Chapter 33 – The bet with Newtype Magazine
317 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hokkaido Hotel Lobby-

" Mr. Hojo, I am merely a high school student, with no backing and certainly, not many assets of my own, so why are we doing this?"

"Take it, Kid, even as a loan, assimilate with mine and I'll handle the backend work for you. You need all the help you can get if you're going to beat the top 4 of Japan. gamble and live a little, what do you got to lose?"

Alex could not ignore that statement

"An interesting proposition but, how did you know?"

"Call it a gut feeling of mine"

The old man before Alex is a huge giant. An Oni with muscles wearing a weird Hawaiian T-shirt, with dark sunglasses here in the early hours of 9 am during a busy day in the heart of Hokkaido City with another cold and frigid woman with glasses, short bob hair with a blue butterfly hairpin, and a dark blue suit. The former head of JAMP International Hojo, and Genius Editorial Marketing Nanami, the manga editorial genius that set the trends of manga and anime for the past few years.

"These two are one of the biggest names in the industry and they want to work...for me?"

"So? what are your terms?, I'm guessing this isn't for free?"

The old man could only grin slightly as he stare into the young Alex's eyes with serious intent as if challenging him to gaze back. Alex wasn't perturbed at all by this power play and just ignore it

"Heh, strong kid, sure...I got my own conditions I guess, Me and Nanami here? We want you to help out a small studio of ours, A little unknown studio, I want you to help out with the character design and possibly let these guys stand a chance against the booths at the Tokyo Comiket coming this Summer, it's around next week yeah? not a lot of time but I believe you could probably do some miracle"

"A...studio? "

Hojo simply laugh and said

"Aren't you looking to absorb one? why not help out my kids, if they do well? Hire them for your upcoming project. The kids at the Chukaiyido in Tokyo, part of the sub-Akihabara inner circle, they got the talent but lack the direction, Perhaps they could even help you out in the future, what do you say? Do this, and Nanami's and my little magazine? will be transferred to you"

Alex pondered for a while and said..

"are you really handing over "Newtype" Magazine just like that?"

Hojo could only nod seriously,

"Right, the whole package, Kadoketawa don't own the rights but I do, JAMP won't interfere because this is my own little business and it doesn't clash with JAMP core market demographic, but sure...the mechs, the techs, and the Scifi manga magazine in Japan, "Newtype" will be yours, I'll hand over 10% of the stocks and the full direction of the magazine as it's CEO"

New type magazine was a premier magazine that covers scifi, mech tech, and even steampunk series, from studios such as Gainax, Gonzo, and even the famous Production IG and Sunrise with Gundam. In this world, none of the series that was mentioned even existed yet, except

Gundam, but for some reason, the series didn't do so well, the market didn't understand the premise of Gundam, even if it does tell the story of war, perhaps the message was ignored because Japan was still recovering from war when the series was aired, people are sick of war, and war stories, it was just bad timing...but now? Perhaps now is different.

If Alex could obtain this brand in its infancy, he would have another platform of the genre to cater to the masses and compete with the big four.

"Should I do it? Why not. I could rely on the system if things get too unfavorable"

"Sure thing, When do I leave for Tokyo?"

Hojo-san handed over the Train ticket and an envelope with something written on the back and some keycards inside to him, the keycard comes with a plastic ID laminated Card. they seem to be his ID for the location he's going later this evening.

"Take these, a train ticket for this evening and the Security Card to enter the building, location is at the back of the envelope. It's written there. You wanna meet the Leader of the group, he fashions himself as Zero, damns effin Chunibyou kids, even in their 20s, you don't have to take care of them, just show em who's boss and lead them by example"

Alex looks at the card and then stares back at Hojo as he grins maliciously

"What if I want to do it my way? Will you allow it?"

Hojo grins at that suggestion and said

"Go wild kid, beat their ass if you want to! hahaha! as long as I see results! Whatever it is that you wanna do, even if you wanna scrap their whole project and start new? just do it. If you can show my kids their place in society? that's even better, the sooner these fools learn the harshness of reality the better, I've seen your app, and I've seen Kyoto Ghoul, This isn't even your final form isn't it kid? What else are you hiding behind that thin veil-"

Alex was startled when the old man said this, his eyes were turned strange as if a certain madness took over him, but Nanami san interfere and said

"Hojo-san, Stop it. You're doing it again, Mr. Alex here won't understand "

"sigh...Nanami,.."

Alex couldn't help but ask

"What...won't I understand?"

Nanami could only shrug and fix her glasses upright and say

"Mr. Hojo here wants to invest in your future, he has an eye for things, call it his gut feeling, But..I've never seen his gut feeling gone wrong before so..."

Nanami look around and then whisper the words to Alex as she got nearer to him, 

"Whatever he says, take it as a grain of salt, don't grow overconfident, but take his words as a guidepost on what you should proceed and what you should do later on in the future, He is often right about these things, so just pay attention and be careful, people often say he's senile, but...I don't believe that's the truth."

Nanami san heads back towards where Hojo san was sitting and standing next to him and fixes her glasses again

" Please head to Tokyo, leave the arrangements for Comiket to me and Miss Aya, we won't let you down. The arrangements will be in Tokyo Big sight Ariake in a week's time, we will meet you there. All you need to do is present a booth of their own, and leave the rest to fate"

Hojo san stood up and gave Alex a firm handshake while smiling like a fool as he grins happily

" I've got great expectations kid! Don't worry about your side project! you've got 3 top Editors in the industry backing you up now!  Our connections and Status? use it however you want"

Alex look towards the ticket but there was something going through his mind, as his eyes seems to scrunch up thinking about something, His mind is made up.

