Chapter 34: The Enlightened and the Savage
31 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The battle started as a one-sided feeding by the Fairy.

The Station District was the first hit by the Fea’s attack. It was a savage affair caused by a regiment of hundred soldier Fair Folks — the Fellows. They were lower rank troops of the Insect Clan Fairies with dragonfly wings attached to a childlike furry body bug eyes. Like the chorus of monstrous babies scattered among their rank, this Fairy sport the teeth and mind-set of a predator. Adding to the spice was the Tunneler, a huge worm with counter-rotating teeth and steel-like hide meant to act as an urban-demolisher.

Led by ten Centurion-Rank leaders and a Tunneler with the battle power at A-Rank, the initial attack spearheaded by the man-eating fairies was massacred. Station workers and immigration officials could only run and begged for their lives as the Fellows treated them like a game. The Danghai's security arriving at the scene got promptly annihilated by the spear of eldritch light. The back-up and heavy weapons which followed were reduced to scrap by the Tunneler.

The security — B-Rankers across all tiers — was simply too weak against a hundred opponents led by a creature above their pay-grade. Childlike they may be, the Fellow possessed high-frequency noises to interrupt spell-casters, impressive strength, speed and weaponized light weapon of eldritch variety. Back by a lethal worm the size of a train resulted in the resistance possessing no chance.

Then a certain hero crashed the party. The table promptly turned and stayed for the rest of agonizing time for the Fair Folks attacking the Station District.

One man walked into the massacre, and with the pulse of his telekinesis, suspended nine-tenth of the man-eaters in his path.

The Fellows barely knew what hit them. The net of telekinetic power wrapped its hand around any Faries too weak to resist. Rank and file creatures were locked in stasis, stopping their path of destruction in a blink. The Centurion of this regiment barely reacted as the clench of Dream’s fist reduced their army to paste.

Fairies that survived the purge of the hundred-man regiment — all 16 — flung their spears of eldritch light at the Knight of Dawn only to see the attack stopped midair. Dream promptly scooped his enemies' eldritch weapon and redirected it back to the sender, killing half of the survivors.

After sensing the interloper, the Tunneler tried to devour Dream from below. Surely, a surprise attack from underground by an enormous war-machine would bring this man down a peg.

Nope. The knight easily evaded the attack with his precognition. A stab with the psionic blade overrode the Tunneler’s flimsy psychic defense, allowing Rem to hijack its mental faculties.

Out of 1457 employees and tourists in the Station District, 1206 survived. The initial assault was brutal, but they would have all perished if not for the single Knight.

Some survivors even successfully created a viral sensation from the footage they recorded.

Let’s be honest, a superhero in a trench coat riding a giant worm and picking off the fleeing piece-meal would make headline news.

The initial assault on the Danghai’s Station District ended with whimpering as the last Fellow took the psionic blade in its face. The surrounding park was littered with crater and bodies of the Fea as testament of the struggle the Fea caused before being put down.

Dream pulled out more than his sword from the roach's skull. His psychic ability had rippeed the information right from his victim's brain.

What he extracted didn’t fill him with excitement. As he walked past the body of a brain-dead Tunneler, Dream activated the Dawn’s interconnected communication and storage network — the Shining Could (SC).

“This is Dream addressing all HD personnel and allies,” Dream said. “I have obtained the intel. We are facing an all-out invasion from the Fair Folks. The attack is led by two groups: the Beast Clan and the Insect Clan. They used those Dryads smuggled into the city to taint the Leynode and opened several translocation pools connecting the Fairy Realm to Danghai. Currently, Zhong also faces a similar invasion, but that is a subject for tomorrow. At present, the bug sent five Centipedes, five Tunnelers, two swarms of Tooth-Fairies, and 13130 Fellows. Those are annoying, but the Beast Clan is going all-out on us with 2000 hostiles, code-names: Predator, and all ten of their S-Rank Beast Tribunes.” Rem left the worst news for last. “Two Clan Praetors and the clown with the Rank of Primus are also here in Danghai. They are the highest level threat in this city. Anyone weaker than Orwell is forbidden from engaging them.”

After the briefing of gloom, Rem began listing his counter-attack.

