Chapter 83: When All Is Lost – Part 3
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 83

 

* Weaver’s Road *

Sharanel’s sudden appearance caused her to collide into Henry, who, though he wasn’t expecting it, caught her deftly.

“Are you okay?” he asked as he helped her regain her footing.

Sharanel grinned sheepishly. “Looks like the translif quartz works.”

She arrived in Salov’s house only a few minutes after the others, having just escaped from Davron’s soldiers using the new ability Lawrence added to her staff. She then quickly explained what happened.

“You did an excellent job,” Franklin said. “You managed to keep your wits about you and throw some stumbling blocks in Davron’s path. Sealing off the libraries was an especially smart move. There’s no telling how he might use its knowledge and resources.”

Sharanel nodded, grateful for the praise. “So where are we?”

“We’re at Salov’s house in Weaver’s Road,” Wayne said as Sharanel took a seat at the dining room table.

Henry sat next to her and explained all that had happened to them. By the time he was done, Salov and the guardians had returned.

“I can’t believe it. One of your friends has been with Davron this whole time,” Sharanel said in awe.

“We were able to get a hold of someone and get a message to Fantasma,” Pathos announced as they entered. “Hopefully, they’ll be able to take back the mountain quickly.”

Sharanel suddenly shot out of her seat. “Honsmordin’s calling me. I need someplace I can quicken.” Though she was behind a quartz barrier, she could still hear the quickener call, she just couldn’t respond.

Pathos beckoned her to follow him. “Come on, I’ll take you to where we went.”

Salov stepped back into the dining room and found Wayne seated on the floor next to a tired Ashley who was curled up beside him, her head resting in his lap.

“I’m sure it’s been a long day for everyone,” Salov said quietly. “I think it would be best if we figured out sleeping arrangements so everyone can get some rest.”

Wayne looked around the busy dining room. Some people were standing around and talking animatedly, still reeling over the events of the last few hours. Others looked beat, either resting with their head on the table, or leaning against the wall. Ace, especially, looked completely out of it. He was sitting on the floor staring blankly at the remaining piece of the seal in his hand.

There were so many unanswered questions. Would they be able to stop Davron now that the seal was gone? Would everyone want to go back home now that they had the Sun Stone? Would Davron try to come after them again?

Wayne finally looked up at Salov. “Yeah, you’re right. We should probably wait until tomorrow to figure all this out. See that girl over there?” He pointed to Becky who was talking to Bernie, a serious expression on her face. “That’s Becky, she’s pretty much in charge of logistical stuff like that. Just tell her what you need, she’ll get it done.”

Salov nodded a bit hesitantly but headed over to where Becky was. Within seconds she’d reached in her bag and pulled out a notebook and pen, already planning things out. Meanwhile, Lizzy was bustling about handing chocolate tea to anyone who wanted it, and the two remaining guardians were talking conspiratorially in a corner. Wayne didn’t know why, but he got the distinct feeling they were talking about him.

Setting that thought aside, he nudged Ashley. “Come on, let’s get you to bed; you look exhausted.”

Ashley wrapped her arms around his waist. “Mmmm, carry me,” she said sleepily.

“Wow, you’re really spoiled,” Wayne chuckled as he stroked her head.

Across the room, Veda Guardman pulled up a chair in front of Ace. She was acutely aware that only hours ago, she’d done the same thing to a distraught Tabatha. She only hoped that this time, the results would be more fruitful. She didn’t want another one of her charges to fall into despair.

“I can’t imagine what you must be feeling,” she started softly.

Ace looked up, his face streaked with tears. “I just…I don’t understand. How could she?”

It was unclear what he was referring to; the destruction of the seal, her relationship with Davron, or perhaps both.

“I don’t think the answer is cut and dry,” Mrs. Guardman said sadly. “Tabatha has clearly gone through a lot. We may not ever fully understand her motivations.”

“I don’t know what to do now. I carried the seal for forty years, all for it to end up like this. I just don’t understand what the point was. I thought that we had a calling, a destiny to fulfill, but now…”

“Alex,” Mrs. Guardman said kindly. “If you truly believe that you were fulfilling your calling, then what makes you suddenly think that’s wrong now?”

“Look what happened!” Ace wailed in frustration. “The seal’s gone; it’s over.”

