Part 2: Chapter 4
607 7 44
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

To Lei Yirui’s dismay, Zheng Xiaosi fever has yet to settle down. She doesn’t remember this storyline going on for quite so long in Limitless, but the strange competition between every woman in the palace is still going on, and it’s really getting annoying at this point. Isn’t there anything else for you all to do?? And what about female unity, huh?? 

 

Lei Yirui is walking around with Lei Shunyuan and minding her business, lightly cooling herself with a fan. It’s getting hotter and hotter, and the million layers she’s wearing aren’t helping - and Lei Shunyuan had scolded her for looking slightly sweaty earlier, which is apparently not acceptable for a noble lady. She’d rolled her eyes and grabbed the string of his eyepatch to snap it against his head, and he’d only become minorly disgruntled by it, so she still figured she had a little bit of a win. 

 

She sighs heavily as the clouds move enough to let the sun shine through and beat down on her innocent head. She doesn’t know what she did to deserve being cooked alive, but she takes it back!

Lei Shunyuan is saying some bullshit about having to visit some kind of armory in a few days, and Lei Yirui is too busy wondering, ‘Why am I suddenly being told everything going on in the kingdom’s political landscape??’ to notice the woman that she ends up bumping into. Lei Yirui only stumbles a little bit, letting out a quiet squeak of surprise. Lei Shunyuan, perhaps predictably at this point, gently straightens her out by her shoulders in a quick, worried motion. 

 

“Shit! I’m so sorry!” Lei Yirui says, looking over the woman she bumped into. Frankly, it wasn’t hard enough to hurt her, but the woman looks so spooked that she might as well make a show of it. Even if Lei Shunyuan does pull a face at her language. Live with it, Gege!! Your new sister is too used to 21st century convention to go back on this!!

 

“You!!” the woman starts angrily, and Lei Yirui blinks, pointing to herself. 

 

“Me?” she says. 

 

“Her?” her brother says from behind her. The woman's eyes briefly flicker to Lei Shunyuan, and as if only just realizing that she’s in front of a man, she fixes herself and clears her throat into her hand. Still, cold eyes settle onto Lei Yirui, who really doesn’t know what's going on, and is still really hot from the sun beating down on her. 

 

She slowly begins to fan herself, and apparently this comes off as a dick enough move for the woman to scoff haughtily. Sorry, woman!! I don’t want to be cooked alive in this stupid-ass silk dress!

“Prancing around and trying to get attention from the prince, are you?” she asks, sticking up her nose. 

 

Lei Yirui feels her face scrunch up into a perplexed expression. 

 

What?? 

 

What a dumb thing to get angry at Lei Yirui for!! She’s been doing the opposite of trying to get any attention from Zheng Xiaosi, actually! She’s noticed him trying to get her to speak to him for the past few days, and sure everyone has noticed, but in that case how have they not noticed Lei Yirui’s masterful rich-boy avoidance skills??

 

“I’m not prancing. My shoes will crease if I prance.” she says, which is true from experience. She’s wearing flats that consist of fabric glued onto some sort of bamboo to keep them shapely, and once she’d been trying to tip toe to reach something from a shelf during her calligraphy lesson, and the adhesive had cracked under the motion and fucked up her shoe!! 

 

The woman tsks at her, and Lei Yirui is half tempted to smack her with her fan, but she isn’t exactly interested in this woman's father or brother or whatever elder man that works at the palace for her to be living here creating conflict with Lei Shunyuan if Lei Yirui does some stupid shit, like assault. But never say that she isn’t tempted.

 

“Why is everyone in this palace so fucking nosy? How many times do I have to say I don’t like men?? Will I have to trim the nails on my index and middle finger and show them to everyone I meet??” Lei Yirui says, irritated. Neither the woman or Lei Shunyuan appear to have any clue what she’s talking about, though the woman is looking at her like she’s a gutter rat from her liberal use of the word fuck.

 

“You should keep your sister in line. The other women in this palace will not be so kind to such an… urchin among us.” she says to Lei Shunyuan, who suddenly pushes Lei Yirui aside to stand in her place. He looms over the woman with a gentle smile, leaning a bit to close into her personal space. 

 

“Was that a threat?” he asks, and whatever the woman is about to say to that is cut off by a hand slipping between them, which makes both of them instinctively take a step back. Looking between them is a familiar beautiful face and a… well endowed body draped in a purple dress. 

 

“It’s too early in the morning for arguments to ruin such a beautiful day, isn’t it?” Meng Ai says, and Lei Yirui wants to jump in the air. She really likes this character, and she’s happy to see her finally show up for real!!

