Part 4: Chapter 3
395 7 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A/N: exams. am i right guys???

 

also!!! i want to make an illustration as a bit of an apology for my long long absence… any scenes in particular (from any part of this story) you guys might be interested in seeing??

 


 

“Aren’t you guys together an awful lot for mortal enemies?” Lei Yirui asks, looking up from the game of Go she and Ren Wenqian have been at for the last hour or so. The girl is surprisingly good, and Lei Yirui feels a bit like she’s fighting for her life with this game, so she’s happy for the distraction. 

 

“Do not be immature, Meimei. We’re not mortal enemies; we have a professional relationship.” Lei Shunyuan says neutrally. Zheng Xiaosi snorts loudly, and Lei Shunyuan narrows his eyes dangerously at him. Jia Yuxing pokes his head out from where he’s been hovering nervously behind Zheng Xiaosi, holding up his free hand and waving at Lei Yirui. She beams at him and waves back, and he smiles to himself, before averting his gaze when Zheng Xiaosi sends him a curious look. 

 

“Are you playing Go?” Zheng Xiaosi asks after a moment, approaching the table and lowering himself to eye the board. 

 

Astounding, Ren Wenqian! You’re absolutely beating her ass.” Zheng Xiaosi says, cupping his chin in his hand, with an approving nod and a wicked grin on his face. Lei Yirui barks out a laugh at his language, and Ren Wenqian shrieks with laughter, before covering her mouth with her hand in an attempt to be proper. It fails, and she drops her head onto the table with a thunk and continues to shake with laughter.

 

“Yes—haha!—thank you, your—your highness!” she manages to get out, though she sounds like she might die. 

 

“I would really love it if you could refrain from derailing the conversation before the conversation has even begun.” Lei Shunyuan says to the other man, rounding the table and settling on the free side. Jia Yuxing is still standing awkwardly in the doorway, eyes wide and curious as he looks at the situation. Ah, he’s really settling into his new job!! How cute!!

“Here, Jia Yuxing!! Sit with me.” Lei Yirui chirps happily, scooting to the side so he can join her. He has his cane today anyways, and it’s probably rude to just expect him to keep standing there. He beams and rushes over, comfortably plopping himself next to her.

 

“Thank you.” he says, with a grin, before attempting to look professional. It doesn’t really land, but A+ for effort. 

 

“What are you here to talk about?” Lei Yirui asks, squinting at the board. She had been putting off making her play for a while by distracting Ren Wenqian with useless chatter about their respective love lives, since she really has no idea what to do. Ren Wenqian likes talking about all of her prospective suitors, and Lei Yirui likes talking about her Jia Zhenzhen; and since both like romantic drama, they’re like peas in a pod!!

 

“I would have preferred this to be private, if I am to be completely honest. But this one is impossible.” Lei Shunyuan says, nodding his head towards Zheng Xiaosi with a deceptively friendly smile on his face. 

 

“I’m sorry!!” Jia Yuxing randomly chirps out, and Zheng Xiaosi releases a delighted laugh. Looks like he thinks Jia Yuxing is a cutie too!! Maybe Lei Yirui can start a club. Of course, Jia Zhenzhen and herself would be the club leaders. She hasn’t seen much of Meng Ai lately, but from what Ren Wenqian has told her, she likes him too. 


“Oh my. Worry not, as it is not your fault.” Lei Shunyuan says to him with a genuinely soft and fond look. Ah, he can join the club too!! Still, his gaze turns back to Lei Yirui, and he looks rather serious.

 

“I’ve taken your advice to heart.. And I am aware that you appear… fine, on the outside, but so much has happened to you as of late, and I fear my specific skill set is not enough to protect you,” he says. Lei Yirui, who had finally picked up a stone to move it, freezes her arm in place and exchanges glances with Ren Wenqian. That sounds… not good. “It is dangerous in the palace. And with recent developments and the emerging political turmoil in the Shen Tan Kingdom, the emperor has decided the prince is to direct a military campaign. The prin… hm, Xiaosi has requested I join him. I have agreed.” he says, his eye shut and his brows furrowed. 

 

There is utter silence for a few seconds. This even looks like news to Zheng Xiaosi who seems to be a part of this whole debacle; Lei Yirui guesses that he had asked previously and this is the first time hearing a proper answer. 