Mrs. Guardman shook her head. “If being called meant that every single step along the way turned out exactly according to some predestined plan, with nothing ever going wrong, then life would just be a meaningless script that we’re acting out with no will of our own. To be called means to be given a purpose and the tools to fulfill it; the rest is up to us. Having faith is wonderful, but you must act on it in order to see things through, otherwise, you’re just waiting for everything to be magically handed to you.”

“But the tool we had is gone,” Ace said holding up the last piece of the seal.

“I know it seems that way now,” Mrs. Guardman said. “I won’t pretend to have the answer, but I do believe it’s out there to be found. In fact, I think somewhere deep inside, you know what it is; it’s just hard to see right now with everything that’s happened. It’s late; get some rest. Look at things again when you’re refreshed and restored in the morning and remember: you don’t have to do this on your own. You have others to help you.”

“I guess. There’s not really anything we can do now anyway.” He picked himself up and Mrs. Guardman stood with him, giving him a hug.

Sharanel, Pathos, and Honsmordin entered at that moment.

Franklin was the first to notice them. “Honsmordin, is there news from the mountain?”

Silence fell on the whole room.

“Davron has completely taken Fantasmal Mountain. Every entrance has been sealed from the inside and not only that,” Honsmordin paused taking a deep breath, “he’s decimated our forces by destroying the translifts with our soldiers in it…including Fantasma.”

There was a collective gasp at this.

Ace was the first to find his voice. “What does this mean?”

“It means that right now, there is no Fantasmal Government,” Honsmordin said gravely.

 

***

 

“Oi GM, what brings you out here?”

Panson looked up to see a soldier waving to him from the top of the outer wall. He was near one of the wide stone staircases that led to the top of the rampart, so he ran up and greeted the blonde-haired, broad-shouldered guard. The two clasped arms.

“You’re working late tonight, Miller. I had a long day, first dealing with those lil ‘uns, then I went to the guild to straighten up so we can open ‘er up tomorrow.”

“So how exactly did all the buildings get restored? Everyone’s been talkin’ about it,” Miller said.

Panson shrugged. “Salov said it was something to do with the city core. Guess it’s a family secret.”

“Well, it’s good to have a Stokenshire back on the council. Maybe between that and Harsale taking the chair, things will actually get cleaned up.”

“Too right.” Panson leaned against the parapet. “It’ll be nice to have things getting back to normal again, though I tell ya, it was right interesting with that lil’ missy around.”

The soldier was about to respond, but then he suddenly sensed something in the mentant realm. “What in Alaman’s name…” He focused his mentus sense on the plains that stretched from the city to the mountains in the northeast. “Oi GM, are you seeing this?”

Panson focused his own mentant sense and his expression fell. “Go wake Harsale, I’ll round up the other guards.”

Miller didn’t hesitate to race down the stairs. Panson spared the plains one more worried look before running across the ramparts to raise the alarm.

A huge army was headed straight for Weaver’s Road.

 

***

 

“So, what do we do now?” Wayne was standing in a corner with Jandor and Becky, the trio trying to figure out their next steps.

Jandor shrugged. “I don’t know that there’s anything else we can do tonight. This is way over our heads right now. We have to wait to see where we can help.”

“I’m still figuring this place out, but from everything I know, Fantasmal Mountain is supposed to be this massive impenetrable fortress,” Becky said. “If Davron has it, then everything’s gotten a lot more serious. Plus, we don’t have the seal anymore. Maybe—”

“Maybe what?” Jandor said sharply, a stern expression on his face.

Becky flinched but immediately recovered. “Don’t snap at me. You know what I was going to say. Ashley has the Sun Stone. Isn’t that what we need to get home? It’s worth considering. At the very least, we need to pose the option to the group again.”

“Sorry, you’re right.” Jandor sighed. “I just still feel like there’s something we could do, even without the seal. What do you think, Wayne?”

Before Wayne could offer an opinion, Honsmordin, Sharanel, and the guardian trio approached them.

“Guys, you need to know something,” Sharanel started hesitantly. “When Fantasma activated your adimuses back on your world, he boosted you three beyond normal.”

“What?” Becky was completely taken aback by this sudden revelation. “What does that mean? Are our brains going to explode?”

“No,” Honsmordin assured. “Instead of just activating your normal adimus abilities, he went one step further, unlocking your full potential and giving you an adimus energy boost. This is something that’s rarely done and only the Fantasma can do it. It leaves a distinct mark on you called the Fantasmal Signature. This is most commonly done when promoting a mandant to guardian.”