“We will split into three teams,” Dream said. “The Fairy aimed to strangle the Conference and Dowager Consort Ruho to shake Frisnia’s morale and occupied Danghai as a beachhead to invade Tengen Continent. This cannot happen. Chronicler, I want you to protect the Conference. Do whatever you must and recruit whatever you need to finish the job. Remember that the Praetors, the clown, and most of the Beast Tribunes will be there, so bring you A game. You are the Pyramid Team.”

Dream switched his communication to Requiem and the Acropolisian, “Requiem and Atalante, your job is to lead to do the groundwork as the Ground Team. Search and rescue as many as you can and eliminate every Fairy you come across. If you find any Tribunes and Centurions, make sure they are dead. Anything below the Primus is fair game.”

Dream glanced at the pillar of darkness on the horizon, “I will lead the assault on Dryad and cut the translocation. If I do not contact back in an hour, assume I am dead or dying. In that scenario, Requiem will take over the assault squad and remove the Dryads occupying the Leynode.”

“Good luck, gentlemen,” Dream finished the briefing and walked toward the inky darkness with his psionic blade ignited. “Happy hunting.”

As Dream finished the informing the command structure, the uninformed fought out their difference.

To be fair, ‘fighting’ was a misleading suggestion. The Dark Elves — led by Qatar and Rain — didn’t have a ghost of a chance against Alpine.

Yes, Alpine was an egotistical Divine Ice Phoenix who got trolled by Yuri and laughed out the door for Atalante. But Acropolis and the Horizon Dawn were the exception, not the norm. Your average Dark Elf of combatant with no knowledge of Aura wouldn’t last a second against a Divine Race.

The tornado, created by Alpine, rose to the cloud and tossed the Dark Elves away like rag-dolls. Qatar resisted the swirling storm of cold air with his raw tenacity, but a blast of wind from Alpine blasted him off his feet.

The male Dark Elf flew across the ground filled with debris and blood from the Fea’s attack like a rocking skipping across water. He smashed into a wooden building marking the intersection. He hit the ground, but an air-pressure stopped him from getting-up.

“Good,” Alpine landed in front of Qatar. “You finally know your duty to kneel before a god.”

The Dark Elf growled. Qatar forced himself up against the pressure, swinging his fist at Alpine’s face.

The Divine Phoenix in human form easily caught his punches and conjured the storm of icy wind that smashed him through the building.

Qatar stumbled from the collision into the track of the rail, coughing up blood. His body was tattered. Fighting with Alpine confirmed what Jester told him before this carnage began. He had no chance against Alpine unless he followed the plan.

But could he trust Jester? No. Qatar didn’t trust the clown for a single instant. He wasn’t that stupid.

He took out a syringe filled with black mud. His courage fought an internal battle with his self-preservation.

But the choice would soon be made for him.

Alpine walked through the newly created hole made by her attack, approaching the Dark Elf with maximum hostility. Alpine watched the Dark Elf laying on the train track with disdain. Her mouth sneered.

Suddenly, she perked up at the rushing sound of footsteps.

“Qatar, run!” A Dark Elf — a comrade — leaped at Alpine in a vain attempt to help his leader and friend.

Without a hint of hesitation or consideration, the cold, arrogant goddess of the Divine Race knocked the Dark Elf into the ground like he was an insect. She slammed her shoes on the Elf’s stomach, grinding him to the internal organ to vent her anger.

The Dark Elf began foaming up blood.

“Let him go!” Qatar yelled. His finger grabbed the syringe and turned white from fright and pressure.

“Who are you to make a demand of me?” Alpine said, putting more pressure onto her foot. “You surrender your right the moment you participate in this attack.” She didn’t consider paying attention to the insect she was talking to, dismissing the Dark Elf like stones she stepped on.“The global public will paint you as a villain after this disaster. Your life and the life of your comrade are already forfeit.”

It was the callous attitude that affirmed Qatar's resolve and reminded him why they were doing this. They were already the enemy of the world. There was no way to go back. The Dark Elves made a deal with a devil. Any hesitation would already cause them more harm.

Qatar absorbed the damage to the Danghai; the sacking of the city and the savagery of the Fea. He condemned the disaster he brought and plunged the needle down into his arms.

