Prologue
231 4 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

On the day the earth stopped for me, I set out on my journey. There were still so many unanswered questions, and I finally needed answers. I was twenty-four years old, and my name was Aramoto Kakumo. It was unthinkable for me to leave my terrible past behind.

These beings had taken everything important away from me. My home, my friends, and my family. They were all murdered before my eyes. I remembered clearly the one day when this black, threatening aura appeared in Marlorvina, and shortly after that, countless demons appeared. I tried to escape from Marlorvina with my family, but a demonic being stopped us. With a sinister and cold expression, this being began to kill first my wife and then my son. I could not make out the face of this being and fainted from all the screaming. When I woke up, my wife and son were lying motionless on the ground. The whole town was buried in rubble and burning. I was mentally broken and began to wander out of the city until I found myself in a desert.

I wandered restlessly and grimly through the Satsujin Desert. This desert was known for its high mortality rate and sensory deprivation. The sun was piercingly hot and made my skin, bathed in sweat, glisten. The thought flashed through my mind of not wanting to hike any further and just falling over.
I just couldn't and wouldn't give in to that because that would have simply meant death. No matter how exhausting the steps were, which I tormented myself with last forces, so I forced myself with the hope flame, which still stayed in me, always further ahead.

I had now been on the road for almost a month. I had eaten very little during this time, and unfortunately, the few drops of water that I could tap at one or two old cactus trunks could not quench my thirst. At some point, in the middle of this desolate and godforsaken wasteland, I crossed a ridge of dunes.
I stopped and looked up from the ocean of dust and sand into the cloudless subtropical sky, from which the midday sun burned mercilessly down on me.

My hand, which was trembling incessantly, moved, as if in a trance, up my collar to where my necklace was and yanked it off my neck with a jerk. Slowly, I looked at the necklace I received from my brother before his inexplicable disappearance. "Why on earth did you give me that cursed thing. Tell me, Kishimoto! Why did you leave without saying a word? Why aren't you here!!!" yes, why. I wish I knew at least that.

Whispers and wailing melodies of souls seeking rest plagued me throughout the journey.
The environment around me distorted so much that my body was far too overwhelmed to send impulse waves through the nerve cords in my muscles to my brain, so I was forced to stagger and fall to my knees like a conquered warrior. You could already notice my heart beating noticeably through the heat vibrations in the burning hot air that was passing through the wasteland in all directions.

I stopped. Around me were dunes as far as the eye could see. I had only been on the road for 30 days; there were still days ahead of me in the desert. Everything was shimmering. No, I didn't want to give up! And yet, with all this wasteland, it seemed the most obvious thing to do because it took a lot of effort to keep walking here, to nowhere.

Suddenly, however, two familiar voices came to my ears as if from nowhere. I was startled and looked for the one source that would probably give me back my lost will to live. Constantly I had to listen to the lamentations of these invisible personalities, which consisted mainly of accusations and pure hate speech.

"You murderer! You murderer!" these voices accused me with a snubbed undertone.

Again and again, these annoying accusations played in my head. However, I continued to search the trail for the source of the voices that sounded so familiar to me. The terrain around me continued to change, and ever so slowly, I began to make out, now very faintly, two figures in my field of vision on the crown of the nearest sand dune.

Hectically, I ran up the hill to consolidate my suspicions of who they might be. For a moment, I forgot that my body was at its limit. When I arrived, I didn't believe my eyes, ran towards the two people like a berserker and hugged them guiltily and apologetically. I finally had my 'family' back, so I burst into tears like a broken dam and apologized as many times as I could.

"I am so sorry ... Forgive me ... Please forgive me ..." I sobbed to myself, overwhelmed by tears.

Suddenly, a low whisper sounded, which slowly but surely became more and more unbearable for me and turned into a loud yelp. I was startled and looked at the two people. Their facial expressions resembled a long-dead personality and had nothing human about them anymore.

"You have us on your conscience! You are a miserable murderer. Die!!!" these living undead ruthlessly accused me in a permanent endless loop.

I could observe how their faces turned inward, and only emptiness, as well as frightening blackness, could be seen in their former faces. Subsequently, these voices flanked me so that they mentally tore me apart, and I noticed how madness spread within me.

''No ... No! ... Don't do this to me, please!'' I screamed desperately, seeking innocence and escape.

In a complete panic and falling into madness, I tried to cover my ears and seal my eyes with my two hands. However, no part of my body could obey me, and the madness now completely seized my psyche.

The feeling of finally having a family again, of finally being perfect again, vanished. Now I was going completely crazy, and the figures began to melt away. The terrain became unimaginably bleak and desolate, and I began to emit shrill cries of suffering. After a few seconds of wailing, I fell to the hot sandy floor, bereft of my wits, and fainted.

2