Wayne’s eyes went wide. “Wait, does that mean—”

“Yes, Fantasma made you a guardian without meaning to,” Alice nodded. “We noticed it when you were using healing mandamus. Your adimus energy is far more potent than a regular mandants, so we asked Chief Pornabus to be sure. It’s official, you’re one of us.” She gave him an encouraging smile.

Wayne, however, looked terrified at the prospect. He only had a tiny bit of insight into what guardians were, but from what he knew, he didn’t want the power or responsibilities the role came with. It seemed incredibly daunting.

“Can it be undone?” he asked immediately.

Honsmordin shook his head. “Once a promotion happens, it can’t be undone.”

“You said it happened to all three of us,” Becky said. “So, are all of us guardians now?”

“Neither of you were mandants to begin with, so you can’t become guardians.” Honsmordin explained. “Jandor was basically a non when this happened since he’d never used mentus, so he was promoted to the same rank as a Fantasmal Knight.”

“A what?” Jandor looked thoroughly confused.

Honsmordin shook his head again, this time with a fatigued sigh. “It’s complicated. Suffice it to say you were given enhanced strength, reflexes, and a much higher healing factor, but nothing else. The adimus rank is actually called Fantasmal-non, but the only people who get this type of promotion are elite fighters in our military known as Fantasmal Knights.”

Jandor nodded, realizing he finally knew the reason for all the abilities he’d gained over the past few days, and why he apparently healed so quickly. “Well, at least it makes sense now.”

“It seems like he only applied the Fantasmal Signature to you three,” Pathos said.

“Probably because you were the first three he tried the adimus boost on,” Sharanel added.

“Feel blessed,” Karmandrian said in a bland tone, “you may be the last three Fantasma ever gave this gift to.”

“Karmandrian!” Alice snapped. “Don’t say that.”

“What?” Karmandrian winced at her rebuke. “It’s true. With the Fantasma gone—”

“We don’t know that he’s gone,” Honsmordin said calmly.

“Didn’t you say he was in the translift when it exploded?” Karmandrian asked, his tone far harsher than he intended.

“Even still, I fell off a mountain and I’m still here,” Alice said sharply, ‘and I’m just a guardian. He’s the Fantasma; there’s no comparison.”

Karmandrian shrugged, looking defeated, but he didn’t argue further.

“I’m really sorry,” Jandor said. “I know this must be stressful for you all. I wish there was something we could do, but right now, without the seal…”

Honsmordin smiled fondly. “It is true that we’re in a state of turmoil, but there is still much we can do to turn things around. For now, I think you all should get some rest. I will be telling my people to do the same.”

“Wait,” Becky called before he could walk off. “You said Wayne was a guardian, and Jandor’s a Fantasmal Knight but…well what about me? Did this Fantasmal Signature thing do something to me.”

“Oh,” Honsmordin said in sudden realization. “Not exactly…your situation is very unique. Come with me, I think Franklin is a better one to explain it.”

Becky’s look was half nervous, half intrigued as she followed the mind mage over to where Ace and Franklin were conversing.

“I think he’s right,” Jandor said. “This day has already been really long for most of us. I know everyone’s still wired, but we really should get some rest. There’s no telling what might happen next.”

Wayne nodded. “Becky gave me the list she put together for who should sleep where. I’m pretty familiar with this place, so I can start showing people their rooms.”

He pulled the folded sheet of paper from his pocket and headed to where Alyson, Ben, and Bernie were seated while Jandor decided to go talk to Mrs. Guardman. Sharanel also walked off to talk to Henry, leaving the three guardians alone.

“We should probably find a place to stay for the night too,” Alice said to her companions.

“Bunking together, just like old times,” Pathos quipped.

“I just want to drop in a bed and pray that I wake up to this having never happened,” Karmandrian said gloomily.

Pathos shook him playfully as they headed for the door. “Come now, Karman; cheer up. Things may look down for now, but at least they can’t get any worse.”

Just as Alice opened the front door, an explosion rang out through the night. It didn’t shake the manor, but it was loud enough to grab everyone’s attention, and many people ran to the windows or front door.

Looking to the sky they could immediately see what caused the noise. A massive blue mentus fireball had collided into the semi-transparent blue dome that was the city’s defensive barrier. As they watched, three more fireballs hit, causing similar explosive booms that echoed throughout the night. Though they caused no damage, it was clear that someone was attacking the city.

Karmandrian gave Pathos a sour look. “See, look what you did. What did Ace call it…oh yeah. You jinxed it.”

 

 

0