Chapter 14: Nytalis
47 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 14: Nytalis

Sika leaned over the well-made wooden table and cocked her head at Michael. “So? How is it you can be twenty four years of age as an enkelyn, while clearly male and thus absolutely not a queen of your species?”

Her expression reminded Michael of his own grandfather at times when he was caught in a lie.

Her head bowed slowly and sternly while her eyes bored holes straight through him with one eyebrow slightly raised; a look that said unequivocally, “I am 100% done with your shit.”

Michael looked down nervously as his mind raced.

What do I say now?? If I tell her where I am really from, I'll be locked away for sure, tortured for information! And if they push me far enough and I break, they will discover the kind of technologies that exist on Earth... I'll never be free again!

You're an actor, Michael! Time to act! And this time, your life actually depends on your performance! Magic exists in this world, and you were moved here by magic. Just roll with that.

[All I can tell you is that I come from a far away place. I was transported to that forest, and I honestly have no idea where I am. You said this place is called Nytalis... I had never heard of it before the ants spoke of it. Never met talking ants before, either. I was actually terrified of them before they took me in just before I met you. All the ants I saw before I arrived in that forest would have killed and eaten me without a second thought. None were sapient, nor did they have fire magic.]

He paused briefly.

[This place is all new to me, as are nearly all of the creatures I have encountered. Where I come from, my people commonly lived to the age of 70-85 years, with some few surviving past 100 years. I’m still technically a young adult. In fact, since you are humans, it is likely me and that magical Lady Sionella are fairly close to the same age. Does that answer your question?]

That is... not what I was expecting. However, you are wrong about one thing. I am not human, and neither is Sionella.” Sika grabbed a simple wooden staff leaning against the wall near the table, and it quickly changed shape, becoming a recurve bow without a string.

[That's impressive magic, but I don't see what about that tells me you aren't human... If you aren't human, then what are you?] Michael cocked his head slightly to the left.

Sika turned the bow back into a staff and set it back down with an amused smile. She brought her hands up to her head and pulled her flowing locks of red hair away from her ears while flashing the cutest smirk he had ever witnessed. Michael's mandibles fell open.

[Wait... Are... No way! Are you an elf?!] He stammered.

Of course, silly! How many non-elven druids have you met in your lifetime? I'm obviously not a dwarf, or I'd be built strong and stout like Relynn! So you see, we are obviously not the same age. Not even close.” She smiled again.

[D-dwarves? Elves? Just where in the world have I ended up?] Michael said, only half-aware that he was speaking aloud.

Velrake Isle, young Michael! You mean to tell me you haven't seen an elf or a dwarf before you came here? And you have lived 24 years?” She looked at him askance.

[Wait! That means... Edana is also an elf?!] He looked at the young girl still crying in the chair.

I did say she was my sister. It's marvelous that you were paying attention.” Sika said sarcastically as she went to Edana and gently pulled her hair back as well, revealing the same pointed ears.

So there are evil elves as well, like in DnD... [I never would have guessed an elf would do something like... the things she's done.]

Indeed.” Sika's voice grew cold and bitter. “I never would have guessed my baby sister could or would do such things.”

That set Edana to crying again, and Sika sighed while she retrieved a pitcher to fill a wooden goblet with water. She brought it to her sister, who weepily said, “Th...ank... you,” before drinking it down. Then the young girl continued sniffling while tears rolled down her cheeks.

Michael watched pensively and thought to himself, It's strange. She's behaving as a totally different person, and doesn't seem like she is faking it at all. If this really is the same Edana who scared the literal shit out of me, there must be some kind of severe mental disorder going on. She must be extremely unstable. Or perhaps she really is just that damn good at acting? That might depend on how old she is...

He decided to risk annoying the elves in the name of information gathering. [Is it considered impolite for me to ask how old you both are?]

Edie is 62 years old and I am 127. Both of us are still too young to be considered adults. My younger sister especially so. Are you truly so unfamiliar with elven kind? My people live to approximately 2140 years on average. Neither of us will be considered fully mature until our 300th birthdays. Sionella is much closer, at 268 years old.” Sika said, matter-of-factly.

[Wait. Sionella is an elf, too? Riight. That actually makes sense, since she was using druid-type magic.] Michael mused aloud.

