Chapter 79: Prelude to War – Part 3
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 79

 

* Fantasmal Mountain *

“The quickener refuses to speak at all.” Rockwall said. “Foy is another story. He seems almost eager to talk, but he only wants to speak to you.”

“He definitely has a lot of pent-up resentment,” Honsmordin added. “He probably only wants to vent his anger, but he may slip up and give you something useful.”

Fantasma had a troubled expression on his face as he looked back and forth between his chief of staff and the head of his armed forces. They were sitting at a table in a small meeting room in one of the fort’s detainment centers. He was only half listening to his subordinates, somewhat detached from the conversation.

“Have we really failed the world this badly?” he said finally.

“Sir?” Honsmordin eyed him worriedly.

“I’ve just spent two hours learning the myriad of ways the Fantasmal Government has failed this world and its people…am I not supposed to serve the people? Is that not the role of the Fantasma?” he stood and started to pace around the circular table. “And yet war continues unchecked, and slavery is rampant. How are we helping?”

“Sir, government is complicated, especially one as big as ours, and it’s not our role to stop war, or fix all the ills of the world,” Honsmordin reminded him. “We serve the world in many ways, but we have limits specifically because we can’t impose our will on everyone. That’s what Davron is trying to do with the Book of War, force everyone to heed to his rule. If we used our resources to try and dominate the planet, none would trust us, and we would ultimately be ineffective.”

 “You’re right, of course. I will not become the tyrant Davron is making me out to be. Once this is over, we’ll work harder to effect positive change,” Fantasma resolved, “especially now that the Daughter of the Sun is back. For now, we need to put a stop to the Book of War once and for all.” He adjusted his robe and took a steadying breath. “Bring Foy to me, let’s see what he has to say.”

Honsmordin and Rockwall both stood, the mind mage giving a respectful bow, the general a sharp salute. They both left, and within a few minutes, a guard opened the door and Richard Foy, looking slightly haggard, was escorted in. He was no longer wearing his blue robe, making his stocky physique all the more evident in just a loose brown tunic and matching thin pants. There was a quartz bracelet around his right arm, specifically designed to repress adimus abilities.

The mutinous look in his eyes was just as pronounced as he sat in the chair across from Fantasma. The guard made to stay but Fantasma waved him away.

“General Rockwall seems to think you have something you want to say to me,” Fantasma started, his face a blank mask of impassivity. “Let’s hear it then.”

Foy was taken aback by how direct Fantasma was. “What? You’re not going to prod me to find out why I betrayed the Fantasmal Government or use honeyed words to recruit me back to your side?”

Fantasma chuckled despite himself. “Would any of that net a result?”

“You think this is funny!” Foy shouted angrily, his fist hitting the wooden table so hard it shook. “You think the loss of my son is a joking matter to you?”

Fantasma’s expression changed to one of genuine sympathy. “May I ask what happened to him?”

Foy flopped back in the chair. “The same thing that happens to everyone: war. Those dudders in Murrilogic, hurling fire around like it’s a toy. Portson didn’t stand a chance.”

“I’m sorry to hear that,” Fantasma said earnestly.

Foy shot him a look of contempt but said nothing.

“And you feel that it’s the Fantasmal Government’s fault that Portson was destroyed,” Fantasma prompted.

“Of course it is!” Foy shouted again. “All of these small towns fighting over scarce resources while the Fantasmal Government hoards everything for their own.”

“If I’m not mistaken,” Fantasma started, knowing full well that he wasn’t, “both Riverbed and Murrilogic are unaccredited towns. They pay no tax to the Fantasmal Government, so we take nothing from them.”

Foy seemed ready for this argument. “That’s not the point! You should be helping those people instead of just sitting here in your massive mountain and letting everyone else scrimp and scramble for the leftovers.”

Fantasma nodded. “I see. Is that what Davron plans to do then?”

“Once he stops all the fighting and forces the hoarding nations of the world to share equally, then we can all live in peace and comfort instead of a select privileged few.”

“So that’s why he plans to invade all of these places.” He pulled out the map he’d received from Alice and laid it on the table for Foy to see.

“That’s right,” Foy said with a nod. “All of those cities and countries will be brought under Lord Davron’s control very soon.”

