Chapter 70: The Mentant Engineer – Part 2
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 70

 

* Clandestine *

Once again, Becky found herself drinking tea as she tried to process this latest revelation. The entire group was now sitting in plush chairs in the courtyard of the manor with Maria Wilson, Ben’s self-proclaimed wife, who seemed quite oblivious to their shock.

“I’m sorry we don’t have anything more than tea prepared,” she said as she placed her glass in the armchair’s built in cup holder. “Ben didn’t tell me we’d be entertaining guests today, and I only just arrived back home a few minutes ago. I was actually visiting my parents, but it had to be cut short.”

Hamen seemed to be the only one in the group not too stunned to speak. “It’s quite all right. Our visit was spur of the moment,” he said. It occurred to him that because he was a guardian, she might be trying to adhere to a strict formal protocol, so he tried to set her at ease. “I’m not here on any sort of official business. I’m simply escorting this group to Fantasmal Mountain, but we got held up at the outpost, so they decided to visit Ben. They’re…” he paused to find the right words, “old friends.”

“Oh, you’re friends?” Maria brightened. “Where do you know Ben from?”

“Uh…we grew up together,” Bernie offered.

Maria raised an eyebrow. “I’m sorry, what did you say your names were?” she asked. Her tone was still light, but there was a hint of hesitation.

They all introduced themselves and as they did, Hamen felt something shift in the mentant realm.

His eyes grew sharp. “Why did you put up a mentus barrier?”

Maria’s smile was softer now. “I’m sorry, it’s just that I can’t risk the servants overhearing us,” she explained. “You’re all from Ben’s former world, am I right?”

“You know about that?” Becky asked in shock.

She nodded. “Yes, Ben told me everything, but I am the only one who knows, not even my parents know the truth of his origins or that when he was transported through the rift, he actually landed around fifteen years in the past. We thought that this might happen soon. We’ve known for several months that he was getting close to the time that he was sent back. Not only have there been rumors about mysterious monster attacks, but High Mage Elheart spoke of the emergence of those with the mark of the seal when he last visited.”

“Elheart, he is the epouranal mage in residence at Ellenon, correct?” Hamen said.

“Yes, when he visited with the royal family a few months back, the high mage came to us in private and said he had insight that pertained to Ben. It was quite unexpected.”

Hamen nodded. “I would say so.”

“I am truly glad that Ben has found some of his friends, but less happy since it means that the Book of War may become a problem in the near future,” Maria said. “I only hope the kingdom can survive another great war.”

“Ben never told us exactly what happened when he came to Mendala,” Alyson said. “Do you know how he ended up here?”

“Of course, I was there when he arrived after all,” Maria revealed. “He actually appeared in the core chamber. You see, at the time we were investigating strange inconsistencies with the core that could not be explained. Something was causing malfunctions in some of the most important systems, specifically the ones used for security. When Ben suddenly appeared, we thought that he was a Marshroot spy, but he told us that he had been accidently transported there and had no idea where he was.

“At first, we didn’t believe him, but then he mentioned that there was a rift where he’d been, and we started to put the pieces together. We were able to determine that a powerful rift had formed in the chamber. At the time, it was quite hard to get any sort of concrete information or readings on rifts. Mind mages, quickeners, and some other mentant-nons can detect them, but that was about it. We also had no idea that a rift could impact a core the way it did.

“Academy engineers started developing a way to both detect and neutralize rift energy, and Ben was actually a great help in that. He’s been with the academy ever since, and we’ve made real strides in mentant engineering over the last decade because of him. He has a different way of thinking; but I’m guessing it’s because of the world you all come from.”

“So, he just worked his way up to Vice President of the Academy?” Alyson said in awe.

“Something like that. I think it was also that Chris and Leonard took a liking to him; well, everyone did actually,” she blushed at this. “Ben can be very charismatic, especially when he’s going on about engineering principles. In the beginning, he told everyone that he came from a small town and never got to learn mentus, but despite that, he was very talented and seemed to catch on quick. The fact that he was able to significantly contribute to the development of the tools we needed to fix the core with virtually no knowledge of mentus was impressive. After that, Chris gave him unlimited access to the academy library, and Ben just started devouring knowledge and developing new ideas and theories at an alarming pace. I don’t think it's an exaggeration to say he single-handedly pushed our country forward by leaps and bounds.”

“It sounds like you really admire him,” Alyson said leaning forward, an excited look on her face.

Maria beamed. “I do, but I assure you, I’m not the only one.”

“So how did you two end up together?” It was clear this was the question Alyson had been waiting to ask.

