Chapter 1 : late for the first day?
21 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 1 : late for the first day?

As always, it was the same cell. Sturdy iron bars closed the only opening between these gray, decayed walls, not an existing window pouring warm sunlight. A lone bulb, an old model that is no longer used for 50 years, provided a sickly white light. I was sitting on an aged mattress, one of both accommodations in this room, the other one being a rustic toilet. It was hot; the air had a rancid smell. Obviously, nobody would clean a cell. I know what was going to happen in this nightmarish dream. The helplessness, the pain, the shouts of joy, and finally the silence and the guilt, this abominable guilt.

The key rustling woke me up from my numbness. I turned my head toward the bars to see the head of my jailer. A hideous grin plastered on his face. The black spots and yellow stains on his teeth showed his discipline in hygiene. His odor spoke for itself too.

"It's the great day, little guy! When they will finally finish these experiments on you, we'll be able to enjoy a break. We'll get new prisoners too! Hope they will bring back more playthings. The ones here are no longer fresh. You got lucky to be protected by this particular doctor. Only animals and you for his experiments. Maybe this will be the last one for you!" He laughed in a greasy voice.

I could feel my heart beating faster the more he approached the door. My feeling of powerlessness increased. My breathing quickened and my whole body was covered in perspiration. Even if I know what is going to happen because this is one on my frequent nightmares, I can't move my body to free myself. I'm doomed to live it again and again. When the key entered the rusty lock, a high-pitched sound exploded in my head.

I opened my eyes in my bed, tucked in my soaking wet sheets. My alarm clock woke me up with the radio's jingle.

"Welcome to all the residents of Elesgend on the Wake-up Show! This is yet again a beautiful sunny day. Today is important for all of us. What do you think Elena?" The male pitcher said.

"Yes, it is Jake! Today, all our dear children are going back to school. But are you ready for the school year? Discover what to buy for your child in our news coverage!" The female said in his forced shrill voice.

I clicked the power button to stop the radio before getting out of my bed.

"This nightmare, again." I sighted. "I should change the sheets and take a shower before going downstairs. "

My room is big enough to accommodate my bed, a metallic desk for my studies and a wooden wardrobe. The walls are painted white to enlarge the space. After opening the large window to air the room, I took my usual brown trouser and a clearer top. I opened the wooden door to exit my room and come face to face with my adopted sister, her long black hair still wet from the shower. Her large orange eyes inspected me from the bottom up.

 

"You had a bad dream again? It's less frequent, but you're always in such a mess when it happens. I would gladly help you get ready, however, I'm already late, so we'll see each other later! Don't forget to take your medication on the table before going to the university!" Naomi said with her natural crystalline voice and warm tone.

"Good morning Nao. Don't worry, I'll take it. See you at the uni!" It was already 7:30. "You're really running late." I said, before seeing her scurrying to her room.

I took a shower in the already steamy bathroom and readied myself. After stylizing my gray hair in something I hope is presentable enough, I left. Before going downstairs, I prepared myself for the most dangerous being in this house. Even though she has adopted me for only 2 years, she knows how to decrypt each one of my movements. She knows how to understand me and helped me through my trauma. She gives me so much love, it really helped me rebuild myself. My fight isn't over, but she has already helped me win. She's my adorable mother, Alice Morley. One of the best attorneys from the capital, it was not uncommon to see her in the journal or on the TV thanks to one of her successful legal cases. Alice worked part-time since they adopted me. She makes it a point of honor to devote time to her family.

As I walked down the steps, I heard a loud but clear voice calling for me. "Asher, your breakfast is ready. Come down now or you will not have the time to eat!"

 

"COMING!" I yelled. I went down the wooden stairs. In the open kitchen my mother just finished and began cleaning the stoves. She wore her auburn hair in a bun. I could clearly see her elegant and thin figure because she likes to wear close-fitting clothes. She stopped what she was doing before giving me a bear hug.

 

"My dear! Did you sleep well?" She asked. "Yes, I did." I said with a huge grin. I love her hugs, she's always putting all her strength in it, nearly breaking my ribs, but it was so good to have human contact with somebody who loves you without a second thought. Furthermore, I don't remember who's my real mother, but I don't care! She's my mother now and I love her. When I was adopted, she already showered me in love. She did not make any difference between me and Naomi even if I'm not her biological child. At first, I wasn't open at all. I was eating in my room, not leaving except for going to the bathroom. However, she didn't give up. Day after day, week after week, she tried. And some months later I accepted her massive love. I learned to give my trust to people again thanks to her. And now, I have a family, I belong to a place that I would never have believed in during my imprisonment. After her, I opened to Naomi and we built a bond together. Ironically, the one I was the less close to is the person who decided to adopt me first, my adopted father but …

 

*Bong*

 

Something crashed on my forehead, and I came back from my thoughts. I saw my little sister sticking out her tong. "Someone is jealous! Come here Naomi, I'll give you a hug too!" The bear let me escape, I could breathe again. "I'll give you a taste of your medicine!" I said, before slapping Naomi's forehead while she was hugging our mother. "You violent guy! With this temperament you will never have a girlfriend!" She shouted.

"Calm down dear, you don't have time to eat so I packed something for you. Here take it!" Our mother gave a little bag to Naomi. "I need to run to the station now! I'll tease you later big bro He-he." My little sister stormed off with her breakfast before I could add something.

 

I took a chair and began to eat. "So how is it my dear?" "It's delicious!" Apart from her attorney skills, she's also a great cook. A simple omelet is most delicious than any plates I ate in my life. I didn't eat a lot of good food but for me, she's the fucking best cook ever.

We did small talk until I finished the plate.

"Ho dear, you need to go now if you don’t want to be late for your first day at the University!" She reminded me.

"Yeah you're right. See you later Mom!" I said before going out.

"Wait!" She shouted. I could only stop and wait for her to put a card in my hand. "Silly you can't leave without your ID or you can't enter the campus" She smiled at me. "Thank you!" I answered, hugging her.

"See you later!" I said before leaving. Before closing the door, I heard Alice mumbling. "I hope you will not be discriminate, if this is the case I'll sue them!"

1