 

“Well, my advice was to relax, so I’m wondering if you should really be a scholar if your interpretation of that led you to join a military campaign.” Lei Yirui says. She surprises herself with how tight her voice sounds, and she belatedly realizes that she’s completely tense. Ah… she’s worried about him.

“That isn’t… no, I’m not finished, Meimei,” he begins, opening his eye again and staring on resolutely. “Xiaosi and I are set to leave in two weeks' time. Tomorrow, I will follow your advice, and I will take a vacation. You will come with me.” he says. 


… huh??? What?? A vacation?? Where? The Bahamas? New York City? Tokyo?? This isn’t what she meant, bro!!


“What.” says Lei Yirui flatly. Lei Shunyuan only looks more driven. 

 

“We are returning home. I will stay for a week, and I will allow myself to relax and will set aside all thoughts of my job and the war. And you… you will stay until the war is over and I know the palace will be safe for you again.” he says. 

 

Lei Yirui is… okay, honestly she’s a little stunned. There’s a lot to unpack there. First of all, she understands what home means. Home to a town she is not familiar with, and most alarmingly, a family she is not familiar with. Lei Yirui has deliberately avoided thinking about it, but she did not always live in this world, and has a family that she still loves deeply. She has a mother and father and they all have a small house that’s familiar though she only visits from her university every so often anymore. 

 

Lei Shunyuan is one thing; she had never had any siblings before, so it wasn’t hard to accept him as her caring older brother, and he’s become someone she truly loves. But she has a home, and she has parents. She doesn’t know how she feels about going to an unfamiliar place and calling unfamiliar faces mom and dad. 

 

Second of all, on a less serious note, Lei Yirui doesn’t want to disappear into this random non-canon setting!! The viewers of Limitless never heard anything about Lei Shunyuan’s home or background, and the action isn’t going to be happening there!! She’ll miss out, and there’s no Weibo to catch up on the latest news!!

 

Also, she has friends here!! Relationships!! A girlfriend!! She doesn’t just want to leave for an indefinite amount of time! 

 

“That doesn’t sound reasonable, bro. How can home be safer than the palace?? And… well, I’ve lived here for years, now. I don’t even know that returning home feels… right.” she says. 

 

“I’d rather you feel wrong than feel dead,” says Lei Shunyuan. Lei Yirui tries pouting at him, but winces when her finishing move earns her nothing but narrowed eyes. “Preferably do not try and manipulate me when we are having a serious conversation, Yirui.” he says. Lei Yirui cringes, and stares somewhat listlessly at the Go board; she supposes that is what she’s doing. In her defense, people keep falling for it and reinforcing her behavior!! Don’t blame her, okay??

 

Well… an adventure is an adventure, she supposes—and she also supposes that Lei Shunyuan is acting in her best interest. It could be worse. Plus… she has to think of the possibilities! New places to explore, a library that’s probably way more interesting, and maybe even a town she’s actually allowed to go out in! And new foods!! Suddenly rejuvenated, Lei Yirui shoots a crooked and unsure, but genuine smile towards her brother. His hard expression softens into surprise. 

 

“Alright. I understand.” she says softly. Lei Shunyuan’s entire countenance loosens, and he reaches over to cup Lei Yirui’s face gently, and she immediately tries to shoot up and run away when she realizes what happens. Why does he always insist on doing this in front of others??? She’s a grown woman!!! And they have company!!!

 

“No—Gege, stop—gah, you’re so embarrassing!!” she cries as he pulls her towards him and  presses a kiss to her cheek. When she finally pulls away from him, Jia Yuxing is giving her a sympathetic look. Ah, there’s nothing like the connection between two little siblings with affectionate older siblings….

 

“Eh hem,” Zheng Xiaosi says annoyingly, and when Lei Yirui looks over at him he’s rising from his seat. He looks a little bored with where the conversation has turned after they stopped talking about him. “As cute as this is, I’m afraid Lei Shunyuan has disappointed me by failing to mention his acceptance of my proposal until this very moment, and I’d like to speak to him about it.” Zheng Xiaosi says, giving Lei Shunyuan an agitated look. Lei Yirui suspects this is a front. After all, his hands are folded behind his back and he’s restlessly toying with his fingers, so she suspects he’s more happy about this than he’s letting on. 

 

“Of course, your highness. Though I ask that you do not call it a proposal.” Lei Shunyuan says, rising as well. Jia Yuxing grabs his cane and scrambles to join them. 