Jester knew they couldn’t take Alpine alive. Qatar and his comrade were a sacrifice to kill more people. The Wolf Hoard in this city was also the lamb offered to the sadistic carnage.

That didn't matter anymore.

Qatar no longer cared about ethics. He had crossed that line. Now he simply wanted to make this callous bitch in front of him pay.

The young man’s flesh warped, and he howled in agony and rage.

In the distance, another battered Dark Elf — Rain — looked at the same vial filled with black liquid.

Serenade Asmodella pulled the string of her bow, aiming squarely at her.

“It's over,” Serenade said. “You can’t beat me.”

“I know,” Rain said. It took three exchanges to know that Serenade could easily kill her. However, Rain wasn’t about to quit.

Serenade saw the glimpse of determination in the Dark Elf’s eyes, “Don’t try it.” She warned. “There is nothing you can do.”

“Nothing I can do?” Rain repeated the word in anger. “There is always nothing we can do?” Her words turned scalding. “It must be rich to be you, isn’t it? The beautiful young lady of the Seven Continental Alliance; the beloved media darling of Lightwell.” The Dark Elf sneered. “Seeing your face for real makes me want to puke.”

That one caught Serenade where it hurt, “I never do anything to you.”

“Say the poster girl of Lucian and Magnolia,” Rain said, grasping her syringe tightly. “You are always the same, taking the side of Frisnia while leaving us to rot because it benefits you more.” Rain mocked the Serenade, more angry than afraid. “What is your slogan again? The Preserver of Phantasia’s Balance. Really? A bunch of wealthy cabals scheming and exploiting the world from the ivory tower, while the dictatorial power of the Divine Fist ran down on people who couldn’t fight back is balance?” Rain added more punch. “Look at who you are fighting for? Alpine the Seventh? That bitch left bodies everywhere she goes. Your boss Lucian would gladly turn a country to hell if his power base grew. How many ‘rebels' had you killed, Asmodella? The only difference between you and me is you can bat your eyes at the journalist, and they happily ignored every mess-up thing you did.”

“Look,” Serenade admitted the elf had a point. “You are being impossible.”

The canopy of destruction erupted, and Alpine sailed across the air, slamming into the ground.

The building in the distance crumbled and exploded as something rocketed into the sky, and slammed on top of Alpine.

It was a mass of muscle with dark-skin and head of dry falling hair. A misshapen wing of the insect erupted from the creature back. The monster turned to face Serenade and Alpine. The face meeting them was unrecognizable and stony, but Rain remembered what those pieces of overstretched rag covering its body used to be.

“Qatar?” She watched what her friend had become and glanced at the syringe in her fist. It was easy to deduce what happened.

“Get off me!” Alpine yelled, launching a lance of ice through Qatar’s back, causing him to howl in pain.

“Stop hurting him!” Rain yelled.

Alpine ignored her and impaled Qatar with more lance of ice. She felled the mutated Dark Elf on his back and conjured a sword to slit his throat. However, another mass of muscle ran her down, catching her by surprises. The second mutated Dark Elf came out of nowhere and clobbered Alpine through a building by the roadside.

Rain watched more monsters her comrades transformed into rushed into the fray.

Structures were demolished on top of the goddess. Alpine got up into a fight for survival against a hulking mob. Icy winds sheared dozens of buildings around them into smithereens and cut down several hulking Dark Elves, severing their limbs. However, the suicidal creature didn’t let up their mad assault on the Alpine.

“What are you guys doing?” Rain screamed that question out loud.

“They have gone mad,” Serenade watched Alpine being tossed from the ring in a disheveled state. The savagery of the brawl boggled her mine more than the fact Alpine was losing.

“Shut up,” Rain glared at Serenade. “I won’t let you insult them.”

Amid the carnage, an injured Dark Elf who tried to save Qatar hobbled to Rain.

“Sorry about this, Rain,” he said, drawing the syringe.

“Stop,” Serenade said. “You don’t know what you are doing.”

“Stop?” The Dark Elf looked into the eyes of the Elf. “What would happen to us, if we stopped? You never care about us when we are innocent. What would happen to us now that we are guilty?”

Serenade couldn’t answer.

