Chapter 23 – Magnus and the curse mark part 7
41 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ezekill laid on the floor, he didn’t see that coming. A return damage magic, first time he saw being used in this world. Ezekill, staring at the clouds above, felt that he shouldn’t have underestimated Rey. He was eighth tier Mage afterall.

 

Rey huffed, he won if Ezekill was being cautious he would be able to dodge the rebuke. It was the right call to use it as a finisher, it cost a lot of mana. He would lose that match if he noticed the magic.

 

“Ha! I won!” Rey roared in victory.

 

“Yeah, I lost that one.” Ezekill said.

 

“Alright, Ezekill. Take this book.”

 

Ezekill took the book. He was told to read the contents of the book, he did what Yonnah instructed. Yonnah unlocked the book for him.

 

Ezekill read and touched the contents of the codex. It suddenly got animated, it rotated clockwise, it glowed as Ezekill touched the drawn magic circle inside the paper. His circuits instinctively poured mana into the circle. The magic circle rushed towards Ezekill, he felt a sensation of electricity rushing through the circuits. Zooming from his arms then to the head, until it ran below his feet.

 

His skin was glowing blue with few sparks flickered from within. Ezekill felt a raging storm inside of him. His body felt alive feeling the mana of tempest.

 

“Hmmm, I didn't think you would be able to learn my magic.” Yonnah said.

 

[You have learned Lightning Skin]

[You gain Lightning Affinity]

 

[Buff activated: Increased Lightning damage 30% Increased movement speed by 10% Damage recognized enemy by 5HP per seconds, and 5MP per seconds. Duration 180s]

 

I haven't learned a new affinity for awhile. Ezekill thought.

 

“So do you want to modify it? A bit of warning though you might explode.” Yonnah said.

 

“Well my kit is leaning towards speed build now.” Ezekill said.

 

“I guess you could bump up the speed increase? Wait, let me think. I don't want to overkill my speed.” Ezekill added.

 

Ezekill thought it over, rubbing his jaws. Sparks of electricity covered his body.

 

I can do a short burst, capable of reaching Mach two. In exchange for sixty percent of my mana, and two hundred spirits, that would also eliminate the use of my strongest magic. I need a buff that would last in longer fights, without costing me too much. He thought.

 

“Alright, do it bump the speed buff to thirty.” Ezekill decided.

 

“This would decrease the duration, my estimation would be thirty seconds, since you have a great control with your magic. I won’t mess with modifying the duration since I don’t know the condition of your body. Just train, you’ll naturally increase the duration.” Yonnah said.

 

“So uh, we do it here?” Ezekill said.

 

“Yes, we do it here, take off your upper clothes now.” Yonnah said.

 

“W-what! Why?” Ezekill said flustered.

 

“My method is similar to Arcane surgery, you need to take your clothes off.”

 

“Oh,” he said in relief.

 

“By the light, I’m not into children!” Yonnah shouted, putting her palm to her face.

 

“Okay then, s-sorry.” Ezekill proceeded to remove his clothes, unbuckling the robes, and so on.

 

Yonnah took her magic tools, Ezekill was instructed to use Lightning Skin again, as it expired. Ezekill constructed a magic circle recasting Lightning skin. She proceeded to the modification process of the magic.

 

“Woah damn, you trained hard kid.” Svetlana was impressed with his chiseled body.

 

Ezekill felt embarrassed, somehow he felt violated.

 

Yonnah first searched, and identified the information of the same magic using the identifier gloves. The framework of magic can be compared to a source code. Then used her magic tool pen to rewrite the framework of the magic itself. The mask made her able to see the traces of mana, and how it constructed itself when a person cast magic.

 

When a mage cast magic they used the Magic Theory guide. When a mage intended to cast fire bolts the magic theory would automatically construct the incantation, the framework of the mana of the fire bolt, and prepare the gateway to manifest the magic. 

 

She increased the speed variable that data stored inside the framework. She double checked the modified data so she wouldn’t cause a ‘bug’ a misspelled word would be disastrous. As soon as she was sure, she moved on to the next. She modified the damage within range to ten per second. And Increased the radius to five metre.

 

“Done,” Yonnah took off her mask.

 

“I can run as fast as a human peak with my bare stats, with Lightning skin. I can clock my speed to one hundred gammametre per hour for the duration of the buffs.” Ezekill murmured.

 

“Not yet, the modification will apply on the next cast.” Yonnah said.

 

Ezekill and Yonnah waited for the buff to expire, then rebuffed himself again.

