Chapter 20: A Close Shave
23 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 20: A Close Shave

Deciding to observe for a time before actively hunting, Michael clung to the underside of the same leaf-like structure Rihelah had hidden beneath prior to entering the wondrous, draconically-altered space within the tree itself.

He quietly and stealthily looked on while the subterranean world went about its business around him.

Scattered groups of the glowing green arthropods they had seen earlier now roved about lazily, climbing up one tree-like plant after another. They stopped in the upper reaches of each for a time before moving on.

I wonder if I could take one of those? Too bad they're social. I bet they'd swarm me if I pissed one off. Then again, they might just be out hunting for something like Michael-sized to eat... Probably best to leave them be.

Michael spotted the subdued yellow glow of another scolumendra centipede banishing the shadows within a stand of dark foliage as it weaved about semi-frantically in search of a meal. When it drew a bit closer, he noted the body was so dark it barely reflected light at all, while the bright yellow lure that hung upon a thin stalk directly above and in front of its face was actually quite inviting.

The glow was soothing in a way, promising warmth and comfort. His mantis instinct nudged him forward just a bit on the leaf.

Michael shuddered as he stopped himself. Fuck no! What the hell is wrong with this body?! My mind knows it's a trap, but still...

The longer he watched the light, the greater the unnerving, unnatural curiosity grew.

In a last desperate bid to prevent himself charging headlong into the jaws of death, Michael darted down into the doorway.

He fell to his suddenly-human knees panting and clutching his quickly-numbing face. Pain reminiscent of the pounding headache one gets from a severe hangover crept up through the back of his head from his spine, crashing like a wave and stopping just short of his forehead while wrapping toward his ears.

Fuck! What the hell was that?!” He spat through clenched teeth.

It was only then he spotted the notifications that had appeared, and which both his eyes and brain had conveniently ignored.

You begin to feel drawn toward a predator's lure.

Intelligence has increased to 35!

Your mind is soothed as you experience the allure of a predator's soothing glow.

Intelligence has increased to 36!

You begin losing your will to resist the light's call.

Intelligence has increased to 37!

You have escaped from the call of a predator's lure.

That was bullshit! A damned light started taking over my mind?!” Michael said to his hands, which had only just ceased clutching at his head.

Michael! Are you okay?!” Rihelah cried out as she rushed into the room and knelt in front of him, her eyes filled with concern and searching his for answers.

He looked at her with a haunted expression, then curled himself up slightly while speaking. “The centipede. Its light. Mind magic. I almost followed it and-”

Rihelah wrapped him in a hug. “We stick together from now on, okay? I was worried about you being out there alone!”

His eyes looked up to meet hers and his headache eased slightly. “Y-yeah. But whatever you do, you can't look directly into the light from those damned things. It just draws you in, and... I got notifications from it. More intelligence increases. I think it's mental attacks that do it, or maybe mental stress? Something like that. And it hits hard. Almost as hard as the dragon. I never thought... It's only a centipede, and yet...”

Okay. I won't look at their lights if I can help it.” She pulled back and looked at him with a slight smile. “But I am happy you're safe! You know, while you were out I created a couple more spells, and I've already picked two! Wanna see?” Her kind smile widened as she spoke, and Michael's pain dulled just a little more in response.

He numbly followed Rihelah toward the magic training space that had been provided while trying to ignore the ache that persisted within his head. I have so much to work on... How am I supposed to survive, let alone protect her? Isn't this supposed to be a time of rest? If so, then why do I feel worse than ever?

Rihelah excitedly talked, leading him by the hand and frequently looking back with that high-voltage smile of hers. But Michael simply nodded very slightly, his mind somehow not registering a single word she spoke along the way.

When they reached the practice area, she sat him down next to her upon a comfortable bench near the doorway. She said something with a slight frown and he just nodded again. One of her eyebrows raised slightly and her mouth tightened. Her whole body radiated annoyance. Michael tried to keep his attention upon her but found himself unable to say a word.

