Chapter 67: Siege of the Valley – Part 10
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 67

 

* Cirinian Valley *

Jandor was not a strategist.

He could come up with basic plans and motivate people to action, but he was more prone to jump into a given situation and brute force his way through any problems that came along. Plans and details were Becky’s domain, so without her, he was at a real deficit.

Fortunately for him, the raid on the main encampment required only the most basic strategy, and with Daniel, Lori, and the chiefs to help, things were going well, despite the slapdash nature of the battle plan.

Stephanie, Wheaton, and a few other summoners were perched in the trees, playing their various instruments to call forth hundreds of animals. Bears, wolves, leopards, jaguars, and various other wildcats encircled the encampment on all sides and formed groups to fight the creatures of the book of war, typically three to four animals for each monster so they could minimize the possibility of animals being killed.

Jandor was in his element, fighting alongside the animals, cutting down pogs with decisive strikes from his blade and beating a path through the seemingly endless onslaught of monsters. His speed and reflexes were to the point where even when faced with multiple foes, he was able to hold his own, and the animal’s provided protection for his blind spots, clawing, biting, and pouncing on the pig-faced creatures.

Though he was using his sword, he was not without the aid of the staff that was strapped to his back. He’d learned a new ability of the mysterious weapon. Anytime a pog managed to catch him off guard and attack from behind, a blue, semi-transparent aura would appear to block the strike. It was as if the bo staff was a sentient partner, protecting him in battle. With the animals and his staff to aid him, Jandor easily tore through the ranks of monsters.

April and the two security team members she brought with her were also in the fray, though they stayed along the edges of battle, only seeking to incapacitate the few soldiers among the horde of monsters. With the help of several large wildcats to protect them from the pogs, they managed to quickly round up the remaining troops in Calendon’s forces.

Meanwhile Kynobi and Lenora stood at the edge of the woods, watching the battleground with solemn looks on their faces.

“Do you see him anywhere?” Lenora asked anxiously.

Kynobi was once again observing through the eyes of his redwing companion. “Calendon is on the roof of the council building, and there are a dozen pogs in front of it. He appears to be observing, just as we are.”

“Let Jandor know. I will tell the others so that they can help him clear a path.” Lenora hesitated before leaving his side. “What of Chief Windborn?”

“I have not seen him, but I’m sure he’ll turn up,” Kynobi said placidly.

“I wonder if this is really a wise idea.”

Kynobi shrugged. “It’s what Chief Windborn wants; we have to at least try. If we can get Calendon to surrender or retreat, this will all end a lot quicker.”

Lenora nodded in agreement. “I just wish he wouldn’t do this alone.”

“He’s just trying to protect us all. Besides, he won’t be alone, Jandor and our animal allies will be with him.” Kynobi said. “We must trust that Windborn knows what he’s doing.”

  “Indeed. Well, let’s finish this then.” Lenora deftly leapt up a nearby tree to reach the other summoners.

Kynobi reached out to Jandor through the mentant realm. He knew that Jandor was not skilled in telepathic communication but would hear him all the same. <Your target is on top of council hall. The animals will make a path for you.>

Jandor needed no further bidding. He took off across the plains at top speed, headed straight for the council hall.

 

***

 

“Pathetic,” Calendon sneered as he watched from his perch on the council hall roof. “This was their grand plan, send a bunch of animals out to be slaughtered?”

He was talking to no one in particular. None of the soldiers he brought to the valley were with him. The whole thing was ridiculous to him, and he saw no point in engaging in the fight himself. Instead, he waited at the council hall, knowing that sooner or later his enemy would show themselves in an attempt to free the hostages.

As if to prove his point, forty jaguars slowly approached the group of pogs lined up in front of the hall. Though the animals didn’t move to attack, the pogs shifted restlessly.

Calendon didn’t care about the animals though. He’d spotted what he was looking for. Jandor was racing toward council hall and arrived just as the group of wildcats formed a semi-circle in front of the pogs.

“Finally, I thought you’d never arrive,” he said in a mock-bored tone.

“I’m not here to fight you, Calendon,” Jandor called. “You’ve already lost. There are way more animals in this valley than you have pogs.”

“So that’s really your plan? You’re not even going to try and challenge me yourself? Are you so cowardly that you’ll only send animals to fight for you?”

