Chapter 21 – The Four Peers
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Runner turned out to be a swift trade-cog.  With the fortunate trade winds, the crew of the Runner were able to pass the Strait of Airril in eleven days time into the Sea of Firgan where they could reach Lanfrydhall on the twelfth.  Kidu had learned to steer a ship by then. 

There was a single dock at the Capitol, called the Kingsport.  The city itself sat atop a mountain, and the cliff facing the sea was a sheer granite wall.  There were small windows along the wall for the prisons, called the Black Boxes, beneath the city that were tunneled into the mountain. It was rumored that the ancient labyrinth of tunnels built by Ronyn the Builder was so massive that it rivaled the number of city streets of Lanfrydhall itself. 

The Runner docked at Kingsport, met by a unit of city guards at the dock and a handful of archers perched on a terrace along the sheer wall.  Menquist was the first to disembark, setting the city guard at ease.  The perched archers released the tension from their bows.  Kidu and Timlan disembarked next, followed by Arthero dragging Pidric with bandages wrapped around his hands.  At the end of the dock approached a chestnut haired statesman with a closely cropped beard.  He wore a black and green quilted jacket and cloak and leaned heavily on a cane while he walked. The younger man behind him wore a white and green surcoat. 

"Edmon," Menquist greeted the statesman.  "You should not have walked all this way. Apologies for not sending word.  We've decided to arrive by boat."

"Welcome home, Menquist," Edmon said, shaking his hand and addressing the others.  "I am Edmon, Steward of Lanfrydhall for our King Gordyn the Fourth of the Unified Kingdom of Kienne.  This is my page Gerold.  We received word from Airrilden that you had crossed the strait, to my surprise that you did not take the Vale Road through the Withings.  I see nothing wrong with arrival by sea, but I take it you didn't pick up a few barrels of wine from the Vale?"

"I brought you a different gift.  Five hundred sacks of bat droppings!"

"What vintage is it?" Edmon asked. 

Menquist laughed.  "We did pick up a souvenir for you," he said, motioning to Arthero's prisoner.

"Pidric, son of the Baron Visant," Edmon said, examining the prisoner.  "Though he is the less sadistic of the twins, he would find a good home in the Black Boxes.  Looks like he's in no shape to sign any confessions soon.  Let's walk and discuss our current circumstance."

"There are about a dozen more on the ship, bound," Arthero said.  "Visant's men, all of them.  Do you want me to take them all to the Black Boxes?"

“The Black Boxes seem a little too harsh for the crew,” Edmon said. “You take Pidric to the Boxes, and I’ll have the guards take the rest.”

Arthero bowed and took his leave of the party and escorted Pidric away. 

Edmon led Menquist and the two monks to the end of the dock and entered a lift.  Gerold shut the door to the lift and spun a wheel once for the lift to take them to the top.  As they rose there was an unobstructed view of the single dock jutting out into the dark waters of the bay. 

"Why are there no ships?" Timlan asked. 

"You're our new librarian?  There is no boarding in Lanfrydhall, save for the King's vessels or those on official crown business," Edmon said.  "Our navy is gathered at the eastern sea at Airrilden, our trade ships dock to the north in the Portlands, and our armed forces are stationed west in Ronynhall. Here is the south sea, there really isn’t a needed for a port of our own. Plus our sheer walls are a deterrent to anyone looking to seize the Capital by way of sea."

When they reached the top they exited the lift and walked onto a parkway that had a path climbing up to a white columned castle with multiple towers, belfries and lanterns topped with pale green spires.

"Gentlemen, welcome to Lanfrydhall," Edmon said.  

The afternoon sunlight bounced off the white walls and the white flags with the green trim of Kienne snapped in the high wind.  Bronze statues of various kings and famous warriors surrounded the castle. 

"I did not know such a place could exist," Kidu said. "The Capital is far more beautiful than I imagined.  It is like parts of a dream were taken and brought to reality."

A carriage waited for them.  Edmon climbed in first. The carriage led them up the path toward the castle. "Wasn’t always like this. The Civil War destroyed everything. The territories were lost, and even the ancient castles were destroyed by warlords.  After Kienne regained stability and the warlords were removed from power, the rebuilding began."  Edmon rapped his cane against the driver's seat.  They paused at a marble statue of an old bearded man with thick arms, folded and seated. By his feet were his sword and shield, and on his lap was a hammer.  "Ronyn the Builder built the high wall against the sea, and this castle.  He rebuilt the roads that the ancient Arkromenyons used to connect the kingdoms."

"Which Ronyn was this?" Timlan whispered to Kidu as they continued toward the castle. 

"The eleventh."

Edmon rapped his cane again and the carriage continued.  They wound through the garden still barren from winter.  As they approached the great double doors of the castle, two guards bearing swords and trumpets saluted.  They walked into a large hall with an elevated platform at the end that sat on top of at least a dozen steps.  On either side the throne were more staircases that led to the second floor balconies.  Above the throne was a giant circular stained glass window of a an archer riding a horse.  Duglas was in the center of the hall, waiting. 

