Chapter 15: Homesick
107 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tamma led Miwah and Lug through the forest without further interruptions. It didn't take long for the end to be in sight; just up ahead the trees were less dense and the dirt trail turned to stone. The seamstress smiled, letting out an audible sigh as she picked up the pace, walking adjacent to the hunter instead of behind.

"Imagine if we had been overtaken by that grizlewulf so close to town," Miwah said sarcastically. 

Tamma chuckled. "That would be a tragedy, eh? So close yet so far."

"Is there anything I should know about Farrowport before entering? Any customs or laws that I should be aware of? Afterall, you said that I might... not fit in." As she shared her sentiment, a look of concern came across her face. 

Tamma waved her hand while maintaining the same friendly smile. "Ah, don't stress yourself out too much Miwah. Don't steal. Don't hurt. You know. The basics. If you stay with me, I'll make sure to keep you out of trouble."

The seamstresses put a hand over her chest. "Thank you, Tamma. I do not know what I would have happened to me without you."

"Might best to not think about it. Let's just focus on getting some real food for you to eat." Tamma then plugged her nose with her fingers. "And maybe we can get you cleaned up a bit. You're starting to smell like a sailor." Miwah's face became flush with embarrassment. "Don't feel bad about it. Farrowport is full of seafarers, so no one would notice that you smell like you’ve spent the past few days getting grimy. But I must admit, the scent of sweat, sea salt and dirt doesn't match that delicate figure of yours."

"I try to take better care of myself. I just have not had a spare moment. Pillagers and ravenous animals have gotten in the way of my personal time."

"You've got a sense of humor, Miwah. I can appreciate that!" As Tamma finished her sentence, the pair had reached the final tree of the forest. The hunter bent a slim trunk to the side, giving both her and Miwah a clear view of the town ahead. Beyond the steep slope of dirt and roots was an expanse of sand gray stone. Further out there were brick buildings with pointed wooden rooves that lined the horizon. Pillars of smoke climbed upwards across the town's skyline. To the sides of the clumped mass of buildings, boats travelled to and from the shore.

"Welcome to Farrowport, Miwah," Tamma said. The seamstress continued to scan the width of the city before eyeing the distance remaining tow the city.

"Still a bit of a walk," Miwah said.

"Not much compared to what we've just been through." She stepped forward out of the forest and whistled in a familiar note. Lug came barging through the trees, his tongue sticking out as he eagerly waited for Tamma to issue the next command. "Even Lug is happy to be out of there!"

"Me too. I suppose a straight line down a hill is not as bad as a crooked trail through a thick forest."

"We won't get there any sooner by talking about it, either." Tamma continued forward, stretching her arms above her head. Lug followed behind her with an agape mouth, panting out of both happiness and exhaustion. The wagon attached to him shook as the wheels went over the uneven, rocky ground. Miwah stayed close behind, staring at the boats moving in and out of the town's harbor. Once they were halfway towards town, the small objects in the distance became clearer; docks were crowded, filled with people moving across the wooden piers, both on and off the parked ships as well as from building to building.

"Farrowport looks busy," the seamstress remarked as she continued to gaze down at the dock. The march continued with Tamma staying at a steady pace as she led the progression to town. 

"It is. Lots of trade. That means a lot of people coming in and out. But the number of people that actually live here is surprisingly little when compared to how many that just pass through or stay here temporarily. That's why most of the buildings are inns intended for short stays."

"Where do you live?"

"Towards the center of town. A lot of the people like to call the area Commoner's Alley. The name just stuck around because all of the foreigners and upper-class folks used it so much. But it's a small section where a lot of the merchants call home. Along with those that can't afford to leave Farrowport and are stranded here."

"Stranded?" 

"Yep. Sometimes things don't pan out for some people. They come here thinking they’ll make it big with some trades and they end up losing everything because of some bad business decisions. Or more likely, they lose everything in a risky bet. Lots of illegal gambling is done here since we're so far away from Remcroft's reach."

"I see."

"But those cases are few and far between. Most of the ones that are stuck in Commoner's Alley have spent too much time at the bottom of a barrel of ale and their minds aren't in the best of shape."

"What a shame," Miwah said softly. 

"Don't worry, it's not any worse than what you would find in any other Remcroft town. Those with money like to keep away from the typical civilians if they can. While they live at the top floor of their inns with guards and employees to watch over them, we've got to be more careful." Tamma turned around and noticed that Miwah kept her head low and her arms crossed in front of her.

"Trust me Miwah when I say this." The seamstress angled her head up. She saw that Tamma had stopped walking to look at her. "You're smart. Anyone with a bit of common sense will do just fine here. Not to mention you've got... a secret weapon at your disposal." Tamma's eyes drifted towards where the diamond of Miwah's necklace was stashed away underneath her top. "My street smarts and your… hidden power will be more than enough to get by here."

"Thank you." Miwah took in a deep breath and stared at Farrowport once more. "But there is a feeling that is bothering me that I do not think I will be able to get rid of anytime soon."

"Homesickness?"

"Yes." Miwah shut her eyes and a tear slipped through. "I... I think it is starting to sink in. My family. My home." She pressed one hand against her eye, sucking in a deep breath. "All gone."

The hunter walked over and put one hand on Miwah's arm. She continued to bury her face into her hands, trying to stifle the sound of her sobs. "I wish I could say that everything is going to be all right. But that won't do you any good. The best I can do is try to make you as comfortable as possible for the time-being. I'd rather you be grieving with a full stomach and a fresh set of clothes than have you miserable the way you are right now."

"I know, I know. Again, I thank you." Miwah breathed in again through her mouth and let out a rush of air through her nostrils. "Farrowport is just a few steps away. I will make sure to keep my composure for a bit longer."

"Exactly. Once we get to my place, you can let all your emotions out. But for now, I think it'd be best for you to stay as calm as possible. We don't want people think you're a weakling. A lot of people here will prey on those that they think they can take advantage of. And a small, sobbing girl like you will be a prime target."

Miwah took the sleeve of her robe and wiped away the tears from her eyes. "Apologies."

"No need to be sorry. Just keep that same attitude you had when you took on that grizlewulf and you'll be just fine."

Miwah stood up straight. Tamma gave her a pat on the back before walking in front of Lug and the wagon. "We'll be heading to the bathhouse first. A quick rinse and a wash of clothes should help to take your mind off everything that's been going on with you."

"I like that idea. I think the realization of how filthy I am right now has just set in." Miwah pinched the fabric of her top and puckered her face when she saw the dirt and grass that covered its trim. 

"And I'll spring for the warm bath for you this one time. It’ll cost a few more coins but the steam can do you wonders when you've been crying and sniffling." Tamma pointed towards Farrowport. Miwah's eyes followed the direction that she was pointing in but couldn't make out a specific building. "That's it! Right over there. You can even see it if you squint hard enough."

"The one with smoke coming out of it?" Miwah pointed at the building she assumed to be the bath house.

"Yeah. Well, not that one. The other one. That also has steam coming out of it." 

"That one?" Miwah asked she pointed to a separate building.

"Ah, forget it. I'll just take you there."

4