“Well, you do the same thing don’t you?” came the unexpected answer. “Sending those monsters out to do your bidding.”

It was Windborn, walking around the corner of council hall as if he’d always been there. He strolled forward, not the least bit intimidated by the pogs, and stared up at Calendon, a placid look on his features.

Calendon sneered as he looked down at Windborn. “Come to see your precious animals be brutally slaughtered? I must admit, I never expected that you’d actually stoop so low as to sacrifice the animals you claim to care for in some futile attempt to escape. Unlike the creatures of the Book of War, these pitiful beasts are not indestructible, and I’ll gladly raze this valley and kill every animal in it while I hunt all of your people down.”

“They are not as indestructible as you think. As it turns out, animals can kill them,” Wheaton revealed. “Surely you can see it. Even without Jandor in the fight, one-by-one your monsters are still being defeated.”

“What a feeble lie,” Calendon laughed. “Did you really think I’d fall for that?”

Windborn shook his head sadly. “Your lust for vengeance has blinded you to the truth. Why do you think your Lord Davron sent you here? Do you really believe he was just facilitating your revenge? He knew the order posed a threat and wanted us under his thumb so we wouldn’t try to resist him, but it’s too late; the truth has been revealed.”

“If you don’t believe us, then we’ll prove it,” Jandor said.

As if on cue, the jaguars pounced, attacking the pogs.

 

***

 

Lori and Addilyn both fought with such focus that there was nothing else in their world. Both seemed to be enjoying the fight despite the serious stakes, and neither was holding back.

“Oi, soldier-girl, don’t make me have to break my promise to the nature-types. I said I wouldn’t kill ya.” Lori taunted.

“Too bad for you, I didn’t make any such promise,” Addilyn countered.

Though Lori’s claymore was larger than Addilyn’s short sword, the two were evenly matched. Addilyn was adept at using mentus to strengthen herself without burning through her adimus energy. She could easily block and parry even the heaviest of blows and she was nimble, often using well-timed feints to keep her enemy guessing. In addition, the smaller blade allowed her to quickly and continuously strike and slash for extended periods of time, forcing her opponent to go on the defensive.

However, Lori would not be outdone. Despite its heft, she could wield the sword with ease, and when she swung, it forced Addilyn to jump backward to avoid the massive blade which made it hard to get in close. In addition, Lori’s footwork and well-practiced fighting style kept her from being overwhelmed by her equally fleet-footed foe.

From the nearby forest, both Daniel and his Order of Nature comrades tried to aid the tigrex. They shot arrows at the deathclaw, and Daniel even cut it with the chakram, but the resultant wound was too shallow and served only to enrage the beast. Unlike the pogs, it didn’t seem to have the ability to speak. The deathclaw roared in frustration and anger as it swung its heavy paws, finally catching Silvet in the side and swatting the wildcat away, causing it to tumble roughly across the ground.

“Looks like your animal friend needs help,” Addilyn taunted as her and Lori’s blades clashed again and again.

“You should worry more about yerself.” Lori moved in close, but Addilyn kicked dirt up and used the distraction to jump backward and reset her stance.

Realizing he needed to try a different tactic, Daniel jumped from the tree he’d been fighting from and ran toward the deathclaw, avoiding the other fights happening all around them. As soon as he was within a few feet of the monster he summoned a handful of mentus flames and threw it at the deathclaw’s face, but his goal wasn’t to burn it. He made the fire burn as brightly as possible to briefly blind the beast. The distraction proved to be enough, and while it staggered about and roared in frustration, Silvet bounded towards the deathclaw and bit its neck, causing blood to spurt out in earnest as it stumbled sideways.

The light was also enough to distract Addilyn and she saw the bear-like creature topple to the ground with a massive thud. “How is it harming my deathclaw?”

Addilyn looked around frantically and it only just became clear that she had far less pogs now. Over half of them had already been defeated and the others were quickly getting overwhelmed.

Lori took this opportunity to swing her claymore hard, knocking the sword from Addilyn’s hand. “Told ya to worry about yourself, girly.”

With a roar that shook the very air, Silvet pounced on the wounded deathclaw and bit deeper into the monster’s neck, and within seconds, it disappeared.

