Chapter 56 – The Triad
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The border between Neredun, the Soot, and Kienne was known as the Red Triad, as it was the site of so many bloody battles. Here the three kingdoms were joined in an intersecting road that was in sight of a mountain from each kingdom.

From Neredun, the Noon Star Mountain with the Blood Perch provided Lord Laninilor an unobstructed view of the road. Though Laninilor himself rarely descended from his castle, it was known the influence he held on the Triad with the second largest army after King Burulgi himself. The Lanin forces were often seen as the unofficial border guard, something that Lord Laninilor took special pride in, especially when his colors were the first thing visitors saw entering Neredun.

From the Soot, there was the black rocky crag called the Shadow Bluff, a sheer sided mountain that jutted perpendicularly from the valley below. There were a handful of caves carved into the sheer side of the mountain to serve as the first line of defense. These caves were attached to trolleys that allowed the Ash Men to travel between the various peaks of the Iron and Ash Mountains, and also directly to New Berenhall where King Gorrick held his court from the clouds. 

From Kienne, the nearest peak jutted from the mountain range called the Southern Marches. The huffiest peak overseeing the Red Triad was called the Gray Rise. Unlike the peaks in Neredun and the Soot, the Gray Rise served little tactical purpose for defenses and hosted only those looking to climb the mountain for adventuring purposes, a practice that at times was frowned upon as Neredun always took it as acts of encroaching upon its borders. 

The Ash Men heavily guarded their stone and iron gate, and when Perenenda approached the Red Triad, over forty soldiers in boiled leather armor formed a line at the border. They stomped the butts of their lances on the ground as they approached. 

Big Tim accompanied Perenenda toward the line of soldiers. A knight in full plate armor strode forward to intercept them before they could go further. The knight stood still, grasping his lance without saying a word.

Big Tim bowed before the knight. “Before you is her grace Perenenda of the Burul House. We are part of her envoy.”

The knight did not budge nor say a word. 

“Greetings to the heroes of the Soot,” Perenenda said. 

The knight remained silent. The lowered visor of his helm masked any type of observable reaction.

“We are on our way to Kienne,” she continued. “We have no business in the Soot.”

The knight stomped his lance on the ground twice, and the gate creaked open enough for the forty soldiers to slip through before the gate was shut again. It was then completely quiet. 

The Kiennese border was easy enough to pass. There was no gate but only a short watchtower. A handful of guards dressed in green uniforms marched out to greet Perenenda.

“I would think there would more guards at the border,” Xaykansam noted. 

“Don’t be deceived,” Big Tim said. “Kienne is never worried about being invaded.”

“You’re from this kingdom,” Perenenda said to Big Tim. “You’ve had several Conquerors pass through these borders. Everyone else should be worried about being invaded.”

“Like I said, Kienne is never worried,” Big Tim said. “Here comes the guard.”

“Greetings to our neighbor from the south,” the guard saluted. “I am Davyid of the Border Guard. Who leads this large host?”

“I am Perenenda, daughter to King Burulgi of Neredun, wife to the General Sarengerel, and leader of this host.”

Davyid exchanged glances with the other guard. “Your Grace, we are not equipped to receive nobility. If you had sent word, we could have prepared an escort.”

“She has an escort,” Kamfongil snapped. 

“Well, yes, and it’s a fairly large one,” Davyid said. “What is the business of such numbers coming into our border?”

Xaykansam stepped forward. “You acknowledged her Grace. Do you think she needs to answer to you? Our business is our own.”

“That’s…not something I can work with,” Davyid said. “It is my duty to question everyone who passes through our borders, whether you are a merchant, on holiday, or if you’re the princess of a country. I mean no offense, but without knowing your intentions, I cannot let you through.”

Perenenda slid off her horse and approached the guards. “Forgive our manners, as we have little experience in the duties of your kingdom’s guards, for you are the first we have come across. My husband, the General, has business with the Grey Herald Menquist, the servant to your king. We are here to aid them both.”

Davyid turned to the other guard and conferenced for a moment. 

