Chapter 4 – Aya Gozen Editor Queen
824 3 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

 

"I said it's none of your business and yeah, I just came to submit it, the My World Cover art."

Alex said faintly, without feeling the slightest inferiority, his tone was very confident as if to tell him that it's a very ordinary thing to him. I've done this before, This is natural to me. Done the same shit back in Marbel, no biggie, what about you?

Kameda was surprised and stunned by Alex's confidence. A Mangaka who was once a sensation, a Mangaka who let himself fall far behind, actually fell into obscurity, and then his untimely sudden death that was his father, a timid and quiet guy, but this boy in front of him, this confidence? where did he get it from? this kid was nothing, he was just a kid who happens to have a Mangaka as a dad, but he is confident about himself. Is this really just another dumb kid? since when did Tochigi Sensei ever tutor his kid? Where did this kid ever find the confidence to stand here? even he couldn't stand here with such confidence! This made Kameda, who was ready to ridicule him just now unable to speak nor could he refute him.

This sort of self-confidence was even more contemptuous for a person such as Kameda, and this self-confident statement that does not put him in this kid’s eyes made him feel useless. Trash. Just like how his father treated him in the past even if their personality does differ greatly, he knew that look, the same contemptuous look his father used to give to him. Like father like son, he loathes the boy already.

To put it another way, the meaning of the confidence of Alex here was simply his authority. Even if he hasn’t drawn a single work in his current life, he already did it in his previous life, the Authority of someone who already published something numerous times and someone who already had experience in a similar industry, that is Alex Kenichi state of mind right now,

Even if I can't draw my own manga at the moment, I can still draw normally, I can still do a cover. You do you Kameda, just get out of my face.

 "Oh? Is it? Where did such confidence come from kid? you do know I'm Kameda right? I have my own anime works ya know? It's just a cover hah! why are you being so cocky all of a sudden?"

"And it's still none of your business old man, what is it to you?"

After all, my own manga is going to be animated eventually. I am looking for a meeting with the Satelight company producer. I also want to see the 'cover' painted by Tochigi Sensei kid!Kameda deliberately added the word "cover'. He sighed in relief and wanted to tell Alex the current reality. His father was part of the past, He has no name or reputation at all, if he wanted to ride on the coattails of his father's credibility, he had none. Only skill matters. Whatever it is the industry right now is far more competitive. Kameda was banking on the high barriers of entry to deter this kid to submit it.

He really doesn't believe that the kid can make it! His art has grown since his father quite a few years back, it's already been 10 years since then, He already out surpassed his father, what can a kid who knew nothing about the harshness of manga does? what can a kid who lost his father in an accident do without any of his father's guidance? he knew that his father quit the industry, he said so himself back then, But this new cover? It’s nothing more than a waste of ink, it’s definitely a mess, trash! just doodles from a dumb kid who knew nothing about the demon lurking behind the editorial department here! humph!

"It's up to you. Kid, your funeral"

Alex Didn't take any offense. Back in Marbel, there were many dumb SJW Comic Agenda's even back in his world, He did not care about Kameda at all. To him they are the same, agenda-based artist have no right to be in the comic industry, or manga industry. Profit or political motions have no place here. Only skill, art, and finesse. Alex went directed to the editorial office. He didn't want to waste time in front of such people. After all, his angels were still waiting for him to return.

Kameda clenched his fists and gnawed his teeth in anger as he looked at that condescending look on the kid, he acted just like his father! how infuriating!

"An outdated cartoonist heir! What does he know about manga?! Whatever! I want to see what your garbage looks like!"

After walking through the office many people said hello to Kameda but Kameda responded with a smug look and his voice deliberately became much more annoyed and loud, wanting to tell of the gap between Alex and himself, but Alex did not care nor take this matter to heart at all. Reason? He just doesn't care. The dude is a bitter old man ranting towards a high school kid. Can a guy like that succeed in this industry? such insanity won't work in the comic industry. Keep crying like a baby, see if the readers care about it.

the both of them politely knocked on the door, and after Alex walked in he explained his intentions. An editor wanted to take the bag with the draft in his hands and tried to review the manuscript he submitted

"Hey! Wait!" Kameda called to stop the transaction.

