Prologue – The End of The Beginning
152 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Within the bustling streets of New York City, two men were having a conversation in an alleyway often overlooked by the public. One of them was significantly older than the other. He looked to be around the age of 80. Both wore suits. It was a slow day. It had just rained, and the sky was full of dark clouds.

"I believe you already know why I called you here," Said the younger man. "Mr. Browning." 

"Yeah," Replied Browning, lighting a cigarette. "you guys won't be able to protect me anymore, no?" 

"Unfortunately so..." The younger man checked his watch. "You have about 2 minutes left." 

"Want one?" Asked Browning, offering a cigarette. 

"No, I'm fine." The younger man sighed and looked at the clouds above. "I will say, Mr. Browning, it's been one heck of a ride dealing with you." 

"You too, kid."

The younger man checked his watch once more and said to Browning, "I'll be seeing you, Mr. Browning." 

Browning chuckled and said, "I doubt it, kid." 

The younger man began to leave, and Browning watched as he did so, knowing that he would never see him again. Just before exiting the alleyway, the younger man took one last look at Browning, and Browning beckoned him to keep going. Finally, the young man turned the corner, and Browning could no longer see him. 

"What a shitty place to die." Thought Browning, looking around the Alley. It was a damp place. The air was heavy and had a sense of gloominess. “60 years and the Earth still has places like these.” 

Suddenly, Browning felt the cold metal of a pistol pressed up against the back of his head. 

"Right on time too," Browning said, checking his watch. "I assume you've found all my research, seeing that you're not here to capture me." 

For a split second, Browning could hear the man squeeze the trigger, so he closed his eyes. Unsure of why the man behind him didn't shoot, Browning opened his eyes, and to his surprise, he no longer saw the alleyway in which he was. Instead, a black void and the sensation of being underwater. Browning's brain throbbed, and he tried to clutch his head but found that he could not move. All of his senses seemed to be numb as if he were dreaming. Apart from the dark void, Browning could see a blue wisp of light. 

"No," The light seemed to say. "you still owe me a few favors." The voice seemed muffled, yet it reverberated throughout Browning's body. 

At first, he was confused, but his confusion soon went away after feeling as if he were falling. The blue light grew smaller as he began plunging into nothing. His body felt high-speed winds wrap around him. He knew he was not falling, yet his heart beat rapidly. Eventually, he became unconscious. 

8