Rihelah lowered her head while maintaining eye contact and began to stare him down.

The pain in his head spiked without warning and Michael winced as his vision swam. He lost his balance while squeezing his eyes tightly shut in agony. Rihelah caught him just before he toppled forward off the bench.

After a moment that seemed far too long, he opened his eyes to blink away tears and Rihelah's expression had turned to one of genuine concern. He shook his head a tiny bit and gestured to his forehead.

He felt her softness embrace him, and they sat together in silence for a few minutes while his headache ebbed and flowed. Each time, the pain receded further.

Finally, Rihelah pulled back a little and spoke again. This time he heard her. “Are you okay?”

Michael shook his head ever so slightly, trying not to aggravate his headache. His body felt stiff and parched. His throat was dry, and he looked down to see that his jeans were soaked.

Rihelah moved forward again and held him for another few minutes before the pain receded far enough and he spoke at last.

Mind attack. Messed me up. Head hurts.” His words were slow, deliberate, and monotonous.

Your eyes are so red! Do you need anything? Maybe the medicine cabinet will have something!” She spoke with urgency as she began to stand.

Michael wavered a bit on the bench and she hurriedly sat back down to steady him.

Thirsty.” He groaned after clearing his throat.

She nodded, then helped him back into the nearest of the two kitchens, seated him at the table and poured him a tall glass of water. He downed it in one pull, then staggered to the sink where he ducked his head beneath the tall kitchen faucet and drank for nearly two full minutes.

Rihelah whispered, “Holy shit...”

Something about that scolumendra.” He said at last, as his headache finally reached a manageable level of pain. “I don't know what that light did when I looked at it, but it sure fucked me up good.”

Your pants are wet! What happened?” She leapt across the kitchen to grab the towel from the handle of the oven, then pressed it against his thighs.

Michael responded, “Headache. Worst I've ever felt. Made my eyes water like crazy, I guess. Probably why I was dehydrated. Might have been thirsty to begin with. Don't know.”

Maybe you should lie down...” She suggested.

He nodded.

She helped him upstairs and into his bed, then searched the medicine cabinets in all four bathrooms of the two houses only to find they held nothing. Shit.

By the time she returned to him with another glass of water, Michael was fast asleep. She set it upon his nightstand, then seated herself at his desk chair while facing him and holding his hand with both of hers.

The next thing she knew, Rihelah was startled awake as she fell to her knees and her face brushed against the hanging bedspread. The office chair bumped into the desk behind her as it rolled away.

Fuck it. Too tired.” She whispered to herself wearily as she climbed onto the bed with Michael.

He turned away from her and mumbled angrily, “Damn you, Rebecca...”

Rihelah's tired eyes shot open. Oh shit... He was in a relationship with someone before we died? Damn it, I'm such a fool! He lost both his life and his love less than a week ago, and here I've been hoping for...

Her face went numb as tears ran down her cheeks.

Oh, Michael, I'm so sorry. I didn't know...

Frustrated by the timing of it all, Rihelah quietly cried herself to sleep.


Feeling like she might collapse of exhaustion once again, Sionella changed course toward the North once she was out of visual range of enemy soldiers who were busy ransacking and razing the remains of Nytalis.

Concern regarding their enemy's origins took center stage as she did her best to push the stress of not having found Sika out of her mind. They prove too disciplined... too strong and tenacious to hail from any known human nation upon the continent.

She kept her flight low and relatively slow, feeling grateful for the fact that most airborne predators would instinctively avoid druids at all costs.

Unable to keep herself long from pondering her apparent failure, she bared her sharp draconic fangs in frustration. Dear sister, I shall make another attempt to seek thee out erelong!

She clenched her jaw as she considered the enemy she had fought against for days with precious little rest. Wretched butchers! What interest have they in so small an island, to send so many who are so well-trained?