 

“I wouldn’t say it’s beautiful. I think I’m dying of heatstroke.” Lei Yirui says, and when Meng Ai looks at her, only then does she seem to realize who Lei Yirui is. She supposes she does look different when she isn’t dressed in the rather in the dreary brown and rather androgynous kitchen aid uniform. Today is a flowy blue and white dress with a sheer yellow shawl, and there are small glass flowers pinned in Lei Yirui’s hair today. Definitely a big difference!

 

“Lei Yirui,” the woman says with a smile. She actually sounds pleasantly surprised to see Lei Yirui. “I didn’t know you lived in the palace. How does your partner like the brushes?” she asks. 

 

Lei Shunyuan looks as if he’s taken psychic damage, but Lei Yirui ignores it to clap her hands together gleefully. 

 

“Sh— uh, he really liked them! I’m not sure if he’s used them yet, but he said they were really pretty and the bristles were really soft!” she says. Meng Ai’s eyes flash a little at the pronoun slip up, and when she gives Lei Yirui a meaningful look, Lei Yirui is frankly grateful to meet someone who’s IQ isn’t slightly impaired when anything has to do with Jia Zhenzhen. 

 

“I’m glad. I’ve come with the intent to sell some brushes to some wealthier clients, so I’m sure a good review from one of their own will benefit me.” she says. 

 

“We all know why you’ve truly come to the palace.” the woman interjects, and all three of them turn to her with varying degrees of surprise. They’d all forgotten she was there - that’s what you get when you’re an unnamed character!!

 

“Do you intend to do something about it? I’ve done nothing wrong.” Meng Ai says, with an air of slightly intimidating politeness that the other woman frowns with anger, before deciding that it isn’t worth it and brushes past them, attempting to knock Meng Ai’s shoulder, but she simply dips out of the way beforehand. When Lei Yirui looks at her, her expression says that she’s having quite a delightful day.

 

“You’re here to attempt to woo the prince?” Lei Shunyuan asks her, and there’s a sort of a jealous bite to his voice that Lei Yirui doesn’t think she’s actually heard from him before. She and Meng Ai both exchange glances at his tone, and Lei Yirui is really beginning to sense that she and this character have more in common than she might have thought initially.

 

“Something like that.” Meng Ai says with a smile. Lei Shunyuan gives her an intense once-over as if assessing what desirable qualities she has, and Lei Yirui suddenly approaches Meng Ai, grabbing her hand. 

 

“I could help you spread the word about the brushes,” she says, because she frankly doesn’t have any interest in the love-triangle she’s suspecting is forming. They can do that on their own off screen time!! “And I’d really love to know where you get your nails done. They’re very pretty.” Lei Yirui says. 

 

“That sounds great. I hadn’t expected such a lovely reception when they let me in through the gate, if I’m honest.” Meng Ai says. Lei Shunyuan clears his throat. 

 

“Meimei isn’t to be off on her own. A chaperone is required—” he tries. 

 

Meimei? I knew you two must’ve been related! A pretty face must run in the family.” she says, and the way she elbows Lei Yirui lightly tells her that she’s mostly picking on Lei Shunyuan. Lei Yirui can never pass up on some sibling bullying, so…

 

“It must! Look at how nice his eyelashes are.” she says. 

 

“Indeed. And his eyes are rather beautiful, as well…” adds Meng Ai, looking up at him through her own lashes. Lei Shunyuan is looking between them like he isn’t sure who he wants to get away from who.

 

“That’s…” he begins. 

 

“I’m only joking. Partially. And… don’t worry about your sister. We cityfolk can take care of ourselves just fine.” Meng Ai says. Lei Shunyuan appears resigned, considering he’s lost just about every battle regarding who Lei Yirui hangs out with thus far, so Lei Yirui laughs lightly and grabs his face to give him a kiss on the cheek. Lei Shunyuan looks rather embarrassed for someone who does the same shit to her all of the time, so she considers it revenge as she begins to lead Meng Ai around the courtyard, the two of them chattering away. 

Lei Yirui had expected Jia Zhenzhen to show up, what with her track record of doing it, oh, you know… constantly. 

 

Meng Ai is talking to her about what it’s like to work a job, and Lei Yirui is silently mourning the fact that she can’t just tell her that she’s worked a job too!! Her real family isn’t rich, after all, and she needed to pay for her food somehow!! Even she isn’t safe from the whims of a monthly paycheck from a large company… though her job wasn’t anything like making custom, high quality brushes for people. She was a sales associate at the Louis Vuitton French High-End Luxury Fashion Store in her local mall!

 

With a blur of the typical gray and white guard uniform and black hair, there’s suddenly a figure in front of them. Lei Yirui isn’t surprised, but she shakes her head slowly. 

