Chapter 5
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The wandering fly lands on the moose. The head of the dead animal hangs tight on the wall through a dark wooden piece while a 5 or 6-year-old elementary girl tries to reach its antler, but then, a woman beside her pats her hand to stop.

In the front, Ms. Anluage is leading our class, and my classmates are taking pictures of every taxidermied animal here. And so is Dave. So the event earlier didn't really affect him? I guess everything's fine then.

"Matt, look." he has pointed the hornbill sitting on the artificial branch.

"Hmm? It looks alive," I whisper. "Yeah. It looks alive."

"Don't you remember anything from that?"

I inspect the display. Thanks to the light from the exit, the details are more visible against the deep darkness of the cave. The bird Dave has pointed to is a black hornbill. The upper part of its beak is yellow, and its size seems like the usual. 

I shake my head. "Does it resemble something?"

He puts his hand in his bag. In a moment, he shows a moss green coin purse made out of a silky material.

"Look, remember this?" he says.

"Is that yours?"

Hanging around the zipper is a keychain. It doesn't look anything close to that bird, but it's still a hornbill.

"You don't remember?"

"It's a hornbill right?"

He shoves it to my face. "You gave it to me, idiot!"

"Did I? When?"

"Ok listen. You—"

"We're going back?" I hear a girl's voice.

Looking at the front, I see the backs of my classmates turned against Dave and me.

"Hey, they're already far from us," I say.

He looks at the back. "Oh. You're right. This one's from another school."

"Come on. We need to catch up."

I brisk walk toward my classmates, and Dave alternates between skipping and walking.

The bright light of the sun stings my eyes.  Immediately, it subsides, and what I see are my classmates. They're gathered in a group. Ms. Anluage is facing them.

"Is everyone here?" she asks.

"Yes, ma'am," prez answers.

"Good. We finished our itinerary for the morning, so now, we're going back to the parking lot to eat lunch, okay?"

"Yes, ma'am," we answer.

I feel a light touch on my shoulder. 

"Isn't it still a bit early?" Dave asks.

"Yeah. Based on the itinerary, lunchtime should be at 11:30 am, but it is only 10:25 am now."

"For real? I didn't notice at all! I thought we're just getting started."

"Uh-huh."

My classmates start to walk. I follow them. Although the air remains chilly, it's different for now because the sun is scorching my skin. Walking beside me, Dave scoots closer and puts me under the shade of his umbrella. Suddenly, I remember something.

"Hey, did I really give that keychain to you?"

"You did."

"When?"

"Ok listen. Before we graduated from grade school, I promise to attend the same high school that you're going to."

"Hmm."

"As usual, you don't seem to care. But 2 weeks prior to the ceremony, my father received a very important project from work, and it's in a far place. We need to move. In short, I broke my promise to you. I can still remember the look on your face when I told you we're moving out. Expressionless as always because you're doodling or sketching or doing whatever art-related thing you're doing at the back of your Math notebook."

I think I remember it now. It's the same time when my parents are going through a misunderstanding.

"Hah," I exclaim. "I just thought you're just telling me another one of your funny stories, that's why I ignored you."

"Even though you're saying that, you really care for me don't you? The next day, you gave me this keychain. By giving, I mean you just handed it to me. You didn't even say a single thing."

"I just happened to pick that up on the road on my way home."

"So yes. You gave it to me and I still have it." he smiles. "You're truly my best friend!"

"Shush. Some people might think you're weird. It's bad for your reputation, especially since you're an SBC officer. Remember, you just broke up with—"

"Eh? How did you know?"

A hot sensation crawls from my head.

"Do you have a sixth sense?"

Crap. It slipped.

I step a distance from him.

"Nevermind. I didn't say anything."

"If you're bothered about that, yes, I did have an argument with the vice president. She hates you, I think? She even said you're an outcast or something."

"A shadow."

"Right. She said you're a shadow." 

He raises his brows. "So you're listening to our conversation?"

"Not intentionally. You're offline, and it's cold, and I forgot my jacket. That's why I went to use the restroom. But then, I heard a familiar voice, which happened to be yours, and I heard your conversation by that." I glance at him. "I'm very sorry if I destroyed your relationship with her. I didn't want it."

"Nah. She's pretending to be my girlfriend, but we're not on. I never made any moves on her because she isn't my type."

"For real?"

"She even accused you as my, umm... mister? What do you call that again? Pa-pa-paramore?"

"It's paramour. The one with u-r..." I say in a flat tone. "That's plain stupid. I'm not attracted to boys, especially not to you."

"That's what I told her too. But you know what, I'm very thankful she's over me now."

"What if she spread rumors?"

He throws his right hand in the air. "She can try. But I have friends that I'm sure will believe me. And besides, you'll believe me. Right?"

"You can wish." 

I look to the path straight and continue walking. A wind blows. The leaves of the trees above sway. However, the temperature remains hot.

Suddenly, I feel a force on my arm. I look to the side. My body freezes. From the distance, a truck is running in a zigzag motion toward my direction. 

 The surroundings seem to slow down, and even the voices become slurry.

Screeeeeeeech!!!

The sound pierces my ear, but somehow, my body doesn't move. 

Why can't I do anything?

SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECH!!!

This is it.

I'd lived a fair life, didn't I? Maybe I'll go to heaven.

SCREEEEEEE

BANG!