What shall they gain by the slaughter of the meek and the helpless? I must seek mother's counsel. Perhaps she may know aught of this ruthless army and its origins. These humans hath proven loathsome as tales of the fallen Empire itself. I pray they are not the enemy we now face...

After following the road for several leagues, she caught sight of cookfires within a wide ravine a quarter-league's march to the West of the road along a game trail. Circling wide for a moment, she confirmed it was the evacuees from Nytalis who had made camp for the evening.

She surveyed the area, checking to see if the fires were visible from any direction.

Well done, Master Bogdin. She took some comfort in his abundance of caution.

Swooping down, she landed beside Edana and took her own form.

Her younger sister hugged her immediately, then looked at her with worried, emotionally-drained eyes.

Sionella wearily shook her head. “There hath been no sign thus far. I shall search for her again on the morrow. Come, we must rest.”

Edana nodded sadly, then fell in behind her like a lost puppy.

Looking around the temporary encampment, Sionella was pleased with the order and efficiency of it all. One of the cookfires had already been extinguished as the dwarves sat down to eat.

Gnuff Evenbrew lifted his head to politely refuse freshly-cooked food when Relynn offered. Tracks from rivers of tears stained both his cheeks below swollen eyes. Now, lacking even a simple task to keep himself occupied, the full weight of his loss had crashed down upon the dwarf like an anvil dropped from the sky. He rocked in a fetal position upon the ground while shuddering from his quiet sobs.

Petra... Oh, Lord Auronox, Lisanne... Mah bonnie wife... Mah wee child... Why nae me instead? Please, Lord Auronox, Ah beg Ye! Take Mah life in exchange! Ah'll give Ye everythin', fer all eternity... Without Mah girls, Ah have... nothin'...

Relynn finished her own meal and came to him with a waterskin. This time, she insisted until he drank.

The others did their best to give him space while also making the effort to see that he was looked after. All present had lost friends and loved ones, but Gnuff came upon his dying wife and child just moments after he and Bogdin had been freed from within the inn's basement.

He'd helplessly watched his love and his baby die frostbitten while gasping for breath and unable to speak. Petra had held Lisanne tightly as both were pinned through their stomachs to the wall inside their own home, upon the blade of a sword in the lifeless hands of a frozen Freedom Watchman whose face still wore a look of hateful satisfaction.

All of them knew there would be no rest for the bereft father and husband this night.

Bogdin had already shaped a sizable, furnished hut for the ants and those few humanoids present. She entered to find Zauna resting atop her own raised, ten-story partition to one side, attended by a few dozen of her remaining children along with all of her eggs and larvae.

[Lady Sionella, I have instructed my scouts to keep watch in shifts. If anything draws near, we shall know of it.] The queen ant moved closer as she spoke, then lowered her head.

[Old friend, I wish to thank you personally, and on behalf of my colony. I know that what you did was not easy, and... We are grateful for our salvation.] Zauna did her best to keep her voice steady despite the thousands of children she had lost.

Thou art most welcome, dear friend.” Sionella said with a pained, compassionate smile as she fought to avoid revealing how close she was to tears.

Zauna nodded in understanding, then returned to speaking with her family using chemical signals so as not to disturb any who now sought rest.

Completely exhausted from having fought and flown again, Sionella fell to her tired knees, then climbed into one of the magically-created cots. Edana joined her, the two cuddled together and within seconds both were fast asleep.


Deep beneath the island, one of many luminous creatures within the enormous cavern passed through an invisible barrier which had been meant only for Rihelah and Michael.

Silently, it advanced through the unfamiliar space. It took its time, stopping frequently to marvel at many wondrous, alien works of art and craftsmanship. Especially intriguing were the pictures hanging on the walls. It stopped to gawk at those while trying to figure out if they might suddenly come to life.

The digital clock upon the microwave over the stove in Michael's childhood home caught its attention and it stared in wonder at the strange symbols formed by elongated hexagonal shapes.

It leaned closer, inadvertently turning a knob that activated the largest, left-front electric burner.