 

“Do you ever do your job?” she asks. 

 

“On special occasions.” says Jia Zhenzhen, and Lei Yirui wheezes. Was that a joke?? “Who are you?” she adds, nodding her head towards Meng Ai, who scans over Jia Zhenzhen carefully.

“Your partner?” she asks Lei Yirui before answering.

 

“Yup!” Lei Yirui says, popping the p. Jia Zhenzhen’s face at Lei Yirui’s refusal to correct her is absolutely worth it. 

 

“Ah. In that case, I’m the craftswoman that made you that brush set. And, hopefully, a new friend of Lei Yirui.” she says, and reaches over to place a hand on Lei Yirui’s shoulder. Jia Zhenzhen’s eyes track the touch with laser focus, and Lei Yirui releases a quiet, slightly baffled laugh. She’s not sure what’s going on, but Jia Zhenzhen looks like she’s going to kill someone, and Meng Ai looks like she’s having the best day of her life. 

 

Meng Ai removes the hand from Lei Yirui’s shoulder, extending it to Jia Zhenzhen. Lei Yirui has always thought that Jia Zhenzhen was slightly too wild to ever do something as normal and human as giving a handshake, but she takes the proffered hand in her own, tight grip. The two of them hold intense eye contact for a second, and Lei Yirui watches carefully. 

 

Okay, here’s the thing: Lei Yirui has always shipped Meng Ai and Jia Zhenzhen. 

 

It doesn’t make sense, she knows that!! Let a girl enjoy her rare pair once in a while, okay??

 

For a romantic rival, Meng Ai was always handled interestingly compared to other dramas. There was no… inherent hostility between the two of them, just two women working towards their own goals. Meng Ai wanted a better life for her family, and Jia Zhenzhen’s relationship with the prince vs. her desire to carry out her mission were key! The two never argued, never got into petty squabbles, but instead had cool, collected, and meaningful conversations and subtle battles of wit.

 

And Lei Yirui doesn’t mind hetero at all, but some girls love is always appreciated!! It’s just that she never got to talk about it because nobody else in the fanbase seemed to care about such a ship!

So she kept to herself and had a couple of tries about writing fics about the two of them, but now that she was watching this frankly unnecessary and prolonged handshake, she felt a strange sense of bitterness at how much attention they were paying to each other. Um, hello! Lei Yirui is right here!

 

The two release each other, and Lei Yirui immediately snaps back to her cheery self, huffing good-naturedly as she returns to fanning herself languidly. 

 

“What’s up, Zhenzhen? What’s your reason for accosting me today?” she asks, tilting her head. Jia Zhenzhen sets her determined gaze on Lei Yirui. 

 

“I heard your brother wasn’t with you. I’m chaperoning.” she says blankly. Lei Yirui sweat drops. They’ve only been on their own for like, 7 minutes!! How did you already hear about that, Zhenzhen??

 

“What, do you keep tabs on the entire palace?” Meng Ai asks, tilting her head to the side, her red lips curving upwards. 

 

“Just the important ones.” says Jia Zhenzhen, a challenge in her gaze. 

 

“Important to who?” she asks, shooting a meaningful glance at Lei Yirui. Both women flicker their eyes towards her, and Lei Yirui suddenly feels uncomfortable, blinking absently. Don’t include me in your little mind games!! 

 

“What are you implying?” asks Jia Zhenzhen. 

 

“A few things. But I think you can guess one of them. Regardless, you are awfully convenient. In that case, any chance you know of the prince's whereabouts?” Meng Ai twirls a strand of her hair around her finger. 

 

“I always do. But they’ll never let you speak to him.” confirms Jia Zhenzhen, looking like she’s come to a realization that’s very pleasing to her. Lei Yirui imagines that she could figure it out if she thought about it, but she isn’t going to do that. No point getting herself too hopeful - ah!! That’s too much thinking about it! Backtrack, Yirui!

 

“I can be quite convincing,” she says with a wink. Jia Zhenzhen looks a bit flustered, and Lei Yirui understands, Meng Ai really is very pretty so of course she does, but really!! Right in front of her?? “If you could point me in his direction, I’d be on my way.” 

 

And Jia Zhenzhen, apparently over whatever mini bout of anger she held towards Meng Ai, frankly seems perfectly happy to point her in his direction and have her go away.

 

Lei Yirui half expects Jia Zhenzhen to start interrogating her about Meng Ai, but she doesn’t do that. Instead, she takes Lei Yirui’s hand and begins dragging her in the direction of the kitchen.

 

“Come. Uncle Hu hasn’t seen you in a few days and he’s worried you’re going to get too skinny.” 

