Chapter 17
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

MATT

I get my phone on the side table, and the time is displayed on the lock screen. It's already 6:52 am. I walk outside.

The feeling of living here is still kinda new. I'm not yet used to the old-fashioned neoclassical art nouveau-ish design, but it's itching my hands to create something. Only if father doesn't monitor my account.

The varnish of the door shines. I land my hand on the surface.

Knock knock knock

"Jeon? We have school today."

There is no answer. Is he still sick?

Knock knock knock

"Hello? Jeon?"

I turn the knob, but it won't open. We're going to be late if this keeps going.

Knock knock knock

"Jeon, are you awake? It's the first day of school today."

Only the emptiness answers my call. I guess he is really feeling sick. If that's so, then, he should just rest for today.

"Yes. Yes. I am awake now. Thank you for your concern," the voice from the other side replies, it's Jeon.

Good. "There's a program today at 7:40, right? We're going to be late."

"Yes. I will be ready in a few moments. Do not bother yourself about me."

"I'm just going to buy us food. Do you want something in particular?"

"Salad sandwich would be great."

"Ok. I'll let you prepare."

I walk to the hallway. Many students, mainly boys, who are wearing the same maroon uniform as me are scattered in the hallway.

A sensation runs under my skin, the very same sensation I felt when I first arrived here. It tingles, but it's not painful. Ignoring it, I go to the elevator.

As expected, the elevator is really crowded. Well, probably more crowded than I ever saw.

Ding!

Everywhere I look, the maroon color of the students has overrun the cafeteria. It is loud. However, it feels fresh to me because this is a part of my new life.

A green carpet is underneath while the shade of the warm lighting projects a beam. The circular tables stand about my level. In the corner of my eyes, I notice the print on the carpet. The golden lines on the surface create an illusion that there's another thread weaved into its fabric. Is this a new design?

Suddenly, I feel something hard. In front of me is a male student who's gazing down at me. I bumped him. His face appears crumpled in a rigid expression.

"또 다른 하나?" the boy beside him says. "리처드 대님을 어떻게 다치게 할 수 있을까요?"

"어리석은! 그는 주인을 경멸하고 있습니다!" the bystanders says.

Why? Why have I forgotten to wear the translator?

Atleast, I need to speak the little Korean I know.

I bow. "I-i'm very sorry. I didn't mean to bump you. I admit I'm not looking on my way and was clumsy." he should understand that.

I lift my head once more, and our eyes meet for the very first time. A strange feeling comes to me. I can sense something from him, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Still, his expression remains crumpled as his purple eyes stare at me sharply. Thinking I should apologize again, I bury my head.

"Again, I'm very so-"

"당신의 행동을 중지합니다." his deep round voice pricks my ears.

I can't understand what he's fully saying, but he enunciates his words with certain harshness.

The floor underneath becomes soft in a moment, and it seems like I can just sink down. This isn't how I picture my first day to turn out. Just swallow me already.

Suddenly, a set of footsteps fades to the distance, and the mumbling dies down. Looking up, the boy and his friend are gone, and all the students are now queued at the counter as if nothing has happened. I compose myself to blend into the crowd. Then, I walk to the free line.

"Don't mind him." the American staff says. "He's always like that because of his position."

Her blue eyes shine, but in a different shade than Jeon. Hers is more neutral.

"Oh, it's fine. It's my fault anyway. I wasn't paying attention to what I'm doing."

She smiles."What do you want for today?"

"One breakfast burrito, please. Um... sausage, scrambled eggs, and hash browns for filling. I'll also take a salad sandwich."

"What filling would you like for the sandwich?"

"Just do it like the usual vegetable salad. Can you also add hard-boiled eggs?

"Ok."

She turns her back and starts preparing the order. After some time, she returns.

"Here it is."

"Thank you."

I exit the queue. Still, the cafeteria is full of students. Some of them shoot me a stare, but I don't pay attention. Instead, I hurry in returning to our unit.

Knock knock

"Jeon, I already got us food. I'll hand it to you later, ok?"

"Yes. Thank you for including me in your purchase."

"No problem."

The sun peeks behind the slit of the emerald green lace curtain inside of my room. Of a sudden, I remember the voice of the boy

""리처드 대님을 어떻게 다치게 할 수 있을까요?"