“Like I said, I was in the core chamber when Ben first arrived. I was there with my father, but also as one of the top mentant engineers from the academy,” Maria explained. “I spent a lot of time with Ben those first few months as he worked with us to study and neutralize the rift. He was actually quite shy around me at first, but he always opened up whenever he was discussing engineering, so I slowly got to know him, and he eventually became comfortable around me. I very much admired his mind. Ben is one of the few people that can match me in engineering prowess. Despite not even knowing mentus when he arrived, he became one of the lead engineers within a year of study at the academy, and we often worked together. That, I would say, was the start of our relationship. I also really appreciated that he treated me like a person and fellow engineer instead of like nobility because of my father.”

“Your father?” Alyson repeated perplexed.

“Oh, I suppose you wouldn’t know. My father is Duke Theodore Westword.”

Becky, who had been quiet up until this point, almost choked on her tea. “What! So, if you’re father’s a duke, does that mean you’re related to the king?”

“No not at all,” Maria said with a chuckle. “I can understand the confusion. Our monarchy is very unique and does not function solely on lineage and bloodlines, so none of the ducal houses are related to the king. In Acumen, all positions of nobility are meritoriously earned based on academic, military, or other great achievements and aren’t automatically inherited. Even the monarchy is subject to scrutiny, and the Ducal Council determines which of the heirs is most fit to rule when the king dies or abdicates. They can even choose to end the current line if it’s deemed necessary, though that rarely happens. As the daughter of a duke, I am still considered a part of the nobility, but Ben’s position as vice president of the engineering academy actually holds more status. Even before that though, Ben always treated me as a colleague and a friend, and that’s what I liked about him. Plus, my father adores him.”

“Whoa…this is breaking my brain,” Melvin said. “Wait, is Ben a noble?”

“Yes.” Maria nodded. “He was made a baron when he was promoted to his current position. He could have easily been made a viscount on the basis of his many achievements, but Ben was really opposed to taking on a higher title. He told me that it’s a bad flag, but I never really understood what he meant. I think he’s just content with working in the academy and doesn’t want to be pulled away by being given higher rank. He actually tried to refuse any title, but my father insisted since it wouldn’t look right for someone holding such a high position to not have a noble title; plus, we were about to announce our engagement.”

“So how long have you two been married?” Alyson asked.

“Almost ten years,” Maria said proudly.

At this, Becky stood. “Uh, excuse me,” she said in an almost mechanical voice. She walked away from the small sitting area and towards a tree at the edge of the courtyard.

“Was it something I said?” Maria asked.

“I think she’s just having a hard time processing everything,” Bernie said.

“Oh…did she and Ben have some sort of relationship in the past before he came to Mendala?” she asked with a hint of timidity in her voice.

Alyson burst out laughing at this. “No way!”

“Well, Ben can be quite charming, even when he’s not trying. Everyone flocks to him because of his intelligence and skills, especially women. He’s widely considered to be one of the top minds in the country.”

“I guess being smart gets you girls here,” Alyson muttered with a chuckle.

Hamen stood now. He’d been staring at Becky since she left her seat. “I’m going to go check on her.”

Just as he was leaving the confines of the mentus barrier Maria had erected, he heard her say, “So, tell me about all of you.”

He walked to the tree which was near the back entrance of the manor. Becky was sitting under it, leaning against the trunk, a listless look on her face.

“Are you okay?” He asked as he approached.

Becky looked up. “I just realized that Melvin’s right: Ben really isn’t planning on leaving this place. He came to Mendala and just made this whole new life for himself; he even got married. Who would want to leave this perfect life and go back to dull Earth?”

“Is that a problem?”

“I don’t know,” Becky sighed in frustration. “It’s just…what am I even doing? Everyone I’ve met since arriving here has whole new lives. Bernie in Glorandor, Alyson in Weather Mountain, even Melvin seemed happy with those monks. All I’m doing is dragging them away from their happy lives. Why? What’s the point? I’m sure all of them want to stay. I’ve been so focused on finding everyone and bringing them together, I never stopped to think if that was the right thing to do. How many of my other friends are out there with full lives that they don’t want to give up?”

Hamen paused for a bit before speaking. “It may be true that all of your friends have rich and happy lives here, but that is all the more reason for you to find them and bring them together.”

Becky stood. “I don’t understand.”

“Perhaps you have forgotten, since we’ve not encountered them along our journey, but your friends have the ability to kill the creatures of the Book of War and hopefully stop the person who’s currently wielding it.” Becky still looked confused, so Hamen clarified. “In order to save this world from the tyranny of those creatures, your friends must come together to fight against them. If they have truly made a home here, then of course they’ll want to save it, and they can’t do that if they’re all scattered.”

