Chapter 123: And That Makes Three
17 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Hey, Aurrie," Tamma whispered into the housekeeper's ear. She lay motionless on the sand, lying on her back. The hunter waved a hand in front of her face only to receive no response.

"She's not dead, is she?" Narrita replied as she pressed a hand against her forehead. "That blast hurt. I can still feel it in my bones. And Aurrie here was the one that took the brunt of the force."

"She is still alive," Miwah said as she pressed a hand against Aurrie's chest. "Her heart is still beating."

"It's just a matter of waking the lass up!" Tamma said as she reached around Aurrie's back and propped her up. She gave the unconscious girl a gentle nudge, rocking her body from side to side. "Aurrie! Please!"

"Huh...?" The housekeeper mumbled to herself. She winced her eyes tighter before slowly opening them. "What's goin' on?" 

"Wake up, lass," Tamma said with a smile. "We've been waiting for you!"

Aurrie grunted before setting herself upright. "This ain't the afterlife, is it? Did we manage to take out that big bug?"

Narrita stepped forward and held a piece of the Queen's wing in front of Aurrie's face. She waved the charred and transparent chunk in front of the housekeeper. "What do you think this means?" she asked before dropping it on her lap.

Aurrie picked up the piece of the wing, gave it a look of disgust before flinging onto the sand behind her. "And what about Eijnar?"

Miwah and Aurrie steppe to the side so the housekeeper could get a clear view into the ocean. Only the smoldering tip of the Ghenkan boat remained as the rest remained sank beneath the waves. "A captain always go down with his ship!" Narrita said as she plopped herself on the sand. 

"So that means we're done then, right? We got the Queen. Took out the Ghenkans. There's not some secret third threat that y'all didn't mention?" Aurrie looked up at Yalch with mix of relief and worry in her eyes. 

"No, no. That should be everything for now," the ghost replied as he hovered lower with his hands drooping below his body. "You girls did grea! You all really did." He placed his hands over his mouth to stop a yawn from fully escaping. "Now all that's left to do is get some rest. All of us."

"I like that idea," Miwah said with a soft smile. "Perhaps even stop by the bathhouse if it has not been destroyed."

"Eijnar told me that their only target was upper Farrowport. I'm sure the bathhouse should still be intact along the other parts of Farrowport," Narrita said. 

"We've still got a lot to do though," a somber Tamma replied. She turned her head further up the beach and looked at Alson's motionless body. 

"I'm sorry Tamma," Aurrie said as she stood up straight. She placed a hand on the hunter's shoulder. "You lost a lot tonight."

"A lot of people have, lass. But I guess it could have been worse." Tamma tried to force a smile, but it soon inverted as she took another glance at her friend's body.

"Come on," Narrita said as she headed up the beach. "I know Gertrude and the others are probably worried sick about us. Let's head up there to let them know that we're still alive."


The group of four staggered through the still-burning town, making their way to the edge of the gate. As they walked along the path, countless other Farrowporters travelled in the other direction with buckets of water along with sage-like men dressed in robes with books and staves. 

Gertrude lay resting on the bench, her eyes closed tight and her hand resting on her head while Daego and Edith stood by her side. The girl turned around, still holding Mister Cuddles tight as she ran towards the bandit. "Rita!" she shouted as she skipped to the bandit.

"Hey kid!" Narrita said with a grin as she rustled the child's hair. "Is everyone fine?"

Edith nodded. "Yes. Mother is just sleeping."

"It's well deserved, lass," Tamma said. "We couldn't have gotten by without her."

"And Mister Cuddles made a new friend!" She lifted the decaying rabbit in front of Narrita's face. The bandit hesitantly stroked the few remaining strands of hair he had on his head.

"Oh yeah? And who would that be?"

Edith turned towards the bench. "Come on out, Mister Sniffles!" 

Lug poked his head past the side of the bench, his eyes opening wide when he noticed the hunter. The brillick came running with his tongue dangling out of his open mouth. 