“I highly doubt that,” Fantasma said, leaning back. “Some of these are major powers. They won’t be brought down by Davron’s small army. Even if he does have the creatures of the Book of War, they won’t make it past the barriers these places can generate with their cores.”

Foy smirked at this. “You underestimate Lord Davron’s power and his army. Did you really think Gilmore was the whole of our forces? There are already troops on all four continents. He’ll take down all of those cities and he’ll do it all at once before you’re even able to raise up arms against him.”

“All at once?” Fantasma repeated, his tone one of disbelief, though internally his mind was racing.

“The rock is already rolling down the mountain; you can’t stop it. You think just because you caught me that you’ve thwarted his plans? You haven’t. When midnight reaches Gilmore, everything will fall and there’s nothing the Fantasmal Government can do to stop it.”

Fantasma stood. “We’ll see about that.” He snatched up the map and headed for the door.

“You think just because I told you his plans that you’ll be able to stop him? You won’t!” Foy shouted as Fantasma left. “You’ve already lost; you lost the moment your army step foot in Gilmore. Your depleted forces can’t do anything next to Lord Davron’s army.”

 

***

 

“Tabatha,” Mrs. Guardman said softly as she approached the sulking melder.

Tabatha was sitting on the floor of another nearby conference room, knees to her chest, a complicated set of thoughts and emotions swirling through her mind. She was staring fixedly at the bonding stone she wore around her neck but looked up when she heard the familiar voice.

She tucked the necklace back under her shirt. “How’d you know I was in here?”

“Call it a mother’s intuition. I had a feeling you didn’t go far. I saw the door was opened and I figured this was where you went.”

Mrs. Guardman considered joining her on the floor but then seemed to think better of it. Instead, she pulled a chair over so that she could sit in front of her.

Tabatha looked down as if not wanting to face her. “You didn’t have to come find me. I’m sure they need you in their little meeting.”

“The meeting is basically over for now. They decided that it was best to sleep on it and make a final decision tomorrow. It’s been a long day.”

“They’re all going to stay,” Tabatha said matter-of-factly. “They’re going to stay and get themselves killed.”

“I’m worried about them too,” Mrs. Guardman admitted. “I wish I could just stop all of this and drag them home, but I know that I can’t. It’s not up to me. I just have to hope that they will survive, and so should you.” Mrs. Guardman said soothingly. “We just have to do what we can to help make sure they all come out of this alive."

Tabatha looked up. “It doesn’t matter. I don’t even know why I was trying so hard. At the end of the day, I’m not one of them. I’ve never been one of them, not even with A&A.”

“Tabatha—”

“I get it now; it all makes so much sense,” she stood. “You said the only reason my dad was even part of the seal bearers was because everyone thought that I was going to be born the Daughter of the Sun, but it wasn’t me, it was Ashley. She’s the special one; I’m nobody.” Tabatha started to pace. “That’s how my dad always saw me: a failure, a disappointment. That’s why he was constantly on me, always comparing me to her. I hated it.”

“I know—” Mrs. Guardman agreed. She’d heard this lament many times before.

“But I never understood it until now. That’s why he didn’t want me to join A&A at first, why he said it was a waste of time, because he knew that I would never be a part of this. He wanted to seal the Book of War himself. He probably would’ve dragged me into helping him do it if he hadn’t gotten himself blown up.” Tabatha threw up her arms in disgust.

Mrs. Guardman stood, intent on stopping Tabatha’s mental downward spiral. She stepped in the path of her pacing.

“Tabatha, like I told you, your father was trying to do a good thing; he just went about it the wrong way. It doesn’t mean that he thought you didn’t belong with the rest of the group.”

Tabatha shook her head. “Mrs. Guardman, you always see the good in everyone, but you know deep down that’s not true. You and Mr. E. were the ones who made Dad back down about A&A. If you hadn’t, I wouldn’t even be here…and I shouldn’t be here. I shouldn’t be with them. It was wrong for me to come back.”

Mrs. Guardman put her hands on Tabatha’s shoulders, but she stepped away, not letting the matriarch hug her.

“Mrs. Guardman, I’m going to go,” she decided.

“Go where?”