 

“So how do you feel?” Yonnah said.

 

Ezekill’s body awakened with bursting energy like a tempest. Ezekill's speed increased, mana became a storm inside of him. It stimulated his senses, electricity running around his body.

 

[Buff activated: Increased Lightning damage 30% Increased movement speed by 30% Damage recognized enemy by 10HP per seconds, and 5MP per seconds within 5 metres. Duration 60s]

Ezekill kneeled, readed like an olympic runner. He ran faster than the fastest animal in Herana without the aid of his velocity manipulation and boost aura. He rounded the plain so quickly it left dust in the dry air.

 

“You said thirty seconds, it lasts double of your estimation.” Ezekill said.

 

“What? Damn, you’re the second one I know who had great control of his own magic.” Yonnah said.

 

“What! How is that possible! I can only keep my burning cloak for forty five seconds!” Rey finally yapped after being silent for a while.

 

“You really like being deaf Rey,” Yonnah sighed at his envious brother.

 

“So who’s the first one? The person who had great control?” Ezekill asked out of curiosity, expecting someone like Elena.

 

“Me.” Yonnah smirked at her own compliment.

 

Ezekill squinted, she’s full of herself like her brother, I guess superiority complex ran in their family. But he was thankful, without her, he wouldn’t know magic buffing exists. He’d do some experiments if time permitted him.

 

Ezekill asked to learn Lightning magic since he had no magic to take advantage of the buff. Yonnah gave her codex again, Ezekill took it. It had the same animation, and effect as before.

 

[You learned Lightning Lance]

[You learned Lightning Bolt]

[You learned Lightning]

[You learned Shock]

[You learned Chain lightning]

 

“I’ll be damned, sixth tier magic on lightning affinity. I'm wondering if you could learn my ninth tier magic. ” Yonnah said.

 

“Thank you, Ms.Yonnah.” Ezekill bowed his head.

 

“It was the deal we made,” Yonnah said.

 

“This makes you the second person who possesses Mana Skin that has no problem on controlling.” Yonnah added.

 

Ezekill dressed himself up, he bowed to them before leaving but Svetlana circled to face him.

 

“My name is Svetlana Arsenyev; I wanted to spar with you but you looked exhausted. So what's your full name?” Svetlana stretched out her hands.

 

“Ezekill Raylight,” he reached her hands to shake it. Her hands were rough, and hard. She had a scar on her forefingers. Definitely not a princess's hands.

 

“Next time, we should spar until then get stronger.” She smiled.

 

Ezekill nodded, and continued to walk towards the path of the tower. Ezekill yawned, the sun was slowly going down, the red crown of rays waving goodbye as the sun approached the twilight night.

 

Ezekill reached the gate, the mages who were on guard duty welcomed him. He approached the tower's door, the guard opened it as he got inside he slowly closed the door.

 

Only a few people walked in the main hall of the tower, Ezekill thought that it was closing time. Ezekill approached the teleporter pad, the mage who operated it asked what floor. Ezekill replied that he was going to the headmaster's floor. He nodded and operated it.

 

Ezekill zoomed upwards, he swallowed as he felt he wanted to vomit. He took the medicine and immediately sniffed it after arriving at the top of the tower. This elevator was so extreme, Ezekill thought.

 

Ezekill saw Yui, he gazed into her mesmerizing beauty. She was waiting for him, she smiled upon Ezekill as the beautiful abyss stared back at him.

 

“Welcome back, Ezekill.” Yui closed her eyes as she smiled.

 

“Uhm, I’m home Yui.” Ezekill scratched his head, as he admired her beauty. She’s truly the epitome of wife material.

 

“Do you want a warm bath, or something to eat?” Yui asked.

 

“I kinda want both,” Ezekill replied.

 

“I already prepared the bath, do you want anything in particular?” Yui asked.

 

“I want Yui, haha just kidding uh anything I guess.” Ezekill replied.

 

She giggled at his little joke, sometimes jokes are half meant.

 

“I’ll get going now, I feel so sticky, I want to clean myself.” Ezekill said.

 

She smiled and bowed her head as she went to the kitchen.

 

Ezekill ambled towards their room, he got inside and stripped off his uniform.

 

He twisted the knob, Ezekill was amazed on how Yui knew that he's coming back. The bathtub was full, he didn't need to wait. He put himself inside the warm bath, it brought a temporary lull. He let out a relaxed sound, and immediately fell asleep.

 

Yui knocked on the door, she waited for him to respond. Ten minutes later Ezekill didn't respond, she jerked the door open and saw him sleeping.

