Chapter 90: The Skillmaster’s Gambit – Part 6
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 90

 

* Weaver’s Road *

“In some areas the explosions were so massive they took down entire mountains. All told, we’ve lost more than 100,000 people. That includes the losses from Gilmore,” Fantasma said as he completed telling his story. “General Rockwall will have his hands full for a while. Not only are they still searching for survivors, but with the loss of the mountain, we’ll have to relocate everyone who was displaced. Ultimately, we’ll be combining the surviving troops with those in reserve at the Fantasmal Fortresses, but that will take time now that our translift network is gone. Once we’ve assembled our full forces, the main priority will be regaining Fantasmal Mountain, but we can’t forget that Davron will most likely be sending his army all over the world to try to enforce his rule. Needless to say, this will be a battle on multiple fronts.”

Fantasma stood as he addressed the group in Salov’s dining room. Everyone was exhausted but listened attentively as he detailed the state of the Fantasmal Forces.

Despite being caught in one of the mentus bombs himself, Fantasma not only survived but he managed to save many of the people who were in the translift cave with him. Once he recovered enough after the initial blast, he used mandamus to create a path out of the collapsed chamber. He then had Isabelle transport him to Weaver’s Road when he heard of Davron’s attack.

Though he didn’t admit this to the listening crowd, the truth was that after multiple large displays of his power that day, even he was feeling the beginnings of adimus fatigue. This was one of the reasons he didn’t want to prolong the battle with Davron that night.

When he finished his story, he took a seat in one of the many chairs that lined the outer wall of the room. Once again, Jandor’s group occupied the table, sitting in the chairs that correlated to where they normally sat for A&A meetings, while everyone else sat in chairs on the outer walls of the room. This included Fantasma, Honsmordin, Sharanel, Lori, Salov, Franklin, Harsale, Sherrilynn, Pathos, Karmandrian, Alice, and of course Veda Guardman.

Though the seating arrangements seemed backward from the perspective of status, Fantasma had come to understand and respect how the group operated. He could tell that their norms were a stabilizing factor in their group dynamic, so he decided that he would let them run their meetings in the way that worked best for them. In addition, Fantasma had gained even more respect for them after hearing Honsmordin’s recount of the night’s events as they walked to the manor.

After he finished, Harsale reported on the state of Weaver’s Road. “Thanks to Baron Wilson’s efforts, the core wasn’t completely destroyed. It’s currently in self-repair mode, but it may take days, if not weeks, to fully restore all its functionality. As for the city itself, We suffered extensive damage to the outer wall, but only minor damage elsewhere.”

“My guardians have already been ordered to help you repair the wall as quickly as possible,” Fantasma said.

“Thank the heavens,” Harsale said with a sigh of relief. “With the help of the guardians, we’ll be back to normal in no time.”

“As for the core, I will continue working on it. With your permission, I can also bring in some help from Acumen,” Ben offered.

“The Weaver’s Road core is very special, so not just any engineer can repair it,” Franklin said before Harsale could reply. “However, my cousin, Leonard, will be able to assist you. My family also has the original plans from when the core was first configured.”

“Maybe I should put more of the Sun Stone’s power into the core just in case something like this happens again,” Ashley offered as she patted the stone in her lap.

“That won’t be possible for a while,” Ben said. “The interface used to transfer energy was damaged beyond repair. It’ll take time for me to completely replace it.”

Becky, who was in her customary position at the head of the table, finished writing her notes. “Fantasma, I have a question. How soon do you think Davron will start attacking other cities?”

“It could happen easily within a few days,” Fantasma said from his seat between Sharanel and Honsmordin. “I think he may first try coaxing leaders onto his side. Now that he’s in a position of relative strength, small countries and independent cities may capitulate without a fight, but the major powers most likely will not. Once he coalesces as much power as he can, he’ll start going after them.”

Becky nodded wearily. “So, we have maybe a day or two at most to rest and prepare our next move. What do you feel our group should focus on? We all want to help, even those that don’t have the mark of the seal, but there aren’t that many of us, and not all of us can fight. Plus, without another way to seal the Book of War, we won’t be able to completely stop Davron.”

Fantasma considered her question but before he could answer, Franklin spoke up. “Sir, if I may.” Fantasma gave him a nod and Franklin stood to address the group.