Yes, our eldest sister is truly amazing. She will be happy to know Edie has been found. But...” Sika trailed off while looking at her younger sibling and shaking her head.

Michael decided not to follow that rabbit-hole any further. I suppose I had better get busy hunting! I am only level 13, after all... Maybe Sika will know some good places for me to hunt. [Do you... know of any place where I could hunt or otherwise work to become stronger? I need to save her somehow.]

Who is it that needs saving, Michael?” Sika looked genuinely concerned.

[The first new friend I made after... I arrived in that forest. She's a mantis like me.] He replied.

Ah, so that's what you are called. And there is another like you. Curious... I have never seen a mantis before. You mentioned hunting. Are you predacious? Those front legs of yours don't look like they are just for giving hugs.” Sika gave him a wry smile.

[Yes, she is. And yes, we are predators. She was captured by an old, bearded man walking through that meadow late at night. He was holding a lantern, and used some kind of frost magic to knock us out before he took her away somewhere.] Michael clenched his forelegs as he spoke.

Viago. It must have been that half-witted, bratty Freelander mage. We have warned him before about being careful not to capture enkelyn when he goes out hunting for insects in the wild.” Sika facepalmed while speaking.

Does your friend have a name?” Sika asked.

[I... don't really know. She didn't mention anything. I was so distracted I forgot to ask...”

Sika looked up again with determination in her eyes. “Right. You are going to visit Zauna, while I pay a visit to our friend Viago. Come, Michael. When you speak with Zauna, be sure you tell the truth. She can sense when others lie.”

Sika shifted into her dragon fly form and scooped him up, then shot out the window and aimed down toward a relatively large, ant-filled tunnel that wound downward beneath an enormous tree in the center of the town. Michael managed to get a better look at Nytalis this time, and decided it looked an awful lot like a cross between a Swiss alpine village and a certain shire filled with halflings. Except this one was filled with ants. And a couple families of dwarves. And two elves. As far as Michael knew.

Into the tunnel they descended, as Sika deftly followed the curving tunnels and made a few hard corners before they entered a large underground cavern. All the while, the light-gray stone that lined both tunnels and cavern seemed to glow unnaturally, illuminating the entire space with its soft, pleasant, amber light.

In the center of the large cavern and attended by many smaller examples of her species stood a truly massive ant, many times larger than even Xochi, whose enormous presence had already intimidated the shit out of Michael.

[Is that-] Michael began.

[Queen Zauna.] Sika sent as they approached smoothly, nearing the cavern floor.

[Ah, Lady Sika. I see you have brought the mysterious Michael?] A suitably mother-like and comforting voice resounded in Michael's mind while her massive head turned slightly to regard him.

[It is so. I must be off to attend our Freelander problem-child Viago. It seems he may have abducted another of Michael's unique kind.] Sika responded.

[His questionable mercantile habits have proven... taxing. I thank you, Sika. Michael, we have much to discuss. Follow.] Zauna turned her considerable bulk with impressive agility and moved smoothly toward a large wooden pattern on the wall. As she approached, it seemed to come alive and grow itself open. Michael stopped to watch, and Zauna chastened him without looking back. [Make haste, young enkelyn. I have other matters to attend after this.]

Michael hurried after her, then turned to watch as the door grew back together.

[I have never encountered one of your species before, young Michael. That is your name, is it not? Pray tell me, what are you and from where have you come?] Zauna asked.

[Yes, my name is Michael. I am a mantis, and I come from very far away. I had never heard of Velrake Isle until Sika told me its name. A few days ago, I arrived in the forest near that meadow, and have been struggling to survive since.] Michael spoke truthfully.

[I see. And where exactly is this, “very far away?”]

Fuck. I've always made it a point to be honest throughout my life. Made it easier to look myself in the mirror. But if I give up certain information here it could mean I will be imprisoned and tortured. How do I answer this while being truthful, but without giving away too much? Umm... [From here? I honestly don't know. But likely far enough away that you will never have heard of it, just as I never knew of this island's existence.]

[I see. What is the name of this place from which you hail?]

Well shit. Not like any of them will know of it, so I might as well just say it. [California. A town called Turloque.]

[I see. You are correct. I have never heard of these places. Are there many of your kind in this nation of California?]