“Back to where I belong.” She put a hand to her chest and smiled as if remembering something fondly.

“Back to Earth? How will you—”

Tabatha shook her head. “It’s complicated, but I’ll be fine. I’m more worried about you. Don’t get caught up in this war. You’re not a part of this. You don’t need to be here. The moment I can, I’ll help you get back to Earth. Just stay safe until then.”

“Tabatha, please don’t go,” Mrs. Guardman said, tears running down her face. “I just got you back. I don’t want to lose you again.”

Tabatha smiled sadly at her. “It’ll be okay, I promise. I was always going to leave at some point. I thought it would be after high school, but we’re long past that now.” She put a hand on Mrs. Guardman’s cheek. “I’m glad that I got to see you again. Take care of yourself, and I promise the moment I can, I’ll help you get home.”

Mrs. Guardman wanted to object, to wrap her arms around her and prevent her from leaving, but she felt suddenly drained and exhausted. She dropped into the chair behind her.

“Tabatha…” she said groggily.

Tabatha kissed the matriarch on her forehead. “Thank you for everything.”

Mrs. Guardman drifted off to sleep as Tabatha left the small conference room.

 

***

 

“All of them at once,” Pathos said in shock. “That’s not possible. Just attacking one of those heavily fortified cities would take an impressive sized army. I didn’t see anything like that in Gilmore.”

“I agree,” Ace said. “It sounds like a bluff. I bet he’s planning on hitting a few of those targets but not all of them.”

“Maybe he thinks because the creatures are indestructible, he won’t need that many,” Alice offered.

“Or his army could be much larger than we think,” Karmandrian said bleakly. “Remember, Gilmore was nothing more than a trap. Who’s to say his whole army was ever there.”

They were still in the large conference room. The meeting had already ended but despite saying that everyone should go rest, no one had left. Instead, people were enjoying the remaining food and swapping stories about their time on Mendala.

Fantasma returned shortly after the meeting’s conclusion and revealed all that he’d learned from Foy. Now he was sequestered in a corner with Franklin, Sharanel, Ace, Pathos, Alice, and Karmandrian.

“Franklin, have you come across any powers that the Book of War has, other than creating those monsters?” Fantasma asked.

Franklin considered this. “I know that once someone has bonded themselves to the Book, it cannot be forcibly taken from them. Only the seal bearers would have that ability.”

“If one of us comes in direct contact with the book, we can interrupt its power, even if it’s just briefly,” Ace added.

“Anything else?” Fantasma pressed.

“Is there something particular you’re worried about?” Franklin asked.

“When I first met Davron, I tried to use mentus to bind him, but he was able to resist it with ease. I’m wondering if he might have gained some sort of power from the book, or perhaps the creatures have some abilities we don’t know about, something that could easily nullify the barrier put up by even a powerful city core.”

Franklin shook his head. “He could have gained more adimus energy from his link with the book; anything’s possible. Plus, every creature of the Book of War is different. We’ve seen mostly pogs but there are many others, like the one that put us to sleep.”

“Or those crazy powerful englers,” Pathos recalled.

“We can’t underestimate Davron,” Franklin said. “If there’s a chance he’s going to attack any or even all of those cities, then we should take it seriously.”

“I agree,” Fantasma said, “which is why Rockwall already deployed the entirety of our forces around the world and put them on standby at key locations near many of the targets. Davron must believe that his ambush depleted our forces. He’ll soon find out how wrong he is.”

Jandor joined the conference, seemingly drawn in by the word ‘deployed.’ “It sounds like you’re about to go into battle against Davron.”

“He’ll be attacking multiple cities tonight in less than two hours,” Ace explained briefly. “I think those of us who are willing to fight should help.”

Jandor agreed. “I do too, but I don’t want anyone to feel forced. Maybe I’ll just talk to the ones who we already know want to fight.” He turned to Fantasma. “What do we need to do?”

“For now, I want you to stay here in the mountain,” Fantasma said.

“Fantasma, with all due respect, we can help,” Ace said. “You can’t just sideline us because we’re—”

“I’m not trying to sideline you,” Fantasma assured. “I’m just trying to use my most valuable resources effectively.”

“What? Oh!” Jandor seemed to understand immediately.