"Mr. Kameda, do you have anything to say to me?" The editor's hand was hovering in the air as he looked at Kameda curiously.

"Do you know who this is?" Kameda specially introduced the kid.

"This is Tochigi sensei kid! his son!! "

Everyone heard what Kameda said, the entire editorial 3 departments is surprised. Tochigi sensei kid is here? What is he doing here? Is he debuting? does he have the same style as Tochigi san? Didn't Tochigi san died just recently? Wow, his kid is already grown up!

"What? He is Tochigi sensei son?"

People’s murmurs were heard in the department.

"Yes! Tochigi Sensei recently passed away and his son is here to submit a cover art"

Kameda saw that the entire editorial department had blown up and felt that his purpose was half successful. Although sensei Tochigi is quite outdated, he was hailed as a genius. There was a time when he was celebrated as a rising star in the manga industry. A well-known mangaka in his time, even if his art is no longer in circulation, even if he passed away, His son might have the same monstrous talent as his father, a new legend may arise. In any case, he felt threatened by this kid. If he wanted to, he could have use a pseudo name and submitted it incognito, but he choose to stand here to submit it directly. 

Now that he did this, he cannot stay lowkey to hide his identity, let him lose face first, and the second is…

"That..."  The editor was a little scared. 

"Mr. Alex and Mr. Kameda, forgive me but do follow me. Allow me to take the both of you to the Chief Editor’s office."

When he heard this sentence, Kameda smiled. Yes, he wanted the Chief Editor of the editorial department to personally review the cover art of this kid. In this sub-industry, even in the secondary industry, Satelight has a legendary editor! That is the Editor-In-Chief of the 3rd editorial department, The Monster Editor  Aya Gozen is a fearsome woman. The Ice Queen of the Manga Industry. She will rip him to shreds!

There are three reasons why this editor is famous, First, she's young and beautiful,  from graduating college to this position, she only spent a single year! Second, she started to draw shoujo manga in junior high school! It can be said that she is a senior in this sub-sector of the genre while she often focuses on one-shot manga and short anthologies but her popularity sky rocketed on social media! Her experience is very rich! She’s a veteran fox industry that surpasses other conniving old foxes in the same group. a top-tier fox.

and the third point is also the most important! She is not only strict, but her reviews are also scathingly hot! Everything that she reads, if it's not up to standards, as long as there is one mistake it will be eliminated and rejected! Once, the unofficial daughter of the board of directors of Satelight Company personally drew blood, no one will come out of this industry alive.

Someone in the past decided to challenge her authority, once that person was a famous mangaka, she submitted a work, one of her newer works that would transcend all of her current projects. The quality was good, and she wanted to publish it. But the result was different, it was directly eliminated after being reviewed by Aya Gozen, and such rejection was accompanied by an 800 words long critical review. Even the Chairman’s request for courtesy was useless, and Aya Gozen did not compromise on this matter. The famous shoujo mangaka artist cried for two days, finally, she gave up drawing manga and went to study up architectural designs or something, she totally gave up on the industry.

Kameda wanted to sneak a badger into Alex's works.

What about him? So what if his father used to be famous? does he have the same skills? This kid hasn't even produced anything on the net!, where can you go from here?! Get out of the industry! Your father was a nuisance to me, an old relic forgotten by the industry, you still have the gall to show your face here?! dumb kid can't take a hint?! I will slam reality into your face first! Let me see how you will survive this!

"What a troublesome person,"

Alex said faintly, his expression was very calm, and there was no uneasiness and panic. Alex naturally knew who Aya Gozen was, but he had a hunch that his success rate is at least ninety percent and he was confident in himself. The reason why he was not one hundred percent sure was that: His current art level is still less than sixty percent of the peak time, And if he judge himself using professional standards? and if those same standards apply to his previous world? this cover will get a pass.

’ Just do it, kid! Don't become embarrassed later that you wanted to jump directly from the Satelight company building and commit suicide if it fails! How bad can it be anyway?’

said Kameda annoyingly, Alex naturally did not respond to his provocation, and that simply annoyed him.