“Unlike the first Great War, this is not a conflict that can be solved with weapons alone. The loss of the Fantasmal Government will undoubtedly send ripples throughout the world. This is the first time in all of history that the Fantasma has lost to anyone, and now someone else occupies Fantasmal Mountain, which is considered the seat of world power. This will surely shake people’s confidence in Fantasma’s ability to restore status quo, and they’ll be far more susceptible to falling under Davron’s rule. We cannot allow this to happen.”

“So, you’re saying we need to bring people over to our side so they’re willing to help us and resist Davron,” Becky summarized.

“In a manner of speaking. What I’m suggesting is that you become the standard that the people rally behind. The Daughter of the Sun and the Twelve Warriors fighting against the would-be dictator who holds the Book of War. You saw how well it worked tonight to galvanize the people in this city. Replicating that across the world should be your focus. After all, it will likely take a united effort of multiple peoples to fight Davron’s army in the end. As you said, you are few in number. You need to rally people behind you, people willing to fight to save our world. It certainly shouldn’t all be left in your hands.”

“Oi, Uncle Frank, that’s all well and good, but ain’t we still gotta find a way to close out that book for good?” Lori interrupted. “Elsewise, this war will never end.”

“She’s right,” Jandor agreed. “How are we going to find or make a new seal? Is there a way to destroy the Book of War without one? Can we chuck it in a volcano, or something like that?”

Franklin pulled out a small white cube with a piece of melivian quartz inside. “I managed to make a recording of the seal before it was destroyed. I believe studying its markings may give us clues. It will be harder without the Fantasmal Libraries, but I have my own collection that I can use.”

“Also, I think I may be able to get some answers by going to see High Mage Florentine again,” Ace added abruptly, a pensive look on his face.

“You’re going to return to Vinchu?” Franklin asked, intrigued. “Perhaps I should go as well.”

Ace shook his head. “It would be much faster if I go myself since I know the secret routes through the white desert, and I’m not allowed to share those with anyone.”

Franklin looked disappointed but rallied almost instantly. “Of course; besides it would be better if we do our work in tandem.”

“Okay, so for now, we stay here in Weaver’s Road. It should be relatively safe. It sounds like Davron will leave this place alone knowing that the Fantasma and several guardians are protecting it, as well as us,” Becky said decisively. “Obviously we’ll take tomorrow to rest, but after that, we need to focus on our next steps. We’ll all have different roles, and they’re all important, whether it’s fighting, doing research, helping rally people to our side, or any number of other things. Everyone at this table—everyone in this room—is an important piece to resisting Davron.”

“You know, I’ve been thinking about that,” Jandor said suddenly. “I don’t like that we’re always referred to as the Twelve Warriors.” He walked behind his sister and put a hand on her shoulder. “If we’re going to be announcing ourselves to the world to get support, I think we need something that includes all of us.” He gestured to the Stokenshires, Mrs. Guardman, and Sherrilynn, the latter of whom looked surprised to be included.

“While the twelve warriors are heroes of legend, I do think you’re right. The right name might inspire much more support around the world.”

“How about the Fantasmal Fighters,” Becky offered.

Alyson chuckled at this. “Why not, everything else is named after him.”

“No, I’m serious,” Becky said. “The name Fantasma carries weight, plus, with Ashley representing us, it will show that the Daughter of the Sun and the Fantasma are joined together against Davron. That has to mean something, right?”

“Actually, I think she might have a point,” Ace agreed.

“It does give the air of an elite team put together by the Fantasma,” Honsmordin said.

“And blessed by the Daughter of the Sun,” Franklin added.

“I do not have an objection to it, though don’t be surprised if Rockwall tries to recruit you all when this is over,” Fantasma said with a slight grin.

“Well, is that okay with everyone?” Becky addressed the table at large.

There were a few vague nods and shoulder shrugs, but it appeared that no one at the table had any strong opinions either way.

“Well then, it’s official; we’re the Fantasmal Fighters,” Becky said. “Is there anything else before we get some much-needed rest?”

“Yeah, we have to address our leadership: well mostly me.” Jandor said as he moved behind her chair.

“What?” Becky looked up at him.

“Before we go any further, I want to make sure that you all feel like I’m the right person for the job.” Jandor’s expression was resolute. “This isn’t A&A anymore; it’s not a club, it’s a war. You guys still treat me and Becky and Wayne as the leaders, but realistically, we’ve been here the least amount of time. I just want to make sure that everyone is still okay with it being that way. I don’t have a problem stepping aside and letting someone else be in charge. Most of you know things about this world that I don’t. So, if you feel that you or someone else would make a better leader for this group, speak up now. I won’t be offended. I know that we need the best person in charge.”