"Lug!" Tamma got on her knees and spread her arms. Lug pounced on the hunter, pinning her to the ground with his weight as he licked her cheek. "I was so worried about you, lad!" The brillick squealed with joy as she continued to hug his owner. 

"I was worried too," Miwah said as she brushed back the fur of his nape. 

"I managed to get in touch with Farrowport's Emergency Fire Relief Team," Daego began. He watched more men dressed in robes with enchanted equipment run by. "The fires are bad, but it's nothing they're not equipped for."

"I just hope some of the town can be salvaged," Aurrie said as she stood next to Daego, both staring at the weakening blaze beyond the gate. Gertrude soon awoke, sitting up straight before pressing her hand against her injured leg. 

"I'm glad all four of you made it back up here," she said weakly. The four girls gathered around the witch.

"How is your leg?" Miwah asked.

"Been better. But I'll be fine with a lot of rest. And even more healing magic. And what of the Ghenkans and the Insectus?"

"Dead. Every last one of 'em." Aurrie said as she cracked a knuckle.

"Excellent." The witch looked towards the drowsy ghost. "Seems you have a talent for picking out Purifiers."

"I do my best."

"Looks like all that's left to do is to hold a memorial service for the fallen. Then the Farrowporters can start rebuilding. Remcroft will have to send in someone to fill the Governor's position, along with all of those under her jurisdiction that were killed in the siege."

"That could take months. Maybe even a year," Narrita said with disappointment. 

"Correct. But it must be done." Gertrude stood to her feet, wobbling to the side until Miwah and Tamma held onto her arms. 

"Don't try to overdo it, ma'am," Tamma said as she eased Gertrude back onto the bench. The fighting's over. You can rest."

"But there is still much work to be done. I'm a powerful witch. The people of this town could use my help. Especially now since the Farrowport Guard has been nearly eradicated."

"We'll help!" Tamma said. "This is our town. We have just as much of a responsibility to restore it as you do!"

"You four have done enough. Worry about the rest tomorrow. Get some sleep."

"The same can be said to you, Gertrude," Aurrie said. She looked at Daego again. "Think the inn will let us spend the night there along with a few guests?"

The swindler nodded his head and gave a coy grin. "I'm sure I could convince Donna to let us have a night on the house."


"Thank you so much for letting us stay here," Miwah said as she bowed to the bar owner. Donna finished picking up some shattered wood and laid them on the counter before addressing the party of guests. 

"Yeah, yeah. My gut says I shouldn't have done it, especially after all the rum Aurrie gave away!" The owner shot the housekeeper a mean glare before looking back at Miwah. "But I knew something wasn't right with that boat that was docked down by the port. But after seeing what those Ghenkans were capable of, things could have turned out a lost worse if you all weren't around."

"We'll only be here one night, ma'am," Tamma said as she entered the inn. "After that, we'll be out of your hair."

"You can stay an extra night or two if needed."

The others entered the inn with Narrita walking through last. Donna became surprised upon seeing the former Cutthroat leader. She placed one arm in front of the bandit and stopped her from entering. "Wait a second. What are you doing with them?"

"She's one of us, Donna," Aurrie said. "I know... she's got a rough past. But without her, none of us would be standin' here now."

Donna crossed her arms and shook her head. "Doesn't matter. She and her gang have terrorized this place for too long. Don't care if she helped save this island." She pointed one finger in Narrita's face, giving her the meanest scowl possible. "You are not welcome here! Ever!"

Embarrassed, Narrita took a few steps back so she was out of the door. Miwah and Tamma ran to the owner's side and began to plead. 

"Please! She is with us!" Miwah said. 

"Just let her stay! One night. We'll keep a close eye on her. I promise she won't do you or your inn any harm!" Tamma replied. 

Donna remained adamant. "I'm not changing my mind. She's staying out. If all of you have to stay together, then you'll have to find another place for the night."