Jia Zhenzhen has been teaching Lei Yirui footwork for the past few days, and she’s intensely relieved when Jia Zhenzhen acquiesces and says that they can quit early. It’s really too tiring, and Lei Yirui senses that she was actually born to laze about and do nothing forever!!

 

She tells Jia Zhenzhen to wait in her room as she leaves to take a bath. Her maids had initially insisted on helping her bathe, but it was really too embarrassing!! As much as Lei Yirui thought everyone was dramatic about showing skin, there was still a line!! And the line was being bare ass naked in front of strangers!!

 

She doesn’t take too long in the bath, quickly changing into some sleeping robes with an extra layer thrown on top, because despite the hot-ass temperatures of the daytime, it’s cold as hell during the night!! And Lei Yirui’s windows are just wood designs!! So many holes!!

When she returns to her room, Jia Zhenzhen is standing stiffly in front of her desk with a comb held tightly in her hands. She wouldn’t be surprised if Jia Zhenzhen breaks it, and when she shuts the door behind her, Jia Zhenzhen jolts and moves to hide the comb behind her back. What?? What was she going to do with it?? 

 

Ah, unless… 

 

“Did you want to brush my hair?” Lei Yirui asks hopefully, reaching up to run her fingers through her own damp strands. She always loves her hair being brushed in the morning by the maids, and it’ll probably feel even better if someone she really cares about is doing it!! 

 

Jia Zhenzhen looks embarrassed, but nods slowly, and steps back so that Lei Yirui can settle into the chair. 

 

“I don’t want to be presumptuous. It was just nice when you brushed mine, so…” she says, looking resolutely at Lei Yirui’s hair as she lifts a piece of it gently and begins to run the comb through it. When she glances at Lei Yirui uncertainly, Lei Yirui beams at her and gives her a thumbs up. 

 

Jia Zhenzhen is… surprisingly thorough. She attacks every tangle with enough fury to kill a god, but gentle enough so that she doesn’t tug too hard. She runs her fingers through her hair every 5 seconds to check if she missed one, and everytime her fingers catch on a knot, she narrows her eyes at it like it’s personally offended her and everyone she’s ever loved. 

 

It’s cute. Jia Zhenzhen is… cute.

 

“It’s suspicious how good you are at this. I think it’s your calling.” she says. Jia Zhenzhen frowns. 

 

“I don’t like touching people.” she says. Lei Yirui gives her a bewildered look in the mirror. 

 

“Huh?? But you touch me all the time.” she says. Jia Zhenzhen’s hands pause in Lei Yirui’s hair, and she shakes her head. 

 

“Yes. But you’re Lei Yirui.” she says. Lei Yirui squints as if it’ll make her brain process that any better. 

 

It doesn’t. And Jia Zhenzhen doesn’t elaborate. 

 

Jia Zhenzhen continues brushing her hair, even when it’s about as smooth and tangle-free as it’ll get. She’s pretty sure that the only reason she’s still going is because Lei Yirui likes it, but if she’s not complaining, then neither is Lei Yirui!!

 

She even feels her eyes slowly fluttering shut, but… ah, her impromptu spa day really has to be interrupted by plot BS!!

 

The door opens, and Jia Zhenzhen jolts and throws the comb across the room like it’s some sort of incriminating evidence of something. Lei Yirui barely notices it crash violently into her wardrobe, because she’s too busy whipping her head towards Lei Shunyuan, who’s standing in her doorway with a serious look on his face. Briefly, he looks resigned. 

 

“So you really do come here every night,” he says. Jia Zhenzhen glowers at him like she’s trying to kill him with her eyes. 

 

“Why are you here?” she snaps. Lei Yirui frowns at him. 

 

“Bro? Is something wrong?” she asks, rising slowly from her chair. Lei Shunyuan only regards her quickly, before his attention zeroes in on Jia Zhenzhen again.

 

“The palace is on high alert right now. You’ll get in trouble if you’re not where you need to be.” he says. Jia Zhenzhen’s body does that tensing thing it does whenever something serious happens. 

 

“Why?” she asks. Lei Shunyuan’s jaw tightens. 

 

“The Shen Tan kingdom officially declared war yesterday. The message just arrived, straight from Tang Xiaodan.” he says. Jia Zhenzhen doesn’t look surprised, but a conflicted look crosses her face. She nods, and settles a hand gently on Lei Yirui’s shoulder. She gives it a squeeze, before following Lei Shunyuan out of the door. 

 

Lei Yirui stares at her door for a moment, before spinning back around in her chair. She settles her elbow on her desk, and rests her chin in her hand. With a sigh, she blows a strand of hair out of her face. 

 

“Why do I feel like I just got cockblocked?” she mumbles dejectedly. 

44