Chapter 99: On the March
14 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Narrita and Eijnar reunited with both groups back down in the hull. The Cutthroats remained in the center while the Ghenkans encompassed them with their weapons drawn, but many of Narrita's former gang were allowed to stand and hold their own swords.

"Looks like we've come to an understanding!" the Ghenkan captain said as he stepped inside the room. "Does my heart good to see people from different parts of the world unite under a single cause!"

"We're just here to get what's ours," Horace said as he stepped towards Eijnar. He looked at Narrita who refused to make eye contact with him. "Is she coming along?"

"She is. Got a problem with that?" Eijnar said without a smile. 

"No. Just surprised that she decided to tag along seeing as how she's gotten all soft."

"Well, I have a way with words, Horace. She didn't take much convincing."

"Don't expect us to protect her. Her brand of leadership has gotten more than a few Cutthroats killed."

"Didn't expect you to." Eijnar walked past Horace and towards a group of Ghenkans in the corner of the hull. "You three. Stay with Narrita to make sure she stays safe. And doesn't try to flee." The three bulky warriors raised their weapons and shouted with a unanimous "Aye!"

"Are we heading out now?" Horace asked. "We've been itching to get a decent haul for a while now."

"We'll have to move the ship. You don't want to walk all the way from this dock up to the Governor's District do you?"

"No."

"Exactly." Eijnar patted Horace on the stomach. "Gotta save your energy for fighting! And no point in bringing all your treasure back down that long and winding path."

Horace turned around to face the Cutthroats. They stood up with their weapons held tight in their hands. The gang of thieves became livelier, bouncing around in their eagerness. "Looks like you fellas are ready to get your feet on the ground."

"Perfect. Looks like I struck gold with coming across the Cutthroats on such an important night!" Eijnar snapped his fingers and twirled his hand in the air. "All right. You two," he said as he pointed to two Ghenkans. "Let's get this plan started. We'll be heading out to the other side of the island now." 

Eijnar and the other two men started heading to the stairs leading out of the hull until Narrita stood in front of the captain.

"Am I coming along?" she asked.

"No, you can stay here. Maybe you and your men can reconcile while we head towards our destination." With a hearty laugh, Eijnar exited the hull. The Ghenkans assigned to guard Narrita remained still, holding their axes in both heads and ready to strike. 

Narrita looked at Horace. He noticed her gaze, only to turn his head away as she approached. "Horace," she sternly. He remained silent, instead keeping his eyes focused on the other Cutthroats. "I know you can hear me!" She tugged on his arm and made him turn around.

"What is it?" he said sternly.

"You're not serious, are you?"

"About what?"

With worried eyes, Narrita looked around the area. "About...everything!"

He broke eye contact. Instead looking at Narrita, he tilted his head low. 

"Horace! Just say what you want to. This could be our last night alive. Don't let what could be our final moments together... pouting!"

"I was heated, Narrita," Horace said embarrassed. "Some of what I said about you was true," he whispered. He looked up at the three men that stood at Narrita's side before stepping in closer to her. "But... I can say I went overboard. Spur of the moment kind of thing."

The former Cutthroat leader lowered her head and angled her head to the side, giving the Ghenkans behind her a cold glare before meeting eye to eye with Horace. "I see. But I can't condone this."

"This is the break we've been looking for, Narrita. It's what we deserve!" Horace said in a louder tone. "How long have we been toiling in that run down building?" He grabbed Narrita by the shoulders and looked into her eyes with a smile. "Now we can finally be something. No more having to hide from the Farrowport Guard. No more people looking down us. After all our time living barely above beggars, we get this... opportunity!"

"To become monsters?" Narrita said with disgust. "I understand the temptation. But Horace... there's better ways to get ahead in life."

"I'm sorry, Narrita. I don't think we'll be able to see eye to eye on this way. And neither will the rest of the Cutthroats."

Narrita sighed. "So, is this really the end?" Her eyes turned red, and tears swelled in her lids. "After all we've been through. After losing Pierce. And Wystan."

