Chapter 21 – Magnus and the curse mark part 5
67 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The ingredient Black Root comes from the plant "Black Root", which is a plant native to the broken isles. directly south to the region where it grows both outdoors and in caves. If threatened the Black Root will attack if you approach too close even if you are invisible. They attack if the Alchemist is carrying varieties of harvesting tools. They are found as upright plants outside, but in caves, they are found placed upside down, i.e. They hang from the ceiling of the caves. In that, they hang over the edge of a rock or ledge, instead of just hanging straight down.

 

Normally Black Root plants are not found in the Herana mainland region, however; smugglers managed to spread in some areas of Ascion, Amanstan, and Krieg. Even though they are an invasive species the Black Root plants remain present and can be harvested because of its useful properties. As ingredients, they are very effective to produce multiple-effect poisons with the vaporous stick, as they both begin with damage health and damage mana. Alchemists may want to ensure to bring a buckler, or anything to block its whip. A decent quality of steel armor as they hit harder than iron-sword.

 

If the Alchemist wants the damage over time effect, to the weapon. Alchemists must ensure that seventy percent Black Root plus other ingredients, like Vaporous Stick, then add slime liquid to make a gooey substance.

Rey was still at the range practicing his defense field, he wasn't still fast enough to raise his field realizing this as he lost to Ezekill. Facing a real fighter was another level than fighting bandits, goblins, and other monstrosities. A horde of goblins with a shaman was a tougher fight but facing him was the toughest, he didn't expect to be killed instantly if it was a real fight then his life ended there.

 

Ezekill had poked his ego, his pride he broke his delusion of being strong. He should have checked his stats first before provoking him. But thanks to that he realized, ostensibly he was sent here to face the reality that there's always a bigger fish and not only to learn. Clever grandfather as always. He wanted to be like his grandfather, strong, smart, and a leader. Him, having the stats weren't enough to be strong, Ezekill faced more danger than him, even before the match started, Ezekill already planned every move. His grandfather was sending him to Magnus for him to face a more experienced fighter.

 

Neglecting the field was a mistake, his instructor told him so but he didn't listen. The Instructor probably told his grandfather of his stubbornness of practicing his field, so that's why he was sent here, based on his arrogance he would assert himself as the tough dude as expected. Magnus had a lot of talented fighters, he would face fighters stronger than him sooner rather than later. It was the plan.

 

And part of the plan was to make his sister help him.

 

Footsteps tapped on the dirt floor approached Rey from behind, while he was practicing his defense field. He circled and faced Rey.

 

“Rey, grandfather sent a letter and he told me to help you with your training. He told me to keep checking the training grounds. If I saw you it meant that your ass got kicked. You probably thought grandfather sent you here to this university because you’re such a prodigal genius but it was to teach your ass a lesson.” The blue-eyed blonde person smirked.

 

“So who kicked your arrogant ass huh?” She giggled.

 

“Tsk, Yonnah my esteemed big sister.”

 

“From the looks of it, you can deploy your defense field a bit faster than the last time I saw you.” Yonnah said.

 

“Why are you here,” Rey sighed.

 

“Wow, you ignored my four sentences of explanation?” Yonnah said.

 

“Just get into it, Yonnah.” Rey replied.

 

“Father told me to train you,” Yonnah said.

 

“You? Training me?”

 

“Yes, it's the last favor of our grandfather; then I'm completely out of the family business. So let's get going so family matters won't bother me and my research again.”

 

“You know that our country needs every mage that it can muster, right? Why do you value your research more than your fatherland?”

 

“I told you, and everyone that I don't care.”

 

“A war is about to ensue and the empire needs a strong mage like you, sister.”

 

Yonnah sighed, and cast a magic circle, she blasted Rey with an electric ball that left sparkles as it traveled towards Rey. Rey raised the flame to make a static flame ward to block off her lightning ball.

 

“Just shut up Rey, just tell me what you want to improve, and don't call me a mage because I'm not.”

 

“Wait, no let me guess, your defensive field is what you're trying to improve. You were pretty shit about it, I remember you saying it doesn’t matter since you’re already protected by the soldiers who're in front of you. I guess you changed your mind,” she said.

 

Rey ticked his tongue in annoyance but she was right, it was foolish of him not to improve it.

 

“Drop your defense field, and show me again,” Yonnah said.

 

Rey redid his burning field. Yonnah wasn’t impressed; it took him ten seconds to cast his defensive field.

She grinned, “Maybe I could use you.”

“Yup, it’s decided you’re my pig fodder instead of improving the casting time, instead we use our time to make you mobile.”

 

“Did you just call me pig fodder?” Rey's forehead furrowed like a mad dog.

 

“Yup, before you go barking, watch this,” Yonnah said.

 

Yonnah clasped her hands together, her magic circle constructed below her feet and zipped upwards like a scanner. She started to spark, her body was full of electricity, her skin was glowing blue with few sparks erupting from her skin.

 

Rey ticked his tongue again in annoyance.

 

“Mana Skin, my research was actually completed but when the soldier tried it they exploded. I just need some people who succeed at controlling it. Ah, don’t worry they just got burned and did not die.” Yonnah smirked, her arrogance ran from her family.