 

“Flustered, Shunyuan?” Zheng Xiaosi asks, immediately dropping the angry facade to grin at Lei Shunyuan, and Lei Yirui really thinks he looks like a snake. With those sharp eyes…. 

 

Lei Shunyuan gives him a dry look, before deciding to ignore that comment and shoot a brief glance at Lei Yirui. He must still see a little hesitation on her face, because a tiny smile pulls at his lips. 

 

“You should have your maids help you prepare your things. And… tell Jia Zhenzhen to pack for a long trip, as well.” he says, and when Lei Yirui jolts excitedly and a surprised smile crosses her face, his smile widens and his eyes curve into pleased crescents as he slips out of the room. 

 

Zheng Xiaosi follows him, Jia Yuxing trotting after him like a puppy.

“He did that on purpose. He’s just as mischievous as I am, you see, but he hides it behind that polite face.” she hears Zheng Xiaosi mutter conspiratorily to Jia Yuxing as they leave.

 

“Is… um, is that so, sir? He seems kind to me, sir…” Jia Yuxing says back. 

 

“You’ve fallen for it! You see, I know his true demeanor, as I….” and whatever Zheng Xiaosi says next isn’t audible to Lei Yirui as they’re getting too far away. Though she doesn’t miss Jia Yuxing’s alarmed shriek of, “I did not want nor need to know that, your highness!!” just a few seconds later. She could take a few guesses, but for her own sanity, she’s going to refrain. 

 

Because—ah, she’s excited!! The prospect of exploring what is apparently her home town with Jia Zhenzhen is more important!! 

 

Lei Yirui fawns to herself for a little while, and is still jittery with anticipation when she finally focuses back on Ren Wenqian, who is staring thoughtfully at the door. After a moment, she sharply turns her head to Lei Yirui, a sharp smile on her face and the bells in her hair ringing prettily with the motion. 

 

“They’re sleeping together, right? The prince and your brother?” she asks, and Lei Yirui snorts. 

 

“Absolutely.” she responds, and the two girls burst into giggles for a while. 

 

“I don’t suppose you want to keep playing Go?” Ren Wenqian asks after they relax, wiggling her brows. Lei Yirui groans, running a hand down her face. 

 

“Not at all. You’re undefeatable. Let’s find Meng Ai and drag her to Uncle Hu so we can eat some fruit and gossip.” she says. Ren Wenqian beams, and the two scramble to their feet, hooking their arms around each other and laughing to themselves as they rush off to find the woman. 

 

 

 

 

On the day of their departure, Lei Yirui is viscerally reminded of when she left for university. Please stop crying, Ren Wenqian!! You too, Jia Yuxing!! It’s getting ridiculous!! Even Hu Peng looks a little emotional!

 

“You packed all of your oils? And what about that dress I made you, you haven’t forgotten that, correct? Write to us as soon as you get there so we know you arrived safe. Jia Zhenzhen, do you have your brush set? Lei Shunyuan, that really is a ridiculous amount of scrolls and books for a vacation…” is what Meng Ai has been going on and on about for the past two hours, and Lei Yirui is startled by how much she sounds like her mom. It had been, Oh, Yirui, don’t forget your toothbrush! Bring your high school textbooks, you don’t know when they’ll come in handy!! Bring all of your winter coats and boots! What do you mean you don’t want to bring your NEX7 poster?

 

Lei Yirui is kind of losing her mind, but all of their luggage is already in the designated carriage, and Lei Shunyuan has dismissed the fussing with a soft smile and is leaning out of the curtains of his own carriage, speaking quietly with Zheng Xiaosi. They both look pretty intense, and Lei Yirui is trying to ignore them.

 

Jia Zhenzhen is looking a little lost, her hand awkwardly placed on Jia Yuxing’s head as he sobs and buries his head in her shoulder, refusing to release her from the hug he’s trapped her in. Jia Zhenzhen is wearing her hair down for once, some of it pulled back with simple metal pins, and she’s wearing several layers of black, white, and red clothing, though it’s all very plain. Lei Yirui still kind of wants to jump on her though, since she looks hot… always, basically. 

 

When they all finally say their goodbye’s and the three carriages are off, Lei Yirui hangs out of the window of her and Jia Zhenzhen’s, waving widely to the others gathered outside, and Jia Zhenzhen’s hand remains tightly on her dress as she does so in order to prevent Lei Yirui from falling out like an idiot. 