[Yes, there are many mantids. I don't know how many exactly, but it's likely to be millions or more.]

[Predacious social insects who live in such numbers? How could such a population possibly sustain itself without exhausting the supply of available prey?] Zauna twitched her antennae thoughtfully.

[Mantids like me are usually not very social, to be honest. California is an extremely large place, and mantids do not grow very large. Thus, our numbers hardly impact the availability of prey.]

[If this California is so large, it seems unlikely I would never have heard of it. Which nation is it near, or adjacent to?] She cocked her head slightly.

[The... nearest country to California is called Mexico.] Shit. She's just going to keep asking questions if I continue to use names of places she doesn't know. But I don't know the names of any of this world's nations! What else can I do if she will know when I lie? This could get ugly...

[Again, a place I have yet to hear of, though you speak truly. Fascinating. Then I shall ask you; Do you know of Hearthwood, New Freeland, Khoviria, Fuutsuba, Brandell, Catwick, Kigrund, or Dakan?]

[I have heard Sika mention Hearthwood, and she referred to that Viago as a, “Freelander.” However, I have no idea where either of those places are. I have never once heard of the other nations you mentioned.]

[Truly fascinating. Are you even from this world, I wonder?] She said, the question sounding rhetorical for which Michael was grateful.

Michael was silent until Zauna spoke again. [Will you answer my question, young Michael?]

Oh fuck... Here we go. [I... do not believe so.]

Her huge antennae twitched. [A half-truth. Please state the entire truth, young Michael. Are you from our world?] Zauna's voice was noticeably less pleasant, and Michael began to feel anxious.

[I... do not want to answer that question.] Michael responded, failing miserably as he attempted to keep his voice steady.

[If you wish to remain here in Nytalis, I require complete honesty from you. No harm will come to you if you answer me truthfully, young Michael, no matter if you are from this world or not. You have my word.] Zauna remarked, obviously losing patience with him.

She's trying to entrap me. She found out I am not from here, and she'll grill me until I spill everything. And then I probably lose my freedom forever... Michael clenched his mandibles and forelegs hard, while his brain raced, searching for anything that could diffuse his current situation.

[Why does it matter where I come from? I was brought here by Sika after I arrived in that forest against my will. I did not come here to invade your town or upend anything you hold dear. I just want to go and find my kidnapped friend and go back to the forest with her. If you don't want me here in Nytalis I will leave. But I would really rather not talk about where I come from. That memory... is very painful for me.] Rihelah's beautiful smile flashed across his mind, and he suddenly felt very sad.

[You speak truthfully, but still you deliberately avoid answering my question. Where you come from matters to me because I must know if your home is the one from which our Lord's enemies hail. Do people from California treat each other in this same manner? Do they withhold information from one another? Is their society truly so backward and self-serving as to keep secrets?] Zauna asked, clearly both concerned and annoyed.

[To be honest, I have no idea who your Lord is, and I am completely certain my home is not where his enemies come from. People from California are often horrible to one another. Not all, but most of them are self-serving and willing to use others to serve their own ends. It's not something I am proud of, but that is the kind of place I lived in. Yes, most of them keep secrets. Actually, I believe all of them do, to some degree. To be honest, I have never encountered a situation like this before where I was faced with someone who could tell without any doubt whether I am answering her questions truthfully.]

[Fascinating. Frustrating, but fascinating. You answer without answering. Having spoken truthfully that your home is not the place from which our Lord's enemies hail, I shall afford you the opportunity to stay here with us in Nytalis. You may also choose to leave if you wish. However, know that I will have your behavior watched carefully until such time as you decide to answer my questions fully, or until you otherwise prove yourself to us. We fire ants value truth and our Lord Auronox above all else. That is the name of our Lord, young Michael. I pray this gesture of good might sway your heart toward honesty in all things.]

Zauna paused for a moment. For his part, Michael felt ashamed that he was uncomfortable being fully honest, but his fear was simply too strong. While he agonized over this moral dilemma, Zauna continued. [Auronox is the God of this world, which He named Edon. I shall have you meet with Bogdin for a place to stay this night. I bid you refrain from any form of violence within our walls, or against our people while outside the walls of Nytalis. Attacking or otherwise harming another person, regardless of species, is strictly forbidden except in cases where you must act in self-defense. Think long and hard upon these things, and may you walk the path of Balance, young Michael. Follow.]

