Chapter 16: To the Bathhouse
99 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The short trip to the edge of Farrowport went uninterrupted. Miwah, Tamma and Lug all entered through the tall patch of grass that separated from the town from the large field outside of it. They stepped foot into a back alley behind a long row of brick buildings. Puddles filled the dips and uneven sections of the jagged walkway. With the spaces between the structures being so narrow, the three formed a single file line with Tamma in front with Miwah and Lug trailing behind. As they got closer to the core of Farrowport, the musings of its populace became louder.

"Now stay close to me," Tamma said after she turned around towards Miwah. "I don't want you getting lost."

Miwah nodded her head. "Understood." Further along the alley, people were travelling through the town's intersection. Tamma stepped out first with Miwah following directly behind her. Her eyes grew as she panned the area slowly, taking in the sights from left to right. The populace was diverse in regards to shape, size and color. It was clear what most of the pedestrians did and where they were from by the clothing they wore. None of them paid any mind to the two women that stood at the edge of the alley; all were too engulfed in their lives to take notice.

"The bath house is just on the other side." Tamma stood on the balls of her feet and put one hand above her head to block out the glaring sunlight from above. She pointed with her other hand towards a rising cloud of glass that poured out from the roof. "Now do you see where I'm pointing?"

Miwah squinted her eyes. "Yes! Now I see it!"

"Good. Now you know which direction to head in." Tamma stretched her arms above her head and straightened her back before yawning deeply. "Let's go over there quick. We'll miss prime market hours if we stay there too long." Tamma whistled and began walking with Lug eagerly trailing behind. Miwah continued next to her and kept close. The hunter led them in a straight line at a steady pace, weaving in and out of the narrower parts of the crowd.

As she stayed close, Miwah's eyes drifted towards her left. Amidst the citizens and visitors stood a large stone fountain. Its structure was abstract, consisting mostly of sharply angled stones resting on top of each other with small stone dishes scattered across it. The crashing of water as it poured out of the large mouth of the stone pillar in the center overcame the mumblings of the surrounding citizens.

"Miwah!" The seamstress turned her head in the direction from where she heard her name. Tamma stood in the middle of a swathe of people, completely still as others moved past her. The hunter waved her hand, urging her to follow through. Miwah dashed forward and caught up.

"Come on lass! I'll show you around Farrowport later." Tamma turned her head and gestured at the building just a few steps ahead with her thumb. "But let's freshen up a bit for now."

"I'm sorry," Miwah said with a hint of embarrassment. "I have never been in such a big town before."

Tamma let a hearty laugh escape. "You think Farrowport is big? It's busy, that's for sure. But it's far from what I'd consider ‘big.’ Especially when you compare it to some of the more populated areas under Remcroft's jurisdiction."

"I never left my village of Taipen. Everywhere seems big."

Tamma nodded. "Ah, that explains it. Then I'm guessing you've never seen a bath house with three stories before."

The seamstress tilted her head back, eyeing the height building. The windows were obscured by a fog steam, but silhouettes of people moved through them. The foundation was old yet firm; its age shown through the faded bricks that formed the outer walls. A long set of white stairs led up to a pair of massive wooden swing doors. A freshly cleaned couple walked down the steps, both wearing a satisfied smile and carrying sacks over their shoulder while wearing matching crisp white linens and trousers. 

Tamma pulled out a pouch from underneath her cloak. She opened it up and shifted through its contents before giving Miwah a few silver coins. "We'll have to go in one at a time. One of us has to stay behind and watch Lug and the wagon. You can go first."

"By myself?" Miwah said, lifting her eyes from the coins to face Tamma. "I have never been inside a bathhouse."

"Don't stress it, Miwah. It's a straightforward affair. Just hand the clerk at the front the coins. They'll direct you to a room. You bathe. Clean your clothes while you're in there. Simple."

"I can handle that."

"Oh, and another important thing." Tamma leaned in towards Miwah's ear. "If anyone offers you to go to one of the upper floors... just don't. That's reserved for more intimate affairs."

Miwah nodded slowly. "Very simple. Give the money to the clerk and go straight to the room. Avoid the upper floors. I think I got it."

Tamma patted her on the back. "You’re a clever lass! I knew you'd get it!"

The seamstress took out the small pouch she had secured onto her skirt before handing it over to Tamma. "Would you be willing to place this in the wagon? And watch it close?"

"Of course!" 

"And one more thing." Miwah began to pull off her necklace. 

"Cover that up," Tamma whispered as she hovered her hand over the diamond of the necklace. "You don't know who's watching! A pretty little piece like that is bound to get some eyes on it."

"Apologies." Miwah quickly removed her Beacon and wadded up the chain so it fit inside her hands. Tamma kept an eye on the passing citizens, taking hold of the necklace without losing tabs on any suspicious individuals. With the necklace in her possession, she tucked it inside Miwah's pouch without looking at it. She secured the strings with a short tug and headed towards the wagon. 

"Go ahead and take your bath. I'll make sure these stay safe," Tamma winked before putting the pouch with the rest of her items in her cart. 

After a short bow, Miwah headed to the bathhouse alone. She pulled open the door with a drawn-out creak. As she stepped inside, a rush of warm and moist air blew her hair back. She winced as the scent of flowers went through her nostrils. Miwah waved her hand in front of her nose to diffuse the intense aroma. The building was dimly lit by candles spaced out sparsely along the walls but gave enough illumination to view the customers dressed only in towels move between rooms. Their hair was wet but long smiles lingered on their faces as they traversed through the bathhouse’s rooms.

She turned towards the counter, clutching the coins that Tamma had given her tightly. The man behind the counter looked small and timid despite his middle-aged appearance. He lifted his eyes from the book he was reading to look at Miwah. "How can I help you today?" he asked in a low tone.

"I am here for a quick bath," she replied in an equally soft voice. 

"All right then. And I assume you have the funds for it?" the man asked. He lowered his book onto the counter, making sure to keep one hand on the page that he had been reading.

Miwah outstretched her open palm and showed off the handful of large silver coins. The clerk adjusted his glasses as he gazed at the money. He took one of them and scrutinized it under the faint glow of the bath house's lighting. "Paying for the short session I see,” he replied condescendingly.

"Yes."

The man took out the rest of coins from Miwah’s hand and placed it underneath the counter. "Your bath is number four. It's the door towards the center. You've got fifteen minutes." He returned to his book, paying Miwah no mind. With her money gone, she headed towards the instructed door. The further she moved towards her assigned door, the hotter the area became. The steam from the baths went through her nostrils, sending a relaxing sensation through her body. 

She opened the door to her bath, letting a rush of steam escape into the main room. Once the gas cleared up, a slim bath was beyond the wooden floor. The water was crystal clear, giving her a view of the stone bottom. Miwah stepped inside and closed the door behind her. Her shoes came off first, making her sigh with relief as the warmth of the floor travelled up the bottom of her feet and throughout the rest of her body.

"I have a feeling I will be visiting here a lot," she said to herself. Miwah dipped one foot inside, smiling as the hot water tingled her skin. "Ah, I certainly will."

4