The room fell completely silent for several long seconds as everyone at the table looked around, wondering who might speak up.

Ace was first to respond. “Well, I’m probably the most knowledgeable about this world, at least in our group, since I’ve been here the longest…but I think I speak for everyone when I say that no one is a better leader for us than you, Jandor.” There were murmurs of agreement.

 “I think I’ve been here the longest after Ace and I’ve even been a leader, in my own way, while in Acumen, but this is different. It’s like you said, Jandor, this is bigger than the club, it’s bigger than anything. That’s why we need you.”

There was more murmured agreement.

“No one here wants your job, Jandor; I know I don’t,” Daniel said abruptly, giving Jandor a knowing grin. “So, no use trying to give it away.”

Everyone laughed at this, but they also nodded or voiced their agreement. They knew that there would be many debates and arguments, but one thing would remain constant: Jandor Mason was in charge.

Becky looked up at Jandor again. “It looks like the people have spoken.”

Jandor shrugged, slightly embarrassed. “I guess so. Not that it matters anyway; you’re the real boss around here,” he clapped a hand on her shoulder, shaking her playfully.

“Yeah, no one’s questioning that,” Ace quipped.

There was more laughter and general agreement at this.

“Well on that note, everyone is dismissed,” Becky said. “See Wayne for your room assignments and get some sleep.”

There was a loud scraping of chairs as everyone in the room stood. Some people milled about but several immediately went to Wayne to find out where their room was, desperate for sleep. Last in that line was Amber.

He gave her a smirk when she approached him. “You already know where your room is.”

“That’s not what I want,” she said quietly as she gestured for him to follow her. They went to a private corner, and she rolled up the hem of her shorts. “It’s gone.”

It took a moment for Wayne to understand her meaning, but it quickly dawned on him; Amber’s brand had completely disappeared without a trace of it ever having been there.

“Did your healing mandamus just take a while to work completely?” she asked as she rolled her shorts back down.

Wayne shook his head. “No, it was Ashley. You were there when she healed everyone in the gym. It must have affected you too.” He glanced at his best friend who was still seated at the table. “That power of hers is pretty amazing.”

Amber nodded in agreement. “No wonder Davron wants her so badly.”

“I have to do everything I can to keep her safe,” Wayne said more to himself than his companion.

Amber looked up at him, a worried expression on her face. “Don’t worry, I’ll help you,” she promised.

“Thanks, I always know I can count on you.” Wayne rubbed her head affectionately.

Amber slapped his hand away with an eyeroll. “I’m not a dog.” She still smiled despite herself.

Wayne shrugged but said nothing as he walked off to tell the rest of the group where their rooms were.

Though Salov’s manor had enough space to hold the Fantasmal Fighters, there wasn’t space for Fantasma and his staff. Fortunately, a solution was found very quickly and Honsmordin was explaining the details to Franklin, Sharanel, Alice, Pathos, and Karmandrian, with the help of Harsale.

“Chairman Harsale has graciously given us the use of an impressively large manor not too far from here. It will serve as our base. There are plenty of rooms for us as well as the rotating guardian detail and any other staff that we may need to bring in,” Honsmordin said.

“It’s my pleasure to aid the Fantasma and his staff. Besides, that manor was recently seized as reparations from one of our former council members,” Harsale said vaguely. “You’ll be putting it to good use.”

Honsmordin turned to the guardian trio. “Fantasma wants you to continue working with the twelve—I mean, the Fantasmal Fighters. For now, you’re permanently assigned to them. I’ll be sure to let Sorinson know when he’s finished helping Rockwall. Fantasma also wants you to train Wayne.”

“Train him?” Karmandrian repeated.

“Yes, he’s a guardian with the power of the seal. With the right training he’ll be a formidable force in our fight against the Book of War,” Honsmordin said.

“I’m sure Cal—I mean, Ace will help too,” Alice added.

Despite having been stabbed by Tabatha, Alice was able to recover quickly. The wound was deep, but her body had already begun repairing itself shortly after she collapsed. Once Pathos found her, he used mandamus to speed up her healing.

“As for me, I will be staying here,” Franklin said. “Salov has a room for me; besides, there is a library and a research room in this manor that I will definitely be making use of.”