A thoroughly-relieved Michael was ushered out of Zauna's private chamber, once more marveling at the door and the glowing stone. An ant chosen by the queen then led him back toward the surface.

Zauna turned to her head general, Xochi. [Has there been word from Lady Sionella regarding Tarmek?]

Xochi shook her head, and Zauna's mandibles clenched before she continued. [Tran's children; have they awakened?]

The same reply came, and Zauna shook her own head in response. [I fear we may be approaching the end of peaceful times, Xochi. May Lord Auronox grant that they have not ended already...]

-----

While the ant led him past innumerable others in silence, Michael's thoughts strayed to dark places. Zauna said they value truth. That means every creature in this town will soon know that I am not from this world. I have to get out before someone reasons out that I could be a fine source of information and technology from Earth... Seen too many films about things like this, and even if there are no humans in this strange town that I've seen... aside from what they have told me, I know essentially nothing about actual elves, dwarves, and these enkelyn. Words are cheap, of course. Despite her grandiose claims of truth and serving her Lord, there's no telling if Zauna will actually allow me to leave her town if I try to. Moreover, what if her Lord, this Auronox, decides my origins are interesting. If he even exists, that is. Earth has many religions, and nobody really knows for sure if any of them are true. There's really no proof one way or another. This world is magic, though... so who knows? His ant-guide turned down a smaller tunnel.

A smaller tunnel. I hope to fuck this doesn't lead to holding cells... Fuck! This whole situation just feels bad. I hadn't intended to tell anyone about my origins. Why the fuck did this town have to be built around a giant ant who is essentially a foolproof lie detector?! The nest had a strange smell, too. Odd chemicals, if not entirely unpleasant. Ahh fuck... I bet these ants are using chemical signals to tell each other all about me without revealing their communication... Damn. I just need to keep it together for now. There is nothing to be done about what's been revealed. I'm probably fucked, but I may find a way out of this place if I'm careful. Maybe Sika will fly me out if I ask her. She seemed nice enough... I think. That's probably my best bet at this point.

Upon exiting the huge nest, Michael and his stoic ant-guide ascended onto a raised bridge that appeared as if it had been grown rather than constructed. Stout vines resembling the trunks of trees ascended from the ground every so often to support a horizontal pathway with its smooth, flat top fit for easy travel, while broad triplets of leaves spread out to either side and hung below. Looking around, Michael noted there were other such arthropod highways connecting to various structures and with one another. All of them seemed to converge back to the enormous tree beneath which the ants had built their surprisingly clean nest. Michael was led quite far from the tree and over a small, leafy bridge to a relatively-large building of wood and stone. He found himself unable to read the writing upon the sign hanging above the entrance clearly fashioned especially for the ants. Huh. So I can understand the telepathic messages and spoken words of Edon's strange people due to my skills, but their writing, not so much. He eyed the huge ant he was following. Hmmm. Probably best if I am cheerful in any case. If I go around acting like I have something to hide, they'll absolutely take notice. Remember, just like on the stage, your attitude will absolutely affect the perceptions and motivations of others, Michael. Be cool. Be- Holy shit!

They passed through the entrance, revealing the warm and cheerful interior of a large inn the like of which Michael had only ever dreamt about after reading fantasy novels. The primary difference being this one had purpose-built pathways and seating/standing areas that were clearly built for sapient arthropods. The clientele was mostly ants, of course. The majority of those ate and drank upon a loft-like space high above the main-level area built for humanoids. All at once the tantalizing aroma of spit-roasted meats rolled over Michael's antennae and his palps went absolutely nuts, quivering madly in anticipation. Despite the hunger quickly growing in his stomach, his mind wandered back to his situation as he followed the ant-guide down a sloped wooden pathway along the wall toward an enkelyn-focused service area upon the bar below.

It all makes sense. Ant colonies are usually composed of thousands of individuals or more. Especially so after they have time and enough food to really become established. This place has likely been here for decades and... Michael recognized Bogdin, who was enjoying banter with two other bearded men and marveled at their thick, Scottish-style brogue.