Addilyn hadn’t even registered that she lost her sword. The vanquishing of the deathclaw, a creature five times more powerful than the giga pogs, left her almost shaken. “This…this isn’t possible.”

The unkillable creatures of the Book of Ware were being defeated by mere animals. The sight caused her entire worldview to crumble. If these creatures could be killed, then that meant that Davron’s enemies had a way to fight back. The cycle of war would continue, and nothing would change.

Despair welled up inside of her as she dropped to her knees.

Lori strolled up to her. “Looks like the fight’s drained outta ya; that ain’t no fun.”

“I…I give up,” Addilyn said, though not necessarily in response to Lori’s words.

Daniel came up behind Lori. “If you call off your creatures and leave the valley, we won’t pursue you. That’s all the Order of Nature wants.”

Addilyn looked up still slightly dazed, but finally she nodded. She stood, put her fingers to her lips, and whistled loudly. The remaining six pogs stopped battling the wildcats and rallied to her side.

“We’re retreating,” she ordered. “We need to go back and tell everyone. If animals can defeat the creatures of the Book of War, then there’s no point to this anymore.”

Addilyn picked up and sheathed her short sword.

“Oi, you were a pretty decent challenge, girly,” Lori said. “Maybe one day you and I can have a real match where we ain’t tryin’ to kill each other.”

Addilyn smirked. “Don’t worry, next time we fight I’ll—" Just as she turned to address Lori, one of the pogs raised its axe high, clearly preparing to strike her.

“Look out!” Lori shouted

 

***

 

Calendon looked down in horror. In less than twenty minutes, the jaguars had made short work of the dozen pogs in front of the council building. A quick scan of the mentant realm showed him that this wasn’t a fluke. Across the plains he could see pogs falling to the wolves, bears, wildcats, and other various animals.

“Do you believe us now?” Jandor said. “Your monster army is done for, and we’ve already captured all of your soldiers. It’s over, Calendon.”

Calendon seemed to come to his senses and was still intent on not backing down. “So what? Even if it’s true, it doesn’t matter. You think some puny cats can stand up to the Book of War? If pogs aren’t enough, there are other creatures. I can wipe out hundreds of animals with just my deathclaw.”

“Not happenin’ cap’in,” came Lori’s boisterous voice.

Jandor turned to see the brown-skinned elf riding atop the black-furred tigrex, which was running at lightning speed toward the council hall.

“This here kitty already took care of yer deathclaw,” she announced as she climbed off Silvet’s back.

Calendon’s eyes bulged. “Impossible… impossible! You’re lying!”

There was a whizzing sound directly behind him, but before he could react, the flying metal chakram struck him from behind, knocking him to the ground.

Daniel, riding an argent wolf, arrived only a few seconds after Lori and caught his weapon with practiced ease. He’d wrapped the blade with his mentus to keep it from slicing through Calendon when it struck him.

Calendon groaned as he tried to stand only to find himself looking up at Chief Windborn, who was still smiling placidly.

“You…” he growled.

“As I said before, Captain, we are no fools.” Windborn amicably extended a hand to help Calendon up, but he slapped it away. Undaunted, the aged chief continued. “Call off your remaining monsters; leave our valley. That’s all we ask.”

“Actually, better not,” Lori called as she stepped forward. “Apparently those critters don’t like when ya quit the game. They might try to take yer head off like they did with that lieutenant girly.”

Calendon scrambled to his feet, eyes now wide with shock. “What did you do to Addilyn?” he demanded.

“We ain’t do nothin’,” Lori shot back. “Guess your critters are only loyal to their boss.”

“Isn’t it as you said,” Windborn reminded him, his voice still calm as he took another step toward Calendon. “If you disobey Davron’s orders, those creatures will turn against you. Is this really the man you want to be fighting for?”

Calendon seemed to be devolving into panic, his eyes darting around as if looking for a way to escape. “This can’t be…it can’t be! Why? Why! Everything was perfect. It was all…” His eyes locked on Windborn who was directly in front of him. “You…you did this.”

“Captain, it’s time to give up on this path of vengeance,” Windborn said calmly. “It will only destroy you.”

