hand on her shoulder. "Head on inside, child. Let me handle our guests."

"Yes, mother," Edith said before darting underneath the elderly woman's arms. The woman's attention shifted from to the three girls standing in front of her. She crossed her arms as her eyes panned across the trio. She gave each one a concerning glare with her squinted eyes.

"What are you doing here?" she asked sternly.

Miwah reached into her robe and pulled the envelope Chaston gave her. "We were told to give you this." 

The old woman took the envelope and opened the seal. She unfolded the note inside and slowly read it.

"Gertrude I'm guessin'?" Aurrie asked.

"Yes," she replied without taking her eyes off the page.

"We were told that you are one of the most powerful magic users on this island," Miwah said.

"I suppose some would say that." Gertrude folded up the paper and handed it back to the seamstress.

"You read the message?" Aurrie asked.

"I did."

"So... think you'd be able to help us out?" 

The witch's face maintained the same look as she shot a cold glance at the housekeeper. "You have quite the way with words."

"Apologies, Miss Gertrude," Miwah said with a bow. "As the note explained, we are limited on time."

"Right. If that's the case, why don't you three come inside?" Gertrude stepped out of the doorway and invited the three in with a wave of her hand. "It's getting chilly out there. No point in us talking about such an important matter in the dark and cold."

Miwah smiled and gave the witch a bow. She entered first with Aurrie following behind her. Tamma stood at the edge of the doorway, peering into the room and scanning the interior. 

"You are allowed inside as well, young lady," Gertrude said to the hunter. Miwah took Tamma by the hand and quickly tugged her inside. 

"Not much of a talker, are you?" the witch said to Tamma.

"No. Not really," she replied softly.

"She is. Any other time she’d have somethin’ to say." Aurrie interrupted as she pulled out a chair from the center table. "Tamma’s just from Bahnwa. I'm guessin' an old lady like you know how Bahnwans can be about dark magic and stuff like that."

"Of course. I had a Bahwnan friend in my younger years." The witch grabbed a chair from the corner of the room and plopped in front of Tamma. "Pleasant people."

"Thank you," Tamma said with a shaky smile. She sat down and scooted in closer to the table. "It's just that rumors about you... got me feeling a bit nervous."

"Rumors?" Gertrude with genuine puzzlement. "What rumors?"

"Necromancy," Tamma said bluntly. "You know. Messing with the dead."

"Ah. I see." Once the trio was situated at the table, Gertrude stood at the other side, placing her hands on the edge and leaned forward. Her dark eyes stared right into Tamma's. The hunter returned to her anxious state as the witch kept her eyes still. "Those rumors are tree."

Tamma leaned back in her chair, paralyzed with fear. Miwah and Aurrie looked at the hunter and then at each other. 

"That is my area of expertise. One of the few in the world. And it's the reason why I live here."

"Chaston never said nothin' about you bein' able to raise the dead," Aurrie said.

"I remember Chaston. He was quite intelligent. Very hungry for knowledge. But he was concerned more with learning about what has been well-documented. He struck me as the kind of person to shrug off the concept of necromancy as mere hearsay."

"He never asked you about dark magic?" Miwah asked.

Gertrude shook her head. "No. And that's why I never told him. Having this kind of power brings unwanted attention. It comes as no surprise that there are countless people who are willing to do anything to bring back a loved one. But they have no idea of the cost of such power. I had to leave for the sake of my own sanity."

"I see," Miwah said. "You chose not to tell Chaston because you wanted to limit the spread of information as much as possible."

"Exactly," Gertrude said with a nod. "Now, it seems that the issue you have is something that I can help you with."

"You talkin' about the Spell Stone?" Aurrie asked.

"Yes. That shouldn't be a problem. Crafting a Spell Stone is an easy task for me." She walked around the table and started to scan the wide assortment of objects on her shelf. "I might even have the necessary ingredients to make one right now. Chaston said that you girls need some anti-insect magic?"

"That is correct," Miwah said.

"I see." She rummaged through the top shelf and grabbed a few supplies before looking over her shoulder to the girls. "And... where is the other one?"

"Other one?" Aurrie asked. "You talkin' to us?"

"I am looking at you, aren't I? I believe another friend of yours came by not too long ago."

All three looked at each other in utter bewilderment. "No," Miwah said. "There are only three of us."

"Ah, I understand. I assumed that Purifiers always travelled together."

The group turned silent. "You... know about Purifiers?" Tamma muttered.

"Of course I do." Gertrude returned to the table and placed the objects on the table. A bug encased in ember, various plants and roots along with a bowl containing an ominous black powder lay on the middle of the table. "After all, I used to be one."

1