There's that Bogdin guy who was with Relynn, the female dwarf. He's... Wait! He's also a dwarf?! He must be! The beard, stocky, powerful build, and his accent! I wonder if that part is just my own perception based off his appearance; perhaps that might be affecting how I interpret things through my telepathy skill? Could my pre-existing bias toward dwarves sounding Scottish somehow bleed into the way my skill translates their speech? Then again, Relynn sounded this way to me when I thought she was just a stocky human. There is absolutely zero chance anyone on this world speaks English to begin with, so it's certain everything is being translated. Wait. The system interface is rather game-like... What if I ended up with my dying consciousness somehow inserted into some kind of twisted, next generation full-immersion VR software undergoing testing?? If that's the case... Fucckk. That would mean I'm still on Earth, and this chance for a new start is all a damned lie... A fabrication! With the pandemic, I guess that's possible. It's actually more likely than being reincarnated on some magical world, on a scale of zero to totally fucking insane.

Oy! Are ye awake, laddie? Liqi 'ere jus' introduced ye?!” Michael was startled out of his thoughts by Bogdin's bemused yell, and backed away slightly when he noticed a thick, enormous hand waving in front of him along with the bemused face of the heavily-bearded dwarf who'd been trying to get his attention. Michael's ant-guide waved to Bogdin with one antenna, then turned to exit the inn without a word.

Ah asked what ye'd like tae eat! Queen Zauna 'erself provided fer ye tae stay wi' us! Dae ye fancy a cut o' meat, then?” The dwarf showed a large skewer with something that looked similar to a roast turkey leg. Perfect caramelization on its skin as it slowly dripped rendered fat onto the silvery platter it rested upon. The intoxicating smell wafting toward him made Michael feel as if his eyes would roll back in his head. That was physically impossible in his case, but the feeling remained nonetheless.

[I... Holy... after everything I... That food smells damned incredible!] Michael sputtered while reaching out toward the meat with his forelegs. The dwarf brought a long carving knife up and gestured toward three different choices. The first of those was a large metal box housing many crustaceans of various sizes that moved about slowly upon many legs. The second resembled a lightly-marbled and beautifully-seared pork loin, with the last being the aforementioned poultry leg. Michael's eyes were fixated on the skin of that, eliciting memories of when he learned to properly barbecue chicken from his father.

He gestured enthusiastically to the poultry leg, and Bogdin's eyebrows lifted for a moment. “Are... ye sure, laddie...?”

[It looks amazing, and I have to try it! I've never had meat roasted over a dwarven fire...] Michael was spellbound by the opportunity.

Bogdin chuckled with a cheerful grin and carved a tiny slice away, then expertly laid that upon a tiny silver dish and presented it before Michael in one smooth, practiced motion. “Ha! I'll stake mah life on th' taste! Ye'll nae find better'n mah meat fer leagues aroun'!”

Mmm... Debatable, laddie!” One of the other seated dwarves said through a mouthful of food while pointing at Michael with a half-eaten rib. All three dwarves erupted into laughter while Michael tore into his own meal with reckless abandon.

Sae ye know, th' privy is through tha' door...” Bogdin muttered, nodding meaningfully toward a small arched portal at the end of the bar.

Michael thought he caught a mix of concern and amusement in the dwarven innkeeper's eyes, but he dismissed that as his own compound eyes took in the incredible meal before him.

Michael hoisted the cut of meat in all its warm, savory goodness and nearly lost his footing when the incredible, slightly-spicy flavor hit his palps alongside that heavenly aroma. He noticed Bogdin's eyes upon him as his mandibles carved into it with abandon.

Ohhh... I don't know what this meat is or how it's spiced, but fuck! I damned-well want to! After days spent chewing into still-living insects and spiders... Mmmmm. I bet that female mantis would love this, too. Damn it all... If only that weasel of a mountain man hadn't stolen her away! The bastard's expression reminded me of the worst kind of used car salesman, who'd make you careful to protect both your wallet and your women. There's almost no doubt he had some plan to trade or sell her off. Or eat her... Who knows what people do in this crazy world? Damn it, she was actually fun to be around. It almost felt like I already knew her somehow... Bah, that makes no sense. It's probably just that we're similar species. Still, I have to get her back! Maybe Sika could help me find her?? She said she was headed out to find that “Viago”... If he's the same wiry old bastard I'm looking for... Well, I just hope the nameless mantis is safe! Damn, this is delicious!

