1: The World As I See It
36 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

World view is one of those things that everyone sees differently. It's built by all your experiences ever, slowly over time through everyday of every week of every month of every year. It never stops changing. A constantly shifting and shuffling picture where things are one place and then another in a few seconds. I suppose that's what makes us interesting. We're always changing. Always adjusting. Always never exactly the same.

But I think realizing that your entire life lives within a story is a step too far out of line of just "changing your world view".

Well, at least it's not one of those extreme murder mystery novels or a fantasy world where a war is occurring. Just a somewhat melodramatic romance manga, nothing crazy. No one dies (At least I don't think anyone dies. Does someone die? I feel like I should be concerned about that). It's just a high school drama with a regular amount of teen angst and eventual romance between the leading lady and some guy. Straightforward, simple, the usual backdrop for something you'd pick up randomly and read at a manga cafe to waste time or the first volume of manga you ever buy yourself that you remember fondly but actually wasn't that good in retrospect.

Regardless, that's a pretty wild thing to find out a few days before you start school again, right? Like, what am I supposed to do with that sort of information? If I tell other people I'll seem crazy, so that's off the list. And even if this world is just within a story, it's a pretty developed world anyway. There's streets and shopping centers and countries around us, people living lives unaware that they're the background of a scene to make it more lively. But things still happen outside of the perceived story, so does it really change anything apart from making you wonder your insignificance in the world?

Well I already did that so... hah.

"Kotone, do you have all your school supplies prepared?"

"Hm? Oh, almost. I just need to pick up some new pens, highlighters, and notebooks."

Breakfast with Dad is usually a quiet affair, I think we both just have nothing to say most of the time. Or maybe his silence just rubbed off on me and became our normal. He only replied with a soft hum that came from somewhere in his chest and the table returned to quiet again.

"What's the theme this year?"

"Flowers. Yuka's going for space."

"Hm. Anything specific for flowers?"

"No, just flowers."

"Hm."

"Hm."

My dad's a pretty normal looking guy for a world out of a story, well he's also not in the story so I suppose he doesn't need to be distinct or particularly attractive like other people might. He just looks like my dad, peppered hair and still trying to grow out a beard and wearing ugly colorful ties to spice up his suits for work. Definitely a well of untapped potential or something.

We always head out of the house at the same time, breakfast is the one meal I can guarantee that dad eats. He says he buys lunch from his office's cafeteria but I highly doubt that and sometimes he doesn't come home for dinner due to working overtime. It's not strange for breakfast to be the only time I see his face or hear his voice either. But I still appreciate the breakfast thing, it's stable, a normal thing. I like it.

Anyways, I think I'm taking this whole "your life is just in set in someone else's story" thing pretty well. I'm even going out shopping with Yuka, finish up picking up all my stationary, have lunch, that sort of thing. Normal things. Simple things. I like it when things stay simple, keeps life regular. Maybe that makes me boring. Actually, that's probably why I wouldn't make a very good protagonist for this sort of story. All I do is read, study, cook, and hang out with my one friend. Hm.

I'm fine with things staying that way. It makes me happy so that's all I need. Wouldn't it be worse if I only did things I didn't like to seem interesting? Yeah. I think so. I think that'd be a lot more boring than what I do.

0