Inside the editorial offices, a beautiful corporate-looking girl in a women's suit was sitting in an office chair. A single ponytail was tied behind her head, black square glasses covered half her small melon face, a pair of intelligent eyes, were sharp and fascinatingly beautiful and radiant as if they were a knife that can open a person's heart layer by layer. The Monster Editor Aya Gozen in the flesh.

Although she is very beautiful,  Her sharp eyes were enough to scare away a bunch of people. But to Alex, she was really comforting. He kinda misses this feeling of meeting people just like him. Editors. The same ilk of people just like him, critique to a fault but their heart is in the right place, to allow the author and creators to improve even further, to fix any basic mistakes, and guide them. He almost misses his old job.

When she saw Alex, somehow, her legs were quietly clamped, and the pen held in her hand was more forceful than ever. Was there some sort of a grudge? Alex and the others inside the office did not notice anything, but they just felt her predatory eyes! It seemed like she is desperately trying to open their hearts and devour them, those predatorial eyes kept stabbing at them constantly.

Alex became slightly panicked from this look. He took a breath and held his Cover art. She reacted quite different than he expected

I wonder if it's my face? is it because I'm too charming? that can't be it, right?

He politely presented it to her, his manuscript, the Cover art for the My World theme

"Chief Editor Aya Gozen, my name is Alex Kenichi, I came here to contribute to this job request. The content of this Cover is the same as the light novel "My World, please have a look at it."

Aya Gozen looked at him for three seconds, then took the manuscript and coldly said,

"You are the one I've heard from the hall about? your father is Tochiki? that guy Hiro Kenichi?"

"Yes,.."

 Alex smiled and kept his good manners. But in his mind it was a mess, She definitely did not act like how an Editor is supposed to, Perhaps there is some truth towards her status as the Monster Editor.

"How long have you been drawing ever since?"

"This is my first time"

 "Didn't you hurt your hand?"

"I was recently cured by a good doctor. My injury has improved and I was able to paint and draw again just recently."

Naturally, Alex lied. If it wasn't for the system, his arm would be useless, Drawing with the left hand would suffice but it won't be the same since it wasn't his dominant hand he thought. Alex was perplexed by this information, how does she know about it? Yes, he hurt his hand due to the accident, he found out about it from his memory, an injury that he has gotten from the accident with his father. He was with him at the time but the memory was rather fuzzy. He knew that his father died and he survived, but his hand was busted, the Doctors tried their best but this is what it is. Did she find out through some means? Alex wondered what's her connection to all of this.

" I see...your first time huh?"

the woman said it coldly and kept looking at the manuscript. She seems disappointed for some reason.

What?! Sure enough! The audacity of this kid! He hasn't painted or drawn at all! and he has injured his hand?! the audacity of the young ones these days Aren't you just waiting to be beaten?! he even dares to submit a cover art like this?! Aya Gozen's expression was not pleased. Kameda was grinding his teeth as he glared at the young pup. but Aya was merely focused on reviewing his artwork.

" This is very rough," said Aya Gozen, her thoughts are getting harder to read but it certainly wasn't positive.

After hearing the conversation from the side, Kameda was very elated! It seems that he can see the desperate expression on Alex's face being humiliated. What a thrill! The other editor had already left because the atmosphere in the office was too cold!

Aya Gozen smacked the file bag wrapped in the manuscript

"Do you think your cover art can conquer and satisfy my standards kid?"

Alex simply smiled slightly and said, "Maybe not but I have put in a lot of effort into it, I have confidence in my work."

Alex then gave her a sharp look.

" Don't you?"

Aya stares her cold beautiful eyes deeply into the young boy, his defiance is unlike a certain someone, The boy is definitely not his father. Even if his artwork is similar.

"You're not like your father at all, who are you?"

" Just a newbie trying to make it big in this world, so can you? will you, review it? Or should I just not waste your time now and head out?"

Aya Gozen the Queen of ice actually smiles for a bit. That threw Alex into a curveball for a bit, Kameda didn't notice it but it was brief and Alex knew everything will be all right. She's taking him seriously. Alex thought to himself, I really want her on my team, she's the real deal"

21