 

“But they rejected it because it was unstable, I said they’re just too dumb on controlling it. They said I was just a genius and everyone is not like me but I didn’t think of that. Everyone learned how to construct a magic circle and discarded chanting. My work was perfect. I succeeded in modifying the framework of the magic circle itself. Also, my research was supposed to replace the sitting duck type of defensive field. Especially my brother who sucks at it.” Yonnah said.

 

“You said why I love my research the most? It’s because it improved our fragile lives, the defensive field relied on one’s Arcane Core. Someone with normal Arcane Core wouldn’t stand a chance against knights who had aura even White stage level five. Also, it’s not unbreakable if the field is penetrated, they die so I swear to improve that.” Yonnah added.

 

“Then you could have continued your research in the Empire,” Rey said.

 

“No, I want everyone to benefit from my research. The Emperor would keep it for his Empire. I also hate how they handle things. Let’s stop chatting okay?” Yonnah said.

 

“Then those lesser races would steal your research!” Rey howled.

 

“Lesser race? Wow, what are they feeding you, Rey?” Yonnah frowned.

 

“Our beloved God Herana favors us, the superior humans, sharing such superior knowledge, big sister is a mistake.”

 

“Why do you think we're superior, Rey?” She frowned again.

 

“Two living heroes are humans, Arthur Pendragon. You sister, a human, the greatest researcher. You're about to change the world.” Rey said.

 

“Argh, I lost the energy to argue with you. Just take this,” Yonnah sighed as she took out a codex that was inside her lab coat.

 

Rey received it with his hands along with the keys, he felt strong mana coming from the codex. The book had a strong strap that locked it, preventing it from being opened.

 

“Try to read it, tell me if there's a reaction,” Yonnah said.

 

Rey nodded, he unlocked the book and opened it. It had magic circles drawn on it, the magic circle inside didn't react, unfortunately, it stood still. 

 

“It didn't react,”Rey said.

 

“Jeez I'm not surprised, I'll just do what I did to the other pig fodders. Cast your burning field little brother, I'll just modify it directly,” she said.

 

“Also, the way your defense field works would be changed forever but if you managed to control it. You'll be a lot stronger. For now, I'll modify the casting time, and increase the damage dealt with fire.” Yonnah said.

 

She took out her magic tools, it looked like black leather gloves with metallic lines on the five fingers towards the socket at the center connecting it. And next, she took a pen-like magic tool, it had some kind of cube shape attached at the opposite side of the pen-like magic tool. Lastly, a blank white mask capable of seeing the structure of magic.

Elizabeth screamed, “What the hell is this! This is boring as hell! Fight me dark elf! If you don’t want to, then call the old man!”

 

“Elizabeth calm down, you’re making Helseth mad, she’s going to eat us, please stop.” the browned-haired dwarf said.

 

“You’re such a coward rudent, no you’re a coward rudent not a dwarf, Mjolnir.” Elizabeth hissed.

 

“You’re such a meanie Elizabeth,” Mjolnir pouted.

 

Helseth held her annoyance, her arrogant attitude made her boil just because she won against her.

 

“Oi! Helseth! I don’t want to modify my magic! It’s already perfect! Let’s fight instead,” Elizabeth screamed again.

 

The dwarf's patience had reached its limit. He challenged Elizabeth's arrogance.

 

“You want a fight?” The other dwarf said.

 

“You humans keep doing what you want, in here we’re all equal I bet you’re not that strong, don’t be mistaken you can’t use your human privilege here!”

 

“Ainmhín scagach!” he screamed in dwarf language.

 

Elizabeth didn’t understand a single shit he yapped, but she smiled as she was challenged. She took her knuckles, and forward her hand, curled her fingers toward the palm. The dwarf snapped at her arrogance. He touched the ground and a dirt-like hand erected and targeted Elizabeth. Elizabeth punched the shit out of the earthen grasp with full body motion.

 

“So weak, Ezekill is a lot better.” Elizabeth sighed.

 

Helseth yelled to halt them, as the duel wasn't sanctioned. Helseth warned them not to do it again or she'll send them to the disciplinary room. Everyone shivered in fear as Helseth roared, dark elfs are notorious everyone in the class knew not to fuck with a dark elf, except for Elizabeth.

 

“Hmmph! Thanks for ruining the fun dark elf.” Elizabeth said.

 

Twenty minutes later, inside the library Ezekill was approached by a mage in black clothes and a black robe. He gazed at Ezekill as he turn the pages, Ezekill looked up when he saw the mage.

 

“Headmaster Elena Celestria called for you, you need to come to the office.” The mage said.

 

“Why? Does she need something from me?” Ezekill replied while flipping the paper pages of the book.

 

“You need to come with me to the office, no question asked.” The mage said.

 

“Fine, let me finish first,” Ezekill said.

 

The mage complied and stood in front of him for another ten minutes. Ezekill felt uncomfortable, the mage was patient enough to just stand there and wait. Ezekill felt bad for the ten minutes he’s been standing as he didn’t offer him a seat, Ezekill thought the mage would automatically sit there but he didn’t. Ezekill stopped because it got too awkward for him, and closed the book he got up.