After Michael had eaten just a few bites of the meat, he felt a twinge of discomfort building within his abdomen. Oh, fuck me. Why the hell does this new body choose this moment for something like this?! Can't it wait until after I can at least finish the first proper meal I've had since I arrived??

His discomfort increased rapidly, and Michael's antennae swept backward in apprehension as he suddenly bolted away, heading back toward the entrance. He only made it halfway there before his backside released a few bubbles of gas. The sound was actually quite high-pitched and pitiful. The dwarves didn't notice a thing, preocuppied by food, ale, and good-natured bouts of humor.

What the hell?? It's not stopping! OH SHIT!! It's too damned wet to be a bubble of gas! Fuck!!

Michael turned in place while looking around and yelling desperately, [Hey Bogdin! Where is your toilet?!]

Mah wha' now? Wha's a toylitt supposed tae be then, laddie? Ah dinnae serve nuthin' called by tha' name!” Bogdin snickered.

[The bathroom, head, lavatory??] Michael began to tap around with his legs in desperation as he clenched his cloaca like his life depended on it.

Dae ye nae remember what Ah said, laddie? Th' privy; 'tis tha' way! Dinnae go emptyin' yer wee frass-hole inside mah Inn!” Bogdin pointed to that small arched doorway grown into the end of the platform upon which he'd been served his food. All three of the dwarves erupted into laughter with their eyes upon him as Michael stiffly raced back downward and then across the bar.

Damn it, this is so fucking awkward! The roiling in his gut had practically reached volcanic eruption status by the time he passed through the small door and down a short hallway. Why the fuck did I have to eat cooked food?? I know from experience that my mantids couldn't eat cooked meats! I'm an idiot!

Four separate doorways led to small chambers. Michael dashed into the first one on his right without slowing down, then beat a hasty retreat when he found it was occupied by a dark brown, ten-legged widow-shaped spider nearly twelve times his size.

[Manners! Call out and ask if the privy is occupied before you enter, child! Such nerve!] An irritated matronly voice spoke into his mind as Michael turned and bolted from the room.

[I'm sorry! Never been here before!] He moved quickly and painfully toward the opening across the hall.

[Save your excuses and pray leave me be!] The spider snapped at him.

Michael entered another space, also large enough for one many times his own size. Inside the chamber, a dark tunnel sloped downward into its back wall. Illumination was provided by a quartet of small, luminous bulbs grown out of the ceiling high above him.

Michael raced toward the back wall and spun around, feeling like his entire backside was about to rupture. This tunnel... It must be. There isn't anything else... No time to ask... FUCK!!

The next four minutes might as well have been four hours as far as he was concerned. Michael's backside burned terribly as he evacuated the contents of his entire digestive system into that dark void within the wall. Strangely, there was no smell at all, and he was unable to hear the sounds of his own bodily functions except for the vibrations that traveled through his own chitinous frame. Even stranger was the fact that after he'd finished and walked forward to check himself, the hole in the wall had somehow wicked away any mess that had accumulated upon his cloaca.

How in the world?? That's amazing! Here I thought I was going to suffer through the worst self-made diarrhea miasma of my life, and yet... How the hell does this thing work? He turned and peered into the hole, his antennae facing forward while quivering with curiosity. Then their tips passed through some invisible barrier and the smell caused him to recoil.

Michael stumbled backward and dry-heaved for a few seconds. AUGH!! Poop-chute stank!! P'toooooo!! What the fuck is wrong with me?! I just wantonly shoved my body's equivalent of a nose directly into the equivalent of a sewer pipe! This is one of those things I could have simply asked about! What if I stick my antennae into something that can burn them off next time? Sure, they'll grow back... but fuck!

He shook his abdomen and made a conscious effort to walk normally back onto the bar. As he emerged, one of the dwarves who'd been wiping his mouth with a gray cloth napkin elbowed the other and pointed while clearing his throat. Bogdin turned with the other two dwarves, and all three visibly held in their laughter while watching Michael approach. The spider he'd walked in upon in the bathroom was now standing upon the bar as well, her long fangs buried deep in between the head and body of one of those twelve-legged whitish-green crustacean-like arthropods that vaguely resembled a woodlouse. Its legs twitched slightly. She did not turn herself to look at him, but he thought he could feel the spider's eyes judging him.