“I…” Calendon clutched his head, almost tearing out his own hair in his apparent rage. “I won’t let you win!” Before anyone could react, Calendon drew his sword and thrust it fully into Windborn’s chest, catching him completely by surprise.

“No!” Jandor rushed forward as did Silvet and all of the jaguars.

“Pogs attack!” Calendon called, and the remaining pogs that were stationed inside the hall burst through the doors. Knowing that this distraction would only buy him a few minutes at most, Calendon ran off.

Jandor was about to give chase when Calendon tossed a red bag behind him. It was the one he’d taken from Windborn’s office earlier, and he’d put it to good use. Another thick cloud of amenus smoke covered the area. With the animals busy dealing with the pogs, there was no way to pursue Calendon.

“Jandor!” Daniel called urgently. He was at Windborn’s side, cradling his head.

Jandor quickly doubled back and ran to where they were. “Is he going to be okay?”

“I don’t know, we need to get Terri or another healer quick,” Daniel said frantically.

“Lori!” Jandor called.

“On it, mate.” Lori knocked back the pog she was fighting and jumped on Silvet’s back. The two raced toward the woods to alert the other chiefs.

“Calendon is probably headed back to the caves,” Daniel said as he stared at the plume of amenus powder.

Jandor nodded in agreement. “We’ll deal with it later. I doubt he can bring more creatures back through immediately. We just need to seal it off before he can.”

“I wasn’t…able to…reach him,” Windborn suddenly wheezed, his breathing ragged.

“Don’t speak; we’re getting help,” Jandor said.

“It’s too late…for both of us…I’m sorry.”

“No, I’m the one that’s sorry. I knew I shouldn’t have let you confront that madman,” Jandor said, his frustration barely contained.

 “You fulfilled your role…as did I.” Windborn was struggling just to breathe, but he seemed determined to speak. “Do not let my death...be a stumbling block…Don’t go…down Calendon’s path…Always fight…to help others…not…out of anger…or revenge.”

“I…” Jandor didn’t know how to respond to this sincere plea. “I’ll try.”

Windborn smiled. “I can…rest in peace…knowing that.” He closed his eyes and breathed his last breath.

The jaguars finished off the pogs as Daniel and Jandor both watched over the still body of the fallen chief.

 

***

 

Calendon sprinted as fast as he could back to the translift caves. Looking back briefly he saw that no one was pursuing him.

“That old fool,” he muttered to himself as he started down the grassy hill that led to the entrance of the cave. “I’ll show him; I’ll get my revenge. Cirinian Valley will fall by my hands.”

As the mouth of the cave came into view, Calendon saw the pogs that he’d left still guarding it. This was a good sign. If he hurried, he might be able to get to Gilmore and quickly convince Davron to send stronger creatures before the order could destroy the translift connection. Perhaps he could even get the englers. They were some of the strongest monsters in the entire army; one of them could probably lay waste to the whole valley. He'd tried to contact Jansdimion via his communication crystal, but had received no response, so the only option was to go in person.

Calendon approached the pogs confidently, but they barred his path. “Step aside, I need to return to Gilmore and report to Lord Davron.”

The creatures didn’t heed his commands.

This caused Calendon to hesitate, but he kept a stern front. “Did you hear me? Lord Davron needs to know about this predicament. The Order of Nature—”

“None may leave the valley.”

“Cirinian is to be sealed.”

“The secret cannot be revealed.”

Three of the pogs stepped forward, weapons held menacingly. Calendon reacted in an instant. Knowing there was no way he could beat the pogs, he ducked low, avoiding the swing of an axe, and then slid nimbly between the legs of one of the pogs before running into the cave as fast as possible.

He knew under normal circumstances, trying to outrun the pogs was foolhardy, but he used his mentus to put on an extra burst of speed. He only needed to go a short distance to reach the translift, and the pogs were slow to react.

I won’t be sacrificed here. Who do they think I am?

He reached the translift connected to Gilmore and fumbled through his robe pockets until he found a quartz rod.

He struck the poll and suddenly there was an explosion so massive that it rocked the mountain range, completely obliterating the entire translift caves and bringing down a huge avalanche of rocks into the small sunken valley that once led to the entrance. It was now completely covered in fallen boulders and rubble.

Nothing remained of Calendon or the translift caves.

 

0