“What did I miss?” Ace said looking back and forth between Jandor and Fantasma.

“Well, there aren’t that many of us, and you said that Davron’s hitting multiple targets,” Jandor summarized. “Fantasma wants to be able to put us where we’ll be most needed, and he won’t know that until the battles start.”

“Exactly,” Fantasma said, pleased that Jandor seemed to be on the same page. “I’ll be at one of the basecamps receiving up to the minute information. The moment it becomes clear where we need to pool our resources, I’ll send for you.” He turned to his three guardians. “I want you three to stay with the seal bearers. I’ve heard you already fight well with them, and you can help keep them protected while they’re fighting. We still have around ninety minutes until midnight reaches Gilmore, You should rest until then.”

Fantasma left the small huddle with Sharanel in tow.

“I’ll have Becky figure out who’s going,” Jandor said, and he left the group as well.

“Ace, may I ask something of you?” Franklin said before Ace could leave with Jandor. He walked him over to the table where the seal was still lying. “I’d like to borrow the seal to study it.”

Ace gave him a curious look. “Are you trying to find a permanent way to seal the Book of War?”

“Indeed.” Franklin looked surprised that he’d guessed, but Ace shrugged.

“I’ve known for a while that there needs to be a permanent way to seal the book again. It can’t be that we’re supposed to just keep this thing sealed by our own power forever, constantly passing it down. Besides, I can tell that one day, this seal’s power will run dry. I don’t know when, could be a thousand years, but still, it will happen.”

Franklin nodded in understanding and agreement. “When the seal was whole, it was a conduit for supernal energy, similar to the Sun Stone, so it’s power was infinite, but now that it’s broken, there is only a finite amount of energy left.”

“Exactly,” Ace said. “At least that’s how it feels. Over the years I’ve felt that energy is leaking into me since I’ve always been carrying it. It’s separate from just having the mark of the seal. It’s something deeper, something locked away inside of me. I can feel it on occasion.”

 “It’s quite possible that a part of the seal’s power has embedded itself deep in you,” Franklin said. “As one of the seal bearers, that would make sense.”

Ace nodded pensively. “Do you really think studying the seal could lead us to a permanent fix?”

“I’m not certain,” Franklin admitted, “but it is a place to start.”

Ace picked up the tablet and handed it to the aged scholar. “Well, High Mage Florentine said to keep it with me until our group was brought back together, and that’s happened, so I think it’ll be fine.”

“Thank you, I will take it to the libraries to study. I promise to keep it safe,” Franklin said, accepting the seal.

Lily sidled timidly up to them. “Chief Stokenshire, I overheard what you said about studying the seal. Could I come watch? I’m really interested in studying ancient artifacts.”

Though she didn’t say it, she also thought it might be a good inroad into being able to transfer to the libraries someday.

Franklin smiled at the eager elf. “Certainly, you’re more than welcome to come.”

He tucked the tablet into an inner pocket of his blue robe before walking over to where Ashley was talking to Sherrilynn.

“Oh, that was you?” Ashley said in awe.

“Yes, I saw you in Sunnin Mountain. It was a few weeks ago, in the Sun Stone chamber.” Sherrilynn said excitedly. “So, you remember?”

Ashley nodded. “It was right before I was sent to Wayne. I touched the stone, and it must have transported me away.”

Sherrilynn turned to Franklin, beaming. “See, I told you! It wasn’t a dream; it was real.”

Franklin nodded. “Indeed. It makes perfect sense now that we know the Sun Stone’s relation to the rift. It most likely pushed you forward to the present.”

Ashley shrugged. “Well, it all worked out, I guess. There’s still a lot of things I don’t know.”

“That’s to be expected; the Daughters of the Sun have been gone from this world for quite some time. I hope that you will allow me to assist you in filling in the gaps. The Stokenshires also keep detailed records on the Daughters of the Sun, so I’m sure I can answer any questions you may have.”

“That would be great, Franklin; I’m going to need all the help I can get.”

Franklin gave a slight bow. “I must take my leave, but I hope we have an opportunity to talk more soon, Your Grace.”

Ashley, who still wasn’t used to people bowing to her or calling her “Your Grace,” gave a light chuckle. “I hope so too; it was nice meeting the uncle that Salov talked about.”