The darkness swallows me whole as a strong force touches my skin. I stagger backward. This is the end.

"Matt!"

A voice? I open my eyes. In front of me stands a man. His arms are raised to the truck, and the point where his hand and the truck meet is crippled.

"Are you okay?" a voice calls out.

I look on my right. Dave is furrowing his brows.

"Y-yeah. I'm okay. W-what happened?"

The man in the front turns back. "Be careful next time."

"Thank you very much." Ms. Anluage says.

Nodding, he leaves. Almost as if nothing has happened. All of my classmates are looking at me. Ms. Anluage then claps her hands.

"Is everyone alright?" she asks.

"Yes!" my classmates resound a cry.

She cuts them in the center to walk to me. She reaches for my shoulder, but she's just able to hold my hand instead.

"Are you alright, Mr. Cruz?"

"Y-yes."

She brings her body closer and encloses me inside a tight hug. Her huge womanhood pokes my upper abdomen. 

Oh no. I can feel eyes on me. 

"Really. I'm fine. You don't have to worry about me, ma'am."

"No. I can't let my student be harmed."

"I'm really fine. I didn't get a single scratch."

She clings to me tighter, and the burning stares intensify. I look to Dave.
Our eyes meet.

"Yes, Ms. Anluage," Dave breaks the silence. 

He pats Ms. Anluage on the shoulder. "I assure you that Matt's fine." 

She removes her body from me. "Well, if Mr. Toledo says so." 

She whispers something to him, but it's so soft that I can't make out. As usual, the boys in my class glare at Dave. After that, she returns to my classmates. 

"Alright, we'll keep on walking. The parking lot is close from here so just bear a little."

"Yes ma'am!"

Dave approaches. "Come with me."

"We're not following them?"

"Don't worry. I already have Ms. Anluage's permission. Come on." he's wrapped his left hand around my shoulder.

"Where are we going?"

"I'm going to tell you about something."

"Alright. Alright, but remove your arms from me. You're clearly struggling."

A chuckle resounds from him. Granting my request, he walks ahead. He is casually slowing down, waiting for me to match his pace. After some walking, a crowded area appears on the other side of the road. A pavilion.

"Are you going to buy something there?" I ask.

"Maybe. But no. I know that you don't have your lunch."

"What are you saying? I have my lunch."

"And what's it?"

"A sandwich."

"See. Who's having a sandwich for lunch? You're not even white. We're Asian, Matt. We're used to rice so come with me."

"Ok but only if you'll treat me."

"Sure."

He's really sharp huh. He must've figured it out from his visit yesterday.

"It's a Sken," Dave says out of nowhere.

I shake my head. "What is? Who is? Where?"

He stares straight at my eyes. "You're not listening. I said the man who saved us is a Sken."

"Sken? You mean the one from Vex City?"

He nods.

"Now, it makes sense why his eyes are slanted."

"Because Vex City is a part of South Korea."

"But how did you know that man is a Sken. I mean it isn't even written anywhere what their appearance is. Sure, they're from Korea, but he can be Chinese or Japanese since they almost share the same characteristics."

"Well, he has a supernatural ability, and that's what identifies a Sken."

"Like a superhero?"

"Kind of... Well, yes. If you put it like that, yes." 

He keeps on moving forward. On the other hand, I stop walking. 

"How did you know all of this?"

He turns his head. "What's wrong?"

"You're hurt? You're hurt aren't you?!" he asks.

"You're one of them." I open my mouth wide. "Ha! You're a Sken!"

A breeze walks between the two of us. Suddenly, his shoulder begins to tremble "

"Hahahaha. It doesn't suit you. Stop being so dramatic."

"Tsk. Just tell me already. You're one of them."

"No way! Dad just told me. You know, Horizon Analytics has been trying to develop a serum for years. But it always ends in failure."

Horizon Analytics?

"Something wrong?"

"Nothing."

"So don't suspect me again. Besides, I prefer being a human."

"Even me. I'm ok this way. Vex City is very secretive on holding information about them."

CHACK-A-CHACK-A-CHACK-A-CHACK

I feel my hair rise. What's that?

"Look," he waves his hand up to the sky, "a helicopter."

"Y-yeah."

Up above floats a strange helicopter. Its body appears longer and edgier than usual. It looks heavier too.

"Is that really a helicopter?" I ask.

"It should be. It kind of looks like a mini jet but there's a blade," he says.

"Hmm... maybe it's a special design. It's possible because the airport's only a few kilometers from here."

"Probably." his eyes avert to the pavilion. "Ah, come on. We better hurry. We only got an hour."

"Right."

I walk behind him.

CHACK-A-CHACK-A-CHACK-A-CHACK

The sound gets louder. I look at the sky again. Above, something square is becoming larger and larger every passing moment.

It's falling?

Looking ahead, the object seems to fall in Dave's direction. I run toward him.

"Dave!"

I feel jittery, but I continue to run.

My hand lands on his back, and I push him forward. 

BOOOOOM!!!

An explosion resounds. It sends chills down to my spine as my knees turn into jelly.

BOOOOOM!!!

The force throws me away. Immediately, I feel the hard surface of the ground, but I can't see since the surroundings are painted in black.

Where's Dave?

BOOOOOM!!!

Everything turns blurry. I inhale, however, my chest feels tight, it's painful. I can't get up. It's hopeless.

BOOOOOM!!!

0