Robin – Nostalgia (Bonus Chapter)
1.1k 3 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Content Warning: Sword fighting, light injuries, blood mention.


"Are you trying to fucking kill me?!" Naomi screamed in surprise, but her words didn't truly reach me. I explained to her the nature of the training. It was meant to be brutal, after all.

She kept fighting, barely avoiding each of my swings, stabs and lunges. I couldn't allow someone so new to the realm to take the place of someone I cared about so dearly. I wanted to prove to everyone, especially the queen, just how wrong they were about who she was. Truth be told, I was mostly trying to prove it to myself.

The fight kept going, I wasn't planning on ending it until one of us gave in to exhaustion.

"Is that all you've got?! Come on, give it your all, Knight."

I regretted saying those words the very instant I spoke them.


20 years ago, in Lumalight.

"You're really gonna challenge me?" She replied with a confident chuckle.

Celestia had been neglecting practice for a while, preferring to leave fighting to the field. I wasn't going to give up, though, and once I got her into the training room I wanted to make the most of the opportunity.

Her current form had soft, gentle facial features. If you didn't know she was the kingdom's most efficient killing machine, you'd probably assume she couldn't a hurt a fly. Her body was a different story, however. She was strong, and due to her countless adventures in this form she was already covered in battle scars. Claws, swords, gunshots, magic attacks and harsh environments had left their marks, and she would proudly tell you the story of each and every one. Her fox ears and tail were light orange and white, just like her hair. Her eyes were a dark, deep red, and I'd constantly find myself staring at them, admiring her beauty.

"It's my job, honey. I gotta make sure our Royal Knight is ready for her missions."

"Robin, I'll be fine!"

"Oh, will ya? You're scared to fight me, what makes you think you'll be fine out there?" I gave her a slightly smug smile.

"Scared? Alright. That's it. En garde, bitch."

I smiled as she got into a defensive position with her rapier. I got ready with my long sword and let her make the first move. She ran towards me, swinging her sword at my chest. I took a step back and countered with a swing of my own. She dodged it with ease and attempted to feint a lunge. I took the opening and managed to get a hit. It was just a small, skin deep cut on her arm, but it was a start.

"Looks like you're rusty." I taunted her while backing up into the middle of the room. "I usually never get you this early."

"Keep taunting me, bunny girl. You know I like to toy with my prey."

She quickly attacked me with a flurry of lunges and slashes. I defended each one while getting ready for the next strike, being mindful to not get cornered. She got me lightly on my shoulder, and I responded with an attack of my own that just barely missed her nose. Her reflexes were sharp as ever, and I was just as proud as I always am of her progress as a warrior. She really had surpassed me.

The fight went on for a least thirty more minutes. As time passed, our moves became more and more complex, even implementing a few magic enhanced techniques here and there. Once again I felt pride to watch her use combat spells that I had not taught her, some that she had developed herself.

"I think that's quite enough, darling." She said in between strikes.

"You give up, then?" I replied, not ready to let her quit just yet.

"If that's how it is-"

She threw her sword in the air and jumped at me, somehow avoiding my blade. In one quick movement she managed to knock me to the ground before I realized what was even happening. She picked up her falling sword and pointed it at my face while pinning me down.

"Gotcha! And as I said... I think that's enough."

We stared at each other for a few seconds, catching our breaths. The smell of sweat and blood almost faded as I once again found myself staring into her beautiful eyes. She placed the sword aside and lowered herself further, moving in for a kiss. Her lips touched mine, and I felt her hand gently slide down from my face, making its way to my chest. I felt her tongue slip into my mouth and got lost in the moment, forgetting all about my surroundings as she held my hands together, pinned down to the ground. The weight of her body against mine made my heart beat faster than any sword fight ever could. She then slowly pulled back and threw herself on the ground next to me, lying by my side.

"See?" I said, my senses finally coming back to me. "This can happen more often if you train with me a little more."

"Really?" She laughed. "You're still thinking of training after that?"

"Just saying, I wouldn't mind some more time like this with you."

She got up and helped me to my feet.

"But seriously, darling. I'll be fine. You know I've got this."

"Yeah, yeah... I just get worried. This is going to be tougher than anything you've been up against before."

"I know, but I have to do this." She held my hands and pulled me close. "I'm not letting her hurt you... Or anyone else in the kingdom. Not anymore."

I hug her as closely as I can, holding her tight.

"It's just that... Every time I have to wait for you to come back there's that small part of me that-"

"-Is afraid of me forgetting about you." She gave me a sympathetic smile and ran her fingers through my hair, a move that never fails to calm me down. "Remember, as long as the mark is here I'll be fine!"

"I know! But it's still scary."

"Is there anything I can do to soothe your mind?"

"... Promise me. Promise you won't forget me, no matter what happens."

"Dear. I promise you, no matter what happens, no matter how long it takes me to return... I'll never forget you."

"Thank you."

"Now, what do you say we spend the night under the stars?"

"I'd like that very much, actually."

"I knew you would." She gave me a quick kiss on the lips. "Let's go."

We walked out of the room, and then of the castle entirely. We walked a small trail in the woods behind the market place, going uphill to find our favorite spot to stargaze. Once there we lied down next to each other, her tail wrapped around mine, and we talked about meaningless every day things. Her voice was soft and soothing. She was somehow even more beautiful under the moonlight, and I wanted nothing more than to spend each and every day by her side. But unfortunately fate had other plans.


In the present.

Once the fight was over I felt nothing but shame, anger and regret. I was ashamed of being in such denial, of putting someone through pain and fear for nothing. The training was meant to be rough, of course, but I realised I had crossed the line. 

I was enraged at Lumalight itself, every existing realm and even the queen herself. That I had to wait for two decades only to be forgotten was a punch to the gut worse than any physical injury I had seen in a lifetime of fighting.

And I regretted nearly every action I had taken since Celestia's disappearance. The years of denial, the reckless adventuring, the bitterness I developed and most of all putting Naomi through hell for something that was never her fault.

But there was something else underneath all of that. I couldn't tell whether it was relief, nostalgia, melancholy or grief. Once she left the room, I broke down. I knew things had to change, but it was all too sudden. As much as I had finally gotten a better grasp of the situation, I still had somehow pushed past all of those feelings. I couldn't let my ego get the best of me, I had to do better.

But that would have to wait for another time, since that night was spent on crying, reminiscing and watching the sky. I tried to find her favorite constellations from the window of the training room. It took me a few minutes, but I eventually found them. Usually I would point it out to her, hold her hand and talk about whatever came to mind first. But this time, I was completely alone.

I closed the window and wished the skies were cloudy.

36