 

Yui walked towards him, “Ezekill, dinner is ready.”

 

She hung the towel, and she got near Ezekill. She caressed his head, to make him awake. Ezekill noticed her sweet gentle whisper telling him to wake up, since it's not good to sleep inside the tub.

 

“Hello Yui, how long have you been there?” Ezekill yawned.

 

“Just now stand up, it's not good to sleep here.” Yui said.

 

“Okay,” Ezekill accepted her demand.

 

Ezekill stood up and removed himself from the bathtub, Yui took the towel and dried his back.

 

Ezekill took it, and continued to dry up.

 

Ezekill dressed up, and ate with Yui.

 

”So how's school?” Yui asked.

 

“A bit of a mix bag, but it's good I guess.” Ezekill munched on his food.

 

A few moments later, she offered her lap. She noticed that Ezekill was tired, and gave him a few moments of paradise. She caressed and sang a lullaby. Dark ceiling, warm thighs, soothing hymn; Ezekill couldn't ask for more, this brought him a temporary serenity, soon after both of them fell asleep while Ezekill's head was on her lap.

 

Ezekill groaned as he woke up in the middle of the night, he yawned and snorted, and pinched his nose as he sat. He took a magic tool lamp, he took the mana stone and put it on the socket. It glowed immediately as soon as it was placed, he checked the table for food he took off the glass container. Then walked towards his bag that sheltered the gift Yui gave.

 

He took the leather bound book, and sat on the table. He read the contents of the book while eating. Ezekill hoped that the book would react to him, there were different kinds of magic, not even one animated, nor glowed. He was disappointed. Ezekill had learned the lightning magic from the book that Ezekill borrowed. He was hoping that the same thing would happen.

 

Ezekill wondered how Yui even got her hands on this book. Another pointless thought, after a few minutes of rest. He got back to his bed, and slept.

 

“Oi, Ezekill, it's time to wake up.” She moved his body, trying to wake him up.

 

As the sunrise, he groaned, demanding five more minutes. She sighed, she leaned down, caressed his head and whispered.

 

“You're going to be late,” she said in a soft whisper.

 

Ezekill woke, and saw Yui sitting beside him. She smiled, “Good morning, Ezekill.”

 

“Good morning, Yui.” Ezekill replied as he sat next to her.

 

Ezekill prepared for school, he took a bath, changed his clothes, and told Yui goodbye as he left in a hurry. He didn't waste any time since he was late, he overslept.

 

As soon as Ezekill got out of the extreme 'elevator' he dashed quickly.

 

The ground wasn't crowded, it was a wrong decision to wake up in the middle of the night. “Dammit, it's because I got hungry. Now I lack sleep,” he murmured.

 

Sparks left on his trail, he used his new magic to rush towards the school. The mages who saw him yelled, as Ezekill zoom spooked the hell out of them. Also he made their hats fly above escaping their owner.

 

“Sorry! I'm in a hurry!” Ezekill shouted as he zoomed.

 

Ezekill got inside the main hall, then towards the classroom. He jerked open, the class was empty. He was confused no one was there, until he saw the board. 

 

Proceed to the gym. As it was written.

 

Ezekill immediately left, and rushed towards the gym. He cast bend light and slowly jerked the door, trying to stealth his way inside. He sneaked, and slowly peaked.

 

He didn't see Elena, and the Wizard Uno was there. He also noticed that the numbers had doubled, he sneaked his way in, and tapped Yvonne. She squealed like a little girl, it was kinda cute.

 

Everyone was alerted, Ezekill undid his Bend light. They saw him pop up behind Yvonne.

 

“Sneaking in using magic, clever.” Uno laughed.

 

“Sorry, I was late.”

 

“Ah, it's fine, for today's class Headmaster Elena requested to mix her own as she's away.”

 

“Ezekill, boy how's our school? Do you find it to your liking?” Uno smiled.

 

“Yes, thank you for giving me this opportunity,” Ezekill politely bowed.

 

“I'm glad to hear it,” Uno said.

 

“Now please continue practicing,” Uno said to the class.

 

“Jeez, Ezekill you spooked me,” Yvonne pouted.

 

“Sorry, Yvonne I was going to ask what's this all about but Uno already explained,” Ezekill apologized.

 

“Teacher! Spar is practicing right!?” Elizabeth shouted.

 

“Uh, Kind of, why?” Uno said.

 

“I want to spar with my rival!” Elizabeth pointed towards Ezekill.

 

“Ezekill, I challenge you again!” Rey said at the same time with Elizabeth.