Ashley walked up to Franklin as he said this. “I’ve been thinking. Maybe we should put the Sun Stone someplace safe for now. I don’t think it should stay with me, at least not when I’m not using it.” She pointed to the stone that was now sitting placidly on the edge of the conference table near Melvin, who looked like he was zoned out.

Franklin thought about this. “You may be right. We do not want it to fall into the wrong hands again.”

“Perhaps you should also make a fake,” Karmandrian offered. “Sherrilynn mentioned it was possible.”

“Indeed,” Franklin nodded. “For now, there’s a secret place in this manor where we can keep the stone safe. Come with me.”

Franklin and Ashley retrieved the stone and then he guided her toward the library. As they left, Jandor approached Melvin who was still staring off into the distance.

“Hey, I never got a chance to thank you,” Jandor said.

This brought Melvin out of his stupor. “Thank me? For what?”

Jandor chuckled. “For saving us all back there. If it hadn’t been for you, I don’t even want to think about what could have happened.”

Melvin shrugged. “I guess, but if I hadn’t gotten knocked out, maybe I could’ve gotten the book earlier. I could’ve ended things quicker.”

Jandor shook his head. “If there’s one thing I’m trying to learn, it’s not to dwell on ‘what ifs,’” He glanced over to Lori as he said this. “You helped save this city. Be proud of that.”

Melvin nodded and made an attempt at a smile, but he still looked troubled.

Jandor sat next to him. “Is there something else you’re not telling me.”

Melvin shrugged again. “I’m just…I’m really scared. We’re in a war. We may never get back home. Honestly, I wish Becky hadn’t found me in Hidden Valley.”

Jandor smiled at this. “I’m scared too,” he admitted. “I don’t want any of my friends to die. I don’t want to screw this up. People are counting on me. It’s a lot, but we’ll get through this together, all of us. Even though you were scared, you went out there and did what needed to be done. I’m glad we can count on you.”

Melvin gave a more sincere smile. He felt bolstered by Jandor’s praise. He finally stood and stretched with a wide yawn. “Thanks, I think I’m going to head to bed, I’m exhausted.”

One-by-one, people left the dining room and went to bed. Only Jandor, Becky, Wayne, Ace, Fantasma, Honsmordin, Franklin, and Mrs. Guardman remained in the end. The small group were still discussing future plans when the main door to the house opened and Isabelle entered, having just quickened another member of the Fantasmal Staff to Weaver’s Road.

Mrs. Guardman was first to recognize the newcomer. “Lily!”

The small elf’s porcelain skin was even paler than usual, but besides that, she seemed fine.

“Martinson picked her up from Zohare and then contacted me,” Isabelle explained. “I thought I should bring her here.”

“Zohare? How did you get out of the mountain?” Honsmordin asked.

“Tabatha,” Lily answered wearily. She then launched into the story of what happened when Tabatha came to the library research room, and everyone listened in rapt attention. “When she looked at me after destroying the seal…she was different.” Lily collapsed into a nearby chair at the end of her short tale, clearly still exhausted. “Something happened to her. Something changed inside of her. I could feel…malice.”

Franklin looked pensive. “It’s said that melders are adversely affected by certain exotic energies.”

“Like the rift,” Ace said in sudden remembrance. “She couldn’t stand being in that cave.”

Fantasma nodded. “I recall that too.”

Franklin started to pace. “It is possible that the supernal energy of the seal falls into that category.”

“I think you’re right,” Ace said. “She mentioned that the seal’s energy affected her in a negative way.”

“Perhaps it’s like poison to her,” Franklin hypothesized.

“Could that affect her behavior?” Mrs. Guardman asked.

Everyone knew where she was going with her question.

“I don’t know that it’s that simple,” Franklin said hesitantly.

Lily, however, seemed more willing to accept Mrs. Guardman’s theory. “I spent two days with Tabatha, and never once felt any type of malice in her. It was only when she broke the seal that I sensed it. Something has to have changed.”

“We know so little about melders,” Honsmordin added.

“All I know is that she has a lot of internal conflict happening in her,” Mrs. Guardman said. “She isn’t as far gone as she’d like to think she is. She just believes she can’t turn back.”

 “I think so too; look what she left me.” Lily pulled out a small piece of melivian quartz.

Everyone gathered around as she tapped the crystal with a quartz rod. A small, semi-transparent image of Tabatha appeared floating above it, and she soon began to speak.