It jumped back with surprise when the surface upon which its front limb had rested grew warm. It reached out with one of its limbs to test the surface again, then recoiled as it sensed increasing heat from within.

Bewildered, it moved away, spotting a staircase leading up. Within the first door on the left, it had found its intended prey and moved closer.

So, these are the faces you both had before coming to our world? You truly were human. The magic of your world is so strange! Fascinating... Hmm. I wonder if that coiled-metal thing is still hot? Sika thought to herself before exiting the bedroom to head back downstairs.

The top stair creaked, and Michael's eyes shot open.

Who's there? What the?” He spoke aloud at first, then lowered his voice immediately when he felt the warmth of soft breathing against his right arm. Someone had cuddled up to him, and they were still fast asleep.

Rebecca? He thought to himself. Was it all a dream? No. She has blonde hair...

He blinked his eyes a few times, then looked closer.

Rihelah?! When did- He gasped and his breath caught for a moment while he took in the sight of her. Compared with his six-foot frame, she was tiny.

Her hair shines like this even in low light... She's so beautifu-

Hi!”

His thoughts were cut short when he noticed a head with red hair that popped into the doorway.

Sika bounced excitedly upon the balls of her feet while smiling at the sight of the pair cuddled together in bed.

Sika?! You're okay! Wait. How the fuck did you-” He exclaimed quietly before she cut him off.

I had help, but I'm not allowed to tell you about that! Let her sleep and let's talk. I have so many questions!” Her green eyes were wide with excitement as she gestured toward the stairs.

He tucked Rihelah in carefully, then closed the door to follow Sika down to the main level.

Michael noticed his headache was gone at last.

What did you want to know?” He nervously scratched the back of his head while looking down at Sika for the first time and realizing just how incredibly gorgeous she was from a human perspective. Appearing not a day over 18 years in age; her hair, curves, face, and especially her intelligent, bewitching eyes would turn heads anywhere.

Men would absolutely love being around her, and women would hate her for it.

If Rihelah was just a touch above five-feet in height, then Sika was five-feet even, at best.

Hey! You were tall in your other life! For a human, I mean. Not too bad looking, either! I can see why she likes you!” Sika grinned.

What? Who?” He furrowed his brow in confusion.

Not too bright, though...” She shook her head with a smile.

So... You had questions?” He sought refuge in a different subject.

Yes, absolutely! What's this thing, and what kind of magic is making it so hot?!” She led him to the stove where the burner now glowed bright orange, and Michael rushed forward to turn the knob back to OFF.

The next half our was spent with Michael explaining all kinds of things to Sika, who listened with rapt attention. She was especially interested in the concept of electricity, but apparently her people had their own version of plumbing.

However, Sika had difficulty wrapping her head around the idea that electricity could be anything other than magic.

She nearly lost her mind when Michael turned on the old LCD television and played portions of the DVD of Lord of the Rings. The first thing she did was move toward the screen to touch it and he had to stop her ramming her hand into the LCD screen and breaking it.

Michael gave a brief summary of the overall story, and explained how the film was an adaptation of a fantasy novel, which confused Sika. He skipped through to several parts, so she could see various things, and explained that all of it was just humans acting, and the special effects were done with camera tricks and computer graphics.

Sika shook her head after a couple minutes of trying to wrap her head around the concepts of cameras and computers. It was her turn to change the subject.

Wow... So that's what your people think we look like? They got some things right, but all the elves are too tall. If the elves are a bit off, then the ogres, well... those are just completely wrong!” She giggled, then smiled and asked to see the rest of the house.

For his part, Michael was absolutely stunned that the dragon was able to faithfully recreate even the fine details of that film just from having read his memory. But wait... Were there ogres in that movie? Maybe she confused the trolls for ogres? Hmm. But how the fuck did that dragon make functional electronics?? I don't have anywhere near the knowledge and understanding needed to make those!