 

“What!” insync voice roared.

 

What the hell, it's early in the morning. He thought.

 

“I go first!”

 

“No! Raylight will fight me!”

 

Uno watched in amusement, while rubbing his majestic wizardy beard.

 

“Fine, the one who wins will fight him!” Elizabeth said.

 

“Hah! You're just a little girl! How would you defeat me!?” Rey howled.

 

Early in the morning, chaos already ensued. Uno didn't do anything as he watched in amusement, he giggled.

 

“Hahaha I'll allow it, as per duel rules,” Uno laughed.

 

Uno's students sighed, and put a face “here we go again.”

 

Uno loved to watch mages fight, the way they utilized their magic.

 

I hope they get tired before they both come after me. He didn't want to deal with them.

 

Yvonne pulled down his uniform, “Uhm, do you remember… My request?”

 

“Uhuh I do, let's move here faraway to them,” Ezekill said.

 

Ezekill and Yvonne removed themselves from the crowd. While Roy was working hard with his magic, ignoring the chaos.

 

Yvonne tried to cast a firebolt but it failed. Ezekill noticed that she poured too much mana without even controlling it, from her crumpled face. If she kept it up, she would deplete her mana without casting a single magic.

 

He told her that magic doesn't work like that, if she did that without control the construction of her magic circle would be unstable. Ezekill taught her to do the same thing with healing but instead of healing, she would put an image of a flaming hot ball of rock.

 

Ezekill taught her how to feel the burn crawling inside of her. She forward her arm, she closed her eyes and imagined that she had a fire on her chest slowly swirling to her hands. Ezekill guiding her, holding her arm.

 

Magic circle was slowly constructed, clockwise intricate shapes, letters, had formed. Magic circle was complete, and stable. It took her three tries, and three seconds of casting time.

 

“Firebolt!” she shouted.

 

She blasted the wall, her mouth widened, she looked at him. She was happy to finally cast the destruction magic.

 

Save, he thought.

 

[Save success!]

 

Ezekill smiled, and wanted to experiment something. He deliberately broke his arm, by smashing his right hand with the Golden Gauntlet. He groaned, the pain made his face ugly but for his friend he's willing to help.

 

Yvonne was aghast, she yelled why did he break his own arm. Ezekill smiled and told her to calm down, and heal his arm.

 

Yvonne cast her healing magic, frowning and calling him an idiot. Ezekill asked about how her healing worked. 

 

She explained, by using her mana as the energy. She could concentrate her mana into the wounded area, boosting the healing speed.

 

Ezekill felt itchy, a bit of pain and hot indicating his body was repairing at a magical pace. Ezekill's hypothesis was confirmed.

 

Healing magic was repairing cells, also regenerating tissues as he recalled Yui can heal lost limbs.

 

His arm was repairing at surgical precision. This was cell manipulation.

 

Ezekill asked, instead of intending to repair the body. He asked to put an intent to kill or destroy. On his arm.

 

“What!? Why?? And also that's impossible!” Yvonne frowned.

 

“Just try it, modify it, instead of restoring. Intend to destroy my arm,” Ezekill said.

 

This is going to suck so bad, he thought.

 

Yvonne sighed, and commanded the cell to commit suicide by manipulating mana.

 

First, he was in immense pain, he felt an intense cramp, he clenched his jaw and held out his cry until Ezekill couldn't feel his arm anymore. Second, skin discoloration started then nerves cracked, enlarging his arm a balloon seconds later it exploded.  

 

Blood gushed out, Yvonne was in a state of shock. Blood on her face, on the floor, it splattered everywhere.

 

But this was a success, magic was a lot more powerful than he had expected. The pain was ignored, he was consumed by his experiment. He covered his face with his other arm, deep in thought. He snapped back hoping that Yvonne knew how to restore limb.

 

“Sorry, Yvonne, there's no other way to check if my hypothesis was right. But it seemed, I was. Uh can you restore my arm? I'm losing quite a lot of blood, I feel dizzy now.” He casually smiled at her, while his face was starting to get pale.

 

Yeah I'm probably seeing Herana. he thought.

 

She just froze, standing still in shock. Ezekill's world started to spin. He held his other arm on his head, blood flowed like a gallon of wasted ketchup.

 

“Uh Yvonne, I think I'm in trouble.” He let out an awkward laugh.

 

Uno saw what happened, and rushed towards them. The class also started to notice, Elizabeth and Rey stopped. Elizabeth ran, Rey stood in shock.