“I’m pleased that Salov upheld the Stokenshire name,” Franklin said. “It seems many members of my family did their duty as Stokenshires for the Daughter of the Sun and her comrades, even if they didn’t know it,” he said with a gesture to Lori who was talking with Alyson a good distance away. “Remember, if you ever have need of anything, the Stokenshires are honored to serve.”

“Believe me, I’ll never forget that,” Ashley said with a smile before giving Franklin a hug.

Franklin seemed a bit shocked at being hugged but took it in stride. “Come Lily, let’s go.”

Lily gave a hurried bow before following Franklin out of the conference room.

 

***

 

“I’ve already deployed our civilian personnel to all the locations Rockwall specified,” Honsmordin reported. He and Sharanel were both standing in Fantasma’s office in front of a large rockwood desk. “All that’s left is to wait to see what Davron actually does.”

Fantasma looked over the reports that Honsmordin handed him. “This is excellent work in such a short period of time.”

“Well, I think everyone’s highly motivated,” Honsmordin said with a grim smile. “There’s been such fear and uncertainty these past few weeks. Now they feel like they can do something about this looming threat.”

Fantasma nodded at this. “I’m glad to hear that. Between all our resources and the added strength of the seal bearers, I see no issues.”

“I’m surprised that you changed your mind about involving them,” Honsmordin said.

“I’ve learned quite a bit in these last few hours,” Fantasma admitted. “We definitely need to trust them. They are not just valuable allies, but I believe they will prove themselves to be leaders in this fight against the Book of War. I can already see it in them.”

Honsmordin nodded. “Understood, I’ll keep that in mind.”

Fantasma stood and adjusted his robe. “Let’s head out.”

“After we get to the base, I can start coordinating the quickeners to move supplies where they’re needed,” Sharanel said. “That way we can keep things fluid.”

Fantasma hesitated for a moment before walking around his desk. “Actually, Isabelle will be handling logistics for this. After all, the majority of the quickeners are military personnel. I want you to stay here in the mountain.”

Honsmordin gave the briefest of confused looks before forcing a more neutral expression back on his face.

“Sir, shouldn’t I be by your side? Even if Isabelle is running logistics, you’ll need all hands, and I can help aid Honsmordin with civilian resources.”

“Honsmordin has things well in hand,” Fantasma assured her. “Besides, I may need you to help coordinate with the seal bearers.” He started out of the office.

“What?” Sharanel moved quickly to walk at Fantasma’s side while Honsmordin followed a few paces behind. “Sir, Henry is more than capable of quickening his group, and we’re linked, so I can contact him at any time.”

“Still, having you in the mountain may prove useful,” Fantasma said vaguely.

Sharanel stepped in front of Fantasma to stop him. “Sir, why are you sidelining me?”

“I’m not—"

“Did I do something wrong?”

“Of course not.”

“Are you upset that I used Echo Cavern?”

“Not in the slightest.”

“Then what did I do?”

Fantasma sighed. “You didn’t do anything, Sharanel. This is just going to be extremely dangerous; I don’t feel it’s necessary for you to be there. We have more than enough quickeners.”

“But I’m your chief quickener,” Sharanel objected.

“Yes, but that’s a civilian job; it doesn’t necessarily extend to war efforts,” Fantasma countered.

Sharanel gave him an incredulous look. “But we have civilians helping already, how am I any different?”

“Because,” Fantasma said harshly, but then his expression immediately softened, “because I want to keep you safe.”

“What?” It was clear she wasn’t expecting that answer.

“This is war on a scale that hasn’t been seen in centuries. I just think that, at least for now, it would be safer for you to stay in the mountain,” Fantasma said, his tone fatherly.

“Fantasma, I’m not a child; I can take care of myself,” Sharanel said angrily.

“I know that but…” Fantasma sighed. “I have no idea what Davron’s going to do. I’m sure he has some trick up his sleeves we haven’t seen yet. I know you’re more than capable, but when your parents named me your godfather, I swore that I would protect you in their stead if anything happened to them, and I reaffirmed that vow when I took you in over twelve years ago. I just don’t think I could forgive myself if I sent you into this battlefield and something happened to you.”