" I might need another ticket, I want to bring someone along with me"

...........................

Ueno san was packing some clothing, she was going on a sudden trip with Alex, a business trip. a Paid trip to help him out he said, Either way, Ueno san is very happy right now, after yesterday's date, she is excited to spend more time with Alex, Ueno knew that she liked him for a long time, but this was the first time he asked first. Even if it is for work-related issues, it's nice to feel dependable for once.

"What did he say to me earlier? "Ueno-san, I need your talents, please come to Tokyo with me, it's such a short notice but please inform your parents and mine about it"

*Kyaaaaa!!

she screams in her inner voice.

" I guess that little date yesterday made him open up a lot. He seems far more cheerful these days. I'm glad even if he's very busy, humph! That Aya woman got nothing on him!, I can do this! Whatever it is that Alex needs me to help, I'll do it!"

A date in Tokyo! how grand!

..........................

He first thought of his family. Of course, he wasn’t so careless as to tell his family about his new little trip just because he got a little bit successful Given his mother and sister's personalities, Alex wondered if they would allow him to go especially alone with Ueno-san without any adult supervision, technically his soul is an adult, but right now? he's barely at the legal age. Not to mention, his plan involves spending a lot of money as well in Tokyo. and Shopping for some real estate as well.

He decided to get Aya Gozens help with this matter and she would handle it, she called in some favors and book some hotel in Tokyo for the arrangement, all we need to do is just go there to Tokyo today. The company Alex was employed with on Sapporo, the shell company that currently runs the grab services was steadily growing. Aya Gozen boldly declared that she would turn it into a world-renowned conglomerate within the next 5 to 10 years. With the Anteiku App behind the company, it should not be too difficult.

Since Alex had a position as one of its founders, Perhaps it wouldn't be so bad if he tells his mother and sister? Afterall...Getting Newtype was a really good deal, not to mention a new studio that he could work on directly.

It was then.

Bzz, bzz!

He heard a vibration as he was hanging his coat on the coat rack while thinking about various things. Alex took out his cell phone from the coat pocket. The caller was his mother. coincidence? probably.

“Yes, mother.”

—Alex...

His heart sank. He had seen her less than half an hour ago, but she did not sound good.

“What’s wrong? Did something happen?”

—No, it’s not that...

he could feel that she was hesitating.

—I was thinking hard about whether I should tell you or not, and...

“It’s fine. Please tell me.”

Alex pretended to be calm, but his heart was pounding. He was beginning to doubt whether his mother picked up on something.

—I’ve been having strange dreams recently.

“Dreams?”

Alex let out an empty chuckle. His legs went a little limp.

—Don’t laugh.

“Eii, mother, I thought something serious happened.”

—No, no, listen, I think they mean something.

“Just what kind of dreams did you have?”

Well... I don’t remember them all too well. They’re different every night... You always appear in them. One time, you were really drunk..and then I saw Ueno san...and somehow something happened..but then...you look different and...You're the same person and not the same person?....well, it's been haunting my dreams lately, I feel like it's some sort of Omen.

Alex was taken aback. The last part especially gave him the chills. Is the world trying to meddle with my mother's dreams?

“Dreams are just that. Dreams. Some people even say they’re the opposite of what happens in real life.”

—But still...

“Don’t worry. I haven’t had any problems recently. I’ve been busy with work, but that’s better than being out of work.”

—That’s good to hear, even if you are still in high school and it's the Summer holidays, Aren't you overworking yourself?

His mother sighed.

—Anyway, be careful. Make sure you stay safe.

“Okay, I will.”

—Oh yeah, I heard from Ueno that you're going to Tokyo and you're bringing her along for the trip?

Alex's eyes widened at his mother’s words.

—Mother consulted a famous fortune-teller regarding you. She said you should be careful  there in Tokyo, bringing Ueno is a good thing since having a female companion will bring you some good luck"

“Of course, I'll be careful, I'll take care of Ueno-san not to worry, it's just some business I needed to take care of with the upcoming studio.

—I see. That’s good to hear. Try not to work too hard, having money isn't everything son"

His mother let out a sigh of relief.

—Also, that girl, please treat her right. I'm not sure if you notice it but, She always likes you alot son. Aren't you going to reciprocate her feelings? my son isn't that dense, is he? Didn't you go on a date yesterday? you hardly tell me about it.

“Oh, really? umm, I know but..that's just uh..."

—Do you want Mommy to bring you some pills?

“...Huh?”

—It’s been lab-tested and everything, Your mother has some contacts with a pharmaceutical company, a pill that could enhance your libido

Alex  blinked just as he was about to say it

‘Hold on, wait..what are you trying to say"

—Alex?

“Yes?”

Alex Kenichi snapped out of his thoughts at his mother’s calling.

—I said I want grandchildren soon

As expected, his mother was rather quick-witted.

“Uhh...No? she's underage? are you mad?"

—Boo, you're no fun

Alex could shake his head even though he wasn’t on a video call.

It wasn’t until he endured a long worried speech from his mother that he was finally freed.

‘Mother, are you telling me to do that to an underage girl? what is wrong with you?"

—Your father did it, that's how we got you, Kids these days wait too long to get married and focus on their career and stuff-

Alex could only sigh at the gap in his generation

"That's not the point mom, She and I aren't like that, and it's really not like that."

—Boo, what about that Aya woman? she's fine too, Ooh! does my son like big tits?

"Mom...stop, I'm hanging up, 

—ahh wait!

Dudududu*

6