I get it! I fucked up. Awkward mantis...

[I... Um... Is it possible that I can get something like what she's having?] Michael said quietly as he gestured toward the spider.

While retrieving that metal box from beneath the counter with a forcibly-stoic face, Bogdin remarked, “Ah was wonderin' aboot yer unusual interest in mah dwarven cuisine, laddie! Many enkelyn enjoy th' smell o' course, but nae tae many as can stomach it! Ye'd have tae be a scavenger type, laddie. Ah was'nae certain if ye were one o' them, but Ah knew if ye made th' wrong choice ye'd be a'right. After a while, tha' is!” Bogdin said carefully.

Then, unable to hold back any longer, Bogdin blurted out quickly, “But Ah must say, yer trip tae th' privy came a wee-bit quicker than Ah'd anticipated, an' lasted far longer than most!! Did ye achieve yer destination 'afore th' tairrible mudslide??” All three dwarves erupted into laughter again. The black-bearded dwarf on the left tried to hold it in before spraying a fresh mouthful of ale against the bar counter. Then he cursed his own wastefulness while the other dwarf and Bogdin steadied themselves against the bar.

[Truly, child... You, an obvious carnivore, attempted to consume their form of charred sustenance?] The spider asked askance while shaking her meal back and forth slightly as if shaking her head.

[I never had a problem with it before...] Michael blurted out before he realized. Oh shit. There I go again, talking about my past life... How the hell do I talk my way out of this one?

[Child! Whatever has possessed you to consume dwarven food in the past? Do you lack any concern at all for your own health? Where are your parents? I would speak with them!] The spider said, exasperated, while a recovered Bogdin opened that metal box and retrieved another, smaller terrestrial crustacean for Michael.

[I just... I meant... I'll see myself out!] Michael bolted back along the route by which he'd entered. Fucking awkward mantis... Acting skills, Michael! You have them! Why can't you use them when it counts??

Dae ye nae wish tae eat nothin' then, laddie?” Bogdin asked quizzically, furrowing his bushy brows while proffering the wriggling crustacean.

Michael continued upward and darted out of the inn, turning right at that lifted arthropod highway to continue onward, deliberately away from the huge tree beneath which lay the ants' nest. While traveling through the torchlit village he noted most of the humanoid residents had already turned in for the evening. Ants still moved about everywhere, which came as no surprise. Before long he recognized Sika's cottage and eventually found a path to the ground made his way over.

The window shutters were still open, the lamplight still glowing from within. He called out, [Sika! Are you home? It's Michael...]

No response came from within, and so Michael opted to be polite and wait outside upon one of the fern-like plants in a river-stone ringed planter beneath the window.

This is much better. At least here, I am camouflaged and should be relatively safe! Relatively. Even in gardens that use a lot of pesticides, there are often tons of insects and spiders. Damn. I'd better not let my guard down just because I'm in a village. Then again, maybe the ants keep things like that away? Hmm. Better not risk being complacent, just in case.

The sound of sniffling came from within, and soon that turned to the sound of a young girl crying. Edana...

I never hurt anyone... It wasn't me. I can't even remember leaving Nytalis, but everyone... tells me I... That I...” She began sobbing. “I would... never hurt...” She sniffed quickly a few times. “But... but no...body believes... meee...” Her voice trailed off into high-pitched wailing, and Michael's chitin crawled with the eerie way it all sounded like the elven child actually believed it.

I remember your real voice and your true behavior, Edana. You can't fool me with this performance! He clenched his forelegs and mandibles. She probably heard me call out for Sika, and decided to put on this act to make herself sound innocent. Then again, what good would it do for her to convince me? I'm literally nobody in this village. Still, there's something weird about her. Something dangerous. Better if I just stay silent. Yes. Best if she doesn't know I'm still here. Maybe she'll reveal her true self!

A few minutes passed before any further words came from within. All the while, little Edana sniffled and cried in that eerily-convincing way she had, and Michael found it difficult to restrain his anger toward this elf who had so wronged him.