Sharanel’s expression was a mix of sadness and determination. “Fantasma, I appreciate everything you’ve done for me, but how can I do my job if you’re going to treat me like this. I can’t be sidelined every time there’s something dangerous.”

“I know that,” Fantasma nodded, “and I understand that I’m being unfair and even a bit irrational, but just this once, let me keep you safe. There’s still plenty that needs to be done here, and there may even be a need to coordinate the civilian quickener network depending on what happens, so you will still play a role in all this.”

Sharanel lowered her head. She realized that there was no way to change Fantasma’s mind. “All right, I’ll stay,” she muttered quietly. She forced herself not to tear up before looking up at him again. “But please summon me if you need me.”

“I will,” Fantasma said with a soft smile. He turned to Honsmordin who was waiting quietly behind them. “Let’s go.”

Honsmordin nodded and the two left Sharanel behind, still looking forlorn.

“I’ve never seen you be so protective of her, sir,” Honsmordin said quietly when they were out of earshot. “Why now?”

“I just have this nagging feeling that whatever Davron has planned, it’s going to be far more dangerous than we could possibly imagine,” Fantasma said. “Sharanel is still new to her role. I just don’t want to throw her into something this perilous less than a year in.”

Honsmordin nodded pensively. It was several seconds before he spoke again, his voice hesitant. “She’s right, though; you can’t treat her like she’s a child if she’s to do her job.”

“I know,” Fantasma said curtly before letting out a deep sigh. “I know it was wrong of me to do that, but…”

Honsmordin smiled knowingly as they entered the translift at the end of the hall. “You’ve become far more of a father to her than you want to admit.”

“Perhaps.” Fantasma tapped a quartz rod against the poll that would take them to the transportation corridor, and they both disappeared.

 

***

 

The fort was almost completely empty except for a remnant of guards and civilian personnel. There were also two prisoners who shared a single cell inside one of the detainment centers: Gamdon Barkwick and Richard Foy. The two wore matching brown outfits consisting of a short-sleeved tunic shirt and thin, pocketless pants. In addition, their adimus abilities were restricted by special quartz bracelets and the bars of the cell were made of a quartz hybrid that only allowed mentus to pass through from the outside in.

The cell was furnished with two beds and a table with two chairs. Gamdon was lying on one of the beds, quite at ease, while Foy paced back and forth with nervous energy.

“So, you’re saying the battle in Cirinian failed?” Foy asked.

“Yes, we’re almost certain; it’s most likely because the seal bearers were there,” Gamdon said, only speaking part of the truth. He would not tell the emotional quartzsmith that Jansdimion used a mentus bomb to seal the valley, one that most likely killed Calendon and his troops when they tried to use the translift Foy helped them connect. Instead, Gamdon turned to face his cellmate, a sincere look in his brown eyes. “I’m sorry; I know your daughter was with them.”

Foy smiled at this. “I’m not worried about Addilyn; I know she survived. She’s incredibly strong and resourceful. I’m sure she’s fine. What concerns me is these seal bearers you speak of. If they were able to stop Calendon in Cirinian, what if they foil Lord Davron’s plans.”

“I highly doubt that,” Gamdon said confidently.

“You’re right, of course,” Foy said, though he continued pacing nervously. “There’s no way just a few people could thwart such a massive attack.”

“And it will succeed thanks, in part, to you and your translift skills, Master Foy, not to mention what you did tonight.”

“I still don’t understand why you wanted me to tell them Lord Davron’s plan.”

“Let’s just say: I wanted to see them panic when they realized they were too late,” Gamdon said. “You did well, don’t worry.”

Foy nodded. “Thank you, though I still wish I could’ve done more. I would have liked to finish the last translift that you wanted me to work on.”

Gamdon sat up at this. “I think you may yet get your chance.” Though his access to the mentant realm was completely blocked, his regular senses were still well honed after decades of experience. He heard someone approach even before they appeared outside the cell.

The newcomer was wearing a white robe, their face shrouded by its hood, but Gamdon already seemed to know who it was as he approached the bars.

“I’m glad to see you, Lady Ellonous,” he said with a knowing smile.

Tabatha lowered her hood to reveal the annoyed look on her face. “I highly doubt that.”

 

 

0