Chapter 14 – The Call
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kidu was the first in the grappling room. He took his shoes off and walked barefoot on the gray slate and then onto the floor mat. He knelt by the hanging scriptures until the Peers started streaming in. A few Augurers followed, with several lower monks. When they saw Kidu kneeling on the mat, they did the same. 

Timlan took his place beside Kidu. “I’m not sure what happened. I heard that Menquist is taking over as the new Father. Is that true?”

“I’m not so sure myself.”

Kidu counted. There were thirteen Peers. Of course it was Guren, the giant who was not among them. Then he poked his head through the entrance. 

“Make room for Master, everyone.”

The Peers scooted over, making an area in the middle of the floor mat. Rengu walked in with his orange cloak gathered close to him. He walked to the altar at the north side of the room and said a silent prayer. 

Menquist followed and didn’t bother removing his shoes. He handed his staff to the first monk he saw. 

"Welcome back, old friend," Rengu said to Menquist when he was finished with his prayer. “You definitely don’t arrive in quiet. As you can see the Peers remain on your side. There are not many of us left, but we stand with you, Menquist.  I am deep with sorrow for you about Mazi."

"And I for you," Menquist said, placing his hand on Rengu's shoulder.  "I know he was like a son to you, and you were in your way like a father to him.  Truly, the only father he ever knew.” “

He turned to all the monks in the room. “The dead is buried, but we need not continue to bury him with our grief lest we bury ourselves with him.  We focus now on the cause before us."

"Yes, old friend," Rengu nodded.  He waved his hand to summon Kidu.

"Blessings of the Five upon you," Kidu bowed from where he kneeled.

“This is silly,” Menquist motioned to everyone. “Stand, all of you.”

Kidu waited until all others rose before he stood himself. 

"You, my dear boy," Menquist smiled, taking Kidu's hand in his.  "It has been three years since I've seen you.  You must have grown a foot."

Kidu smiled in return.  "I haven't grown an inch, Menquist.  But you actually look younger than I remember."

"You've always been this tall?" Menquist examined him.  "Have you passed your exams?"

Kidu shook his head.

"You know the rules, Menquist,” Rengu said. “He has to be a Peer to leave the islands. Only the Venerable Father can grant him leave of the islands without being a Peer.”

Menquist grinned. “Then you will grant him leave when I name you the Father of the Scales, won't you?  Listen everyone. I know today’s announcement was abrupt. But Master Rengu had spoken to all of you…well most of you…about the urgency of this.”

Kidu glanced at all the Peers, and none of them looked as surprised or lost as he was. 

“I plan to leave before morning,” Menquist continued. “Belgred—that’s the fellow that came with me—has already drafted the necessary papers in the declaration of your succession.  When the papers are filed with the crown, Father Qizen will be retired and Master Rengu will become the new Abbot. I trust that you will coordinate the movement of the remaining Peers and any able bodied SanKai to follow me shortly.  I must go on ahead as my objective has been accomplished here. I will travel light and fast.  Belgred will come with me of course, as well as a very able Seordmeister from the Capital.  With the mountain folk behind bars you should be free from some worry now, at least.  The Kiennese envoy will remain here and accompany your men to avoid trouble at the Withings."

"I will be sending Peers by ship to Sundersport," Rengu said.  "Those criminals hiding in the Withings best avoid us."

“Are there any questions?” Menquist started. “No, ignore that. I’m sure you have quite a bit of questions. Be at the ready. The Peers are among the greatest fighting force in service to all the realms. When the tide of war breaks upon the rocks, you will turn that tide. Now you know what is needed of you. Prepare for departure in the coming days.”

The Peers hooted in acknowledgment and disbanded to their quarters. 

"Why was I not included in the plans?" Kidu asked Rengu and Menquist. “Am I to stay behind?”

“Stay behind?” Menquist laughed. 

“The plans are for the Peers, not for you,” Rengu said. 

“Then I truly don’t understand.”

“My boy, you are leaving with me in the morning,” Menquist said. “Come, pack light. There is a council in Lanfrydhall that awaits our attendance.”

"Menquist, Brandarm remains at large," Rengu said.  "I cannot afford every one of our Peers until Brandarm is caught or has left this land."

Menquist nodded.  "Keep a couple behind. You choose."

"And what of Brandarm's men, in our prison?" Kidu asked.  "You did invoke the King's Right after all. Is their request for asylum still forfeit?"