 

“Please stand next to me,” The mage asked.

 

Ezekill complied and stood next to him. The mage reached out a scroll inside his robes, he took it and unraveled it. It had a magic circle drawn inside the scroll, it flashed. The magic circle was constructed on the granite floor and they blinked out of existence.

Light flashed into his eyes and he felt a slight discomfort from the sudden flash. He heard a familiar voice. The mage bowed to Elena, and she nodded in response the mage strolled to leave both of them.

 

“So explain yourself, Ez dear.”

 

“Explain? What?” Ezekill was confused. A blank look, a slack expression can be seen on him.

 

“Why did you attack the head librarian?” Elena said.

 

“I thought you had eyes on me,” Ezekill replied.

 

“Don’t answer that question, I apologize for my actions Elena, I was surprised and jumped to a conclusion. I thought I was gonna get killed when I saw Darby.” Ezekill lowered his head.

 

I guess my punishment is coming up next. He thought, accepting the consequences.

 

“I see next time use your capable head. I’ll give you a warning even though you're my apprentice. I’m still the headmaster of this branch.” Elena sighed.

 

Ezekill was dazed; he thought that Elena was going to punish him because she had her mage come to the library to call him.

 

“What’s with that face? Aren’t you glad you got away that easily?” Elena said.

 

“Thank you, Ms.Elena.” Ezekill bowed his head, he sighed secretly. The guilt lingered inside of him.

 

“May I ask, since when I became your apprentice?” Ezekill added.

 

“Since you signed the contract. On the contracts, you’re under me now, but things are a bit chaotic inside Magnus. So officially not yet, I haven’t worked on the paperwork to make the documents, certificate. I wish I could get this done sooner, I have things in store for you.” She smiled.

 

“You can stay here, relax and skip class. If you want.” Elena said.

 

“No, I have to go, I don’t want to fail.” Ezekill rejected her offer.

 

Elena sighed, she was bored with towering documents, papers, scrolls on her desk. She wanted a reason to slack off but her alibi denied her that. Ezekill saw her disappointment, Ezekill was confused, shouldn’t she be proud of her apprentice who’s a proper student. 

 

Her face made Ezekill hesitate to go to the door, he was standing still until Elena waved her hand and she let out a sigh again. Ezekill got a go signal, he bowed his head before heading through the door. He jerked it open and the door squeaked as it opened.

 

Ezekill inhaled, and exhaled as he moved on to his next class, he looked left and right there were no other students but him.

 

 Professors in professional attire walked in and out of the hall carrying their tools, books, and different kinds of teaching materials. Some of them used magic to carry heavy objects, like making them weightless or making them float.

He walked the halls, passing different faculties. Ezekill greets the Professor who he passed by.

 

He saw Uno coming up the stairs, and Professor Uno greeted Ezekill with a smile. It looked like he wanted to converse with him but he didn’t have the time, so he got through the hall and walked away from Ezekill. Ezekill walked downstairs, Ezekill arrived on the fourth floor then he continued downwards until he entered the second floor.  

 

2nd-floor A-A, he thought as he checked his paper.

 

It didn’t take any effort because the classroom was near the stairs on the left side. Ezekill got in by opening the door and closing it after. 

 

Ezekill sat in front waiting with his classmates that were sitting behind him. It seemed that only a few people wanted to learn arithmetics as the room was only half full, Ezekill could relate the pain learning numbers then suddenly involving letters. 

 

But it was important to him, in his previous life small miscalculations could cause incidents ranging from burning to explosions. It was a pain but he had his fun. 

 

Not all of the students in Magnus wanted to become overpowered magic casters, some of them wanted to become mathematicians, or something related to the pain in the ass class but satisfying reward.

 

Ezekill giggled, he remembered something, in his previous life he met a professor who dedicated his life to the most dangerous problem in mathematics.

 

The problem was that his predecessors who tackled the problem completely wasted their time on such unsolvable math. It had two rules: if the number was odd, you multiply by three and add one. If the number was even you divide by two. They called it infinite loop one because no matter how you try, you always end up with one.

Yeah, I wonder if that guy gave up by now. He thought of the nostalgia, the guy was the best student in his class then he challenged himself to prove that he’s the best in the world. Ezekill sometimes asked him for help.

 

[Congratulations! you earned 5LP!]

 

The door creak as it opened, the Professor turned up.

 

“My name is Lancelot Wulf, I’ll be teaching this class álgevra.” He said.

 

“What is ‘álgevra’?” He asked the class as he wrote something on the board.

 

“Álgevra is a branch of mathematics that deals with symbols and the arithmetic operations across these symbols.” He pointed to the board.

 

Is this Algebra? He thought.

 

The professor taught the class about variables, coefficients, operators, etcetera. Ezekill took his notes and wrote them down even though he knew. This was high school level math and as a college student in his previous life, it was quite simple for Ezekill.

 

The class goes on, it was extremely ordinary and uneventful.

5