Chapter 30 – The Hovels
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was a full moon and the streets were brightly lit. Little Tim adjusted his collar and fastened the top button of his dark blue coat, waiting for Big Tim’s approval to start the wagon. When Big Tim nodded, Little Tim picked up the reins and made a clicking sound with his mouth to start the horses.

Little Tim’s shoulder were shrugged against his neck and his upper body was tense as he leaned forward. 

“You’re doing fine,” Big Tim said to the boy. “Relax.”

“What’s the matter?” Perenenda asked. 

“It’s nothing, really,” Little Tim said, biting his lip. 

“He just started driving not too long ago,” Big Tim smiled. 

“Is it hard?” she asked Little Tim. 

“Trying to make sure no one dies from crashing?” Little Tim asked. “Yes, it actually is.”

“No one’s dying from crashing,” Big Tim said. “At least not when we’re aboard. You can do that when you’re alone.”

Little Tim pulled the wagon out from behind the Plump Plum and onto the main street. There were almost as many people on the street as there were at the tavern. Food vendors, lantern sellers, musicians looking for pennies—Perenenda hadn’t seen this sight before. She glanced at the boy and saw that he was focused only on the road ahead, not at the lively surroundings.

They rode down the western road for a while without speaking. She soaked in the blur of the movement on the street, the rumbling of the wagon wheels, and the savory smells of the night. 

"Where are you from?" Perenenda eventually asked. 

"Not too far from the other side of the Southern Marches," Big Tim said. 

“Why did you come?”

“It was hard enough to make a living on the other side.  Tim and I figured we'd try our luck here in the south.  There's been good bits and bad bits but the best part of this country is the weather.  It's always sunny, and feels like a vacation."  He smiled back at her.

“I noticed your son writing earlier,” she said.  “It is uncommon for children to know how to write in our country, unless you are of noble blood.  Is it common on the other side of the Southern Marches?”

“Not as common as it should be, I suppose,” Big Tim said.  “Little Tim and I come from a part of Kienne where it is less uncommon, I'd say. Rather, it’s expected to be able to read and write.”

"And have you spent all your time in Nathamaket, or have you tried your luck throughout the different territories of Neredun?" she asked. 

Big Tim lit a pipe. “We've been up and down this country, in this crickety rickshaw. We’ve seen a few territories, but all the signs for a decent living brought us here. You want a name for yourself, go to the king’s territory of Nathamaket, they said. Then when you’re there, make your way to Salvasing, the biggest city in Nathamaket. So we did, not knowing what to expect.”

“You took a risk for a better life for you and your boy,” Perenenda said. “There’s honor in taking such risks. To venture out into the unknown.”

“I will say it's quite the risk you're taking yourself, my lady," Big Tim said. “You are, after all, going to the very place where harm to you is being planned."

"Except now I'm going in with a plan of my own," she replied.

"Fair enough," Big Tim nodded. 

They rode on, continuing in their smalltalk. The streets were narrow and the was less cheer from the night walkers. The vendors were scarce, and there were no more smells of food. Little Tim brought them to the section of the city that Big Tim had called the Hovels.  The roads were unpaved and uneven, and the buildings were made from rough hewn unsmoothed wooden planks with thatched roofs.  They passed by a portion of a river where several people were taking an evening bath.  Others were wrapped in blankets sleeping on the side of buildings. 

"I imagine you've haven't seen this part of the city, my lady," Little Tim said. “We don’t like passing by here. Every territory has something like the Hovels, but it’s the worst in Salvasing.”

"No I haven't seen this place before," Perenenda said.  “Every view from my father's palace is manicured.  My father made sure that I would never see a dirty thing from my view in the castle.  Now that I have seen these slums I can see what would drive someone mad with want.  Betrayal must feel like a small price to pay in the face of overwhelming want.  I almost pity Kerati and Natida.”

"Betrayal is still betrayal," Big Tim said. "It doesn't matter how much you have if your heart burns with that feeling of want.  Pity those who do everything that is asked of them yet still have basic need, but pity not those two."

The wagon stopped in front of a courtyard with makeshift walls.  A larger building with three stories stood behind those walls with most of the windows open and  lit.  Men and women milled about on the street.  "This is the place my lady," Big Tim said. “This is where I was supposed to deliver you.”

"Return your wage to me, sir," she said. 

Big Tim looked at Little Tim, then dug into his pockets and gave the princess the six silver coins. 

Perenenda approached an old woman carrying a bundle of textiles and gave her a silver.  The old woman dropped the bundle and began thanking her.  The commotion attracted others and she started handing out the remaining silvers until there was a small crowd. 