“But I wasn’t bringing them together to fight; I was bringing them together so we could go home.’

“Technically, you’re still doing that. Your purpose hasn’t changed, only the location of ‘home,’” Hamen said sagely. “For many of your friends, the home they’ll want to return to is somewhere in this world, and they won’t be able to do that while the Book of War threatens to destroy all we have. Deep down they all know this, that’s why they chose to follow you when you came for them. I believe Ben will do the same. After all, he has so much that’s precious to him here.” Hamen nodded toward Maria and the others.

Just as he said this, the door to the manor opened and Ben emerged with two men in tow. One was Christopher Rogowski, and the other was an older, dark-skinned man with wild grey hair dressed in black slacks and a forest-green button-up shirt.

“I simply refuse to believe that with our collective knowledge we cannot resolve this issue,” Christopher was saying.

At that same moment, Hamen felt the mentus barrier dissipate. Turning, he saw Maria come up to her husband and give him a hug and brief kiss.

“Hello dear; I wasn’t expecting you back so soon. I was just getting to know your friends.”

Ben looked slightly wrongfooted. “Oh, Maria, I didn’t think you’d be back home, I…”

Maria gave him a knowing look. “Oh I see, you weren’t planning on having me meet them. Well, it’s too late, they’ve already told me all your embarrassing secrets from when you were growing up,” she said with a coquettish smile.

“Oh, who do we have here?” the dark-skinned man said when he saw Hamen.

“Where are my manners,” Maria said as she stepped away from Ben. “May I introduce Elder Barbidious Hamen. Elder Hamen, this is Marquess Leonard Stokenshire, Chief Royal Engineer; Count Christopher Rogowski, President of the Academy of Mentant Engineers; and of course, my husband, Baron Benjamin Wilson.”

The four men shook hands all around as Becky stepped up to the group, still looking a bit downcast. “Ben I—”

But she was cut off by Leonard who seemed to have an epiphany. “Wait a minute, a dwarfish guardian? Would you happen to be from the nation of Glorandor?”

“Oh, you’re familiar with my homeland,” Hamen said with a hearty chuckle. “Well, I guess that’s to be expected considering the dwarfish roots of so many of your innovations.”

“Dwarfish roots?” Becky repeated confused. “What do you mean?”

“The mountain hollowing, the city core, both created by dwarven engineering,” Hamen clarified. “I’ve noticed a lot of other aspects of your city that seemed based on those same foundational elements.”

“Wait, cores are a dwarf thing?” Alyson asked as she and the others joined the conversation.

“Cores are actually a combination of dwarf and elven mentus engineering. That’s why there have been almost no new ones made in the last two eras, because dwarves and elves both sequestered themselves away from humans and almost never create works together anymore.”

“That is only partially true,” came a melodic voice.

Standing at the threshold to the house was a tall, slender woman in a pale-blue dress. Her pointed ears were visible even through the long, silky blonde hair that cascaded down her shoulders and back. She looked remarkably similar to Maria but had sharper facial features, indicating she was an elf.

“Mom? I didn’t know you were here,” Maria said brightly. “Is dad here as well?”

“He’s in the parlor arguing with the other engineers, and now I come out here to find another engineering discussion,” she said with a tinkling laugh before stepping forward to extend a hand to Hamen. “I am Duchess Melody Westword.”

“Elder Barbidious Hamen. It’s a pleasure to meet you,” Hamen said as he shook hands, “but I believe you were saying something about cores?”

“Yes, you mentioned that cores were a result of elvish and dwarven ingenuity, but that’s not entirely true. They are actually the product of elves, dwarfs, and humans. They are the culmination of an era that saw the highest collaboration between the three major races. Though you are correct that since both our races chose to sequester themselves, such collaborations are now few and far between. I believe the last one of any significance was the Weather Rod, spearheaded by the Glorandor dwarves with the assistance of Ellenon elves and managed by humans since neither dwarves nor elves produce environs.” She smiled knowingly at Alyson.

Hamen seemed taken aback by her knowledge and insight. “You are absolutely correct. Forgive me; sometimes my people’s pride can get the better of even me.” He gave a slight bow.

“No need to apologize; egotism is not a trait exclusive to dwarves,” Melody said with a kind smile. “It is one of the reasons why I left Ellenon and decided to be a part of the wider world, but I digress. If you are indeed a Glorandor dwarf, then perhaps you could be the solution to our current dilemma. I would be most honored if you’d come visit the core with us.”