Everyone in the group save for Narrita looked at each other. Aurrie left the inn first, with the others following behind her. Tamma exited last and gave the owner a polite wave. "Thanks for the offer, ma'am." 

"It's available at any time," Donna said as she closed the door. 

"What are you folks doing?" Narrita asked the group. "Don't pass up a free night of rest just for me!"

"We are not leaving you to be alone," Miwah said. 

"You really think we'd just up an abandon you after all we've been through tonight?" Tamma asked the bandit.

"Don't let your emotions cloud your judgement." Narrita crossed her arms and faced away from the group and towards the rest of the town. "I've spent most of my life just being a menace. And it's finally catching up to me. And now that the Cutthroats teamed up with the Ghenkans to siege upper Farrowport, I'm sure what remains of law enforcement is going to be hunting me down, too."

"We will tell them the truth!" Miwah said. "You helped put a stop to them!"

"They won't believe it, Miwah. After all I've done to the innocent people of this island. How close I was with the Cutthroats." Narrita sighed and took a few steps away from the inn. "If anything, they'll think all of you are helping me escape the law."

"Then so be it!" Tamma replied. "We know what really happened. Not like any of us lived luxurious lives in the first place. Holding out in lower Farrowport or down by the swamp wouldn't be much of a change in conditions for us."

"Speak for yourself," Aurrie said under her breath.

"No." Narrita shook her head. "I'm not going to let you all do that to yourselves." The bandit crouched next to Edith and looked into her eyes. "I'm going to leave. It's the best for everyone."

"Really, Rita?" the child asked with big, saddened eyes.

Narrita smiled, holding back her own tears. "Yeah. But don't worry. I'm sure we'll see each other again." She embraced Edith in her arms and gave her a firm hug. 

"Come on, lass. Surely you want to think this through just a bit more."

"I've been thinking about it for a while," Narrita said as she ended the hug and stood up. "There's nothing left here for me but a whole lot of my victims that want nothing but the worst for me. It's something that I've fostered for years. And now that the Cutthroats are gone, they'll be more than brazen to get their revenge. And that'll put the rest of you in harm's way."

"Gertrude!" Tamma pleaded with the witch. "Can you talk some sense into the poor lass?"

The witch eyed Narrita, placing a finger to her chin as she pondered. "Narrita is free to make her own decisions. She has valid points."

"You serious?" Tamma replied with shock. She then looked at Yalch. "Maybe you can convince her to stick around."

The ghost shrugged his shoulders. "You know, not every Purifier has to be in a group. I'd rather Narrita stay with the rest of you, but if she believes that sticking around will just be more trouble..."

"That settles it," Narrita said. She shook Miwah and Tamma's hand simultaneously. "Been a pleasure working with you." The bandit then gave a Gertrude a hug and a pat on the back. "And I'll be sure to keep my end of the promise," she whispered. 

"I believe you," Gertrude said with a slight grin. 

"Sorry about stealing your treats," Narrita said to Lug as she tickled the underside of his chin. "And you sir, did a good job." She said to Daego with a pat on the shoulder. 

"Likewise."

The bandit stopped in front of Aurrie. The two women stared at each other, not with disdain but with respect. Aurrie extended on hand out, to which Narrita promptly shook. "Thanks for savin' me back there," the housekeeper said. 

"No problem. And it's not like you didn't return the favor."

"Yeah. It's part of my new job, after all."

"And..." Narrita hesitated. She turned her eyes away from Aurrie. "I'm sorry. About your father."

"No point in apologizin' now. It'll just bring up bad emotions that neither one of us need right at the moment."

"Yeah. You're right." Narrita ended the handshake and moved further towards the dock at the bottom of the island. "Never been good at farewells."

"I'm sure we'll cross paths again," Yalch said. "Purifiers are always drawn together."

The bandit chuckled. "Knowing that makes this all a bit easier." She wiped a single tear away from her eye with the back of her hand and started down the path. Narrita gave one last look behind and waved. Everyone else waved back until Narrita turned around again and ventured further along the trail before disappearing into the night. 

1