Chapter 94: A Change of Mind
16 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"What is wrong, Tamma?" Miwah asked as she sprinted behind the hunter. Tamma turned her head past her shoulder for a moment, revealing her face full of worry before looking straight again.

"I'm hearing some grizzlewulfs in the distance!" Tamma replied after taking in a deep breath. 

"Grizzlewulfs?" Aurrie exclaimed. "Didn't plan on dealin' with any of those tonight!"

"Neither did I! They're not usually in this part of the island. But I recognize that growl anywhere. And sounds like there's more than one of them!"

"What is the plan now, Tamma?" Miwah asked as she continued to sprint. 

"We've got to warn Gertrude and Edith!" 

The growling of the ravenous beasts continued to echo through the night. Miwah and Aurrie followed Tamma’s path towards the lone hut of the swamp. After what seemed to be an endless run, the silhouette of the small building became visible underneath the moonlight. 

The hunter came to an abrupt stop, making the other two put an end to their sprint as well. "Looks like they beat us here," Tamma whispered as she took her bow off her shoulder. A pair of grizelwulfs roamed the perimeter, slowly circling it as they continued their growls.

"I thought those animals were peaceful!" Aurrie said.

"They usually are. You'd never see them roaming around humans like that." Tamma held her breath and steadied her arm. One of the large, gray-haired beasts stood on all fours in front of the hut's door. 

"Tamma and I encountered a wild grizlewulf when we first met. It had been taken over the Insectus and tried to kill us," Miwah said as she watched Tamma adjust the aim on her bow. The hunter released her fingers that held the arrow. The projectile soared through the night, completely obscured by the darkness. Then there was the faint sound of metal piercing flesh followed by the grizewulf in front of the shack letting out a howl of pain before tipping over to its side. The remaining beast turned around and noticed the girls further down the path. 

"Nice shot, Tamma," Aurrie said as she brandished her sword and shield. 

"That's what years of practice does." Tamma pulled another arrow from her quiver and readied her aim. "But I only have so many arrows. Think you two can keep up if I run out?"

Miwah readied her sword as well. "Aurrie and I are capable."

"Good." Tamma lifted her bow and shut one eye. With her arrow drawn, the remaining animal pounced forward at full speed, its long tongue swaying while flashing rows of serrated teeth. The hunter fired another shot, this time hitting the animal in the front leg. It crumpled forward, skidding across the dirt headfirst.

Miwah advanced forward and with a precise stab, ending the animal's life by piercing it in the head. She withdrew her weapon from the freshly formed wound and headed straight towards the witch's house. "Gertrude!" she shouted as the others followed behind. The front door opened. The old woman stood in the doorway and waved for the girls to come inside.

"Hurry! It's not safe out there!" she called out.

All three stepped over the dead grizlewulf that lay twitching in front of hut and entered the hut in a single file. With Aurrie being the last one in, she shut the door behind her and propped her back against it.

"Are you three all right?" Gertrude said with a look of worry. Edith stood behind her, hiding behind her leg with Mister Cuddles pressed close against her body. "I've never seen grizlewulfs act so aggressively before."

"They're not supposed to act like that, ma'am," Tamma said as she made her way to the hut's front window. "That's the Insectus taking over!"

"What? That's terrible!" Gertrude replied with disgust. She turned around to look at her daughter. "Edith, whatever you do, make sure your pet stays away from any other animals. Understand?"

The child nodded. "Yes, mother."

"It seems that we have even less than time than we anticipated," Gertrude said after facing the group again.

"Maybe it's time you put that magic of yours to use!" Aurrie said as she kept her back pressed against the door. Something outside started to beat down on it, making the door shake despite the housekeeper's efforts to keep it shut.

"Stand aside." Gertrude waved her hand, urging Aurrie to move out the way.

"You tryin' to let a grizlewulf inside?"

"No. I'm going to stop it. And I don't want you getting hurt."