“We don’t know of this business,” Davyid said. “Aye, I remember when the General passed through with several riders, but he had a letter and seal from the Grey Herald. And then they later came through together and made for the Iron Gates of the Soot. If this is official business, I’ll need a letter with a seal or someone with authority to sponsor your arrival.”

“My lady is authority enough!” It was now Dao’s turn to argue. 

Dao’s heavy weapons were enough to make the guards take two steps back and put their hands on the hilts of their swords. Davyid put his other hand on the horn by his hip. 

“Let’s be reasonable,” Big Tim said, stepping in between everyone. 

“He’s going to do that trick again,” Xaykansam said to Kamfongil.

“Kienne is not our destination,” Big Tim continued. “We look only to pass through. Our aim is to meet the General and the Herald where aid is needed, and that’s at the Republic of Aredun. There’s a war coming to Aredun, so that’s where we’re headed.”

“So you’re looking to take the Crossing?” Davyid asked. “Even if we admit you, you will not be allowed to take the Crossing without a letter from the Earl of the Promise.”

“Of course,” Big Tim assured the guard. “We’ll go to Ronynhall to get permission from the Earl first, then we’ll head to the Crossing into Aredun.”

Davyid pursed his lips in thought. “I’m sorry, your Grace. I still cannot let you through without a letter or someone with authority.”

“The two of you stand before the three hundred of us, knowing we could overwhelm you without much effort,” Perenenda said. “And yet you stand firm. Let me commend the bravery of the servants of Kienne, and your steadfast allegiance.”

“I’m sorry. A letter or authority.”

Perenenda turned to her captains for any suggestions, agitation forming in her voice. “We are not staying here,” she told them. 

“We’ll push through and deal with the consequences,” Xaykansam said. 

“Do something,” Little Tim pleaded with Big Tim. 

Big Tim rapped his knuckles against his turban in thought. “Give me a moment with them alone. This is my countrymen. Wait here.”

Big Tim left and took a walk with Davyid. 

“What can they do to us?” an exasperated Xaykansam asked. 

“Don’t underestimate these people,” Kamfongil warned. “I have been in this kingdom, as well as Aredun. In every country there are territories, like ours in Neredun. But in this country the king has more control over the Earls than Burulgi has over the Tree Lords. Once we get into Aredun, our fate is in our hands as they are not as united.”

“I didn’t know you had been outside of Neredun,” Perenenda said. “How long ago was this?”

“When I was much younger, I traveled across the realms with my brother. We had less concerns about border protocols than we have now.”

“When they deny us entry, I will be the one to push ahead, your Grace,” Xaykansam said. “I will take the blame.”

“Big Tim doesn’t seem to faring well with his countrymen,” Dao said. 

Big Tim was now surrounded by four guards, with more arriving to surround him. He was very animated in whatever he was explaining. 

“What do you think is going on?” Perenenda asked Little Tim. 

“Not sure,” he replied. “But I wouldn’t second guess him. You should probably know that by now, my lady. He surprises me all the time.”

Big Tim and the four guards entered the watchtower. After a few moments Big Tim and Davyid walked out of the tower and returned to Perenenda’s party.

“Welcome to Kienne, your Grace,” Davyid said. 

“I may enter now?” she asked. “I thought I needed letters or authority?”

“And now you have it,” Davyid replied, shifting his weight to his heels as he spoke. “Be safe, and speak to the Earl of the Promise as we discussed. And to you, have a good day, sir.”

Big Tim bowed his head in acknowledgment before helping the princess back on her horse. 

“How did you convince him to let us pass?” she asked,

“I’m curious about the same thing, foreigner,” Kamfongil said. 

“You know, once we pass these borders you’ll be the foreigner,” Big Tim smiled. He stood still when he noticed Perenenda was still waiting on an answer. “There are people I know in these parts, your Grace. And apparently people still know me. It just took some convincing, that’s all.”

Perenenda started her horse without saying a word. The guards lined up in formation waiting for her to pass. “Did he surprise you just then?” she asked Little Tim as she rode past him. 

“Yes, my lady,” he replied. “All the time.”

0