 

When the others are out of vision, Lei Yirui allows herself to tumble back inside, the curtain falling closed as she falls into a sitting position. Her face is locked into a smile she’s unable to lose. Jia Zhenzhen, now sure that Lei Yirui won’t eat shit and get her head crushed under a wheel, turns to picking at the basket of pastries Hu Peng had given them before they left.

 

“I’m pretty sad to leave, but I’m excited about the trip!! I’ve been living in the palace for so long that I bet it’ll feel like a whole new place for me.” she says. Jia Zhenzhen grunts, and speaks up after a few moments of silence. 

 

“I’m not entirely fond of the palace. Besides, I’ve essentially been fired from my position as a guard now that they’re aware of my sex. It’s nice to let go of that uncertainty of my own presence. I was worried that they may have sent me away, but I suppose our close relationship prevented that.” she says.

 

“Think you’ll like my home?” Lei Yirui asks, and Jia Zhenzhen frowns. 

 

“Probably not,” she says bluntly, and Lei Yirui wheezes. Jia Zhenzhen gives her a wary glance. “Well, you’re from a wealthy and influential family. I feel uneasy about that.” she says. Lei Yirui softens, and moves over to sit next to Jia Zhenzhen, who goes ramrod straight at Lei Yirui’s presence, gah— she’s so cute!! 

 

Lei Yirui laughs, and lies down, setting her head on Jia Zhenzhen’s lap. 

 

“You don’t have to be so tense. It’s me!!” she says, and Jia Zhenzhen deliberately relaxes, and Lei Yirui hums in pleasant surprise when Jia Zhenzhen’s hand hesitantly rises to pet Lei Yirui’s head. They’re quiet for a while, and Lei Yirui could really have fallen asleep right there, but she’s content to stare at Jia Zhenzhen’s pretty face. 

 

“You know,” Lei Yirui says suddenly after being lost in her thoughts for a while, and the nostalgic tone clearly surprises Jia Zhenzhen, who furrows her brows at Lei Yirui. “I used to have shorter hair. It only fell a bit past my shoulders, but I’ve always had bangs. I had some ridiculous blunt ones up until I was around 12, but I finally managed to grow out my hair and get some more stylish see-through bangs. I had glasses, and I’d always thought they made me look silly until I got some fashionable wire ones. I used to be very thin, too. I mean, I suppose I’m still rather skinny, but I was so bony. My friend Dai Rong was the one with the admirable figure. I always looked a bit average, but it never bothered me. I was just… me, you know?” she says. 

 

Jia Zhenzhen is quiet for a long while. Lei Yirui, as close as she is to Jia Zhenzhen, has hardly opened up to the others here about certain things on her mind.


“You’ve mentioned this Dai Rong girl in the past. Will I meet her on this trip?” she asks. Lei Yirui laughs softly. 

 

“No. No, she’s not… here.” Lei Yirui says, just as softly. Jia Zhenzhen must come to a conclusion about what Lei Yirui means by that, because her expression turns serious and sympathetic. 

 

Reminiscing?” Jia Zhenzhen asks simply. Lei Yirui nods. 

 

“Just thinking about home. It’s all so different now.” Lei Yirui says. Jia Zhenzhen’s gaze is starting to turn pretty concerned, and Lei Yirui realizes that she sounds uncharacteristically depressed. Honestly? She isn’t. As hectic as things have been, she hardly has the time to think, and it feels rather cathartic to talk about her old life.

 

Lei Yirui smiles at Jia Zhenzhen, sitting up and placing a kiss on her cheek. Jia Zhenzhen turns pink, but her concern doesn’t fade away. Lei Yirui smiles a little deviously at her. 

 

“Ever played rock paper scissors?” she asks abruptly. Jia Zhenzhen blinks a few times, and her concern quickly fades into confusion. 

 

“No? I don’t… play games, and I’ve never heard of that one before.” she says unsurely, eyeing Lei Yirui’s hands suspiciously as she raises them into position.

“I’ll teach you. Watch yourselfno one has ever beat me in rock paper scissors before.” Lei Yirui says. Jia Zhenzhen’s gaze suddenly lightens up in a passionate fire, and her expression turns into a deadly serious one Lei Yirui had seen a million times in Limitless. Both Lei Yirui’s fangirl and loving girlfriend's hearts go insane. 

 

“We’ll see about that.” Jia Zhenzhen says, tone severe as she intensely mimics Lei Yirui’s hand position.

25