“Rain,” The Dark Elf tried to placate his friend. “You don’t need to blame yourself. All of us went into this willing to die. Victory is all that matters now.” He jabbed the syringe into his arms. “Just make sure our sacrifice is worth it.”

The Dark Elf howled, crouching to the ground like an animal. He looked at Alpine with hate-filled eyes and lunged at his tormentor, joining his comrade in their brutal melee.

Unable to take on the number of mutated opponents, Alpine was tossed down the street, bruised and disheveled. Before she could mount a counter, a Tunneler erupted from below, tackling Alpine and taking her under the earth.

Over fifteen Mutate Dark Elves followed the monster with the aims of ripping Alpine to pieces.

Serenade watched Alpine being taken out of commission. She couldn’t believe it. This was Alpine the Seventh. She was the seventh strongest of the Snow Maiden Sect. It shouldn’t be possible for her to go down this easily.

Serenade then noticed Rain baring her arm for the syringe.

“They are right,” Rain said with deepened resolve. “There is nowhere to go back, but win.”

She immediately drew her Spirit Arrow. If Rain turned into a monster, she would be toasted. Those mutants took full power hit from Alpine like nothing and cornered her. Serenade was certain she would be pancaked by a juiced Rain.

Before things could escalate, a hand grabbed Serenade by the shoulder and a foreign Mana suffocated her Spirit Arrow like a fish on the ground.

A man walked forward, standing between Serenade and Rain. His flowing mantle bored the symbol of the rising sun and the dignity it stood for. A black helmet may hide his face, but his intention was perfectly clear.

Chronicler was here to golf the tragedy back down the ravine where it belonged.

“I have to disagree,” Chronicler said. “There is always a way back. Please let me help you.”

Chronicler dropped his weapon — a cane — and approached the frightened girl.

“I know what you are thinking,” Chronicler said gently. “You believe there is nowhere back for you anymore. That isn’t true. All you have to do is drop the syringe and talk to me. I assure you everything will be okay.”

Serenade blinked, “What are you doing?”

“The right thing,” Chronicler answered Serenade and approached the girl. “What is your name?”

“Stop! Don’t move!” Rain scampered back.

Chronicler stopped.

“I don’t know who you are,” Rain pointed around her. “But we have gone past that!”

“I know you have been hearing the voice from the World Tree,” Chronicler unveiled his hand, and put all the attention to the surrounding ruins. “What would the World Tree think about this?”

Rain stopped in her tracks.

Chronicler pelted her with more facts, “I also know you have been in contact with a clown. Surely, you also suspect him.” He nodded at the syringe. “He knew you are desperate and lied that you need to do all of this. You should already realize he is using you as a tool. The World Tree is in danger, and you are here, incriminating yourself in a terrorist attack instead of doing what you need to do.”

Rain looked down guiltily.

Serenade lowered her bow in awe. Did this guy about to talk the girl into surrendering?

“It is never too late,” Chronicler unleashed the final cap to the negotiation. “You are tricked into a mess you never expected. I believe you are a brave person and the gifts from that clown is never needed. Please, I need your help to stop this.”

Rain looked at the syringe. Finally, after some time, she dropped it. The gravity of the situation she got herself into caught up to her as the Adrenalin faded. With no enemy existed to distract her from the feeling of fear and dread. The Dark Elf fell to the ground in a heap and began crying.

Chronicler walked over and gave a girl a hug, “I know it is a lot to ask, but I need you to stay stronger for a moment more.” He gave the bawling Elf a head-pat. “Everything will be fine. I promise.”

Serenade, witnessing the non-violent take down from the beginning to end, looked at the mysterious man in awe, “Who the hell are you?”

“My name is Chronicler,” the Knight replied. “Yes, I am Dream’s colleague, and we are currently handling this unfortunate situation. We will get this under control soon. This is a promise.”

Serenade Asmodella realized this was the man who her friend had crushed and felt a pang of pity for Shyme Enma.

This guy might be too good for her, and no amount of power or wealth would narrow the heaven-defying gap in character.

How is Chornicler X Shyme doing?
  • The Swan should get reincarnate before looking at the Sun Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Unlikely to happen Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Within Reach (but she need to shape up) Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Set sail Votes: 1 50.0%
Total voters: 2
2