Chapter 2
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I failed on being secretive as I was caught by someone. 

A count? 

I never thought I'd meet a noble here. Also, it seems that people who live here recognize him, too. 

Well, it wasn't my obligation to answer him anyway. 

I pretended not to hear the man and turned my back on him.

I started walking towards a different direction, towards an alley that I hadn't been to yet. 

"Hey you! Get back here!" 

I narrowed my eyes. 

Noisy. 

Whatever, I'll just ignore him. 

"You disrespectful rut! Show your face to me instant!"

Fortunately, I concealed my face with a cloak. It would be annoying to hear him shout, 'Hey woman!' to me. 

I could hear his shouts, and still I continued my steps in a hurried manner. 

Apparently, the man didn't follow me or else I would get into an unnecessary conflict. 

I clicked my tongue. 

How nosy... 

I hate man's guts. Can't he just mind his own business? Going too far as to call a stranger just because of unavoidably listening to gossip. 

What was a count doing here, anyway? Shouldn't he be living in a better place than a village such as this?

Just because he was a noble doesn't mean...

I stopped in my tracks as a thought entered my mind. 

A noble, huh?

Was I a noble myself?

Well... 

That is probably not the case. 

Why was I living in a hut then? Far from society?

Or perhaps, I was a commoner... 

The last one is the most probable. 

However, where was my family? Do I have my own? 

A lover? 

My head started to hurt. I don't even know how old I am. 

Judging from what I saw in the mirror, I must be around in my early twenties or younger. I do not really know. 

Maybe, I'm not even from here.... 

How was I suppose to know?

My gaze landed on my feet. The sandals that I wore were already on the verge of breaking apart. The soles were worn out and the straps...

I could probably use this for two days at most if I were to continue what I was doing.

Should I buy a new pair?

This situation was a bit problematic because of the fact that I'm running low on money. The money I had stashed in the hut was rapidly decreasing because I was going out everyday. Not that it was a lot in the first place. 

I need to find a job... 

However, I really have no idea about the skills I possess or what profession I had before losing my memory. 

Well, can I clean? 

As for my identity... 

I will just have to use a fake name until I remember my real one. 

But it is a bit of a problem... 

I do not know what alias I will use. 

What things do I like?

Hmm, I don't really know.

Hobbies?

Well... 

That's a stupid question; I don't really have any basis for this. 

This leaves me with no choice. 

Then, I'll just have to rely on the environment then, or the things around me. 

I hope I can get a decent name out of this. I don't really want to think because I'm afraid I'll suffer from a headache again. 

I scanned my surroundings. All I see are buildings such as inns, shops, taverns, etc. 

I shifted my gaze below... 

Concrete road, dust, feet... 

Useless. 

I raised my head. 

The sky, clouds, a bird–what bird is that? 

A raven, I guess. 

That's it! 

I'll just go with Raven. 

Raven... I guess that's fine. 

It doesn't sound weird to use it and I don't want a flashy name either. I dislike feminine ones too. 

 

Suddenly, a scent of freshly cooked food wafted around my nose. It was probably because I was hungry that my stomach responded with a growl. 

I searched for the source of the delicious aroma, and as if my feet had a mind of its own, I started heading in that direction. 

It was a local restaurant. 

I guess, I'll pause playing detective for a while. I need to earn my self some pocket money for my trips here and there. 

I hope I can get jobs in this village or else I have to move to the nearest city which is quite far away. 

So, I have to be diligent. 

I would be fine with anything. 

Where should I start? 

Looking around, I realized that I was already in front of the food establishment. 

On second thought, I should replenish my appetite first. 

************

"... I am sorry miss Raven. "

"No, its alright." 

I smiled politely at the lady who owned the small shop I was applying to. I was thankful that she was considerably nicer than the other shop owners whom I asked for employment. 

I left the shop immediately and crossed it out of the list of shops I had in mind. I picked the shops that could fit with the things I am capable of doing at the moment. 

Unfortunately, that was the last one. The other shops here required expertise that I wasn't really familiar with. 

In short, I had no idea about them. 

I sighed in resignation as I continuously wandered around the street. My pace kept on getting slower.

Should I call it a day and head back home?

I don't really have anything to do either. So, I decided to stay a bit longer in the village. 

If it wasn't my lucky day... 

I stopped in my tracks as I saw a familiar figure standing not far away. The said figure was in front of a weapon store. In his hands was a sword which had intricate patterns and what looked like a strong and sharp blade. 

On the contrary.... 

Tsk.

He's going to get scammed. 

It looks like a cheap counterfeit. 

That stupid count is gonna get ripped off.

Look at his eyes, he looks like he's going to buy it any minute. Let's see what you'll look like once you find out that the sword is only sturdy in appearance. 

I shrugged. As much as it pleases me to disappoint the arrogant noble, I really did not want to get involved with him, so I just turned my heels and decided to head the other way.

I had to get away before I catch his attention. 

Step. 

I felt a tug from my elbow.

Don't tell me...

I felt a sense of foreboding. 

"Well, if isn't the disrespectful brute I met earlier?

0