"This is my master-at-arms, Duglas," Edmon said. "Master Kidu, he will take you and your companion to your quarters.  I hope you find your quarters to your liking.  A while ago we remodeled a wing of our quarters to resemble the build and architecture of our visitors.  Given that the Knights of the Scales are always among us, we have paid special attention to the details of how you live in your Houses.  There are emissaries to whom Menquist and I need to give our attention now.  I will summon you in the morning."

Edmon and Menquist disappeared through one of the doors.  "You are on the other side," Duglas directed Kidu and Timlan through another passageway.

"You are not a Knight yet, is this correct?" Duglas asked. 

“A Knight?” Kidu asked. 

“It’s what we call you from the Scales.”

"Ah. We call ourselves Peers, except no, I’m not one yet. I know this is uncommon."

"Kidu is not a common SanKai," Timlan added. 

They walked through a corridor leading to outlying quarters.  "No offense meant," Duglas explained.  "I'm certain Master Kidu is a monk of exceptional quality from your House.  I'm only trying to ascertain that quality that brought him here to replace Master Mazi."

"I'm not here to replace Master Mazi."

Duglas stopped at a heavy wooden door banded with iron.  His face was still and silent as he looked at Kidu in the candlelight.  He opened the door.  "And yet, at all times, there must be five.  You will find some of your kinsmen here."  Duglas turned and left. 

Kidu walked into the room and saw four SanKai dressed in black seated at a round table, with a fifth chair empty.  The room was simple and undecorated.  It did remind Kidu of home.  The four stood up at the sight of Kidu.  "Masters Norbu, Sornam, Yenzin, Robjen," Kidu greeted them, clasping their hands. 

"Kidu e'Rengu, welcome to the Capitol," Robjen said.  "It has been quite a few years since I've been home.  You seem to have grown half a foot."

"Aye, half a foot taller," Yenzin agreed, "but no less greener."

"I cannot disguise my surprise when the Herald said his intentions were to return with you," Sornam admitted. "A fine warrior you are, Kidu, but our laws are longstanding.  Only a Peer may leave the Scales to serve the kingdom as one of the Five."

"Menquist has claimed Kidu through King's Right," Timlan clarified. 

Sornam walked up to Timlan.  "Where do you think you are?  You think you're back at school, talking to the other students?  Do you think you are allowed to talk back to a Peer without permission?"

Timlan glanced at the other Peers, but no one moved to help.  Kidu thought about stepping in, before everyone burst into laughter. 

Sornam embraced Timlan. "We are most joyed to have you!"

"Forgive us for our childishness," Norbu said, putting his arm around Kidu.  "This is how we greet all our kinsmen."

"I was the newest here," Yenzin said.  "This was how Mazi greeted me, so it has been a tradition for us."

"I remember watching you in the Solstice games," Timlan said.  "You always won at the obstacle course contests."

"Ah yes, freeing myself from shackles, leaping from tree to tree, climbing over the spinning wheel," Yenzin smiled.  "I was good at the knife throwing contests as well.  These days I do most of my leaping from book to book, and any throwing I do are my eyes at the written histories of the continent.  Young acolyte, you will enjoy Lanfrydhall's library."

"Master Yenzin," Kidu said, "you spend most of your time here, in the city reading?  I thought the point of passing your exams and becoming a Peer meant you were exempt from any more studying.  Now I'll never be convinced of being a Peer.”

Norbu scratched his chin.  “Not the best use of our talents, I agree.  We used to be more active, especially when King Gordyn had his health.  Yenzin used to chase criminals across Kienne before he started chasing words across pages.  Now, we sometimes serve as the city watch, other times we act as messengers.  We often wonder if our value is properly appreciated.  The four of us spend most of our time here, except for several errands to Ronynhall or Airrilden.  We've mentioned as much to the Steward, Edmon.  He seems to understand our people, and he tries to utilize us how he can.  I'm assuming you are taking Mazi's place, traveling abroad with Menquist."

"May I?" Kidu motioned to the empty fifth chair.

"He was never here anyway," Sornam said. 

Kidu sat on the heavy chair.  "I don't know what Menquist has planned, or why he brought me from the Scales with him.  I've wanted to leave the Scales my entire life and see the world just as Master Rengu did.  But seeing you all has already made me miss home more than I had expected.”

Norbu placed his hand on Kidu's shoulder. "If anyone has a plan, it's Menquist.  I suppose we'll find out tomorrow.  There's to be an important meeting, and everyone's been waiting for you.  We'll have our supper, then take your boy to the library to acquaint him to his duties.  I have to say...seeing you does make me miss home also."

They had a simple supper of curried potatoes and pickled vegetables as they sat together around the table. They shared stories from home and of their travels but they remained quiet whenever the stories led to Mazi.  When they finished supping, they visited the library but Kidu remained behind to meditate, holding Rengu's black glass necklace and reading from the Book of Five. 

That night he laid in a bed that was the softest he had ever been on, but he couldn't sleep.  He laid on a mat on the floor and listened to his kinsmen sleep through the night.  He placed the Book of Five on his chest and retraced every day since that day when he climbed the mountain and met the hermit.  He wrote a poem in his head about all the events until he fell asleep. 

0