"The rest of the men are excited. You're the only one that's having cold feet," Horace said as he pointed at Narrita's chest. "If you don't want to keep with us anymore, I don't blame you. But me and the rest of the gang have made our decision. It's time for us to finally live up to our namesake."

"Fine." Narrita crossed her arms. "Seems like the Cutthroats are no more then. So much for loyalty."

Horace turned his back to the woman. "Yeah. So much for that."


Narrita stayed under the close watch of the three men assigned to her. The Cutthroats mingled with the Ghenkans as their ship stayed close Farrowport's shore. Within an hour's time, the ship docked within Farrowport's market center. Eijnar came walking back into the hull accompanied by a few of his fellow Ghenkans. Together they began to unfasten the door from the hull. 

"This is it fellas!" Eijnar said to the unruly crowd as his two men continued to untie the ropes fastened the boarding door to the hull. "Are you ready to change your lives forever?"

All the men raised their weapons high and shouted with excitement. The captain basked in the praise, nodding his head as he looked towards the group of anxious marauders. He stole a glance to Narrita, taking delight in Narrita's dismay as she watched her former gang shout and jump around like animals.

"Even though the market is all but empty, we still need to be swift in going up the island. Try not to alert too many people, all right?" Eijnar said, his voice slightly lower. The rest of the men lowered their voices once the boarding door dropped. The Ghenkans stepped out of the way, letting Horace and the rest of the Cutthroats stand by the exit. 

"You know the fastest route to upper Farrowport?" Eijnar asked the new Cutthroat leader.

"Of course. And I can take us through the path with the fewest possible witnesses."

Eijnar smacked the back of Horace's shoulder. "I'm glad I found you and your gang. You don't think anyone down here would be hurrying to alert the Farrowport Guard, would they?"

Horace shook his head. "Doubt it. People down here are too focused on their own lives to risk running ahead and alerting the Governor and her guards. Besides, it's not like they do much for the rest of us anyway."

With a big grin and a bow, Eijnar offered Horace the first step off the boat. "Then I'll let you lead, good sir. The Ghenkans will trail close behind. And don't worry about them drawing attention. We've been through our fair share of stealth assaults. We know how to keep quiet." 

Horace whistled and the Cutthroats rallied behind him in a close formation. They left stepped into the empty market first. The cool night breeze carried the soft sound of crickets chirping through the air. Once the bandits were off, the Ghenkans remained close behind, following the group through the winding path towards upper Farrowport. In a few minutes, the majority of the men were off the boat and marching their way to their destination. Only Eijnar, Narrita and a few other Ghenkans remained.

"You didn't say anything about the Insectus," Narrita said to Eijnar. "That sounds like an important detail."

The captain shrugged and returned the comment with a soft grin. "Not like there's much evidence that the Insectus even exist. Didn't have the time to convince them that those myths were true."

"Or maybe you didn't want them backing out," Narrita said in return. 

"That's part of it. I notice you didn't say anything either, though. Couldn't have been that important if you decided to keep your lips sealed."

Narrita glanced over her shoulder and looked at the three men with their axes clutched tight in front of their chests and pointed at them with her thumb. "Yeah. These guys ready to chop my head off at a moment's notice had nothing to do with it."

"Now you're thinking like a Ghenkan!" Eijnar said as he tapped his forehead. "No more talking now. I don't want you getting left behind." He gave one of the men guarding Narrita a shove towards the exit. "Time for you to get going."

The men watching Narrita stepped off the boat first, followed the former bandit leader herself. Eijnar waved as they started to catch up with the rest of the attack group. "Don't worry about... you know what!" Eijnar called out just loud enough for Narrita to hear but not those further up ahead. "We'll be providing you with cover fire. All the way down here."

"Coward," Narrita muttered under her breath as she faced the other direction. The top of the Governor’s blocked some of the full moon, creating a distinct silhouette in the sky. She stared at it for a moment before the men assigned to her clanked the handle of their weapons against the ground.

“I’m coming, I’m coming,” Narrita said with annoyance as she caught up with the others.

1