Before long, Rihelah came downstairs to find them seated once more on the couch together while Michael tried to teach her a little about physics and biology. Sika was leaning in quite close with her hand upon his thigh while Michael nervously did his best to explain those things.

He caught sight of Rihelah and stood up without warning, causing Sika to tumble backward. His excitement at having had an elf lean in close while listening made itself readily apparent, and he failed miserably in his attempts to hide that fact.

You're awake!” He smoothed his shirt out nervously.

Sure am! You guys having fun?” Rihelah forced a smile.

Yes!! Your world is so interesting! And I'm not a guy, if you haven't noticed.” Sika squeezed her breasts together meaningfully toward Rihelah's with a puzzled expression.

Yes, I noticed!” Rihelah said while looking down. She took a deep breath in through her nose tried to smile again.

But inside, Rihelah felt uneasy. She thought about what she'd just learned about Michael's past, his headache, and what she had just witnessed. Taken together, it made no sense to her.

Sika cocked her head for the briefest moment, then her eyes widened in understanding and she doubled over in laughter while Michael and Rihelah stood in stiff silence.

When she recovered, Sika bounded over to a stunned Rihelah and hugged her.

Sika whispered into Rihelah's ear, “Silly mantis! What are you so worried about? Michael is fast becoming friends with me, but he'll never be my type!”

Rihelah looked at Sika in bafflement.

The elf shook her head with a smile, then kissed Rihelah lightly on the cheek.

Rihelah pulled away and folded one arm against her stomach while the other went to her cheek, her eyes wide with surprise.

Sika grabbed her into a warm bear-hug again and whispered once more, “Rihelah. He's a mantis like you. And even if he were still human, I've never had any interest in human men.”

Sika paused for a moment, then raised her voice slightly. “Much more importantly, I was told neither of you are aware of what happened.” When she pulled back from Rihelah, the elven girl was on the verge of tears.

Rihelah felt more confused than ever, shaking her head slightly to and fro with her eyes squeezed shut. She opened them to see Sika staring at her while taking large, measured breaths through her nose.

Sika wiped her eyes with her sleeve, then spoke aloud. “It is past time for you both to learn the truth about the sudden wind that blew you into the forest.” She wrung her hands, then spoke as evenly as she could manage while tears poured down her face.

Nytalis has been destroyed. The Freedom Watch attacked without warning. Many of my dear friends are dead, and survivors from the village are on the move to escape from that army above.”

Michael moved forward and opened his mouth to say something, but Sika waved her right hand, indicating he should remain silent as she continued.

Furthermore, I was given orders by someone whom I absolutely cannot refuse! I am to return to the evacuees bearing the two of you, but I cannot do so until the time allotted for you to be in this place has elapsed. I remain because I know I must, despite the fact that my heart burns with the need to be there for my sisters. Moreover, the weight of other things I have learned...” She looked at Rihelah and then Michael, then sighed.

Sika folded her arms across her lower ribs and looked down, shaking her head while the other two stood with their mouths slightly agape.

I am frustrated, and have been trying my hardest to remain cheerful and smile in spite of... everything...” Sika trailed off, then she looked up at Rihelah.

Whispering once again, she made sure her words were gentle. “I ask that you believe what I said about Michael, for it is the absolute truth.”

Utterly stunned, Rihelah couldn't think of anything to say. She stepped forward mechanically and embraced Sika tightly while her own tears began to flow.

Michael rushed forward as well and hugged them both.

It took a few minutes for Sika to calm down, but she eventually waved them off, then seated herself upon the couch.

For her part, Rihelah's tears still flowed freely as the enormity of everything that had happened since they died crashed down upon her at once.

Michael pulled her gently to him, sat across from Sika and held Rihelah while and she sobbed quietly against his chest.

When Rihelah had dried her eyes, Sika took her hand and spoke brightly. “There's no point worrying about things we are powerless to change! That said, I'm thirsty; and that's something we absolutely can change! What sorts of things did you drink in your world? Has this space been furnished with anything?”