“Lily, I’m sorry I hurt you. I know you’ll probably never forgive me for what I did, but please know I had to do it. No matter what the others think, Davron is going to win this war. He’s already destined to take over, but until people finally accept that, there’s going to be a lot of war. I don’t want you to get caught up in it. That’s why I took you out of the mountain. I slipped an orcrus in your robe before I brought you here, so you should have plenty of money. Find someplace that you can be happy, or travel the world, just don’t go back to the Fantasma; it’s not safe. As for me: I know it’s hard to understand, but my place is by Davron’s side. I have to do this. I hope one day I’ll see you again after this is over.”

The image faded and Lily was in tears again, even though it was her second time watching it.

“That’s the Tabatha I know,” she said sadly.

“And that’s the Tabatha I intend to get back,” Mrs. Guardman said stoically.

 

 

* Fantasmal Mountain *

Tabatha was once again throwing a tantrum. This time, however, instead of destroying a room, she was venting her rage by sparring with Colonel Liger Fleetfoot. The half-elf was an expert swordsman and one of the people who trained Tabatha with weapons. The two of them were on the massive grounds of the underground fort, away from prying eyes. Tabatha swung her sword wildly and inexpertly, slashing at Liger again and again while she ranted at the top of her voice.

“Stupid Fantasma! Stupid Jandor! Stupid Melvin! Stupid Ashley! I hate them all! I should’ve just killed them. I shouldn’t have held back! I can’t believe it! And that arrogant guardian thinking she’s better than me!”

Liger calmly parried every single one of Tabatha’s frenzied attacks. He barely had to move and didn’t try to counter, even though she had dozens of openings. He was used to her rage, and at this point it didn’t faze him. Instead, he just allowed her to wear herself out; though he couldn’t help but taunt her a bit.

“If this is how you fought when you battled the guardian, I’m not surprised she bested you.”

“What did you say!” Tabatha roared. She threw a powerful punch at him, but he dodged easily and continued parrying her sword.

Standing off to the side were Davron, Gamdon, and Jansdimion, the latter of whom was giving a report.

“In addition to the numerous locked doors that we can no longer access, it appears that the Fantasmal Libraries have sealed themselves off. It happened sometime after you left, and the barrier is something I’ve never seen before. I’m not sure we can get back in.”

Davron nodded. “Well, when my wife calms down, I’ll have her take a look at all of this.”

“Perhaps Master Foy might have some ideas on how to change the mountain’s security so that it’s under our control,” Gamdon suggested. “Right now, he’s working on converting some translifts in the transportation corridor, but I will reach out to him about this current dilemma.”

“Speaking of Foy, he found a way for us to get to the Fantasmal Fortresses,” Jansdimion added.

Davron raised an eyebrow at this. “I thought we couldn’t after destroying the military translift network.”

Before seizing full control of the fort’s massive translifts, Davron had to make a choice between dealing a blow to the troops Fantasma had deployed or going after the five Fantasmal Fortresses. These were military bases located around the world which held reserve forces and a good deal of resources. He’d ultimately chosen to send mentus bombs to the locations where troops were deployed since he felt it would do the most damage. Doing this also meant the military translift network would be completely disabled so that even the translifts in the Fantasmal Fortresses would no longer function, effectively cutting off their ability to move troops.

“Foy revealed that there was a smaller, decommissioned translift network that was sealed off centuries ago,” Jansdimion explained. “Apparently, it was used for moving small amounts of troops between forts for things like staff reassignments. Foy and a couple of mandants uncovered them. They’re not very big, but since no one knows they exist, we have the element of surprise. I know we’re short on creatures, but even just sending a few dozen pogs to each fort could take out a good amount of Fantasma’s reserves while they’re still unorganized.”

“We can do even better than that,” Davron said. “We need to make sure Fantasma has nowhere to run. Send the pogs and let them cause as much chaos as possible for a few hours, then we’ll use the translifts to trigger mentus bombs.”

“We may not be able to completely destroy the fortresses but that will definitely cripple their infrastructure,” Jansdimion agreed. “Unfortunately, we won’t be able to take over the civilian government facilities, like Weather Mountain, since the governance translift was already destroyed.”

“That was expected,” Davron said. He’d had his spy destroy the translift previously, long before his plan to take over the mountain. At the time he needed a way to slow down Fantasma’s gathering of the seal bearers, so he felt this was an acceptable loss. “What of Teedmount?”

