Fate – Stray Thoughts (Bonus Chapter)
500 1 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Not so long ago, in Lumalight.

I very slowly mixed the content of the glass vials. As the liquids mixed, they went from a dark green, to orange, and finally settled on the bright, shiny red they are right after mixing. In a few minutes it would take on the pink hue of the finished product, which thankfully did not affect the healing and transformative properties.

Creating the magic-infused potions with Heather's crystalized magics was always my favorite part of the job, and this time I would hopefully get to deliver it in person. I picked up the bottle, attached it to my belt and bolted out of the lab so as to not arrive late. Dane was helping bring the new person into the castle, and I had to try again.

In my rush, I nearly ran into the two guards carrying them in a gurney, still unconscious from their travel between worlds. They looked pretty strong for someone who had just arrived, and my mind ran through the possibilities. If I could convince Dane, Robin, Heather or just about anyone to let them stay as my lab assistant, I could be all the more productive. That, and it got lonely in the laboratory - sometimes I'd even go a whole week straight without social contact.

"Hey, watch out, Fate!" Dane exclaimed from behind the guards, popping his head to the side. "You alright? Need anything?"

"Dane!" I walked to him, letting the guards do their jobs. "Do you think this time I can-"

"Come on, Fate. I told you I'd let you know when we could send over an assistant." He sighed. "They haven't even woken up yet, I don't even know their name, let alone what sort of thing they'd do around the castle."

"Well, maybe they can just stay over at my guest room? Just to check out the lab once they wake up?"

"Sorry, but no. This is a weird case. They were in the castle's borders, somehow. Heather and the Queen are still trying to figure out-"

"That's all the more reason to let them stay with me! Those magic potions might really make a difference, especially if they're magically inclined! Come on, Danesy. Please!"

"Oh gods, never call me that again." He groaned, looked over at a clipboard and then back at me. "Well... Having magic healing potions around might actually be handy, considering we don't have the space to store them in the infirmary... You'd be willing to help them through the transformations?"

"Absolutely! Oh, and don't worry, I'm coming up with a better formula to reduce the size of the container necessary, and I'm close to a breakthrough! Kinda..."

"Fine, but if there are any health problems, don't hesitate to come to me. And take this." He handed me his clipboard with a few instructions and checklists. "In all honesty, I could really use this time to get some work done, so... As long as you follow my instructions you'll do just fine."

"Thank you! You won't regret this!" 

"Oh, and don't forget to send them somewhere for evaluation."

"I won't!" I excitedly said, skipping back to the lab.

I was disappointed they were still asleep and I didn't get to hand the potion on the spot. There's nothing more satisfying then watching someone realize their body would change to better suit their vision of themselves. Of course, that wasn't the only benefit of the potion. The main objective was to make the transition between worlds less scary, and prepare them for magic shenanigans they might not have encountered before. That, and to heal up any wounds or health issues they might have acquired on the way for one reason or another.

I found myself barely able to do any work after they brought the new person to the lab. I kept waiting to hear them call out, or walk outside. Every few minutes I would look over my shoulder, hoping to see them standing in front of me. Unfortunately it took a while for them to wake. When I finally heard a voice coming from the guest room, my heart skipped a beat. I looked over at the clipboard, the first rule of which said, in big, bold letters:

STAY CALM FOR THE SAKE OF THE PATIENT.

I could do that, easily. So I picked it up, and knocked on the door.


Lumalight, present.

I woke up in the middle of the night. At first I didn't realize why, but my growling stomach soon alerted me to the reason. I got up, trying my best not to wake up Naomi, and left my room. I opened one of the cabinets, and right next to my most safe and edible potion ingredients was my stash of snacks. I picked up some dried sorted fruits and went outside to get some air as I ate.

I walked through the halls of the castle, for the first time not feeling as safe within its halls. Thankfully, there were guards all over the place now, including in front of the catacombs. With some luck, one of the new recruits came across the trail of blood that Carver left behind not long after everything went down, and although they did not find anything in the secret room at least there was someone keeping watch.

My thoughts then turned to Naomi, and her arrival in Lumalight. I remembered the disappointment I felt when she chose to be a guard, and the joy when I realized she would still help me in the lab in her free time. I thought back to that embarrassing moment of finding her in a... vulnerable position. Ever since her transformation began, I tried to find the right words to tell her how beautiful she was, but nothing ever felt right. She would actually listen to my long rambles on potion-making, and try her best to understand. And when we went on an adventure together, alongside Carver, I finally felt as if I truly had someone by my side. There were so many loose thoughts I ended up overwhelming myself.

I looked out a window in the corridor and took a deep breath. I had decided I'd go out to protect those I cared about, and as scary as it felt there was also a thrill to it I quite enjoyed. Then my mind turned to the woman currently asleep on my bed; The one I had tried to look over since she had woken up in my guest room. I was happy she trusted me enough to do something like this, even if I did not feel like I deserved such trust. We had only known each other for a short while, and though I was looking for friendship from the get-go, she didn't have to stick around as she had, especially once her friend from the other world arrived.

Then again, the way she looked at me had changed ever since our encounter with the demoness in that horrible cavern. I noticed a similar look when she sees Carver and Robin, though still distinct. I already knew she wanted to protect all of us, but the more time we spent together the more I wondered how deep those feelings went, and if she felt the same way as I did. I wanted to wait for the right moment to talk to her about it, and travelling together would be the perfect time. I stretched, looked around to make sure there were no demons prowling nearby, and went back to my room.

She was still sound asleep when I returned. She moved around a little when I lied back down, but I managed to do so without waking her. I struggled to find a comfortable position, and while shuffling about in bed I felt something wrap around my waist. Still probably asleep, Naomi had reached out to me and ever so gently pulled me closer; I gladly moved back, cuddling up to her as, for the first time in as long as I could remember, I could let my problems melt away into the night. For the first time ever, I would wake up next to someone; Someone I really, really liked.

I would have feared she did not feel the same, but I fell asleep before any bad thoughts could even cross my mind. Good riddance.

12