Rihelah's face brightened at the idea. She hopped up to put a kettle of water on, and they soon shared Rihelah's favorite tea; konacha served in authentic Japanese stoneware cups.

Sika's eyes widened at the flavor, and she couldn't stop sipping until it was gone.

That kind of tea is traditionally served with sushi.” Rihelah said with a wistful smile.

For the next ten minutes, Rihelah and Michael explained sushi to Sika while showing her gorgeous full-color photographs in a book titled, The Comprehensive Guide to Sushi and Sashimi.

This “sushi” looks lovely! Some of it reminds me of foods I have already tried. Fish is often eaten by my people, and we don't always cook it. Still, the artistic way sushi and sashimi are plated is something I should like to experience!” Sika's green eyes practically glowed as she fawned over image after delicious image of the artfully crafted dishes.

As they finished their tea, Sika pulled Rihelah aside and began whispering to her again. Seconds later, both girls were giggling and shooting mischievous smiles toward Michael.

Since Michael couldn't hear what they were saying, he sat back in his chair to think on their situation. Something occurred to him, and he decided to shake things up by changing the subject.

Clearing his throat to grab their attention, he asked, “Hey Sika, Lophos mentioned that elves might be able to help me learn spirit magic? Is that true?”

Sika's head swiveled toward him with a shocked expression. “Help you to learn what?! Michael, that kind of magic is not something that's generally meant for humans! I mean enkelyn! Bah! The point is, it's not something either of those species is usually capable of, with very few exceptions... So why would you ask about it?”

So there are a few who can? In that case, will there be a problem if I try? I'm pretty sure I can manage it, as long as it's a simple spell. My trouble is, I don't know anything about magic.” He replied.

Then will do my best to teach you the most basic of spirit magics, but please don't be discouraged if you are not able to learn it. Humans are better-suited to manipulating temperature and stone to a lesser degree. As such, fire and ice magics are quite common. Nearly one in ten humans has some innate capacity to learn those. Perhaps one in fifty can learn stoneshaping.”

Sika's face tightened a bit while she thumbed her chin lightly, then she continued.

But spirit magics... To put things into perspective, I only know of two humans on the entire continent who have managed to learn the spell you are about to attempt. The only enkelyn who are capable of any spirit magic are born with it as a natural defense. That said...”

They moved to the training area, and Sika began teaching Michael how to visualize and summon a basic storage space based upon manipulation of spiritual energies.

To everyone's surprise, Michael got it right on his second try.

A circular portal appeared in front of him. The interior seemed massive from their perspective; nearly as large as the practice cavern they currently stood in. Satisfied, he released the vision and it faded away.

Learned new utility spell: Spirit Storage

You may summon the entrance to a personal storage space at any time to deposit or withdraw items with a thought. Must be holding the object in order to place it within storage. Must be capable of lifting an object to do so. Withdrawing objects from your storage carries no such restrictions on mass, size, or quantity.

Items within your spirit storage age at a rate 100-times slower than normal. Placing living things within is not advised, as the interior lacks air. Spirit storage exists entirely within the spirit world, and objects held inside will not impede your movement.

The entrance to your storage has no effect upon the physical world.

Internal volume: 1 cubic meter. Storage will remain open until you close it.

This utility spell will not count against your spell limit.

Cost: 20MP to access.

Michael used the spell, instantly creating a larger portal to a perfectly-formed, cube-shaped room with walls resembling the night sky.

Sika's jaw fell open. “Remarkable... Even young elves who possess the talent take weeks to-”

Rihelah figured it out with a single attempt, receiving the same notification as Michael.

Sika goggled at the pair, then stared off toward the far wall of the chamber, swaying unsteadily while she stammered. “How can this...? Both of you?? Lord Auronox preserve us...”

The elf walked listlessly to one of the benches near the entrance, and plopped down to look at the floor and think while Michael and Rihelah excitedly talked over their new storage spell and its many uses.