"Kidu, we are due to attend a council to discuss matters of safety for all the kingdoms," Menquist said.  "We are going to be late unless we can strip ourselves of the burden of bringing a caravan of refugees down the Vale back to the capitol.  Master Rengu, do to them as you see fit, after we depart. If you want to bring them with you, I’ll leave that to your wisdom.”

Menquist seemed satisfied and tugged at his beard. He turned to walk out the door. 

“I can’t go,” Kidu said. 

“What do you mean by can’t?” Menquist snapped, annoyed for having to turn around. 

“I am no Peer. I have not proven myself. I know of the stories of when you used to travel the world with Master Rengu by your side. But I am not Master Rengu. I…I lack his faith. I am not ready.”

“Boy, I am not ready,” Menquist’s voice grew angry. “Rengu is not ready. The Eastern kingdoms are not ready. This is why we go. We go because we have no time to be ready.”

Kidu bowed. “Apologies, Menquist. Then if I truly have no choice, I beg a favor if it does not offend you."

"I’ll decide if it offends me. What is it?" Menquist asked.

"Kienne has always received Peers in service to the kingdom," Kidu answered, "but by tradition the Peers were always accompanied by our lower monks. I know I am no Peer but I ask that you allow the tradition to continue.  We are the historians of the known world.  I only ask that I may bring Timlan with me so that he may serve in the libraries of Lanfrydhall. It’s all he has ever dreamed about.”

Menquist agreed.  "This is perfect. You will learn responsibility for others. Yes, he may come. He will not have much notice, for we leave before daybreak on the next ship to Sundersport."

"Come, Kidu," Rengu said, tugging at his arm. “I'll help you pack."

They left the hall and avoided crowds until they reached Kidu's chambers at the far end of the compound. Kidu’s chambers were messy with clothes unfolded and books scattered on his desk. Rengu ran his fingers against the books on bookshelf until he found the Book of Five, a modest black book bound by five rings. 

“I know these pages have never illuminated you in the way you had hoped they would,” Rengu said, holding the book between his palms. “Enlightenment may still find you, if you give it more time. Remember what the Water Chapter says.  Knowledge of the world comes from learning something new everyday, but wisdom of the world comes from letting go of what you've learned.  Let go of who you are so you can become what you might be.  Keep this with you and let its presence serve as a reminder of home, and let that comfort you when you are far away."

"My comfort comes in knowing you taught me well."

Rengu smiled and handed the book to Kidu.  “Tomorrow is Firstday, you know.”

Kidu nodded.  “There are seven young men and women attending. I’ve met them. It's the biggest group we’ve had join the House in a single Firstday.”

“Young men and women?” Rengu chuckled.  “Boys and girls are more like it.  I’ll be sitting in the chamber in my gold and black robe brushing ashes onto their foreheads hoping the initiation rituals don't scare them off.”

“We will still have a Firstday? With all this turmoil?”

“Of course, tradition is what calms the turmoil,” Rengu said. “I remember your Firstday like it was today.  Twenty years ago you came to me.  Your father could not take care of you.  The House normally does not take children, much less a baby.  We require that those seeking to join the House to freely submit themselves to the order of the gods, to willfully seek salvation.  When troubled or orphaned children are sent to us, we find surrogate families for them.  But then you came to me.  You clung to your father like it was the only person in the world you trusted. Instead of giving you away to a surrogate family, I knew we could be your family and raise you within our walls.  I could never be your father, but I treated you as I think your father would have."

"You remember him? My father? You have never talked about my father before, Master," Kidu said.  "I have long suppressed any thought of my trueborn parents."

"I remember him, but not speaking about him is for the best," Rengu said.  "The mainland is a very large place. Part of a larger continent. Your journey may take you to every corner of Lower Gaia. I wish I knew all that is in store for you, but with Menquist no one truly knows.  Trust first your instincts, but there are those with whom you can also place your trust.  There is a man in the Capital, the steward of Lanfrydhall, that you can trust.  Menquist will tell you of him.  I'm sure there are more.  Trust in Menquist above all.”

The Master began to mouth some words but seemed uncertain.  "Are you alright?" Kidu asked.

Rengu removed his black glass-beaded necklace, held it next to his lips and whispered a prayer.  "Take this," he said, handing the necklace to Kidu.  "I am alright.  I don't know when I will see you again my dear boy.  I'm far too old to ride to the south like in the old days.  I wish I had done more to prepare you, and you could enter the Kiennese court as a proper Peer.  When your brothers catch up to you, know that while you do not have the title, you truly are one of them.  Ready yourself for the journey, my son, and may fate guide you in ways I could not."


0