“What?” Christopher sputtered, clearly not expecting this. “That’s highly unorthodox, the core is a restricted area. We can’t just let anyone down there.”

 “Calm down, Chris,” Leonard said. “This isn’t just anyone. Elder Hamen is a guardian. In addition, he’s a citizen of Glorandor. His insight could be quite profound.”

“I don’t understand how he could help when none of our own people are able to resolve this issue,” Christopher said with a hint of stubbornness.

Leonard chuckled. “After all these years, you can still be so short-sighted.”

“I agree with Leonard,” Ben added. “You never know where help can come from. After all, you weren’t convinced I would be of any help when we first met.”

Christopher sighed at this. “I suppose.”

“Now that we have that straight,” Melody said turning back to Hamen, “would you do us this kindness?”

“Well, we do have our own mission to think about.” Hamen gave Becky a questioning look.

She shrugged, clearly too emotionally drained to care. “It’s not like we can get to Fantasmal Mountain any faster.”

“Ben, your guests are also welcome to join us,” Melody added, “so long as they understand not to speak of anything they see.”

Christopher looked like he might protest but seemed to decide that arguing with the elven duchess would not yield him the desired results.

“Well, I am quite curious about your city core,” Hamen said finally

“Excellent, I’ll let my husband know that we’re going back down,” Melody turned and headed inside.

Maria followed. “I’ll come with you; I want to speak to dad.”

“Sorry I’m dragging you into all of this,” Ben said quietly to Becky.

Becky gave another noncommittal shrug. “I’m kind of getting used to it. Just another day on my Mendalian sightseeing tour, but hey, can I talk to you.”

Ben looked around furtively. Leonard and Christopher seemed preoccupied in their own conversation, so he pulled Becky away from the others to a more private corner under the large tree. His expression suggested that he was already braced for what she had to say.

Becky sighed. “Look, I get it. You don’t want to go back to Earth. You’ve really made a life here, but I still hope you’ll come with us to Fantasmal Mountain. This Book of War thing isn’t something we can ignore, and we all need to decide together what we want to do.”

“I understand what you’re saying, but I already have a plan,” Ben said. “I’ve had fifteen years to prepare for Davron. I’ve helped increase Acumen’s defenses, but I know it may not be enough; that’s why I need to stay.”

“But Ben, what about us, what about the rest of this world?” Becky said.

“I can’t worry about all of that. I have to focus on what’s important to me,” Ben said stoically. “I know it sounds selfish but…war happens every day here on Mendala. The only reason why Acumen has been stable for thousands of years is because they worked hard to break away from that never-ending cycle of war and make a peaceful nation for themselves. They survived the last Great War, and with my help, we’ll survive this one.”

“But Ben—”

Before she could formulate another argument, the back door burst open again. Marybeth was in the threshold, this time with a young girl at her side. She looked to be five and wore a pair of blue leggings and a blue and white dress. Her blonde, shoulder length hair looked similar to Maria’s but her blue eyes looked distinctly like Ben’s.

The girl ran to Ben the moment she saw him. “Daddy!”

Becky thought that the day’s surprises were over, but she was once again left stunned as Ben lifted the small girl into his arms. “Melanie, I thought you were with Katie?”

“Sorry Boss,” Marybeth said. “Queen got called away, so she asked me to bring the lil’ bit back here.”

“It’s fine,” Ben said as he bounced the small child playfully in his arms, making her giggle. “Stick around though. We’re heading back to the core chamber. I’ll need you to take us and also keep an eye on Melanie while we’re gone.”

“Sure thing, Boss,” Marybeth gave Melanie a wink. “We’ll have lots of fun, right, lil’ bit?”

“Yeah!” Melanie shouted her agreement.

“No corrupting my child,” Ben said with a half-stern, half-playful look to the rowdy quickener.

“Course not, Boss,” Marybeth said with another wink. “Let me know when ya need me.” She headed back inside.

“You have a kid?” Becky managed to say finally.

“Yes, I do,” Ben said with a hint of exasperation. “Melanie, say hi to my friend. This is Ms. Becky.”

“Hi!” the young girl said cheerfully before immediately turning her attention back to her father. “Daddy, can I have a cookie?”

“Sure sweetheart, but after that, I’ve got to go do some work.” He gave her a big smile, but his expression became serious again when his gaze shifted back to Becky. “Do you understand now? This is why I need to stay. I have to protect my home and my family.”

He walked off, leaving Becky looking shocked and crushed.

 

0