Aurrie obeyed, quickly moving out of the way. With her to keep it shut, the door shook harder, with the wood cracking as the pounding from the other side intensified. 

"Gertrude! Whatever's on the other side is gonna break through!"

The witch paid the woman's words no mind. She closed her eyes and raised her hands with fingers spread. The air around her hands turned dark, as if they were absorbing the surrounding light given off by the flickering candles inside. The old woman remained still despite the door slowly breaking apart only a few feet in front of her.

The trio all readied their weapons with Aurrie standing in front of Edith. She put her shield in front of her body and held her accompanying short above it, ready to strike. Meanwhile, Tamma took aim with another arrow, pointing the head at the widening crack. 

"Whatever's outside is gonna break through any second!" Aurrie said as she maintained her defensive state. Edith took shelter behind the housekeeper's legs while the others remained focused on the brittle door. One last crash from the other side sent the wood shattering to countless bits. 

An enraged grizlewulf stood on the other side, staring at the witch with its yellow eyes opened wide. Froth oozed between the jagged teeth of the beast as it dug its claws into what remained of the door frame. 

"Leave our home!" Gertrude shouted. With the dark aura still surrounding her hands, the clasped them together in front of her. Black lightning shot out from her hands. The magic made thunderous boom as it jumped from the tips of the witch's fingers and straight into the grizlewulf's flesh.

The animal convulsed. Smoke rose from its body as its fur singed from the heat of the spell. The grizlewulf toppled forward into the doorway, its head sideways as its tongue stuck out its open mouth.

"Gertrude!" Tamma shouted as she eased the tension on her bow. "We need you on our side!"

The witch turned around and saw all three girls staring at the sizzling body stuck halfway in her home. "Perhaps you were right. I don't know how far my body can take me, but I will do my best to get through this swamp. If this is what's threatening the island, it might be time to come out of our little home."

"We're leaving?" Edith asked as she poked her head out from the shelter of Aurrie's leg.

"Yes, child." Gertrude walked back inside and grabbed a large pouch from her shelf and began stuffing it with various objects scattered about the room. "Go and grab some things, Edith. But only what you absolutely need."

"Yes, mother," Edith said before disappearing into the back. 

"I'll keep her safe in case another grizlewulf tries to break through." Aurrie followed the girl inside her room with her shield and sword ready.

"Don't worry about getting through the swamp, ma'am," Tamma said as she stared out the front of the house. "We'll carry you through if we have to!"

"I appreciate the sentiment, Tamma, but I'd rather die than slow you down." Gertrude picked up a small medallion from the top of her shelf. She held it in one hand, staring at intently before carefully putting it inside her pouch.

"We will not leave you behind," Miwah said. "We should focus more on getting you and Edith out of her safe instead of the worst-case scenario."

The witch sighed. She slung her pouch over her shoulder and walked in the direction of Edith's room. As she approached, the sound of more ravenous animals echoed throughout the night. "Edith! Did you get what you needed? Only bring what is essential!"

The child came running out with a small bag in one hand Mister Cuddles slung over shoulder. "I'm ready, mother."

"Good." 

Edith kept her head down. She started to sniffle as she wiped away the tears in her eyes with the back of her hand. Gertrude got on one knee and lifted her head head up with one finger. Both made eye contact despite the girl's continuous sobbing. 

"I know you're worried, Edith."

"I don't want to leave home!" The girl said, taking in deep breaths between each word.

"We'll come back here, Edith. I understand that this is the only home you've ever known, but it's not safe now. Once things clear up, we'll return."

"Promise?" Edith asked somewhat calmer. 

"I promise." Gertrude reached down and hugged the girl and gave her a gentle pat on the back.

"I understand that this is an important moment, but it sounds like we've got more animals lookin' for trouble!" Aurrie said as she over the animal that Gertrude shocked. 

"She's, right Edith." The witch stood up and guided the girl by tugging underneath her arm. "Not time for tears now. The sooner we leave, the better."

1