"My people of Nathamaket," she said, pulling her hood back and standing on the wagon, "I am the princess Perenenda, daughter of the mighty Sword of the Sunrise King Burulgi, commander of the Neredun army twenty thousand strong. I am here to ease your suffering. I am here to speak with the man named Kerati. Tell me where he is. I will guarantee your safety when the King’s guards storm these streets.”

The crowd pointed toward the building. Little Tim helped Perenenda step down from the wagon.

“Kerati owes the crown more silver,” Perenenda continued. “Come with me to collect and I shall share the collection with you."

Perenenda and the two Tims entered the courtyard with twenty people, most of whom were merely curious.  "Kerati!  I am Perenenda, daughter of the king!  I stand before you with a company of my own!  I know of your plot of kidnap and betrayal!  Come meet with me!"

There was a quiet pause. Little Tim took a small rock and threw it at one of the second story windows. After his third stone, others started joining in. 

Natida opened the door and peeked out. "Princess?"  The door opened wider and a slender young shirtless man with curly dark hair and a pointed beard stood next to her. 

"The king knows of your plot," Perenenda said.  "His Royal Guard is on their way to raze this building to the ground."

Natida screamed.  "My princess it was him!  He forced me into helping him!"

"Return what you took from me and when the guard comes I shall have them return to the palace," Perenenda said. “Fail and there will be nothing I can do to stop the king’s will.”

Kerati snapped his fingers and three ruffians appeared behind him.  "Where are the rest of you?" he asked Big Tim. “I paid for a dozen men.”

Big Tim shrugged his shoulders.  "You heard the princess.  The Royal Guard has had a busy night."

"Grab her," Kerati ordered his men.  "We can still use her as a hostage."

The three men rushed to grab the princess.  As the first man reached for her, Big Tim seized the man's wrist, twisted it until the man screamed in pain and threw him down.  Then in one motion he kicked the kneecap of one man and struck the nose of the other with his palm and all three were on the ground.  Kerati ran back into the building.  Big Tim watched for a moment.  He then took two strides up the side of the building and leapt in through an open second floor window. 

“He can do that?” Perenenda asked. 

“Do you remember when he said that he scolded those men who were hired to kidnap you?” Little Tim asked in return. “That he gave their ears a little twist? Well he did a little more than that.”

Perenenda heard shouting from inside and looked at Little Tim, who shrugged.

“What little more did he do?” she asked. 

“You’ll see.”

Two men flew out of the second floor windows. There was more shouting and a chair flew out of the window. Big Tim poked his head out. 

“Did that hit anyone?” he asked. “Sorry.”

Big Tim slipped back in from the window. 

“And what business are you in?” Perenenda asked. 

“We sell dyes,” Little Tim said. “We create dyes from native plants and sell them, mostly to merchants.”

Kerati flew out of one of the third story windows, landing on one of his men.

“Excuse me, my lady,” Little Tim said. He walked over to the wincing men. 

Kerati growled at his men to get out of the way, and when he tried to rise, Little Tim stepped on his chest.

“You should stay put.”

Natida brought out a satchel and handed it to the princess.  "This is what he took!  It was all his plan, I had to obey him or he would have hurt me! He spent some of your money but most of it is there.”

Big Tim came out of the front door and placed his hand on Natida's shoulder.  Natida began to cry. 

"Shame!" someone shouted.

“Punish them all!” another added. 

“Send them to the Royal Guards!”

"No, this is enough,” Perenenda said. “Tim, help them up.”

Little Tim pulled Kerati up. His face was bruised and his hair was disheveled over his face. 

“I will allow you to live if you leave the city now," Perenenda said.  "The Royal Guard will be hunting you through every corner of Neredun.  Natida, you too are banished, and now he knows how easily you have given him up to save yourself.  Now go."

Kerati and Natida helped the three other fallen men to their feet. “My lady, I have nowhere to go. You are my family.”

“I wish that were true,” Perenenda said. “You promised me an army. Instead you used my coin and bought kidnappers.”

“I’m going to survive,” Kerati said. “The Hovels is mine.”

Big Tim squeezed Kerati’s collarbone until he screamed. “The lady was nice to you.”

“Go now else I will change my mind,” Perenenda said, turning away. 

Kerati shushed the sobbing Natida and pulled on her arm as they hobbled away. 

“I wonder if that’s a good idea, just letting them go,” Little Tim said. 

“There’s a great lesson here,” Big Tim said. “Yes, letting them go may mean they return to foul deeds. But they may also simply be better people. Not letting them go means they’ll never have that chance.”

Perenenda handed the satchel of coins to Little Tim. "Hand out one silver coin to each man or woman who witnessed this.  And keep six for each of you.  You both are hired.”

“Hired?” Little Tim asked. “Hired for what?”

“You will now take me to Kienne."

0