Minutes later, Sika was startled out of her quiet brooding by a flash of light accompanied by the sound of something streaking through the air. Her body felt a powerful wash of heat and then the shockwave from a loud explosion and she tucked into a roll as she fell off the bench, ending upon one knee and ready to fight.

A puff of smoke rose toward the ceiling of the large room. One of the human-shaped practice targets had been obliterated. All that remained were bits of burning wood. Meanwhile, Rihelah hopped up and down energetically while Michael grinned at her.

What in the hells was that?!” Sika hollered while getting to her feet.

You weren't listening? Rihelah said to cover our ears before she used her fire spell!” Michael replied with a cheerful laugh.

Make certain others are prepared before you launch a dangerous spell! I know you aren't from our world, but some things should be obvious! Ahh! You're lucky elven bodies heal quickly! My ears are ringing!” Sika snapped loudly.

Sorry! I was really excited to show both of you one of the new spells I created!” Rihelah said sheepishly.

You created your own spells? You, who have just come from another world where there is no magic?” Sika said flatly.

I'll have enough mana to cast it once more in just a moment! Wanna see?.” Rihelah responded, still bouncing with excitement.

Indeed.” The elf said as she moved forward to join them.

Great! Cover your ears!” Rihelah exclaimed.

When she was certain the others had done so, she looked at the second target and cast her spell.

About one body length in front of her, a familiar shape composed entirely of bluish flame appeared and shot forward with a flick of its three pairs of wings, arcing slightly to the left before homing in on the target and erupting in a bright explosion of blue flame that incinerated half the wooden dummy before blasting its burning remains against the stone of the far wall. The intense heat washed oppressively over them, but that pulse faded away almost instantly. Once again the loud shockwave felt like a gut-punch.

Sika said nothing and turned to Rihelah with wide eyes.

Rihelah looked at her spell's information in the interface for a moment.

Maiden's Pursuit: Summons one fiery maidenfly spirit plus one per 200 INT. Maidenflies will chase your target(s) for up to 15 meters plus 10 meters per 100 INT.

Maidenflies can maneuver around obstacles and will have no physical effect beyond the sound of their wings and their visual appearance if they fail to reach their targets. Upon contact with your target, maidenflies detonate, releasing a small but powerful shockwave along with intense radiant heat. If the primary target is slain before any maidenflies make contact, they will immediately seek other enemies at random, chasing until they make contact or their travel distance is exhausted. May choose up to one target per maidenfly, or assign multiple maidenflies to individual targets.

Fixed temperature of transient fireball: 3,480 degrees Celsius.

Beware: This spell will damage allies who are close to your targets.

Cost: 100MP

It's called Maiden's Pursuit. My first spell! The other one is water-based, so it's not as flashy. Also, I'll have to wait for my mana to regenerate before I can cast again. But it's so awesome!!” Rihelah hopped up and down excitedly while she spoke.

Now I understand why She hinted that you were both... It all makes sense. I know I must believe Her and yet...” Sika mumbled to herself.

What makes sense?” Michael inquired.

Something I'm not allowed to say. You'll find out soon enough.” She brushed that topic aside while staring at the spot where the target had been, then looked at Rihelah again.

Just don't go using that spell unless it's absolutely necessary! That magic is a lot more dangerous than it looks! If you hit someone in the neck, well... it might even kill a human with one blow! That kind of power is uncommon for enkelyn, especially those who aren't fully-grown queens. Even Zauna's fire magic isn't so hot or as violent as what you just did...” Sika spoke to Rihelah as a mother might when teaching her child about fire safety.

For the next ten minutes, Rihelah received advice on how not to kill herself or others with fire and explosions. Sprinkled in alongside the things she already knew were tidbits about; how the ants made use of fire, and how dragon fire was apparently so hot it could literally burn anything.

When Sika seemed like she had finished lecturing her at last, Rihelah asked with bright eyes, “So... are you interested to see my other spell?”

0