That's right, I forgot the translator. I get it inside the closet and plug it in my left ear.

While resting on the couch, I savor my food. The taste of the burrito isn't bad at all. It is delicious, but the magic of rice for breakfast is more appealing.

"Matt? I assume that you are already prepared." Jeon says on the other side of the door.

"I'm coming."

I walk to the door. Jeon greets me with a beaming smile.

"Good morning," I say.

"A pleasant morning to you."

His hair is damper than usual, but more than that, nothing's really changed. It's still the same disheveled look he got. Even his uniform looks wrinkly too. If Anne's here, he will surely get a mouthful of scolding.

"Aren't you excited for today?"

"I am. In fact, I, myself, am looking forward greatly to this school year."

We walk outside of the dormitories. I don't really notice before, but the uniform of the girls are very provocative. The length of their skirts is above the knee. Good for them that the wind is not blowing or else, they will get provoking stares from most boy students.

In no time, we are at the station. A crowd of cabs is parked on both sides. Not so strangely, it doesn't smell of smoke. On the other hand, students have already formed a queue.

"Let us ride the cab," Jeon says.

"Sure."

Entering the cab, he sits beside me. The warmth of the sun is immediately doused by the air conditioner's breeze. Out of nowhere, a citrusy scent seeps into my nose. Hmm? Why can I smell my body was when I used soap? I roam my head.

Apparently, the direction of the breeze is coming from Jeon, and so, the scent must be from him too. But on second thought, he's not crude. I might be mistaken.

"Do you need something?" he asks.

"No. No. I'm just looking at your hair because it's a different style from your usual get-up."

He averts his gaze to the window. "Yes. I... I wanted to try a new style."

"I see. Wish I can do that too."

"Why not try growing your hair a bit longer."

"Maybe I should try."

The cab continues to move forward even the number of vehicles on the road has increased. After a couple of minutes, we stop at the station.

I hand our fare to the driver.

"Thank you."

"Thank you for your patronage, sir."

On the sidewalk, the students walk shoulder-to-shoulder with their friends. Jeon pace himself while I move slower.

Because of my height, I can see everyone. Girls and boys, from all over the corner, are talking. Some of them even burst into laughter while others are using their phones.

"Matt."

I turn to Jeon. His face is stiff, similar to when someone is wincing.

"You are new to this school right?"

"Why do you ask?"

"I am just thinking because you will no acquaintances nor friends to accompany your daily expenditure in school."

I raise a brow.

"If you are fine with my proposition, would you like to be seatmate with me?"

That's it? I thought he's going to say something serious.

"Sure I'd like to."

"It should be well. We are only in our first year so changing seats and rooms are not yet implemented."

The center gate is open, but the wave of the crowd still doesn't slow down. I hear a cough. Turning my head, I become aware that Jeon is covering his mouth with his arm. Is he really not feeling well?

I pat his back. For some reason, he flinches.

"Please, do not scare me like that."

He gets a gray handkerchief and brings it to his mouth.

"I'm sorry, but are you sick? Because of what happened yesterday..."

He shakes a little. Then, his throat moves down.

"If you are worried about that, please, do not be bothered. I am really fine. Ah. I forgot. I made you purchase breakfast for me." he rummages inside his pocket. "Please accept my offer."

In his hand flutters a blue banknote in the wind.

"It's fine," I say. "Remember, we're friends right?"

"Your reasoning is out of the question. Our friendship has nothing to do with this." he pokes me. "Please take this as a favor."

"No. Really."

I speed my walk and leave him behind. Shortly, I feel a touch on my hand.

"You. Will. Take. This."

His eyes are blue, but the sunlight reflects on them, making them a bit green.

"Don't worry. I have enough allowance for the month."

His grip tightens. "Then, I have no choice but to force it to you."

He sticks the banknote to my back pocket. I dash forward, but his grip is so tight that I can't advance. Looking ahead, several eyes from the other students are directed at us.

"Wait, we're in the way of other students."

"I have no plan on loosening my grip until you accept my offer."

Are you serious?

Since we come to this, I do my last resort.

I turn around to bury my face in his hand.

0