“We’ve successfully locked it down,” Jansdimion said. “When the citizenry wakes up in the morning, they will be smoothly transitioned into the new regime. I already have soldiers and pogs on patrol at all key points to keep the peace, and I’ve put Milana in charge. She seemed the best fit, and I think she’ll be able to persuade the people to embrace the new order rather than rebel. I bet within a few weeks she’ll even have recruited former Fantasmal Staff into our ranks.”

Davron nodded again. “This is all good news, now we—”

“Good news!” Tabatha shouted as she stormed over. “What about any of this is good news!”

Davron, like Liger, seemed completely unfazed by Tabatha’s mounting temper. Only Jansdimion flinched, while Gamdon gave a look of concern. Despite how fierce and unapproachable she looked in that moment, Davron reached out and stroked her hair, running his fingers through it and toying with her ear playfully. Tabatha’s anger instantly abated, and she almost purred at his loving touch, though she managed to stop herself when she remembered they weren’t alone.

“Better?” Davron asked with a smile.

Tabatha let out a long sigh before returning the smile. “Better.”

“Thanks in no small part to your efforts, we control the seat of world government,” Davron said calmly. “Despite a few minor setbacks, we’re in the best position we’ve ever been in. I’ll rebuild our lost forces, and soon cities and countries will be flocking to us, begging to become part of our new empire.”

“And you’re calling it the Ellonous Empire?” Tabatha asked, half dazed by her husband’s continual fondling of her ear.

“I thought it appropriate. After all, this new empire will not be bogged down by the history of the former government. It will be a new rule, a new world order.”

“With you at the top as emperor. I’ll be an empress: Empress Ellonous.” Tabatha grinned like a small child. “I like that.”

Davron chuckled. “I suppose.”

“But what about the seal bearers and the Sun Stone?” Tabatha sputtered as she pulled herself away from his touch, remembering her previous rage.

Davron shrugged, unperturbed. “What can twelve people really do? They got lucky tonight because I let my guard down. I’ll never let one of them get their hands on the Book of War again. As for the Sun Stone, it’s clearly useless against us, and until we’re able to kill the Daughter of the Sun, it won’t be of any use to us. We’ll get it at some point, but it can wait.”

Tabatha sulked a little but made no argument.

“I don’t see why you’re acting this way. When push came to shove, I knew you wouldn’t actually kill any of them,” Davron said.

This seemed to raise Tabatha’s hackles. “Are you saying it’s my fault we lost?” she demanded. “That if I hadn’t hesitated—”

Davron shook his head. “I’m saying that it’s fine to still have feelings for your former friends. It’s okay to be conflicted. I don’t expect you to be as ruthless as me. Just let our army and the creatures of the Book of War take care of them. You don’t have to prove your loyalty to me by killing them.”

“I know that,” Tabatha snapped. “That’s not what I’m trying to prove.”

“Then what?”

“I’m trying to prove that I’ve severed all ties with them, that they mean nothing to me. This is my life now. I’m sick of them trying to pull me back into my old life. I hated that life.”

Davron stroked her hair again. “I wish I could help you let go of this burden.”

Once again, he was reminded of the fact that Tabatha had taken his last name, even though he himself had dropped it. Ellonous translated to the phrase “Without History.” It suited Davron as a child because he was raised an orphan, and no one knew anything about his parents.

When he became a mind mage, he dropped the name as part of a special ritual. However, when he and Tabatha decided to marry, she purposely took the name Ellonous because she said she wanted to forget her past. She was desperate to move on from her former life and felt that the memories weighed her down. It seemed especially tough for her now that she’d found her friends after five years of thinking she’d been abandoned.

Tabatha thought that if she could just send them home, then she could forget about them, but they seemed determined to stay and undermine the happiness she had with Davron. She hated them for it, hated them for constantly trying to ruin the one thing she knew was right. They were so self-righteous, thinking they knew what’s best when they had no idea what was going on or who the real villains in this world were. They just wanted to play the part of heroes, all while making her suffer.

“Well, if I have to suffer, I’ll make them suffer too,” Tabatha decided finally.

Davron looked down at her as if trying to read the train of thought that led her to that statement. He could tell that she was about to do something wild and impulsive, and for some reason, this made him smile despite himself.

She turned to address Gamdon. “Didn’t you say you left a marker in the cave with the rift?”

Gamdon seemed taken aback by the query but nodded. “Yes, I hid one in case we ever needed to go back. Why?”

“Take me there,” Tabatha demanded.