B...but what if... What if I...” Edana started again and trailed off for a moment, then continued, “If I really... hu...uuurt those... people? If I... k-k-killed...?” She squealed. “Sister says... they really... saw me... If I did those... things... I w-would... deserve... But... why is this... happening? What did I... doooo? Lord Aur-ronox! Please help me! I don't... remember hu-uuurting anyone! I w-wouldn't! I... I... Whyy-hyyy??” She grew hoarse and started sobbing uncontrollably once again.

Fuck. This girl is one amazing actor. Michael shook his head slightly in the cooling night air. But I won't be taken in by her performance. There is nothing someone can say to come back from everything she's done. If she really murdered 60 sapient arthropods, that's a damned atrocity! She deserves every bit of-

A bluish-white light caught Michael's eyes as it crested the enormous hedge that ringed the village and raced down to the window, slowing before it entered the house. The sound of elven feet could be heard softly touching the floor a moment later.

Michael thought of the other mantis and wasted no time getting to the point as he leapt to the wall and ascended rapidly toward the window. [Sika! It's Michael! Do you have any news about that human? Can I come in?] He crested the windowsill and witnessed Sika in the process of tying up her long red hair.

Michael!? I had not expected you here so late! Zauna should have provided a place for the evening... However, your friend is in danger and in need of assistance. Yes, you may enter.” She said, sounding tired.

As Michael approached, she held out a hand for him to walk onto. “I spoke with Viago and learned he was the one who took her. She did not reveal her sapience to him or the man to whom she was subsequently sold. The one who paid for her was ranting about having lost her and... complaining... to his woman when I arrived.” She paused a moment to inhale deeply and shake her head, then continued. “Fortunately, it seems the “shiny bug” escaped from that man despite being... mmm... restrained.” Sika cleared her throat after that last word as she gestured for Michael to climb onto a plant resting upon a shelf. He did so in silence.

I reported her captor's cruelty to Paladin Rugar after I had finished my investigation. However, we should not expect much of the Freedom Watch. New Freeland's presence here is just shy of an invasion, and their numbers grow year by year. I fear eventually they will claim this isle as their own and seek to remove all non-human sapients, just as they have in their own lands. Thus, we cannot rely upon them for aid. Much the opposite, I fear. They respect my people, and even the worst among their number would dare not raise a hand against me, and yet...” The elven girl ranted, her bitter tone revealing no small amount of distaste.

Enough about them. Suffice to say your friend has likely hidden herself within the forest near their watch post, not far from Nytalis. We must look for her tomorrow, and I will need your help. I searched about, calling for her, but I fear she may have mistaken me for my sister as you did...” She sighed, looking at the tearful Edana with tired eyes.

Sika brought another goblet of water to her younger sister, and helped the girl to drink. “It breaks my heart, Edie. I had hoped to avoid such humiliation, but we have no choice. Tomorrow, Zauna will test your words for truth. Please, please... For the love of Auronox, do not embarrass our people in front of her.”

I... Won't lie. I ...promise.” Edana said while locking eyes with her sister.

Sika sighed and turned to Michael. “After my sister's meeting with Zauna, we'll go to look for your lost friend. Will you be comfortable upon that plant for the night, Michael? I am quite tired, and must prepare myself and my sister for sleep.”

Michael realized the small cottage had only a single room. [I... um. Should I go outside while you...]

Worry not.” Sika waved him off. “You have been allowed into this house, and therefore will not be asked to leave. So long as you find the accommodations comfortable, that is enough. Let us rest now.” She untied her sister from the chair and moved her to one of three beds, where she tied her hands and feet securely to each of the four posts, then covered the girl with a blanket and placed a small pillow beneath her head. With a wave of Sika's hand, the lamps dimmed and winked out as she laid herself upon one of the other beds.

It must be horrible for Sika, Michael thought grimly to himself, though his mind soon wandered to the other mantis and her spectacular appearance, and then on to his past life. Heh. It's hilarious that I was fool enough to say yes to that Rebecca when she first approached me. I knew damn-well she wasn't my type, or even worth my time. But I chose convenience over patience.

I should have ignored her and reached out to Rihelah instead. She was actually a good person. Rihelah treated others with respect instead of just using them. If I had chased her, I'd probably still be... Damn it... I wish I could have seen her one last... time...

Michael found himself drifting off into torpor.

2