 

Ezekill fell, Uno jumped to catch him. He was still conscious the burning pain that he felt was slowly fading, along with his consciousness.

 

So this is what a slow bleeding to death felt like, ah shit I can't feel anything anymore. He thought.

 

Yvonne couldn't heal him, and Uno ripped his robe and demanded Elizabeth to help him. She lifted Ezekill's body and made him lean towards her chest. Uno wrapping the torn cloth on his wounds, in an effort to stop the bleeding.

 

“What the hell happened!?” Elizabeth choked back, eyes red.

 

“Yvonne! Get your shit together!” Elizabeth screamed.

 

Yvonne snapped on her scream, recalling the events she immediately healed him. Unfortunately she doesn't know how to restore limbs.

 

Yvonne sat, and used spare the dying making him stabilized, she then cast cure wounds.

 

A loud bang could be heard from the door, a woman with bloodied torn clothes on her right arm in a maid outfit scanned the gym, she had blood on her face. She rushed forward towards the crowd as soon as she saw him. Her hands covered her mouth as she gazed at Ezekill.

 

“I'm here Ezekill, please don't die.” Yui started to sob.

 

Yui took over the healing, she cast restore limbs and a green magic circle began to manifest. 

 

Uno removed the torn cloth, his arm glowed in green hue. It slowly grew as the tissues reconstructed with the aid of magic.

 

Few moments of healing, his right arm grew back. Yui hugged him, she didn't ask any questions, she was happy that she didn't arrive too late.

 

“So, dear what happened?” Uno asked Yvonne.

 

“We experimented with healing magic, he told me to do the opposite, I complied because I thought it wouldn't work,” Yvonne replied.

 

“His blood suddenly burst, it happened so fast. I-I f-froze up, and I couldn't think properly,” she stuttered.

 

Ezekill felt something very soft, and heard a quiet sobb. He opened his eyes, and gazed above, Yui was there.

 

Ezekill recalled the success of the experiment. He was locked in her arms, and he removed himself from Yui.

 

“Yui, why do you have blood all over your body?” Ezekill noticed.

 

“Ezekill!” she screamed in relief, and hugged him again.

 

I didn't die, he thought.

 

Ezekill stood up, while her worried eyes gazed at him.

 

“I'm fine now, oh my right arm is back.” Ezekill moved his newly restored arm.

 

Ezekill was bombarded with questions, he explained from top to bottom. It was an experiment and he was willing to use himself as a test subject rather than hurting some poor animals for the experiment.

 

Yui pinched his right side, she was mad this was too extreme she told him. He smiled at everyone, and told them it was worth it. He discovered something powerful about magic.

 

“You're quite dangerous, Ezekill,” Yvonne said.

 

“I never thought healing magic had such destructive power.” Yvonne added.

 

Uno was curious, so he asked Ezekill to demonstrate his discovery.

 

Ezekill nodded, but Yui stopped him as she was worried about him. He patted her head, and told her that he's fine no need to worry. She sighed, and after a few minutes of hesitation he let him be.

 

Ezekill cast an earth magic, stone bullet. He modified the atomic mass to gold then clenched his hand, and completely dissolved it.

 

Ezekill discovered that magic basically could do anything from manipulating the states of matter, creating and manipulating atoms, and even perhaps bending the four fundamental laws. The underlying problem was the mana cost.  

 

How did he forget such crucial info, he already did that when he was experimenting to cast Glass magic years ago. 

 

Because the way they understood the world was old and the way they’d taught, the mages of this world could cast mostly the main ‘elements’; Simplified everything to their understanding and why the mana cost was low. Their knowledge was the limitation, technically speaking. Everyone could cast different magics, perhaps gravity or space.

 

It explained how Elena was able to put down Arthur that could rip space apart. But it was instant he didn't see what actually happened.

 

Ezekill still didn't know everything, the thing that made it work was still unknown to him. He'll ask Yonnah since she was an expert in this field.

 

He then demonstrated the ionization of 'air' making plasma. Ezekill modified the temperature of the ‘air’ until it was incandescent state. The flame was orange in color then to white, then to blue, and violet. 

 

Ezekill then lowered the temperature until it was moist, then in a liquid state making water.

 

[You gained Air Affinity]

[You gained Plasma Affinity]

[You gained Fire Affinity]

[You gained Water Affinity]

He demonstrated another feat that no one could imagine, Uno's jaw dropped, Rey clenched his fist, everyone was astounded.

 

Ezekill explained that he's out of mana just by demonstrating, it was better to simplify than casting one time complicated magic.

 

4