 

***

 

“Lady Ellonous—”

“Empress!” Tabatha corrected with a sharp tone.

Gamdon sighed. “Empress Ellonous, are you sure you want to do this?”

Tabatha stood in the middle of the cave; her eyes closed. She had a steady aura around her but unlike when she was in battle or enraged, this one seemed tempered and controlled, showing that she was doing something precise with her energy manipulation skills.

“I’m positive.” Tabatha kept her eyes closed even while she answered. “Did you check to make sure no one was around?”

Gamdon nodded, though she didn’t see. “None of Fantasma’s patrols are here, we’ll be able to make our escape with ease, though we’ll have to take the long way back, unless I can find another quickener cave.

Tabatha’s eyes snapped open. “I’m done. Let’s go.”

The two headed out of the cave and down the tunnel that led to the large valley where the final battle of the Great War took place.

“I can tell that your control is getting far more precise,” Gamdon said more to make conversation than anything else. “Your skill with this is at guardian level.”

“It wasn’t easy. The rift messes with my energy flow, but I’m far from the novice I used to be.” Tabatha smirked.

“Very true,” Gamdon nodded. “I remember when Lord Davron first found you. You had no idea what your powers were or how to control them.”

Tabatha smiled fondly. “He was so imposing back then. He was the only one who could resist my energy drain because of his special mentus. He was the perfect person—the only person—who could teach me. He was the first real friend I made in this world. I would’ve followed him anywhere.”

“He does tend to have that effect on people,” Gamdon agreed.

They stepped out into the dark, empty valley. Tabatha turned back to the tunnel entrance and pulled a quartz rod out of her robe pocket. She started carefully filling it up with energy.

“Lady, er, Empress Ellonous,” Gamdon said after some trepidation.

 “What?” Her tone sounded annoyed as she assumed he’d try to stop her one last time.

“I want to apologize.”

Tabatha turned to him, a look of shock on her face. “For…?”

“As I said before, I did doubt that you would come for me in the fort, and not because the two of us don’t always get along. When you left, I honestly didn’t think you’d come back, I even thought you might turn against us and join the seal bearers, especially after you asked us to care for that Guardman woman. I expressed my trepidation more than once to Lord Davron, which is probably why he never told me you were in Fantasmal Mountain until he came up with the plan to take it over.” He turned and bowed deeply. “I’m sorry that I doubted your loyalty and love for Lord Davron.”

“That’s Emperor Davron now; remember that. “Tabatha smirked and she went back to filling the quartz rod with energy. “You’re right, we don’t always get along, but you’re loyal to my husband; I know that for a fact. So just this once, I guess I can forgive you.” Her tone became serious. “Also, you took care of Mrs. Guardman…so thank you.”

Gamdon shook his head. “That woman is unique. Is there something you’re not telling me about her?”

Tabatha smiled. “She’s always had a special aura. I’ve never really understood it myself.” The rod in her hand started to pulse, and she examined it closely. “It’s ready.”

She hurled the quartz rod into the tunnel with all her might, using her melder abilities to enhance her strength. A few seconds later, there was a ground-shaking explosion that rang throughout the valley, and soon the tunnel was completely caved-in.

Tabatha gave a nod of approval at the precisely controlled mentus bomb. It had not impacted the rest of the mountain, or the valley; it was designed to only destroy the quartz cavern and the tunnel that led to it.

“There,” she said with a dark smile. “I gave them the opportunity time and time again to go home, but they wouldn’t take it. Now they’ll never be able to go back, and when the novelty of trying to play hero wears off and they realize they’re stuck here, then they’ll know a bit of the pain they’ve put me through.”

Gamdon sighed. Though he didn’t fully understand her twisted logic, he said nothing against it. He felt that she was just being malicious to vent her anger at her former friends, but none of this mattered. It was probably best that the seal bearers didn’t have the means to escape to their world with the Sun Stone, so he didn’t try too hard to stop her.

The two turned away from the collapsed tunnel and headed off into the Lumarian Mountains. It was three hours before they reached a point where they could quicken. As they descended the narrow dirt path that led to Fenallday, the first rays of the morning sun could be seen through the mountains in the east. It was the beginning of a new day and a fresh start for all.

It would take a few hours for that same morning sun to reach Weaver’s Road and then Fantasmal Mountain and beyond. All across the world, people would be rising to a new day, and whether they knew it or not, a new era in Mendalian history. Only time would tell what this new era would bring.

 

 

0